closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautionary tale: A Lange & Sohne repair return

Master

Cautionary tale: A Lange & Sohne repair return

This feels more ominous with every passing second.....

https://youtu.be/9tzFCXiFLVs

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Yeah saw this. Quite interesting tale on how to deal with people...Handled themselves quite well and got the result required so all well

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Also raises the safety of grey market purchases. I’m sure some ‘BNIB’ watches have had casebacks opened in the process. Surely dealers would want to verify authenticity prior to taking something in trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Also raises the safety of grey market purchases. I’m sure some ‘BNIB’ watches have had casebacks opened in the process. Surely dealers would want to verify authenticity prior to taking something in trade.

It wasn't bought grey market. Bought from an Italian AD.

Blog Entries
    This does reinforce the lesson that we should all know anyway: Keep photos whenever the watch leaves your possession.

In an only slightly different scenario, the watch could have been swapped with a fake.

This also reflects on the eBay authentication scheme (as discussed in a couple of threads): One really, really needs to know if eBay's authenticators (Stoll & Co) will open a high end watch. Repairs that might cost thousands make a substantive difference to the value of a watch.

Interesting video, thanks for the work to explain clear all the story. The moral is good learning lesson. Pictures!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting, very interesting listen. I would also like to add that having only seen the Zeitwerk in magazines it didn't really attract my attention, but after looking at this video for 30 mins+ must say what a beautiful piece and gorgeous open caseback, a stunner

Master
    My money's on the London AD as the culprit. They said they'd look to see if they could fix it, then claimed they didn't open it?!

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    My money's on the London AD as the culprit. They said they'd look to see if they could fix it, then claimed they didn't open it?!

Agreed, and therefore poetic justice (and who's to say that they didn't have any photos of when it arrived in their care). Nailed on, I'd say.

How does he stay awake while hearing his own voice? I lasted 20 seconds. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How does he stay awake while hearing his own voice? I lasted 20 seconds. What happened?
    This may sound harsh, but......

Bought the watch at a discount via a friend from Italy.

Said friend 'acted as a mule' and brought it into Uk.

Had watch 'valued' at a grey dealer.

Watch developed a fault so taken to UK dealer (which Italian mate's dealer undercut) for 'help'.

UK dealer had a play but said they could not fix it.

Has a hissy fit after repair quote from manufacturer - UK dealer sucks it up, all is good............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Watch developed a fault so taken to UK dealer (which Italian mate's dealer undercut) for 'help'.

Has a hissy fit after repair quote from manufacturer - UK dealer sucks it up, all is good............
    LOL. Thanks.

Master

A bit harsh lol. Big difference between fault and clumsy damage.

You missed out the bit where there was a photo that proved the issue occurred after handing the watch to the UK AD. Pretty important part of the story!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    LOL. Thanks.
    Yes thanks, no problem with his voice but he could have told the story in five minutes not 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Yes thanks, no problem with his voice but he could have told the story in five minutes not 30.
    Agreed. It also reinforced why I’m happiest with straightforward tool watches, rather than this uber-luxury stuff.

When I took two Rolex into Goldsmiths to go to RSC, they photographed them extensively, as did I before dropping them off. I think that’s important.

As an aside, I did wonder if the Lange owner paid the taxes due on import to the UK? He had it valued for insurance purposes, but I’m aware claims can be difficult if you can’t demonstrate this.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Agreed. It also reinforced why I’m happiest with straightforward tool watches, rather than this uber-luxury stuff.

When I took two Rolex into Goldsmiths to go to RSC, they photographed them extensively, as did I before dropping them off. I think that’s important.

As an aside, I did wonder if the Lange owner paid the taxes due on import to the UK? He had it valued for insurance purposes, but I’m aware claims can be difficult if you can’t demonstrate this.

Dave

That would be hilarious if he now receives a £10k VAT bill through the post

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

Dave

Really? If I buy a watch on SC should I ask for proof that VAT was paid, possibly several owners ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Really? If I buy a watch on SC should I ask for proof that VAT was paid, possibly several owners ago?
    One of the reasons I always to prefer UK watches, especially Rolex. 160 everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    One of the reasons I always to prefer UK watches, especially Rolex. 160 everytime.
    Maybe if the premise was true (which I doubt). Anyway, what is 160?

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    One of my Rolex watches was originally sold in Hong Kong, but I bought it from a well known UK dealer. If from SC, I would have considered the tax aspect.

D

There is no tax aspect. VAT is the responsibility of the importer, not any subsequent buyer.

Master
    Enjoyed that and even thought the author's voice wasn't a problem. I did wonder about the taxes from Alfredo's/the author's perspective but possibly all declared as needs be.
    As my watch mojo declines, in the main I think due to a combination of working from home and trying most watches of interest to me within my price range, a £700 service seems expensive

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There is no tax aspect. VAT is the responsibility of the importer, not any subsequent buyer.

D

Blog Entries
    This, ttbomk.

Surely the 'importer' was either him or the friend who brought it over for him?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Had to be his friend.

At least we all know how to pronounce the brand name properly now

(I won't mention JLC...)

Master
    Another reason why I like the cheapies. 95% of the quality of the big names at <5% of the cost. Thing goes wrong? Flog it for parts and get a new one for a tonne.

Lovely!

I really enjoyed the video as I like happy endings.

The watch and movement looked superb.

£3.5K for a repair/service, wow.

Pleased he sorted it and took photos.

I liked his wife's attitude, my wife would of castrated me for spending that much on a watch.

I would never pay that much for a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I'd say one of them is responsible for VAT but if you or I bought it VAT isn't our concern.

