closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When are you turning your heating on?

When are you turning your heating on?

Boring thread, apologies, but when are you putting your heating on?

I've said not to turn the heating on until 1st Nov. My wife thinks this mental and said if we had kids it would be classed as neglect.

Master
    I also thought 1st October but it's currently on, as at home with a mild dose of covid. Best laid plans etc...

Grand Master
    Wifey has decreed that it can`t go on till Oct 1st, but I`ve had it on for a couple of short blasts whilst she's been out

As I`ve got older I`ve started to feel the cold more, she's only 1 year younger but she doesn`t seem to be affected. Looks like I`ll be wearing more layers of clothing this winter.

I`m willing to bet the OPs wife will get her own way on this one.......or a compromise heavily biased in her favour will be reached. Cold unhappy wife isn`t worth the hassle, doesn`t bear thinking about!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Boring thread, apologies, but when are you putting your heating on?

I've said not to turn the heating on until 1st Nov. My wife thinks this mental and said if we had kids it would be classed as neglect.
    LOL! Sam’s currently minding the house and has been complaining for days that it’s freezing. I just told him to man up and put a jumper on.

We’re also planning to wait until November this year, and we’re setting a max temp of 20 degrees; I’m also planning on turning it off during the day when it’s just me at home!

It has come on very briefly a couple of times recently. Tado works it out for me and adjusts according to the weather, so it has mostly been a short burst in the early morning and then nothing for the rest of the day.

Hot Water on by manual boost every day or two.

Heating on for an hour in evening if absolutly required, and not-in-use rooms set at 'frost'.

Determined to economise.

Master
    Mine hasn't been off...partner kicks off if it's not 23...i am sat in shorts and t shirt and still too warm.

Luckily it's a new build and the bill is more for electric than gas.

Master
    When it’s cold and below 20 o in house.

If you don’t heat the house for a long(er) period while its cold and wet, you ask for problems. Funges is the least of them.

In my opinion its nonsense not to turn on the heating.

November o'clock if its cold, otherwise what's wrong with a jumper

Master
    About ten days ago.

When it gets cold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had it on for about an hour last night,and again for a short burst this morning.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    November o'clock if its cold, otherwise what's wrong with a jumper
    Can`t work on watches whilst wearing a woolly jumper.....trust me it doesn`t work! Tiny fibres from the sleeves find their way onto the bench and into places where you really don`t want them. Short sleeves are a must for me whilst working in the watch room, but as a mild Reynauds sufferer my hands have to stay warm or I end up with numb fingers, only answer is to keep the watch room warm enough. Wifey moans but that's easily remedied by turning the music up louder..........then she claims I`m going deaf.

I would cheerfully move to a warm climate for winter, the older I get the more I dislike the cold and find it harder to tolerate. Can`t work in the garage on cold days any longer, didn`t bother me 30+ years ago but it does now.

Buses will soon be full of old folks with bus passes riding around aimlessly as an alternative to heating their homes.......2 years for me to wait!

Craftsman
    It’s getting very cold in the mornings already and it just doesn’t feel right putting it on just yet although I’m very tempted at times! Similar to wearing a thicker coat as well!

My better half is one of those ‘put an extra jumper on’ people and this is the first winter we’ve lived together in the same house so I think we might be having some ‘discussions’ about the heating in the coming months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    When it’s cold and below 20 o in house.

If you don’t heat the house for a long(er) period while its cold and wet, you ask for problems. Funges is the least of them.

In my opinion its nonsense not to turn on the heating.
    That is more usual with lack of ventilation. It manifests itself readily in lower-standard rented property where the occupants see open windows and ventilation as a heat-loss of their stretched finance.

Heating not on here, yet - if necessary, it will be base layers, neck scarf and woolly hat for me

On a nest thermastst. It’s set to come on if it’s below 15 at 6am and then go off for 9, it’s come on briefly twice this week.

Heating

When I light the Woodburner stove.

Andy

Never (well, not unless it snows and my thermostat goes to 10c) - but that's my weekday stone-built pad. My wife is trying to hold out until November (normally October) this year in our main residence.

If you can manage until November, that's a good run. I know some who have their heating on year-round.

November is fairly hardcore, no way Lady Sod would leave it that long, being nesh as **** despite coming from The Frozen North!

