closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you take notes at work? Alternatives to the old notepad?

How do you take notes at work? Alternatives to the old notepad?

I’ve worked in large corporate companies for years and I’ve always relied on a trusty notepad and pen to take notes in meetings. Blue pen for notes and red pen for actions.

But I keep meaning to find a better way. My notes aren’t very organised and so it’s a pain to find something I wrote a while ago. Also once a notepad gets full it gets put in a drawer and never looked at again. Plus if I lose or forget my notepad somewhere that’s everything lost.

There must be a better way.

I’m just a bit concerned if I go for an electric solution on my phone, tablet or laptop that it will look like I’m writing emails or messages in meetings, which I always think is very rude.

I’m interested in your recommendations. What apps/devices/other do people use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ipad Pro with Apple Pencil & GoodNotes. Can integrate/scan in other things, works like a treat. :)

I tried an iPad Pro and pencil once. Found it was solving a problem that didn't really exist and I also managed to lose a £90 apple pencil too. I've gone back to a notepad and pen. I've seen people use big A4 day-per-page diaries if they need to keep tabs on when notes were written for future reference.

I use Google Keep where I am right now but I think I'm going to move to Evernote or something similar when I can be bothered.

In the last company I worked at I used One Note as we had Office 365 which was very good for organising.

I'm debating an iPad Pro in Oct when the new ones come out with a keyboard but it's a lot of money to take notes Vs a laptop.

I've heard great things about reMarkable 2 but my handwriting is terrible and slow so haven't investigated.

I went through the same process, got myself an Ipad with pencil and Goodnotes but I just can't pull myself away from my trusty A5 lined notepad and HB retractable pencil, if I need to write something quickly its just there. I can see the immense benefit of writing on a device but the actual writing just doesn't feel the same. Perhaps I should give it another go with the paper-like film.

Master
    I have looked into a few options to move my note tacking away from paper. ReMarkable 2 and Supernote seemed very good but ultimately I felt they were too expensive for what they were. I needed up going for an old Pixel book from SC and got the google pen to take handwritten notes on it. App wise I'm using Google keep but there are plenty of other options.

OneNote works perfectly well for me. I've not used a paper pad since I started using it.

Blog Entries
    I've been in a similar situation for the last 3-4 years; I keep coming back to an A5 notebook and pen(s). I find there is something cathartic about actually writing something down.

However I did find OneNote absolutely brilliant, with so much functionality.

Craftsman
    I use a combination. Haven’t found one method that’s suits all my needs.

When jotting things down I use a notepad. I work in tech, so all my techie notes are on notepad for windows. I do find it a nightmare finding things I need, as I can’t figure out a good way to organise them.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    OneNote works perfectly well for me. I've not used a paper pad since I started using it.

This, if your company uses Office365 then Microsoft OneNote is great for exactly what you're describing.

Grand Master
    I used to use an A4 hard-backed notebook and a small pocket notebook for making notes whilst out on site. When a book was full it would be filed away, I kept them for several years before disposing. Simple but effective system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I used to use an A4 hard-backed notebook and a small pocket notebook for making notes whilst out on site. When a book was full it would be filed away, I kept them for several years before disposing. Simple but effective system.
    Apart from when you want to search for something specific, or get all the notes for a certain topic & is then useless as there are no tags or ability to smart search for anything.

Unless you spent the time to catalogue all the notes by book and page number for future reference.

It’s the equivalent of a physical yellow pages in the current modern world, but even worse as it’s not even alphabetical. I cannot even think of how bad a comparison your way of working was to be honest.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s the equivalent of a physical yellow pages in the current modern world, but even worse as it’s not even alphabetical. I cannot even think of how bad a comparison your way of working was to be honest.
    Disagree, any electronic device is fallible and the info could be lost. I worked in laboratories and chemical plants, on most plants electronic devices were banned unless intrinsically safe owing to flammability zoning in place. Sketches and diagrams were often produced on the hoof, sometimes from places that were only accessible via scaffolds and ladders in wet weather, not the ideal place for an electronic device or the best place for typing or whatever.

Without being able to relate to the job I did and the working environment you really aren`t in a position to criticise; also, I retired at the age of 52 in 2010, for the majority of my career the electronic options didn`t exist.

