closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 8L35 - Any experience with servicing?

Master

Seiko 8L35 - Any experience with servicing?

I am a bit worried, as I am located in Europe, and have heard that these watches would have to go back to Japan for servicing.

Is it true that no watchmakers outside of Seiko has access to these parts? It means that I would not be able to send it to an independent, when service time comes?

Seems like most all the watch brands nowadays are cornering their buyers, into having to send the watch to them at each service, with their in house movements its easy really, if they do not provide the consumables/parts.

Have you had to send your Seiko / GS to Japan? If so what are the servicing costs and service like? Have you done so through your local Seiko AD or shipped it out yourselves? I mean shipping to Japan and back would cost 200-300 Euros for shipping alone.

Thanks for any advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    I am a bit worried, as I am located in Europe, and have heard that these watches would have to go back to Japan for servicing.

Is it true that no watchmakers outside of Seiko has access to these parts? It means that I would not be able to send it to an independent, when service time comes?

Seems like most all the watch brands nowadays are cornering their buyers, into having to send the watch to them at each service, with their in house movements its easy really, if they do not provide the consumables/parts.

Have you had to send your Seiko / GS to Japan? If so what are the servicing costs and service like? Have you done so through your local Seiko AD or shipped it out yourselves? I mean shipping to Japan and back would cost 200-300 Euros for shipping alone.

Thanks for any advice.
    I checked the servicing cost for my Marine master 2020 MM300 with Seiko U.K. and it was approx £350 and didn’t need to go back to Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just had my SBDX001 serviced at Seiko UK. It cost £350 inclusive but was movement service only – no polishing or finishing of any kind.

They checked the bracelet for me and supplied a few spare pins and collars.

It now runs at +5 secs per day.

I guess you could ask a local Seiko dealer and see if they send to the UK or a European centre, or contact the UK centre yourself. It would mean customs forms but maybe the Seiko centre would know more?

Good luck.

A watchmaker can dismantle and rebuild it if they custom make a little tool to free the rotor ( i have seen it done )

But the problem is that Seiko dont let anyone know the oiling plan or sell the parts.

An Australian watchmaker made a video about it complaining because there is nothing special about the movement, its just Seiko doing this on purpose so it has to go back to them.

Master
    Thanks for replies. Well 350GBP still ain't cheap for a movement only service, but at least better than sending it to Japan.

Issue if it's done in UK, is that I will still have to contend with duty, taxes etc. since it is no longer in EU.

I will check with the one local Seiko AD, but doubt they will be of much help, through previous experience with them.

I serviced my SBDX001 with Seiko NL, cost €389 in June, took around 2-3 weeks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

It will be done locally depending where you are in the EU

I tried to pay extra to have one sent to Japan and polished by the Zaratsu elves themselves and was told no, not possible at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    I serviced my SBDX001 with Seiko NL, cost €389 in June, took around 2-3 weeks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks. Seiko NL is much better for me. A planned trip there would also be doable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It will be done locally depending where you are in the EU

I tried to pay extra to have one sent to Japan and polished by the Zaratsu elves themselves and was told no, not possible at all.
    Why not? I think you should try another Seiko Rep.

If Zaratsu is only made in Japan, then I think it's only fair to have it sent there and refinished.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Why not? I think you should try another Seiko Rep.

If Zaratsu is only made in Japan, then I think it's only fair to have it sent there and refinished.
    This is the case for GS but not regular Seiko regardless of movement.

I spoke to Seiko UK so that was that.