closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: reMarkable 2 e-ink tablet

reMarkable 2 e-ink tablet

Evening TZ,

I'm going to try out the reMarkable 2 tablet as I'm being a student again, and note that there's a referral scheme that gives the referrer (you) some funds whilst also discounting the purchase price. I have one of these codes already, but would prefer it benefit someone on TZ rather than a (more!) random person online - do let me know if you have a referral link that you'd like me to use?

Cheers,
    Hugh
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 30th October 2022 at 17:00.

A little nudge before I go for the randomer's code

Master
    No code, but interested to see how you get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    No code, but interested to see how you get on with it.
    I've gone for the randomer's code so they'll be getting a £40 bonus for posting it online!

I'll certainly let you know how I get on; I'm going to give this a good try-out as they have a 100 day trial period. I suspect will take quite some getting used to, and there's a lot of competition out there too so it'll be interesting to see what I do/don't get on with and see how it integrates with the rest of my working methods.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion on the RM2 also, especially as the Kindle Scribe has been announced and is coming in time for the Christmas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-scribe/dp/B09BSQ8PRD/

Subscribed to the thread and, as others have said, looking forward to hearing more.

I'll certainly update once I've spent some time with it; hopefully arriving in the coming days. The Kindle Scribe was a no no for me as it's currently only possible to make comments on documents using a text box comment function, rather than being able to write onto the document 'directly'. That feature may change in future, but for my use (essentially a printed PDF replacement) it's not suitable. For those wanting to make notes on DRM protected ebooks though the Scribe may be better as the reMarkable will not accept lots of DRM restricted content, precisely because it's not an ebook but an enotebook.

It's worth noting that there is now an awful lot of competition out there in the write-on e-ink tablet market. Some are more like e-ink iPads/Galaxy Tabs such as the Boox Note series of devices, then there's the Supernote A5x/A6x, or Quirklogic Papyr to name just a few, in descending level of application add-ability. Bottom of the multifunction list will be the reMarkable 2, but that's why l'm getting it, as I only want to use it to replace printing paper articles and writing on them.

For anyone out there considering an e-ink tablet, YouTube is your friend and you'll find a heck of a lot of comparison videos out there. Watch a lot of them, as the devil really is in the detail with these really quite niche devices, but that niche seems to mean there are a heck of a lot of naysayers, bribed shills and general vitriol in the discussions of the 'community'.

If other devices had such a generous trial periods, l'd be trying them out too, but the reMarkable is currently the only company offering such a try-out period. I'll certainly report back when I've given it a try.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th October 2022 at 00:03.

Master
    I’ve got a Remarkable 2 and have had it for about year. Excellent tool which I use every day.

If anyone has any questions on the Remarkable, let me know.

Below is my referral link which will give you £40 off:

https://remarkable.com/referral/8ERK-5XVX
    Last edited by tredders; 31st October 2022 at 23:43. Reason: Added referral link

Master
    Blog Entries
    Used one for about a year also, it's fantastic for what it does

A year or so on, how are you reMarkable 2 owners getting on with it?

Question 1: Can you search/tag all your notes to find them with ease? Thinking of buying one for wife, primarily to capture recipes, but would only be useful if they can be found via key word searching or at worst, a tagging system.

Question 2: Can you embed URLs, for example, to YouTube videos, in your notes? If so, do they open? It not, perhaps an iPad with OneNote or similar might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    A year or so on, how are you reMarkable 2 owners getting on with it?

Question 1: Can you search/tag all your notes to find them with ease? Thinking of buying one for wife, primarily to capture recipes, but would only be useful if they can be found via key word searching or at worst, a tagging system.

Question 2: Can you embed URLs, for example, to YouTube videos, in your notes? If so, do they open? It not, perhaps an iPad with OneNote or similar might be better.
    1 is more important than 2 if anyone is able to assist. Perhaps the silence is telling...!

I've not used the tagging system, but it does exist. The search function in the main documents area only searches titles, it doesn't search for words within the PDF documents themselves or tags. There is a 'Find' function for words when you're actually within a PDF though.

The tags, having literally just tried for the first time, tags individual pages or entire documents. I can't see a way to search tags, it looks like you have to click on the tag which will then show documents and pages that have been tagged with that particular tag.

Embedded URLs don't open browser pages. They work to take you to pages within the document (like a contents page, if appropriately linked) but there is no web browser on which to view anything, or an ability to play videos. I don't see why you couldn't put in a URL, but I don't know how you'd test it was functioning without then opening the document on a suitable device.

