closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice ; Selling diamond engagement ring

Master

Advice ; Selling diamond engagement ring

Hello

My girlfriend wants to sell her diamond engagement ring.
    She has had it assayed and has all the paperwork.

She is of the opinion most likely the bulk of its value is in the diamonds rather than the mount.
    I know there are a few professionals on here , any advice as to the best approach to selling ?

Many thanks

Ask for it back man!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m afraid I was not the culpret responsible for said sparkly finger cuff.

Been there , done that and would rather have the old boyos chopped off than repeat that dreadful episode.

Master
    Is it a decent size? The Diamond i mean

There are a few jewellers on here. Post the details of the stone and I’m sure a few would reply with a suggested private valuation. If she has a valuation for insurance purposes you can be sure that will be many multiples of a private sale price

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    There are a few jewellers on here. Post the details of the stone and I’m sure a few would reply with a suggested private valuation. If she has a valuation for insurance purposes you can be sure that will be many multiples of a private sale price
    BTW, why is jewellery always like this - other stuff isn't (cars, houses, watches etc)?

Who are these dodgy valuers trying to kid?

Advice ; Selling diamond engagement ring

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    BTW, why is jewellery always like this - other stuff isn't (cars, houses, watches etc)?

Who are these dodgy valuers trying to kid?
    Their not trying to kid anyone. The valuation is based on what it would cost you to buy another from a jeweller if you needed to replace it. Jewellers markups are huge hence the difference between private and retail price.

The same applies to your furniture etc if you had a fire. The difference between a used sofa and a new one is similar

Edit to add watches are also included. That new Tag isn’t worth what you paid but you would be compensated the full retail price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having asked this question before, with respect to upgrading my wife's ring I very much doubt it's worth selling.

- The diamond will be worth a fraction of even what you can buy diamonds for online
    - The gold will be negligible.

Best course of action is to sell the gold mount for cash and re-use the diamond in another piece of jewellery.

You can try selling on eBay if you must sell everything, be prepared for a very low figure

My Mrs sold a diamond ring recently, nothing quite like an engagement ring, but still nice. We found simply walking around independent jewellers and getting prices worked best, and there was surprising but reassuring consistency in the offers. She got less than she anticipated but a fair and decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Having asked this question before, with respect to upgrading my wife's ring I very much doubt it's worth selling.

- The diamond will be worth a fraction of even what you can buy diamonds for online
    - The gold will be negligible.

Best course of action is to sell the gold mount for cash and re-use the diamond in another piece of jewellery.

You can try selling on eBay if you must sell everything, be prepared for a very low figure
    These were my exact thoughts.

Craftsman
    A few years ago I tried to help a family member sell an engagement ring off. The offers we got were about 1/3 of its purchase. The diamond itself was nearly 1carat and quite a good quality one from the gradings.

In the end it was used as part payment towards another jewellery piece, he got about the same price as trade in, think it was slighty more due to buying something else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Their not trying to kid anyone. The valuation is based on what it would cost you to buy another from a jeweller if you needed to replace it. Jewellers markups are huge hence the difference between private and retail price.

The same applies to your furniture etc if you had a fire. The difference between a used sofa and a new one is similar

Edit to add watches are also included. That new Tag isn’t worth what you paid but you would be compensated the full retail price.
    There is a certain amount of kidding involved. If they are not trying to kid anyone how come when you for instance buy a diamond engagement ring for say, £5K, they routinely give you an insurance valuation on it priced at £8K? The only people who benefit from inflated insurance valuations are the insurance companies as they can charge more to insure an item it would cost them maybe £2-3K to replace but it gives the customer the warm feeling they got a bargain.

As you know, I work in the trade, but not on the retail side ;-)
    Last edited by Padders; 26th October 2022 at 10:41.

