closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail scum…

Royal Mail scum…

So I sold a Apple Mag Charger to GMTMaster last monday, he paid, I posted by Royal Mail 1st Class signed for, insurance covers the £50 he paid.

No sign of it yet today it turns up at his address looking like this.

I’ve covered his address up, someone’s clearly ripped it open and removed the charger, i doubt it was the old lady at the post office who I know.

Unbelievable, I’ve refunded GMTMaster and now have to start the tedious claim against Royal Mail, a headache I could do without…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 12th October 2022 at 08:05.

I can read the address though the marker pen.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I can read the address though the marker pen.
    Hopefully not now.

I made the mistake of sending a strap by 'normal' post last week. Disappeared into the ether...

Master
    To add some balance, I ship about 30-50 Royal mail parcels per day, 1st class without tracking, and rarely lose one

But still very frustrating OP

FWIW the claim process for Signed For wasn't very cumbersome last time I did it several months ago, though it may be different for non-business customers

I have never worked for them but i think they have automated sorting machines that can damage mail that catches awkwardly on something.

It is very rare in my experience, i have had maybe two parcels arrive like that out of hundreds.

I'd have put the earpods in an LV bag for security..........................

Sorry!

Just a p-ss-r all round tbh, for me and the buyer, I just don't understand why someone has ripped it open, removed the item and then just delivered an empty parcel with a note on the back apologising but saying it does happen?

Hopefully I don't have any issues getting the £50 back from Royal Mail, and the postage come to think of it...

Thinking out loud here, but aren't Royal Mail currently employing loads of temp staff?

Our regular postie has disappeared and we've had four different posties in the past three months. Might just be a local thing.

Post seems to arrive OK, just arrives in the afternoon instead of the morning.

Master

Royal Mail scum…

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just a p-ss-r all round tbh, for me and the buyer, I just don't understand why someone has ripped it open, removed the item and then just delivered an empty parcel with a note on the back apologising but saying it does happen?

Hopefully I don't have any issues getting the £50 back from Royal Mail, and the postage come to think of it...
    Pain in the arse but at least it was acknowledged on delivery. And more importantly insured. I hope you call your postman /lady a scum when you see them, or do you just save that term for when you are hiding behind the safety of your keyboard?
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 11th October 2022 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    So you signed for and accepted it like that?
    I posted it, those pictures are from the buyer after it turned up a week later…

Pain in the arse but at least it was acknowledged on delivery. And more importantly insured. I hope you call your postman /lady a scum when you see them, or do you just save that term for when you are hiding behind the safety of your keyboard?
    Jeez! Are you a Daily Express reader?

That’s analogous to the reaction to Nicola Sturgeon declaring her ‘detesting the tories’ !

WTF?
    Who rattled your cage?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

All thieves are scum, and if Royal Mail employ someone who is a thief then yes that person is scum, does that help...

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    WTF?
    Who rattled your cage?
    His name is Pat in real life

Master
    My posties are wonderful. But it would be nice if the watch battery posted to me via 1st class postage last Thursday lunchtime would turn up, hard to spot when they are striking and when not at present.

Since you've received an apology from RM I'm not convinced that someone has ripped the parcel open. Had similar a few weeks ago - a strap from Fluco in Germany where delivery took three weeks, it arrived in a plastic bag and the packaging was mangled worse than this with an identical letter from RM. I put it down to an automatic sorting machine blowing a gasket. Thankfully, strap was undamaged by some miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Since you've received an apology from RM I'm not convinced that someone has ripped the parcel open. Had similar a few weeks ago - a strap from Fluco in Germany where delivery took three weeks, it arrived in a plastic bag and the packaging was mangled worse than this with an identical letter from RM. I put it down to an automatic sorting machine blowing a gasket. Thankfully, strap was undamaged by some miracle.
    Hmmm, I may have it wrong then, I just find it hard to believe a machine has caused the opening of both ends of the package (buyer confirmed it was torn open at both ends). Maybe just the frustration of paying for a service and getting a p-ss poor service back and the hassle of now having to claim against it...

Master
    It does happen but my postie is great.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashi...stole-25225061

I can only praise my local RM posties, wonderful service. Sadly you get twats in all walks of life, including on here (e.g. LV bag).

WTF?
    Who rattled your cage?
    I understand Stilgoe is a postman. I expect he read the title and thought Martylaa was calling all Royal Mail scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I understand Stilgoe is a postman. I expect he read the title and thought Martylaa was calling all Royal Mail scum.
    Ah I see.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought this was going to be about the horizon scandal…

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'd have put the earpods in an LV bag for security..........................