I feel slightly sorry for her, as on the one hand she exists in a hilariously narrow band of temperature tolerances (~22-26C), and she really doesn't like getting her arse off the sofa for any reason short of her job or imminent death, on the other hand, she's from Yorkshire, and the cost of heating this crumbling ruin is painful by any standards, and frankly alarming this winter...

Be second week in October here, at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t work on watches whilst wearing a woolly jumper.....trust me it doesn`t work! Tiny fibres from the sleeves find their way onto the bench and into places where you really don`t want them. ...
    Get yourself a snoodie / hoodie blanket. No wool fibres, and it keeps me toasty down to 10c. I laughed at them for years but joined the gang last winter.

Had the fire in the living room on a couple of evenings this week, but no plans to use the CH.

Never been a believer in setting a regular program, in winter if it’s cold pop it on for 20 mins then turn it off. Use sparingly as required.

Master
    Ours had been on for a week. It’s actually never off but instead controlled by thermostat temps. I like to keep the house at 20 degrees. It kicked in for the first time a few days ago.

I've held off although last night felt a bit chilly for the first time and it is definitely cooler in the morning when getting ready. Thing is, it still warms up in the daytime enough to make it comfortable without any heating. When I checked first thing it was 17C inside and 9C outside....need to be made of stronger stuff and not buckle now if I don't want to be spending mortgage-like monthly payments on heating this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t work on watches whilst wearing a woolly jumper.....trust me it doesn`t work! Tiny fibres from the sleeves find their way onto the bench and into places where you really don`t want them. Short sleeves are a must for me whilst working in the watch room, but as a mild Reynauds sufferer my hands have to stay warm or I end up with numb fingers, only answer is to keep the watch room warm enough. Wifey moans but that's easily remedied by turning the music up louder..........then she claims I`m going deaf.

I would cheerfully move to a warm climate for winter, the older I get the more I dislike the cold and find it harder to tolerate. Can`t work in the garage on cold days any longer, didn`t bother me 30+ years ago but it does now.

Buses will soon be full of old folks with bus passes riding around aimlessly as an alternative to heating their homes.......2 years for me to wait!
    We wear lint free ESD lab coats at work.

Master
    Wife and i adamant that we’ll hold out from putting the CH on as long as possible, pit the fire on for downstairs when absolutely necessary.
    She’s actually holding out for the end of November when we clear off for 3 weeks but i think that’s a touch on the optimistic side!

Me too. Short blasts while everyone's getting up and and early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    About ten days ago.

It's quite easy to forget the regional differences in temperature across the UK. Whilst it has definitely not felt cold enough to be uncomfortable yet in the very south of the country, if you are in the North it probably has.

I remember when I used to live in York and drive regularly from Bournemouth to York. Used to get in the car at Bournemouth and the air temp quite often was noticeably colder when I got out of the car at the other end.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have our’s set to 19 degrees normally but might change it to 18. I’ve had to google my thermostat to find out how to turn it off completely. Might see if I can get to Nov 1 before I reactivate it. To be honest I’d rather be too cold than too hot.
    I received a £935 refund on my bill this week because I was that sum in credit.

We're going to see if we can get through to 2023 before turning it on. We look like proper Darby and Joan club members snuggled under a thick blanket watching TV, but it's amazing how warm it can make you!

Master
    Slightly OT but I am amazed at the temperature some people keep their houses at. I let a property to a mate last year, and often popped over to watch footy and a few beers. The heat in the place was astonishing, almost at the point of being unbearable to me.
    I often wonder if I have some polar bear genes in my makeup.
    And to answer the original question, not yet. And not until I really have to. I bought "oodies" for the kids, nice and snug in those

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Wife informed me from the drive this morning that the car said 2C. I was still warm under the duvet.

I am glad it is me that works from home and not her as we would be broke! She really feels the cold and luckily I do not. Have some thermal layers ready, but it’s my hands that feel it the worst.

November is my target for heating. There may however be the odd log burnt during the day & forsaking a large monitor in my office for the comfort of a fire and MacBook screen.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I received a £935 refund on my bill this week because I was that sum in credit.
    Unless you want to pay-as-you-go on a monthly basis, isn't now exactly the time of year you'd expect to have built up a huge credit?

Mine is over £1k in credit. I know some people are of the opinion better in your bank account than the energy company, but the couple of quid interest is negligable, and I'd rather have that money out of sight, out of mind...makes me less likely to get stressed about each extra heat boost I use...in my mind it's already money spent!
    Last edited by Christian; 28th September 2022 at 14:14.