I still have mine, use it very infrequently but I find it useful for accessing PDFs when away from my laptop especially during meetings and conferences etc. It's handy having notes to hand wherever you are in a compact format like this. I suggest seeing it as an ereader with added functions rather than a tablet for reading on.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I've not used the tagging system, but it does exist. The search function in the main documents area only searches titles, it doesn't search for words within the PDF documents themselves or tags. There is a 'Find' function for words when you're actually within a PDF though.

The tags, having literally just tried for the first time, tags individual pages or entire documents. I can't see a way to search tags, it looks like you have to click on the tag which will then show documents and pages that have been tagged with that particular tag.

Embedded URLs don't open browser pages. They work to take you to pages within the document (like a contents page, if appropriately linked) but there is no web browser on which to view anything, or an ability to play videos. I don't see why you couldn't put in a URL, but I don't know how you'd test it was functioning without then opening the document on a suitable device.

I still have mine, use it very infrequently but I find it useful for accessing PDFs when away from my laptop especially during meetings and conferences etc. It's handy having notes to hand wherever you are in a compact format like this. I suggest seeing it as an ereader with added functions rather than a tablet for reading on.
    Thanks very much for your helpful reply and for testing out the tagging. Appreciated!

If the search function only searches across Titles rather than across all content then I'm beginning to think its not the the best device to be the one-stop-shop for writing up home recipies, where ideally one should be able to search for one ingredient and be returned with all dishes (they wrote up) that contains that food item.

Tagging could serve that purpose in part, but it seems it would perhaps a primitive search, i.e. tagging recipies as 'breakfast' or 'dinner' and then being able to view them that way. Not quite fully fledged as the list of returned documents with tag 'dinner' could be very long (in good time).

Thanks nevertheless for your help.

Thanks very much for your helpful reply and for testing out the tagging. Appreciated!

If the search function only searches across Titles rather than across all content then I'm beginning to think its not the the best device to be the one-stop-shop for writing up home recipies, where ideally one should be able to search for one ingredient and be returned with all dishes (they wrote up) that contains that food item.

Tagging could serve that purpose in part, but it seems it would perhaps a primitive search, i.e. tagging recipies as 'breakfast' or 'dinner' and then being able to view them that way. Not quite fully fledged as the list of returned documents with tag 'dinner' could be very long (in good time).

Thanks nevertheless for your help.
    No worries at all. It depends how the home recipes were being written, but if you think they'll be edited or added to using a word processor, then I'd suggest a different device. The integration with such programmes is there, but it's very basic. Some functions are also limited to paying the 'Connect' subscription which is £2.99 per month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    No worries at all. It depends how the home recipes were being written, but if you think they'll be edited or added to using a word processor, then I'd suggest a different device. The integration with such programmes is there, but it's very basic. Some functions are also limited to paying the 'Connect' subscription which is £2.99 per month or so.
    Thanks again. Actually the reason for contemplating such a device - they'd be hand written. Currently there are a bunch of print outs, other bits of paper with written notes (containing corrections, amendments, etc.) just not organised and then having to go through each bit of paper before landing on the correct one. I don't think my wife would type everything up, but would be up for re-writing them out, in a way that makes sense to her, with personal notes, arrows/bubbles/etc. However, if notes on the reMarkable cannot be edited then its for a sure a no go. Cheers.

OneNote on an iPad is certainly overkill (and expensive) so will keep looking.

Thanks again. Actually the reason for contemplating such a device - they'd be hand written. Currently there are a bunch of print outs, other bits of paper with written notes (containing corrections, amendments, etc.) just not organised and then having to go through each bit of paper before landing on the correct one. I don't think my wife would type everything up, but would be up for re-writing them out, in a way that makes sense to her, with personal notes, arrows/bubbles/etc. However, if notes on the reMarkable cannot be edited then its for a sure a no go. Cheers.

OneNote on an iPad is certainly overkill (and expensive) so will keep looking.
    You can indeed edit notes you've written. You add/erase them as if using a pencil and eraser (with a pen that has that functionality) or use the Remarkable's inbuilt function. Benefit too is you can move text you've added around. You can only add to files that you've downloaded onto your Remarkable i.e. by writing on them as if they were printed. You can't go in and remove anything that was present in the files at the moment of download as they're all converted to PDFs when put onto the device. But if they're you're 'handwritten' ones then you can edit them as much as you like.