closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP ROYAL OAK VALUE ?

AP ROYAL OAK VALUE ?

Been recently thinking about selling my AP and thought I'd test the water with watch finder to gauge if I'd really consider it or not .....

Have AP prices flopped ?

They offered me 7k but was hoping for more.

Old Post I did when I got it....

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...+Steviefleming

They have all dropped to an extent, however relatively the 26170st Offshores hasn’t seen as massive an uplift versus newer offshores, or standard royal oaks.
    The Black, White themes and Rubber clad were the most common variants of that refernce too.

Plus it’s worth considering that at 10+ years old its probably due a service at around £2300, and an additonal iirc 2k if AP deem they wont refinish the bezel and want to replace it.
    Given the cost of APs now most potential buyers would want a shiny mint watch (and seem shocked at the price if something does goes wrong). Even if it wasnt’t serviced off the bat, and looked good enough to be punted out for sale, there’s possibly some padding to cover any unexpected costs.

Plus how low the pound is, is a factor, C24 prices appear to have gone up (or remaind stable) when in reality are signifcantly lower across the board globally.. (any dealer that heamorage’s stock and sells globally like WF will be considering the pound gaining back the 20% its lost, and pushing relative GBP prices down)

That said WF are chancing their luck at 7k, buy low sell, sell high (eventually…. Probably during a “flash sale”), somewhere in the middle of WF’s offer and the c24 dreamers that is probably where you’d want to be at.

Probably worth holding out for a while, it the apocalypse happens it’ll make a good knuckle duster.

Might be worth trying a few other dealers just in case WF have lowballed you, at least that will give you a better indication of the dealer buy in price.

I would agree that if offered for private sale somewhere between the dealer buy in and what dealers and sellers are asking on the various platforms would appear fair. You get a bit more than the dealers are offering and the buyer saves a bit on advertised selling prices. Obviously the servicing needs to be factored in, but even listed on here it may present a good opportunity for someone who is interested in your watch.

Master
    AP prices are certainly nowhere near what the grey dealer asks would have you believe, in many cases their buy in offers are less than half what they are advertising them at,

that said i would have thought 7k is on the low, borderline insulting, side for your watch.

Master
    £7k! That is low. I'd love to know what they'd plan on retailing it at.

Great points from endo however £7k is unbelievable, particularly as WF are an accredited AP service centre.

Im selling something atm and from four quotes WF were lowest at £7.9k, then one at £8.5k and two others at £9k. Definitely compare the market.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    7 is low even for a themes.

Cheapest ROOC on C24 is £16K, albeit from a dealer.

Low offers are how polite dealers say "no-thanks".

Don’t forget there’s 8% commission on chrono
    There will be haggling so I would wipe off 20%of the chrono price of 16000 that will give you around 12500-12800 monies received
    If you are a dealer there will be tax etc to pay further eroding the total by at least another 20% 30% so that takes it to say 9-10 . What’s the dealer’s margin if around 15-20% that will give you a price close to what you have been offered not withstanding prep and service costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there and had that debate with AP when I sent it back for a service with them ....they wanted an extortionate amount for a new bezel which I thought was perfectly fine as it was...

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    They have all dropped to an extent, however relatively the 26170st Offshores hasn’t seen as massive an uplift versus newer offshores, or standard royal oaks.
    The Black, White themes and Rubber clad were the most common variants of that refernce too.

Plus it’s worth considering that at 10+ years old its probably due a service at around £2300, and an additonal iirc 2k if AP deem they wont refinish the bezel and want to replace it.
    Given the cost of APs now most potential buyers would want a shiny mint watch (and seem shocked at the price if something does goes wrong). Even if it wasnt’t serviced off the bat, and looked good enough to be punted out for sale, there’s possibly some padding to cover any unexpected costs.

Plus how low the pound is, is a factor, C24 prices appear to have gone up (or remaind stable) when in reality are signifcantly lower across the board globally.. (any dealer that heamorage’s stock and sells globally like WF will be considering the pound gaining back the 20% its lost, and pushing relative GBP prices down)

That said WF are chancing their luck at 7k, buy low sell, sell high (eventually…. Probably during a “flash sale”), somewhere in the middle of WF’s offer and the c24 dreamers that is probably where you’d want to be at.

