closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Funerals in Spain

Funerals in Spain

Have just heard that my father-in-law died yesterday. Sad, but not completely unexpected.

He was living in Spain, and recently married to a Belgian/Spanish dual nationality lady. As this is the George, I will just say that she is an unpleasant person, and is universally disliked by the family.

Anyway to the point; he died in hospital yesterday, and she is saying that the funeral is tomorrow. Is this normal for it to be so soon after death? Quite a few people would have liked to have gone.

They don't hang about. Sounds normal.

Sorry to hear that. Regardless of how he lived it’s still sad to a degree.

Normal if he’s a Muslim (they do it ASAP, same day if possible) otherwise that’s strangely soon I think.

Mick or Passenger might know more for that country.

It’s quite normal for Spain (and I presume any hot country).

Historically, they had to bury the body ASAP for obvious reasons and the tradition has continued even though we now have refrigeration.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2 days is quick, but yes they are generally much faster - think the one my wife went to was 4 days. I expect as long as the death isn't suspicious it's literally how fast you can book the funeral arrangements.

Can't speak from experience but yes funerals 24 hours after death aren't unusual although my understanding is it's not mandatory and these days with refrigeration the period can be extended to await the arrival of family from overseas.

Thanks all. We suspect she's not delaying it, to avoid anyone being able to attend. Realistically, I think only a couple of his children would have been able to go anyway; he was in his 80s and remaining friends and family are obviously old as well.

I suspect there will be some sort of get together in this country, where we can remember his life.

Master
    It's fairly common in Spain from a traditional pov but it's not like Islam or Judaism where the body must be buried within a certain period; sounds like she's rushing it on purpose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Can't speak from experience but yes funerals 24 hours after death aren't unusual although my understanding is it's not mandatory and these days with refrigeration the period can be extended to await the arrival of family from overseas.
    Depends on the region.

I am in Almeria and you really have to have a good case not to have the Cremation or Burial within 48 hours. Also they expect very prompt payment.

You can arrange for the body to be sent back to another country but the decision has to be made very quickly after death.

Also to my knowledge, they won't wait for relatives to arrive from overseas. The cremation/burial normally goes ahead and you can arrange a memorial service afterwards.

It happens very fast in Spain, no mañana in the funeral industry.
    Last edited by Mick P; 4th October 2022 at 12:53.