Master
    Blog Entries
    Always nice to hear some good news Dunc

Craftsman
    Scary story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let’s hope they get a significant sentence, but I won’t hold my breath

Good news that they followed through on this.

Had a less than ideal experience this week. Some scrote smashed a window on my mothers car to steal her purse (admittedly it was a poor choice to leave it in the car to begin with...). They proceeded to head to the nearest petrol station and use her debit card for two transactions in quick succession, each around £30. A third was tried and denied. We have via her banking app the exact place and time of those transactions. The petrol station is covered in CCTV as you'd expect. Police interest in taking any action? Precisely zero. Opened the case to enable a case number for insurance, closed the case the following day with the rational being 'no witnesses'. Hardly surprising people steal when there's no drive to take it seriously..

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Had a less than ideal experience this week. Some scrote smashed a window on my mothers car to steal her purse (admittedly it was a poor choice to leave it in the car to begin with...). They proceeded to head to the nearest petrol station and use her debit card for two transactions in quick succession, each around £30. A third was tried and denied. We have via her banking app the exact place and time of those transactions. The petrol station is covered in CCTV as you'd expect. Police interest in taking any action? Precisely zero. Opened the case to enable a case number for insurance, closed the case the following day with the rational being 'no witnesses'. Hardly surprising people steal when there's no drive to take it seriously..
    I'm surprised it was only £30 each time. You can tap £100.

Shocking that the police weren't interested. Surely it would have been a nailed-on conviction and another solved crime statistic for not much work?

Glad they caught the scum, scary stuff, especially the dad's coat getting slashed with a knife, could have ended differently a few cm either way. I do wonder though if the police would have put as much effort in if it was just the £200 watch taken and not the £100k one? Would special branch be involved? What does that say about attention on particular crimes? So I guess money does buy justice. Correlates with previous post about their mum. Old dears purse stolen, no interest, £200 watch, no interest, £100k watch, special branch
    Last edited by Brighty; 14th October 2022 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm surprised it was only £30 each time. You can tap £100.

Shocking that the police weren't interested. Surely it would have been a nailed-on conviction and another solved crime statistic for not much work?
    Yea I guess folk smashing windows aren't the brightest sparks, three payments within 3 minutes too (3rd of which was declined), got to wonder what that looked like to the cashier. Of course the transactions will be refunded by the bank, but doesn't stop it winding me up big time. Went into the garage and asked for the CCTV myself, the guy behind the counter didn't have a clue how (understandably) but I have time with the manager this weekend. Fully expect a no, in fact I'd be pretty amazed if they would give out CCTV to anyone other than the police, but worth a try.

On top of this, another (nicer) car was stolen on the same road that night, about 15 houses down. We didn't know that until later. Given it's a quiet out-of-the-way residential area that sees very little foot traffic, I'd say there's a good chance it's the same person(s). You'd think that would be all the more reason for the police to investigate the transactions at the petrol station, wouldn't be surprised to see the bugger drive onto the forecourt in the stolen car from down the road..!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Many years ago, by human error, Lloyds sent a replacement bank card and pin no. for a savings account containing over £900 to my previous address and the money was withdrawn to the last sub £10 left in the account from a cash machine at a fuel station. The police were so disinterested in Ben though they knew beyond doubt that one of 3 people living at my parents old address had done the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Many years ago, by human error, Lloyds sent a replacement bank card and pin no. for a savings account containing over £900 to my previous address and the money was withdrawn to the last sub £10 left in the account from a cash machine at a fuel station. The police were so disinterested in Ben though they knew beyond doubt that one of 3 people living at my parents old address had done the crime.
    Ben who?

I know someone that tried to get CCTV from a council carpark due to another motorist scraping his car and not leaving a note, as they left. The council used the usual 'Data Protection Act' to deny access to the data. This is probably the legally correct response if the approach is from a member of the public.

Describing North End Road as ‘Kensington’ is optimistic at best.

Jeez... I don't care how much the watch cost it ain't worth fighting back with the guy holding a massive blade. That could have been a lot worse.

Glad they caught these scum

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Describing North End Road as ‘Kensington’ is optimistic at best.
    It is arguably West Kensington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yea I guess folk smashing windows aren't the brightest sparks, three payments within 3 minutes too (3rd of which was declined), got to wonder what that looked like to the cashier. Of course the transactions will be refunded by the bank, but doesn't stop it winding me up big time. Went into the garage and asked for the CCTV myself, the guy behind the counter didn't have a clue how (understandably) but I have time with the manager this weekend. Fully expect a no, in fact I'd be pretty amazed if they would give out CCTV to anyone other than the police, but worth a try.

On top of this, another (nicer) car was stolen on the same road that night, about 15 houses down. We didn't know that until later. Given it's a quiet out-of-the-way residential area that sees very little foot traffic, I'd say there's a good chance it's the same person(s). You'd think that would be all the more reason for the police to investigate the transactions at the petrol station, wouldn't be surprised to see the bugger drive onto the forecourt in the stolen car from down the road..!
    The lack of interest by the police in these types of crime seems to be countrywide nowadays. Perhaps they’re busy investigating other types of crime.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Police have no interest

A lot of police inactivity is due to the CPS system without firm evidence the cps stops cases in its infancy its about time they were sorted out.
    Squashy1

Rolex watch robbers (Kensington) convicted

Quote Originally Posted by squashy1 View Post
    A lot of police inactivity is due to the CPS system without firm evidence the cps stops cases in its infancy its about time they were sorted out.
    Squashy1
    This, unless it’s watertight the CPS won’t take the case. Any doubt or element of doubt and the chances of a successful outcome are almost zero.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Ben who?
    No idea. Strange typo, apologies!

Master
    As said it needs to be watertight and then the cps use the not in the publics best interest line to not proceed. I report on average 2-3 crimes per month, all with cctv coverage to back it up and so far this year only two have proceeded to anything, and arguably these are the least serious two crimes.