Probably worth holding out for a while, it the apocalypse happens it’ll make a good knuckle duster.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Markets falling and no one knows the bottom? Can you blame them?

Go talk to dealers as already mentioned, any option on here is off the chart as in a market like this we are the last to realise.

Try subdial. Found their prices are a good balance.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Try subdial. Found their prices are a good balance.
    Wouldn't bother, it'll be a SOR offer.

I agree
    They told me that as well for a popular crown watch
    Seems they’re not interested in taking anything on as a purchase just a sor

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Wouldn't bother, it'll be a SOR offer.
    A lot seem to be taking that stance SOR. My flat 4 LV a few months ago was either a terrible bid or SOR

Sent from my SM-G780F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    There is a big distortion between what AP dealers are offering vs what the watches are selling for.

A recent auction saw a 36mm 1980s steel AP (cant remember the ref) fail to reach reserve with a high bid of £8,000. Cheapest equivalent watch on Chrono24 was £30,000. There is a lot of stuck AP stock at grey dealers.

AP ROYAL OAK VALUE ?

AP’s traditionally don’t hold value the best unless limited to halo pieces, as they are as a design quite polarising, but build quality is generally very good . What they do suffer from as well as they’re other expensive brethren of the trinity
    , as do the latest Rolex is that they have jewel like finishing, (highly polished angled surfaces),which does mean once the shine has literally worn off,( because they are not tool watches of the old school ),they invariably look a little worse for wear and have lost a bit of their identity . A battered tag,doxa,rolex or omega sub look …well “cool” .
    That is not to say if you owned an AP or Patek you should baby them but a large part of their appeal is the way the light catches the angles of the case and bracelet (ap has multiple facets in the bracelet alone ,as does pateks beads of rice).
    Still an amazing looking watch and would love one as would most members here.
    The design for me falls definitely in the NEED one category .

Last edited by Pan16520; 13th October 2022 at 12:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    AP’s traditionally don’t hold value the best unless limited no halo pieces, as they are as a design quite polarising, but build quality is generally very good . What they do suffer from as well as they’re other expensive brethren of the trinity as do the latest Rolex is that they have jewel like finishing (highly polished angled surfaces),which does mean once the shine has literally worn off( because they are not tool watches of the old school ),they invariably look a little worse for wear and have lost a bit of their identity . A battered tag,doxa,rolex or omega sub look well “cool”
    That is not to say if you owned an AP or Patek you should baby them but a large part of their appeal is the way the light catches the angles of the case and bracelet (ap has multiple facets in the bracelet alone ,as does pateks beads of rice).
    Still an amazing looking watch and would love one as would most members here.
    The design for me falls definitely in the NEED one category .

I agree. Very much in the need category for me too. An AP ROO of any variety is my grail.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    There is a big distortion between what AP dealers are offering vs what the watches are selling for.

A recent auction saw a 36mm 1980s steel AP (cant remember the ref) fail to reach reserve with a high bid of £8,000. Cheapest equivalent watch on Chrono24 was £30,000. There is a lot of stuck AP stock at grey dealers.
    There can be a lot of factors there, dial colour, model and condition, how many times it’s been refinished. A mint blue dial 14790ST is infinitely more desirable than an out of shape / bimetal or other colour, there are also early and later dials and bracelets, the later ones being more adjustable I believe.

You used to see some messy examples on Chrono24 with bezels finished right up to the hex bolts, or in one case I saw one where someone had clearly attempted to unscrew the bolt! You rarely see them now though, they’ve probably been snapped up and sent back for a complete case and bracelet replacement and returned to brand new. Either that or they are on their first refinish. It may be that the one at auction had a reserve higher than the model and condition merited, though no doubt there are also fewer people trying to flip them for a quick profit in the current climate, the ones already on sale may not move quickly and it’s a hefty investment.

Is this the 'modern day' equivalent to my Black Themes would you say ?

All Titanium and very similar to mine.....

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...2000TI.01.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    £7k! That is low. I'd love to know what they'd plan on retailing it at.
    So would I .........as they have Safaris at £22k +

and this 2010 Steel variant at £32k !!!

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Audema...03/item/220009

Master
    The one at £32k is crazy but I have seen a few sites list the that blue face ROO very high. I think they are trying to link it the reissued original version which is stretching things to put it mildly.