Sorry!
    I prefer to wrap in wallpaper…….

I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago. When I think about how many packets and parcels I’ve sent and received over the years, to have this happen only once is pretty amazing. I refunded the buyer and made a claim using the RM website. That was pretty painless. Around a week later I had a cheque for the full amount claimed.

Royal Mail scum…

Thanks so much for dealing with the issue so promptly Martylaa, really appreciate it.

I was really looking forward to receiving the item too :(

RoyalMail has gone absolutely west recently.

Our postman is also amazing but as with all ‘public sector’ industries at the moment a lot is being outsourced and the staff aren’t always of the same standard unfortunately!

Last edited by GMTMaster; 12th October 2022 at 11:47.

WTF?
    Who rattled your cage?
    Thread title is a bit vicious

This is why I cover parcels and boxes in tape, stops lazy thieves at least.

Unfortunately, there will be more and more of this during a recession, we've started to install lockable gates on our property

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thread title is a bit vicious
    Borders on being pugnacious.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    This is why I cover parcels and boxes in tape, stops lazy thieves at least.

Unfortunately, there will be more and more of this during a recession, we've started to install lockable gates on our property
    I do this, loads of tape annd bubblewrap around the parcel. Make it bombproof and difficult to open.

I also use (much maligned) Hermes /Evri for items under £50 and have only ever had one item get damaged, online claim and refunded within 28 days. Trackable as standard and 90p to insure it from the normal £20 up to £50.

Anything above £50 I use RMSD.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I do this, loads of tape annd bubblewrap around the parcel. Make it bombproof and difficult to open.

I also use (much maligned) Hermes /Evri for items under £50 and have only ever had one item get damaged, online claim and refunded within 28 days. Trackable as standard and 90p to insure it from the normal £20 up to £50.

Anything above £50 I use RMSD.
    This

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post

RoyalMail has gone absolutely west recently.

Our postman is also amazing but as with all ‘public sector’ industries at the moment a lot is being outsourced and the staff aren’t always of the same standard unfortunately!
    I know you put public section in inverted commas, but we should remember that Royal Mail is 100% private now.

RMs biggest problem, and I thought this back in 2003 just before I left after working there for 15 years, is that it was then (and still is I believe) the only licensed operator that is also saddled with the universal service obligation which means that it has to deliver to every UK address for a uniform price.

That means you can send a letter to the Orkneys for 95p (or less) when in reality it costs more than that. That was ok when RM had millions of other letters to deliver in the cities to compensate where the cost was less than the price of the stamp, but letter traffic has collapsed nowadays and is in any event largely ‘downstream access’ by competitors to the delivery network that RM is forced to operate. Competitors can offload loss making letter traffic to RM.

Packets and parcels is where it’s at, but the RM super tanker is taking a lot of turning (and investment) to get set up to compete in that area.

The facts are, RM was deemed a monopoly and broken up to enable competition to come in, which has been largely successful. RM has never been able to compete fairly though, as it has always had one hand tied behind its back with the universal service obligation. Perhaps that was necessary in the early days, but I wonder how long it will carry on?

I’d be interested to know from anybody who still works there whether it’s still the case?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I know you put public section in inverted commas, but we should remember that Royal Mail is 100% private now.

RMs biggest problem, and I thought this back in 2003 just before I left after working there for 15 years, is that it was then (and still is I believe) the only licensed operator that is also saddled with the universal service obligation which means that it has to deliver to every UK address for a uniform price.

That means you can send a letter to the Orkneys for 95p (or less) when in reality it costs more than that. That was ok when RM had millions of other letters to deliver in the cities to compensate where the cost was less than the price of the stamp, but letter traffic has collapsed nowadays and is in any event largely ‘downstream access’ by competitors to the delivery network that RM is forced to operate. Competitors can offload loss making letter traffic to RM.

Packets and parcels is where it’s at, but the RM super tanker is taking a lot of turning (and investment) to get set up to compete in that area.

The facts are, RM was deemed a monopoly and broken up to enable competition to come in, which has been largely successful. RM has never been able to compete fairly though, as it has always had one hand tied behind its back with the universal service obligation. Perhaps that was necessary in the early days, but I wonder how long it will carry on?

I’d be interested to know from anybody who still works there whether it’s still the case?
    Yeap universal service obligation is still in place, as is delivery within timeframes of 1st class etc. unfortunately RM owners have realised that it’s cheaper to not reach these delivery time obligations and get fined as they did last year than actually staff up properly and be top of the market, hence people not getting mail for days and duties / rounds not even being covered. Piss poor service for the consumer .