Trust me, it worked!

Master
    Apart from when you want to search for something specific, or get all the notes for a certain topic & is then useless as there are no tags or ability to smart search for anything.

Unless you spent the time to catalogue all the notes by book and page number for future reference.

I retired in 2010 but I was well organised by using a Filofax. I went on a 2 day time management course in the early 1990s and techniques on how to fully use the Filofax was the main thrust.

Samsung Galaxy Note?

Whole organisation moved over to laptops and Office 365, so Microsoft Teams and OneNote became the default way of working. Everyone in the meeting brings a laptop so no paper needed, all the docs are on the Teams meeting workspace for that particular project. A set of templates got everyone working in the same formats from the off. Saved literally tons of paper too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pen and paper to start with and then, if it matters I either rewrite or photograph it and email it to myself and let google cope with preservation - just give the email an obvious and distinct title and a date. Simple and accessible in all situations that you have a phone.

Master
    When I first started in sales my old boss told me that ‘the written word is ten times more powerful than the spoken word’ for explaining things to clients. The chances of them retaining it is far stronger if they’ve seen it in writing, in front of them. People prefer things explained in a straight forward manner rather than jargon. Anything we discussed we’d write down in front of clients and use hand written illustrations wherever applicable. It was amazing how years later a client would tell me that they remembered that ‘squiggly’ thing I’d drawn to explain how a pension worked, or a mortgage for example.

All the advisers at work use their computers for nearly everything. 29 years on I’m still using a paper and pen for as much as I can. It’s more work granted, but I still love writing and making notes. It’s an ongoing joke at work that they all find it amusing I continue in this way. Old fashioned maybe, but writing seems to be disappearing in the modern world and as long as I can, I’ll continue with my squiggles.

Th aka for your replies and suggestions everyone. My work provide a Microsoft Surface laptop with Office365 so I think I’ll give Onenote a try. A couple of colleagues at work also recommended this.

But like some of you suggested I think there’s still a place for a notepad and pen and I’ll keep one handy as well…at least while I try another method.

Remarkable is the best but the fact you need a monthly subscription puts me off albeit a very small cost

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I retired in 2010 but I was well organised by using a Filofax. I went on a 2 day time management course in the early 1990s and techniques on how to fully use the Filofax was the main thrust.
    Yep, me too! I got the watered down version because I wasn`t deemed senior enough for the full-fat course when it was introduced, but the Time Manager Filofax became a universal accessory at ICI where I worked. Most people didn`t use it exactly as prescribed but most of us got something out of the principles.

I always used notebooks and paper when thinking, planning and problem solving, the act of writing notes/diagrams with a pencil worked for me and it's something I still do.

Master
    Disagree, any electronic device is fallible and the info could be lost. I worked in laboratories and chemical plants, on most plants electronic devices were banned unless intrinsically safe owing to flammability zoning in place. Sketches and diagrams were often produced on the hoof, sometimes from places that were only accessible via scaffolds and ladders in wet weather, not the ideal place for an electronic device or the best place for typing or whatever.

Without being able to relate to the job I did and the working environment you really aren`t in a position to criticise; also, I retired at the age of 52 in 2010, for the majority of my career the electronic options didn`t exist.

Trust me, it worked!
    You missed all the part about being able to search your notes effectively. But I expected you to do so in suiting your agenda.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Can’t search it still, can you. So notes as reference were limited for future benefit.

There is a reason thrusting execs are no longer carrying them.

Master
    Can’t search it still, can you. So notes as reference were limited for future benefit.

Used properly you can do almost anything with a time manager but you will still need to access your pc if you wanted to say look up a clause in a long contract.

One reason for some people giving up the Filofax was that it looked dated in a meeting and a bit 1980s. I found, however, that people respected the fact I could use it to look up facts made a year or two with sufficient speed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Ipad Pro with Apple Pencil & GoodNotes. Can integrate/scan in other things, works like a treat. :)
    ^ this. I use this combination daily (iPad Pro 12.9"), and it is also powerful enough for all my work on-the-go instead of carrying a separate laptop. Goodnotes app is excellent and well worth paying for.