Is the right thing to do not to give it back to the poor sod who shelled out for it in the first place?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Is the right thing to do not to give it back to the poor sod who shelled out for it in the first place?
    The poor sod is her scumbag ex husband and she bought the thing with her own money not that she needs to justify anyone's judgemental assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    There is a certain amount of kidding involved. If they are not trying to kid anyone how come when you for instance buy a diamond engagement ring for say, £5K, they routinely give you an insurance valuation on it priced at £8K? The only people who benefit from inflated insurance valuations are the insurance companies as they can charge more to insure an item it would cost them maybe £2-3K to replace but it gives the customer the warm feeling they got a bargain.

As you know, I work in the trade, but not on the retail side ;-)
    Yes, exactly, buy something for £X given a valuation certificate for £X++.

Master
    Here are some deets

White gold , 3 stones .

Largest 0.557 carat colour F-G Clarity SL2 , cut grade good “fancy”

X2 0.216carat (total … not sure if that is both or individual)
    colour G (or better) clarity VS , cut grade good small fancy .

Insurance valuation is $6485 NZ from 2003

Ring is described as a “one off” 18ct (750) with makers mark HM “Herb Merkle”

Having been through similar in a former life, there is often no where near the perceived (or certified) value. Essentially a lot of traders see these in terms of scrap value (mostly the weight of the metal). If somebody is very lucky, they mind find a buyer 'as is' but I wouldn't hold my breath. I ended up taking the best 'scrap' offer just to shift it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Stick it up on sales corner. I might buy it and give it to my daughters partner to give him a kick up the jacksie!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Stick it up on sales corner. I might buy it and give it to my daughters partner to give him a kick up the jacksie!
    Nothing like the gentle approach eh! My father felt similar with my sister, he got there eventually on his own steam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    You might have a choice soon, my other half called off our wedding on Tuesday so if I can get it back there will be a princess cut sapphire and diamond one up in sc as well. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    You might have a choice soon, my other half called off our wedding on Tuesday so if I can get it back there will be a princess cut sapphire and diamond one up in sc as well. :-(

Oh dear sorry to hear that .
    Having gone through one marriage and one long engagement after that ; both of which thoroughly reamed me out …. my own stance on this is never again unless Charlize Theron is doing the asking or its a duchess with no living relatives aged about 100 in an iron lung preferably in a coma and hopefully just given the last rites by the same priest who married us a moment earlier.

Master
    Losing a ring is small change compared to what a divorce would cost you. Better to change your mind three days before (like I did, and I wasn't popular) than three days after

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    All these stories would encourage me to buy a cheap ring and spend the difference on something else, maybe a new watch whilst in the same shop. After all it's the thought that counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    All these stories would encourage me to buy a cheap ring and spend the difference on something else, maybe a new watch whilst in the same shop. After all it's the thought that counts?
    Exactly - nowt wrong with CZ plus a nice wrist piece!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Exactly - nowt wrong with CZ plus a nice wrist piece!

Brave Tony, brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Brave Tony, brave.
    Bear in mind I'm on my third, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Bear in mind I'm on my third, Chris
    Me too............................

Sorry to hear that.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if it wasn't going to work, better now than later.

Chin up.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 30th October 2022 at 03:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    ...and she bought the thing with her own money...
    :(

That single sentence sums up what her previous relationship must have been like.

I hope she gets a good wodge for her ring. And I'm glad she's met someone nicer.

That's tough, sorry to hear it.

As others have said better to find out now Vs go through a divorce later. Won't help much right now but hopefully you get through it soon enough.

Master
    I'm no expert but would single solitaire diamond rings not be more likely to hold a better percentage of their cost.
    I used to have a wry smile when people tell you how much a ring is insured for.
    Great. So you have to pay exorbitant insurance and if it's lost they tell you where to go for the replacement ring.
    Smoke and mirrors.

Craftsman
    Thanks to the advice of a fellow TZ user I managed to get a ring for 2/3 of the valuation given to me when I went to pick it up on Friday.

Go on Blue Nile and you’ll find a ball park figure for the stones. 👍🏼

If the ring was appraised. She knows the color, carat, cut and clarity

Appraisal is a replacement value and not a sale value

Go with her and shop it around to find the best price for it.

High quality. Higher end stores. Good quality. Mid range stores

DON

Maybe consider listing in a jewellery / gemstone auction?

Fellows in Birmingham as an example.