closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont Longitude

Bremont Longitude

I understand that there is a love or dislike of the brand.

But having recently stumbled across one of their models, the Longitude, with their first in-house movement, I wonder what other members think?

I like the dial layout, especially the PR, and Large date, shortness of the distance from lug to lug, WR 100m, lume.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ture-movement/

Craftsman
    I quite like the design of this watch, apart from the Roman numerals, and the colouring seems a little bland. But far too pricey for me. I look forward to seeing the cheaper models using this in-house movement - hopefully no more than £5K without all the complications (although I do like the power reserve “ball” in the Longitude).

I tried one on today actually. Only window shopping, but it’s very nice indeed. Thankfully I can’t afford it.
    Great size too.

On pure looks alone - I like it.

But what is this? “the brand’s long-anticipated manufacture movement”

Is that meant to be ‘movement manufacture’ transposed?

Well, it's not an in-house movement. Not for the money they are asking. If one is comfortable for that kind of money then by all means. It is a fine watch and Horage are great manufacturers. But don't stretch yourself out for it.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Well, it's not an in-house movement.
    I know that it's a 'can of worms' topic and not one that I have really ever cared about but surely it's as close to an in house movement as most other claimed in house movements barring one or two exceptions?

regardless, it's a really nice watch but very expensive, for the stainless steel model at least.

there's no doubt that Bremont are doing some very special work in UK (watch) manufacturing and long may it continue. It's about time that the focus was put back on UK engineering and manufacturing.

Some photos i took at the launch event last year.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyg156; 9th October 2022 at 08:57.

I do like them and would ideally prefer to try one on.
    I did speak to a the Boutique in Bristol yesterday, they have the W/G one on display, but I would go for the S/S version.
    Though, the price is ridiculously high for that version!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a great thing and finished to a very high standard. Not cheap though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I understand that there is a love or dislike of the brand.

But having recently stumbled across one of their models, the Longitude, with their first in-house movement, I wonder what other members think?

I like the dial layout, especially the PR, and Large date, shortness of the distance from lug to lug, WR 100m, lume.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ture-movement/
    That article is dated October 2021. I wonder what the the Brothers have been up to since then?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

^^^ New watches being released on 13 October.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

H1?

Whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    To be fair as much as I like Horage there is a lot more work put into that movement than what I have seen in Horage watches.
    Yet they are still asking for in-house money for a non in-house movement. It's all relative. If it was truly in-house they could ask whatever they want for it. I have no idea why they are playing these games. They are not doing themselves any favours and I find the whole thing totally embarrassing and very strange. Specially as this is the second time they are sending paradoxical messages as it regards their movements.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Yet they are still asking for in-house money for a non in-house movement. It's all relative. If it was truly in-house they could ask whatever they want for it.
    talk about paradoxical messages.

what games are they playing exactly? Simply trying to get to a position where they can claim to have a mass produced, entirely UK manufactured watch. Seems like quite a reasonable venture to me. They're not there yet but given such a relatively short time frame, they're making great in roads.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It’s Bremont, no matter what they do people will complain. Tudor and Breitling share movements nobody cares, Cartier uses Piaget, other brands use Zenith etc…
    Yeah, but Tudor and Breitling aren’t charging 15k for a three handed steel watch (ok, with a big date complication).

I agree with the argument that in-house isn’t really in-house if it’s a licensed movement. This definitely applies to most mainstream brands including swatch group but the issue with Bremont has always been one of value and messaging.

For those that like them and don’t mind paying a premium, more power to you. For me, licensing a 3rd party Swiss movement design, manufacturing some of the parts in the UK and proudly banging on about how uniquely British your manufacturing is, doesn’t count for much. In any case, it’s out of my price league anyway so my opinion doesn’t count for much!

YMMV.

Master
    New case design with an integrated bracelet, crown protector and movement from the Longitude.
    I expect it to be in the guise of Genta styled RO, Nautilus, Laureato etc. watches. That's my educated guess anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Yeah, but Tudor and Breitling aren’t charging 15k for a three handed steel watch (ok, with a big date complication).
    I agree about the price in this instance but if the same movement ended up in a watch around the same price as a Tudor or Breitling, would that change your opinion? Assume that the price of the Longitude SS was an anomaly.

"For me, licensing a 3rd party movement design, manufacturing some of the parts in Switzerland and proudly banging on about how Swiss your manufacturing is, doesn’t count for much. In any case, it’s out of my price league anyway so my opinion doesn’t count for much!"

I altered your comment above simply to show that the rhetoric is no different to any other watch brand. Let's face it, we've spent the last thirty or so years being told that Swiss watches and Swiss manufacturing is the best in the world. May be the tide is turning? I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    New case design with an integrated bracelet, crown protector and movement from the Longitude.
    I expect it to be in the guise of Genta styled RO, Nautilus, Laureato etc. watches. That's my educated guess anyway!
    Sounds appealing but there are three different silhouettes in the Bremont press release. I'm assuming that there must be three different watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Sounds appealing but there are three different silhouettes in the Bremont press release. I'm assuming that there must be three different watches?
    3 models with 1 new case, all with the manufactured in the UK movement?

Not sure. It looks like two or three different cases?

https://www.bremont.com/pages/new-ge...E5YONXTiw_bAkM

Master
    1 is a new case, the other will be based on an Airco. No idea about the third.

Setting aside the price (which is nuts, I agree) the Roman numerals at 12 kill it for me.

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Setting aside the price (which is nuts, I agree) the Roman numerals at 12 kill it for me.

Simon

I have to agree. The designs all seem needlessly fiddly and baroque to me. The best watches out there have simple design language, with refinement in the fine details for those who look for them. Bremont just haven't cracked it in my view being all over the place, having precisely no visual brand identity over even relatively short spans of time. There are micro-brands out there on a fraction of the design budget that make a better fist of this.

There are almost no watches I would buy from Bremont at £1.5k, let along £15k. The ongoing BS over 'in house' movements is neither here nor there in my view, if they can't make a watch that looks properly integrated. Shame to say it, as it would be lovely if Bremont could single-handedly resurrect the British watch industry. But whoever is responsible for the designs frankly hasn't much of a clue. Compare Bremont with Nomos - effectively a 1990s start-up, so only 30 years old, with something of a similar story of ebauche use progressing to full-in-house capability - and the cack-handed amaterishness of Bremont's whole approach is stark.

It seems to me Bremont are trying to jump to premium brand positioning without earning their chops or indeed doing much more than throwing money at marketing. And frankly it's been little short of a disaster.

New models to be announced and shown on their website at 19.30 hrs today.