With the amount of tax which is deliberately not collected by any UK governments I wouldn't cry over VAT on a posh watch being declared or not.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey;[URL="tel:6086691"
    6086691[/URL]]I'd say one of them is responsible for VAT but if you or I bought it VAT isn't our concern.

With the amount of tax which is deliberately not collected by any UK governments I wouldn't cry over VAT on a posh watch being declared or not.
    This forum loves to get its knickers in a twist over VAT issues. It’s very simple:-
    1. Buy the watch overseas and import via a carrier. Carrier is responsible to charge you VAT.
    2. Buy a watch overseas and carry it in personally, you have to declare it in the red channel
    3. Buy a watch from anyone in the UK (new or otherwise I.e imported), it is implied the Seller has to pay the VAT - you pay for the watch inclusive of VAT.

you don’t need a document to show that a watch that could have had multiple owners has a VAT trail just in case HMRC tap your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Guycord View Post
    This forum loves to get its knickers in a twist over VAT issues. It’s very simple:-
    1. Buy the watch overseas and import via a carrier. Carrier is responsible to charge you VAT.
    2. Buy a watch overseas and carry it in personally, you have to declare it in the red channel
    3. Buy a watch from anyone in the UK (new or otherwise I.e imported), it is implied the Seller has to pay the VAT - you pay for the watch inclusive of VAT.

you don’t need a document to show that a watch that could have had multiple owners has a VAT trail just in case HMRC tap your shoulder.
    Might be simple but this is incorrect.

1. Many overseas retailors will collect VAT on behalf of HMRC. If they don't, carrier usually deals with it but you are ultimately responsible for it being paid.
    3. But a watch from a private seller, no VAT is due.

Blog Entries
    Might be simple but this is incorrect.

1. Many overseas retailors will collect VAT on behalf of HMRC. If they don't, carrier usually deals with it but you are ultimately responsible for it being paid.
    3. But a watch from a private seller, no VAT is due.
    3. I don't think so - though I could be wrong.. If you buy from a private seller (on Chrono24 for example), who is outside UK then you'll get charged VAT on import?

I know on the reverse in PT - I get taxed on anything that is imported from outside the EU (and it is automatic with mandatory paperwork) whether new or second hand, private sender, even gifts, there is no lower tax limit in PT. We even got taxed on xmas gifts sent from the US to PT and had to ring up the sender to tell us what it is so the correct commodity code was entered before it could be release.

I agree about the original YouTube post - it should have been 30sec long not 30mins
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    3. I don't think so - though I could be wrong.. If you buy from a private seller (on Chrono24 for example), who is outside UK then you'll get charged VAT on import?
    Was responding to previous poster's no. 3 - read my post in conjunction with that - was only referring to UK.

(I did make typo though, 'But' should have been 'Buy')

Master
    Only on TZ-UK can a thread that starts with nothing to do with VAT/import fees, ends up with more than half the posts to do with it!

The video took too long to get to the point! I was half expecting an ad to play at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe if the premise was true (which I doubt). Anyway, what is 160?
    160 is the country code on the paperwork/guarantee for a watch originally imported to the UK.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    160 is the country code on the paperwork/guarantee for a watch originally imported to the UK.
    Do you mean originally retailed in the UK (I think you do)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Only on TZ-UK can a thread that starts with nothing to do with VAT/import fees, ends up with more than half the posts to do with it!

The video took too long to get to the point! I was half expecting an ad to play at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s only a matter of time before Rolex gets mentioned.

Did you notice the auto play of “articles” branded by various YouTubers playing in that video - none were that guys work - except maybe a couple of static PowerPoint slides and a photo! Advert for those channels?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th October 2022 at 08:04.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Thanks, is this just Rolex?

I enjoyed the video and I did chuckle how nonchalant he seemed about diving into a pool with Saxonia.

It did make me go away and read about how that watch actually works and the force required to turn all the numbers at once at the stroke of an hour and how all that power is controlled.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/articl...sohne-zeitwerk

Great watch but incredibly dull and strung out video. It was pretty clear that it must have been the “master watchmaker” at Wempe which is why they begrudgingly had to foot the bill.

I had a completely different experience with another watch manufacturer yesterday. I damaged my watch that’s well out of warranty (entirely my own fault), explained how I did it and still it’s being repaired for free. Reinforces to me why I will continue buying some brands and stay well clear of others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Great watch but incredibly dull and strung out video. It was pretty clear that it must have been the “master watchmaker” at Wempe which is why they begrudgingly had to foot the bill.

I had a completely different experience with another watch manufacturer yesterday. I damaged my watch that’s well out of warranty (entirely my own fault), explained how I did it and still it’s being repaired for free. Reinforces to me why I will continue buying some brands and stay well clear of others.
    Which brand? Nice to hear positives for a change.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex havent put country codes on cards since 2020, think AP have stopped as well since all warranties tend to be intl.
    Older models are different.

Journeyman
    i liked that watch til I saw the price!, what I paid for my house 20 years ago!

I really liked the watch but one thing that would of bugged the hell out of me on a watch that price was the second number on the date looking lower than the first number.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I really liked the watch but one thing that would of bugged the hell out of me on a watch that price was the second number on the date looking lower than the first number.
    My tag Heuer grand date GMT has that stepped lay out. One of the things that attracted me to it. Different strokes.....

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Which brand? Nice to hear positives for a change.

It was with Patek, will share all the details in a few weeks when I pick up the watch. I’d mentally prepared myself to pay for a full service so it was a very pleasant surprise!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Do you mean originally retailed in the UK (I think you do)?
    Yes, imported and retailed in the UK by Rolex.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Yes, imported and retailed in the UK by Rolex or an authorised dealer.
    FTFY