closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Jewels of The British Isles ?

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far
    Posts
    2,851

    Jewels of The British Isles ?

    Jewels?

    https://www.iglucruise.com/seabourn-...r-2023_c287055

    Jewels? Really? Great Yarmouth, Falmouth, Fishguard???

    from £7706.00 ! Really!!!

  2. #2
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,908
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Jewels?

    https://www.iglucruise.com/seabourn-...r-2023_c287055

    Jewels? Really? Great Yarmouth, Falmouth, Fishguard???

    from £7706.00 ! Really!!!
    I'll pass...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  3. #3
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,790
    And they missed out Hull!

  4. #4
    Grand Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,007
    “Clutching at Pearls” more like.

  5. #5
    They’ve also missed out Weston super-mare.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 1st October 2022 at 06:32.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    They’ve also missed out Weston super-mare.
    Be grateful for small mercies.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  7. #7
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    19,643
    They missed out Skegness.

  8. #8
    ..and Margate.

  9. #9
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oxfordshire UK
    Posts
    6,969
    ....not forgetting Jaywick Sands.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,562
    And the Jewel of the North... Blackpool

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,866
    The only reason they stop at Portland is because of the cheap mooring fees.
    The place is a sh..hole

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    And the Jewel of the North... Blackpool
    shouldn't that be stool

  13. #13
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,929
    Oban and Ullapool are pretty nice.................

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Oban and Ullapool are pretty nice.................
    Only in Oban a few weeks ago and thought it was very nice.


  15. #15
    Jewels or places where they can stop to refuel lol

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,275
    Blog Entries
    1
    Surprised that Rhyl and Llandudno are not on the list

  17. #17
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,475
    To be fair, it wouldn't be a bad tour for anyone totally new to the British Isles - but definitely not the list I would come up with were I asked to suggest Jewels.

    I can enjoy myself anywhere in the British Isles if I haven't been there before - yes, even Hull. The old part is surprisingly sccenic and fascinating.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,059

    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Oban and Ullapool are pretty nice.................
    I agree.

  19. #19
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,661
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    The only reason they stop at Portland is because of the cheap mooring fees.
    The place is a sh..hole
    There are some lovely views from the top.

    Castletown is a total dive, though

    I think most of these locations are ports with excursions to 'nicer' places.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvAZK5KePQ8

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Surprised that Rhyl and Llandudno are not on the list
    Was just about to post Rhyl. To be fair it does make Llandudno look like a jewel

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Was just about to post Rhyl. To be fair it does make Llandudno look like a jewel
    I remember years ago when I was living in Chester, we went to Rhyl to watch Roy Chubby Brown about 22 years ago.

    The show and the pubs before was one hell of an eye opener & spent most of the time dropping the ends of words in some attempt to hide a posh southern accent!

    We never returned.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I remember years ago when I was living in Chester, we went to Rhyl to watch Roy Chubby Brown about 22 years ago.

    The show and the pubs before was one hell of an eye opener & spent most of the time dropping the ends of words in some attempt to hide a posh southern accent!

    We never returned.
    Count your blessings you got out alive!

  23. #23
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    11,885
    Blog Entries
    5
    Can hardly flog a cruise called “ the kazi’s of the British Isles”
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    608
    I don’t know about Falmouth harbour itself, but the surrounding creeks and countryside are beautiful.

  25. #25
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,335
    After being on 'Butlins afloat' you'd probably be glad to have a break in those places. Sounds like a floating working mens club.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  26. #26
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    19,006
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Can hardly flog a cruise called “ the kazi’s of the British Isles”
    They could if it stopped at Grimsby.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    They could if it stopped at Grimsby.
    If you think Grimsby is "grim" try "Mingingham" just up the estuary.

  28. #28
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    11,885
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    After being on 'Butlins afloat' you'd probably be glad to have a break in those places. Sounds like a floating working mens club.
    Not at those prices not a working man’s club more like one of those gentleman’s clubs.Seabourn cruises are a high end product aimed on this occasion at the overseas market.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Derbyshire
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    The only reason they stop at Portland is because of the cheap mooring fees.
    The place is a sh..hole
    Can’t agree with that. There’s plenty to do and see inc. bird life and amazing views of Chesil beach. But, each to his own I guess


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,253
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Not at those prices not a working man’s club more like one of those gentleman’s clubs.Seabourn cruises are a high end product aimed on this occasion at the overseas market.
    The poor, gullible sods buying into this jewels dream! But I suppose if you believe that a cruise and quick stops in different ports / countries shows you all you need to know about a place, then let people spend and be happy.

  31. #31
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,661
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Can’t agree with that. There’s plenty to do and see inc. bird life and amazing views of Chesil beach. But, each to his own I guess
    Yeah, lots to do (I dive there a lot), but the towns are still sh*tholes.

    Sadly, Weymouth isn't much better away from the old harbour these days.

    Dorchester's still pleasant.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    If you think Grimsby is "grim" try "Mingingham" just up the estuary.
    lol

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,327
    Surprised nobody’s suggested Scunthorpe…

  34. #34
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,929
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    If you think Grimsby is "grim" try "Mingingham" just up the estuary.

    Grimsby and Las Vegas - the two places in the world, where you can pay for sex................. with chips.

    Imingham was always known in seafaring circles - as MingMing.

  35. #35
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,335
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Not at those prices not a working man’s club more like one of those gentleman’s clubs.Seabourn cruises are a high end product aimed on this occasion at the overseas market.
    Ah I see. Out of my league then.

    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,501
    If only Seaton Carew had a cruise ship terminal.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,059
    Do they moor at Wigan Pier on this particular cruise?

  38. #38
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    They’ve also missed out Weston super-mare.
    Cruise ship wouldn’t be able to dock there, could perhaps get a minivan from Avonmouth.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    If only Seaton Carew had a cruise ship terminal.
    They used to have a canoe

  40. #40
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    16,158
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    ...Seabourn cruises are a high end product aimed on this occasion at the overseas market.
    I note that they dock at Greenock.

    Passengers could opt for the bus trip to Glasgow to the Argyll Arcade for some bling-bling or get a taxi over to Port Glasgow & buy an £8k flat.

    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY
    ______

    ​Jim.

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ah I see. Out of my league then.

    Evertime i see that i think of Skyman...wonder if he is booked on the cruise...

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,022
    Obviously their marketing manager used to be an estate agent -

    £550 per night - you could get a decent hotel for that and be able to go out and walk around without the threat of being keel hauled.



    B

  43. #43
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,908
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I note that they dock at Greenock.

    Passengers could opt for the bus trip to Glasgow to the Argyll Arcade for some bling-bling or get a taxi over to Port Glasgow & buy an £8k flat.

    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY
    Tempting ^
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  44. #44
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Obviously their marketing manager used to be an estate agent -

    £550 per night - you could get a decent hotel for that and be able to go out and walk around without the threat of being keel hauled.



    B
    I didn't realise they had proper entertainment, perhaps worth it after all!


    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Evertime i see that i think of Skyman...wonder if he is booked on the cruise...
    LOL.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  45. #45
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Cruise ship wouldn’t be able to dock there, could perhaps get a minivan from Avonmouth.
    There are regular cruises from Avonmouth, makes a difference seeing a ship full of people rather than cargo go up and down the channel..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information