However, the one addition I made was to add the Paperlike screen cover. It adds friction to the glass surface, slowing the pencil tip down to better emulate a regular pen/pencil on paper. The advantage is that it also makes the screen anti-glare.

https://paperlike.com/

Master
    Without getting into the ‘discussion’ about note books & paper vs e notes, Amazon has just announced a kindle scribble?

A 10” e ink tablet with a pencil for note taking, it might well be more natural for a notebook user, than a laptop or traditional tablet & pen.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 28th September 2022 at 22:00. Reason: Punctuation & details

Master
    People have said the pencil, my current phone has a stylus and I take notes that way, sometimes on my tablet

Master
    I use vi.

Craftsman
    https://www.johnlewis.com/montblanc-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Montblanc augmented paper. Picked one up from sales corner. Jot a note down the old fashioned way and it can convert to work and store or send via email.

Great piece of kit and I'm sure there are other brands that do similar.

I use remarkeable , I don’t pay for the monthly sub, the free service is enough for my needs

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Remarkable is the best but the fact you need a monthly subscription puts me off albeit a very small cost
    I have used a remarkable 1 for years and wouldn’t go back. That one is still going strong with my nephew who uses it at uni. Because I used a version 1 when I upgraded there was no subscription and I am happily using this every day. It files away your written notes and drawings and backs up to my PC. Also turns writing into text. It is like writing on paper. Feels great….

Using without a subscription you can still write, file, backup and Wi-Fi backup to your pc.

For anyone wanting to try one. I have another version 1 that I kept as a backup. Mint. Hardly used with cover and pen / spare nibs. I will put it up on sales corner for £120 and see if there are any takers.

2 day course on 'time management' - hilarious!!!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I use pen (current squeeze being a Retro 51 titanium rollerball which is brilliant) plus either lined post-it (for small notes/lists - also handy for sticking alongside webcam on laptop for Teams/Zoom meeting agendas), or an A4 pad for meeting minutes/actions. I then use ScannerPro app on my phone to scan these into a named and/or dated PDF file depending on what I need it for. Then attach anything relevant to my @ACTION, @WAITINGFOR or @PROJECT folders in my email which I’ve setup in a GTD workflow. Good blend of old and new tech which I’ve refined over a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I have used a remarkable 1 for years and wouldn’t go back. That one is still going strong with my nephew who uses it at uni. Because I used a version 1 when I upgraded there was no subscription and I am happily using this every day. It files away your written notes and drawings and backs up to my PC. Also turns writing into text. It is like writing on paper. Feels great….

Using without a subscription you can still write, file, backup and Wi-Fi backup to your pc.

For anyone wanting to try one. I have another version 1 that I kept as a backup. Mint. Hardly used with cover and pen / spare nibs. I will put it up on sales corner for £120 and see if there are any takers.
    I’ll take that please - PM sent

Fountain pen and Clairefountaine A4 pads - it's the future!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    A number of people at my work use rocket book: https://getrocketbook.com/

Me, I scribble notes on paper and if it is important put it in OneNote.

At home I use SimpleNote for my todos, tracking idead and information I need regular access to.

I've always used a notepad and pen. Jot down anything and everything then add the important notes to the 1st page when I get chance.
    Been trying out Google keepnotes this week and it's actually quite good. Still got my notepad for important stuff but to make notes on the fly keepnote is more than adequate.
    I think the hardest part is changing your habit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I worked in laboratories and chemical plants, on most plants electronic devices were banned unless intrinsically safe owing to flammability zoning in place.
    I work in a similar environment - if someone never has, they can't understand

You can go back to the office and transpose your notes (or take pics and import them, as I do) but iPad, reMarkable etc for TAKING notes are pipedreams for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Notes are just temporary and have a short working use ... anything important ends up on an email or document/spreadsheet so the note book contents are only ever short term and I keep the books but I never look back ...

Been using Bullet pens for years ... write on anything and slip in to pockets.

Last edited by Montello; 29th September 2022 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Without getting into the ‘discussion’ about note books & paper vs e notes, Amazon has just announced a kindle scribble?

A 10” e ink tablet with a pencil for note taking, it might well be more natural for a notebook user, than a laptop or traditional tablet & pen.
    I've just been looking at the information for the Kindle Scribe (which isn't due to be released until the end of November). It doesn't appear to do OCR, which means that you wouldn't be able to search/filter/sort information. Its main strength looks as if it allows you to annotate existing ebooks.

