closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about heat pump tumble dryers?

Master

Talk to me about heat pump tumble dryers?

Currently using a Bosch 8kg vented & I will retire this garage for backup.
    What makes & models do you have or recommend?
    Any makes to avoid?

Apologies for the #mumsnet question

Master
    I can give you a review when swmbo returns from a short break. Much lady hand wringing was done on how best to save the planet on a modest budget. I did not get involved. As a user, it is a bit fiddly to set. But not awful. V quiet and cooler outside than old machine. Also quicker but I put that down to the generational performance gap and not a sign of relative performance vs. a trad drier.

Sharp KD-NHH9S7GW2-EN

https://ao.com/product/kdnhh9s7gw2en...81211-126.aspx

Journeyman
    We’ve had this one for a few months:

https://ao.com/product/ntm1192skuk-h...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

No complaints so far and it’s very quiet compared to our previous one.

I worked out at the time that we would make back the cost of it in lower energy consumption over and above a basic one within about a year and that was before energy price increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    We’ve had this one for a few months:

https://ao.com/product/ntm1192skuk-h...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

No complaints so far and it’s very quiet compared to our previous one.

I worked out at the time that we would make back the cost of it in lower energy consumption over and above a basic one within about a year and that was before energy price increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What is the power draw on these things like on say a standard 30 min dry ? I couldn't see it in the specs (unless I've missed it )

B

Master
    Cheers guys keep them coming

We've had one of these Bosch ones for the past 9 months. Takes a bit longer to dry than our old externally vented one but it only uses about a quarter of the energy. We've plumbed the water container in permanently to the waste trap using the built in 8mm hose so there's no periodic emptying of it. It's also very quiet in operation and the wifi connectivity is useful as it informs me when to do a care cycle as I'd usually forget!

Master
    I bought one 18 months ago, biggest waste of money in my view. I found the room had to be really warm to get it to dry things the same day. The only program I ever used was Jeans and it was the only thing that did it before my next birthday. I wouldn’t buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bosch, heat pump dryer and it’s garbage. The touch screen on/off is particularly irritating.

Found it’s better to use the garden clothes line whatever the weather or a clothes horse. Perhaps this was the environmental objective.

Much prefer something with a push on/off switch, low/high heat rocker and a rotating timer knob than programmed nonsense.

Have Bosch washer, dryer and dishwasher and found the build quality and performance to be disappointing.

Might give LG and Samsung a go when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're buying a new tumble drier and your current one still works. What kind of craziness is this?

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Am I right in saying these don't need an external vent?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Our Bosch is a condenser. Two options, collect condensate in the reservoir which needs pulling out and emptying, or connect the condensate hose to a waste pipe, like the waste of the washing machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Correct.

Supposedly quarter the running cost to standard vented/condenser.

We bought a Beko heat pump dryer in February, having never previously owned a tumble dryer, and a full load of T-shirts, towels and the like on a mixed cycle takes about an hour to dry so I can't understand complaints of taking ages? Maybe we're doing it wrong?

The water compartment needs emptying after each use, but I might hook it up to the waste pipe.

We haven't used it since March so for us it's very much a cold/wet weather solution.

Craftsman
    We got a Miele - 2 years in and works like a treat.

Craftsman
    If you live in an area prone to limescale the condensate comes in useful for irons, screen wash, rinsing cars etc. No good for kettles as it tastes funny…

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Heated clothes airer in the winter and washing line in the summer…. We have a washer that also drys in case speed is an issue

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Heated clothes airer in the winter and washing line in the summer…. We have a washer that also drys in case speed is an issue
    We have the same setup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That’s a good shout but for those with younger families it would take too long. I’m forever washing football and rugby kits

We have an AEG which seems fine, I’d imagine they’re all fairly similar. It dries at a lower heat which I actually think is better for the clothes

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    If you live in an area prone to limescale the condensate comes in useful for irons, screen wash, rinsing cars etc. No good for kettles as it tastes funny…

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Some people recommend filtering it, because of tiny fluff.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I bought one 18 months ago, biggest waste of money in my view. I found the room had to be really warm to get it to dry things the same day. The only program I ever used was Jeans and it was the only thing that did it before my next birthday. I wouldn’t buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is what’s putting me off, I’m looking at an LG one but it will be in the coolest part of the house and I’m not sure if it will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    We got a Miele - 2 years in and works like a treat.
    This ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    This is what’s putting me off, I’m looking at an LG one but it will be in the coolest part of the house and I’m not sure if it will work?
    If the room has to be warm for the drier to work there’s something wrong with the drier. Heat pump driers are designed to work in ambient temperatures of about 7c and above. Ours is in the utility room which isn’t heated and works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    If the room has to be warm for the drier to work there’s something wrong with the drier. Heat pump driers are designed to work in ambient temperatures of about 7c and above. Ours is in the utility room which isn’t heated and works just fine.
    Likewise, ours is in the unheated garage and works just fine?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Likewise, ours is in the unheated garage and works just fine?
    Thanks both above, generally only use my current vented for a couple of hours a week so will have to look at the costs.

if you're concerned about saving energy, most of the energy goes into heating the water in the wet clothes. If you just leave the water canister in the dryer, it will radiate the heat back into your house so very little energy is wasted in the winter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Correct.

Supposedly quarter the running cost to standard vented/condenser.
    Thanks

Master
    Had a Bosch one that was v.unreliable and took forever to dry the stuff. Technology may be better now. Only use ours, a condenser, when there is no drying day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    That’s a good shout but for those with younger families it would take too long. I’m forever washing football and rugby kits

We have an AEG which seems fine, I’d imagine they’re all fairly similar. It dries at a lower heat which I actually think is better for the clothes
    Yeah…. Mines an AEG too…. Has a special washing then drying feature - okho? And it doesn’t turn stuff crispy like other dryers…. Usually broken out when we have an unexpected guest and need bed clothes!