Master
    I must be getting more northern by the day….just got me big coat out ready for Autumn.

With a bit of luck the heating will only get put on in December (when we get back from Southern California )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I must be getting more northern by the day….just got me big coat out ready for Autumn.

With a bit of luck the heating will only get put on in December (when we get back from Southern California )

Haha lucky bugger, they climate must be rather pleasant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Unless you want to pay-as-you-go on a monthly basis, isn't now exactly the time of year you'd expect to have built up a huge credit?

Mine is over £1k in credit. I know some people are of the opinion better in your bank account than the energy company, but the couple of quid interest is negligable, and I'd rather have that money out of sight, out of mind...makes me less likely to get stressed about each extra heat boost I use...in my mind it's already money spent!
    Based on EDF’s own estimate of my energy useage from now until end of April my DD was changed from £300 to £337 pcm in order to cover it. At that rate I’d have still been £935 in credit at the end of April.

I could have had my DD reduced from £300 to £203 & kept my acct in credit but took the refund instead. Partly because I was initially told that it was company policy only to issue a refund at my annual review…whenever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Based on EDF’s own estimate of my energy useage from now until end of April my DD was changed from £300 to £337 pcm in order to cover it. At that rate I’d have still been £935 in credit at the end of April.

I could have had my DD reduced from £300 to £203 & kept my acct in credit but took the refund instead. Partly because I was initially told that it was company policy only to issue a refund at my annual review…whenever that is.
    Ah, makes sense.

Master
    I don’t understand these threads. Our heating is never “off”. Temp is set at 19C all year round

Master
    When there’s ice on the inside of the window panes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When needed ... today is the first day I have put the rad on in the office ... not yet done so in the house; wont be long I fear ...

Hoping to hold out to November. I was a bit chilly last night but then remembered I was still wearing shorts. Popped the lounge pants on and was comfy again.

Our boiler is very much either on or off with no auto temp control, only a digital timer. We'll probably start giving it an hour or two in the mornings while everyone gets up, then leave it off until the evening.

We've bought thermal long johns, t-shirts and fleeces so we'll keep wrapped up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That is more usual with lack of ventilation. It manifests itself readily in lower-standard rented property where the occupants see open windows and ventilation as a heat-loss of their stretched finance.
    Indeed ventilation is key. It can happen in all houses that aren’t insulated to high heaven and have cold spots around the windows and walls. Not really isolated to financially stretched people who rent. Victorian houses, 50s houses and old cottages are renowned for it especially if rich people live in them and refuse to turn the heating on because they are tight as hell:)

Craftsman
    Only turning on when ice starts appearing in living room

August, to make sure it's working OK, and when the 'heating engineers' aren't too busy if anything needs sorting.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's quite easy to forget the regional differences in temperature across the UK. Whilst it has definitely not felt cold enough to be uncomfortable yet in the very south of the country, if you are in the North it probably has.

I remember when I used to live in York and drive regularly from Bournemouth to York. Used to get in the car at Bournemouth and the air temp quite often was noticeably colder when I got out of the car at the other end.
    It varies within the region quite markedly! When I worked in Huddersfield it was almost always colder than Normanton which is a mere 20 miles to the East but away from the Pennines. Even now, when I go back to Huddersfield for reunions the cold hits me when I come out of the station.

Gloves and woolly hat will be coming out soon!

On this morning for an hour. First time I’ve ever resorted to switching it on before November, but despite the obvious increase in costs compared with last year, decided I’m not going to be in the house cold and miserable for the sake of saving a few quid. Now I’m just miserable. But warm!

First turned on just this morning for a bit to get some heat in the house for the day.

Although it's early and costs are high, the wife works from home and needs to be comfortable so we consider it like any other subscription... Would we pay £50 per month extra starting now to be comfortable at work all day?? The answer is definitely yes!

Not this day. This day, I’m walking around in shorts, polo shirt, gilet. This day I’m cocking a snook at the plummeting temperatures and laughing in the face of temperature-based diversity. This day I’m wondering why I didn’t put the heating on so I could actually feel my feet as I got into the shower and didn’t have to endure an icy blast amongst my nether regions after said shower.

Craftsman
    I'm not. Went swimming in Puglia last week....in the sea. Got to be some advantages to living in Italy.

Blog Entries
    It's set to come on by temperature not date. If it gets cold enough it comes on. Simples.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.