I also used to have a paper time manager solution - we nicknamed them "teddy bears" at work, because people used to walk around clutching them all the time.

These days I use the S-Pen on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra - the notes sync with Samsung Notes on my PC. I also use OneNote sometimes (and should really integrate the two).

I use a notepad and pen.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Back in "the day," when I was still working and had an actual secretary, I would dictate notes, ideas, memos, etc. on a micro Olympus Pearlcorder. I'd give the micro-tape to my secretary, who would type up the recordings (this is like 40 years ago!) I know there are apps for any smartphone to translate speech to text these days.

ME:

MY ACTUAL SECRETARY:

Used to use Livescribe, until I mislaid the pen, it's kinda the opposite to reMarkable

https://eu.livescribe.com/collection...roducts/echo-2

Craftsman

How do you take notes at work? Alternatives to the old notepad?

However, the one addition I made was to add the Paperlike screen cover. It adds friction to the glass surface, slowing the pencil tip down to better emulate a regular pen/pencil on paper. The advantage is that it also makes the screen anti-glare.

https://paperlike.com/
    Another eg of TZ costing me money! Just ordered full pack from Paperlike.

I tried using Nebo on my iPad Pro for ocr of my scrawl to text. Couldn’t consistently read my awful handwriting. Not helped by the slippery screen. This thread has inspired me to have another go.

Any thoughts on best ocr app would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Fifer; 30th September 2022 at 21:40.

I was a notepad and pen user until a manager mentioned OneNote.

It works really well for me, especially when I started a new role where being able to record information (no matter how minor) under tabs/sections and developing those, really helped with learning.

I have a terrible memory and OneNote helps.

Craftsman
    iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and OneNote for me

Has been great and really helped me as it’s searchable unlike my notebook

I take in info better when writing rather than typing but it’s good you can combine them within OneNote

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    2 day course on 'time management' - hilarious!!!.
    That made me chuckle..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Don’t knock Time Manager, in one respect it was common sense repackaged but it certainly benefitted mist of the folks I worked with. A slightly different way of planning your work time but very effective, especially for those aren’t good at it. The filofax thing became a bit of a statement, but the principles were sound.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    Another eg of TZ costing me money! Just ordered full pack from Paperlike.

I tried using Nebo on my iPad Pro for ocr of my scrawl to text. Couldn’t consistently read my awful handwriting. Not helped by the slippery screen. This thread has inspired me to have another go.

Any thoughts on best ocr app would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If using an iPad, you can get a screen protector that makes writing feel like it is on paper instead of being slippery.

Blog Entries
    I use a pen, paper, phone, and computer.

Specifically:

(1) I keep written meeting or client site notes on paper, either reporter's notepad or preferably A4 tear off pad.

(2) I scan the paper notes into my computer at the end of the day and store the files in folders relating to client/project.

(3) The original paper notes are filed in ring binders and can, in due course, be archived or shredded depending on need.

(4) At the moment I don't bother to try and OCR my handwritten notes. No software can cope. This is something for the future, perhaps.

(5) If I need to be able to search note content, I manually transcribe key points into a Word, Markdown, or plain text file. This doesn't usually take long as, often, only keywords are needed. The keywords lead me back to the scanned file.

(6) I don't use any note management software as none that I have tried suits my precise requirements (e.g. open source, open file formats, extreme flexibility). (I have mooted writing my own which I'd probably open source. Got to find the time).

(7) Index and search for transcribed notes or other files is handled using Windows Search. This is much maligned but extraordinarily powerful. (It could do with a better UI to facilitate use, especially when it comes to searching metadata. Got to find the time to write it).

I have tested handwriting recognition software and other more automated ways of doing all this but so far none of them work well for me in practice. No software I have met can recognise my handwriting and on-screen writing is still for too low resolution to be effective. Also screen-based systems are held back by fundamental form factor limitations -- e.g. you can't tear off pages, lay them out on a desk, compare them side by side, etc. and they are often more delicate than an A4 pad!

In time, form factor and other limitations will be overcome by easily available and affordable technology but we're not there yet (at least not for me).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th October 2022 at 04:03.