closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: When are you turning your heating on?

Relented today, mainly out of concerns for mould really. Old Victorian house so always going to be a worry this time of year.
    I did have the double glazing and front door replaced this year which has made quite an impact however.

What do people estimate their cost per hour of boiler use? I reckon mine works out at £2 an hour and was wondering how this compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What do people estimate their cost per hour of boiler use? I reckon mine works out at £2 an hour and was wondering how this compares.
    Mine would be £4.97 ph- 14.4kw x 0.34.5p per kw

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Relented today, mainly out of concerns for mould really. Old Victorian house so always going to be a worry this time of year.
    Same for me, although mine is about 200 years old. I have triple glazing but once the walls are cold it’s impossible to get the living room up to 20° unless heating is on continuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Same for me, although mine is about 200 years old. I have triple glazing but once the walls are cold it’s impossible to get the living room up to 20° unless heating is on continuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our place in Higham was similar, 3’ sandstone walls. Lovely and cool in summer, but we probably ran the heating Sept to May as all the rear of the house was underground.
    Last edited by higham5; 5th November 2022 at 19:46.

Ours is a 29k/w boiler so 29 x 0.0748 = £2.16 per hour.
    That seems to tally with what i saw on the smart meter as up until today when we hadn`t used the heating and we were seeing ~£5/day in energy costs. Today (with the heating on primarily to dry clothes and reduce condensation) we had reached and exceeded that figure by 9a.m and as of 16:00 hours it`s over £12. The heating hasn`t been on much after this morning when it reached temp though - `stat set to 18 degrees and it`s stayed level`ish all afternoon but expecting that to cut in again later on when it cools down outside. The washing machine has been on a few times, though.
    Damn smart meter. When i first got it i just chucked it into the back of a cupboard and never bothered with it because i didn`t need to know how much energy we were using, it`s getting more attention than the TV now!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just looked and our gas pkw with shell is 10.236. We have a 35kw viessmann combi so ours is about £3.50 to run an hour. I also had double convector rads Put in all rooms. But these boilers rarely run at max for much time do they?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Just looked and our gas pkw with shell is 10.236. We have a 35kw viessmann combi so ours is about £3.50 to run an hour. I also had double convector rads Put in all rooms. But these boilers rarely run at max for much time do they?
    True. I suspect my £2 estimate is pretty accurate then for a similar boiler that isn't burning constantly. Thanks.

On full chat ours is rated at 32.5kW, so going to be around the £2.50/hr mark - that said, it's £0.00 right now and normally I never have it on full output, so hopefully less when normal service is resumed...

The above running cost estimates are true for a boiler running at `full throttle` (the first hour or so of turning the heating on?) but they are not doing that most of the time, after the initial warm-up phase the boiler will modulate between high and low heat and then of course swith off altogether when the room stat reaches temp.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Ours is a 29k/w boiler so 29 x 0.0748 = £2.16 per hour.
    Don`t know where i got .0748 from, just checked and it`s 10.6 so that makes my boiler on full £3.10.....
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 6th November 2022 at 12:00.

We still have not turned the central heating on, and with the current weather forecast it probably won’t come on until towards he end of November. This is the latest I can ever remember living in the south east.

We have had the gas fire on in the living room the last week or so to keep that warm. But, it has been on the lowest setting.

The thermometer in the hall says it is 17 degC without any heating since last April which is about as cold as we can manage, but totally manageable with a jumper.

The cost of gas maybe through the roof, but it doesn’t cost you anything if you are not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    We still have not turned the central heating on, and with the current weather forecast it probably won’t come on until towards he end of November. This is the latest I can ever remember living in the south east.

We have had the gas fire on in the living room the last week or so to keep that warm. But, it has been on the lowest setting.

The thermometer in the hall says it is 17 degC without any heating since last April which is about as cold as we can manage, but totally manageable with a jumper.

The cost of gas maybe through the roof, but it doesn’t cost you anything if you are not using it.

You can see how telling people where you are (roughly) - might make that a bit more .................. well - relevant?

Master
    Heating in for an hour this evening in Berkshire. Cooler day, and felt the house structure was losing some heat based on discussions with a heating engineer.

Have been using the log burner a few evenings, 3-4 logs sets it off warm and nicely for a good few hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have the towel rail heater on but no room heating. Still very warm here in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Cooler day, and felt the house structure was losing some heat based on discussions with a heating engineer.
    Haha. I am not going to go there.

How would we know, just guesswork?

Engineer came on Thursday, since when we've had the hot water back, but the boiler can do no more than warm the rads, there's no real heat from them, so back again Monday...

Feeling grateful for the freakishly warm weather we've had this autumn!

I haven’t cracked yet, but the Mrs is getting pretty cheesed off with me…

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does anyone have any experience of open therm boilers? From my basic understanding most condensing boilers are A rated and 95% efficiency or better. However that means 1energy heat is getting 950 watts heat out.

However open therm boilers can modulate down to 10% so you're burning less gas and they're better at maintaining a constant temp, without over shooting the desired temp. So they still as efficient in terms of energy in and heat out. But overall use less gas as they're better at maintaining a consistent temp.

I havent changed my boiler but wanted to plan when it does need changing, its 14 years old.

any experiences with open therm? its it as good as I've read ? my room themorstats support it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of open therm boilers? From my basic understanding most condensing boilers are A rated and 95% efficiency or better. However that means 1energy heat is getting 950 watts heat out.

However open therm boilers can modulate down to 10% so you're burning less gas and they're better at maintaining a constant temp, without over shooting the desired temp. So they still as efficient in terms of energy in and heat out. But overall use less gas as they're better at maintaining a consistent temp.

I havent changed my boiler but wanted to plan when it does need changing, its 14 years old.

any experiences with open therm? its it as good as I've read ? my room themorstats support it.
    The Baxi 830 I've just fitted works with open therm.
    The idea is that the the open therm controller works with the boiler to modulate it.

That's of course if they don't die at the bus stop waiting for said bus. Like the trains they are so unreliable you may as well just go to Costa and sit there all day

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t work on watches whilst wearing a woolly jumper.....trust me it doesn`t work! Tiny fibres from the sleeves find their way onto the bench and into places where you really don`t want them. Short sleeves are a must for me whilst working in the watch room, but as a mild Reynauds sufferer my hands have to stay warm or I end up with numb fingers, only answer is to keep the watch room warm enough. Wifey moans but that's easily remedied by turning the music up louder..........then she claims I`m going deaf.

I would cheerfully move to a warm climate for winter, the older I get the more I dislike the cold and find it harder to tolerate. Can`t work in the garage on cold days any longer, didn`t bother me 30+ years ago but it does now.

Buses will soon be full of old folks with bus passes riding around aimlessly as an alternative to heating their homes.......2 years for me to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    The Baxi 830 I've just fitted works with open therm.
    The idea is that the the open therm controller works with the boiler to modulate it.
    Have you noticed any savings in gas usage yet?

We put ours on for two hours on Tuesday evening, first time this year the house has cooled down, we have benn using the wood burner quiet a bit though

When are you turning your heating on?

15 degC on the thermometer in the house at the moment, and I’m struggling not to switch the heating back on.

I think I’ll go for a hot water bottle on my lap while I’m working at the kitchen table.

The central heating has been off for pretty much a month now, but today is the coldest it has been since then, and I am in the SE which tends to be a little warmer at this time of year.

15 degC on the thermometer in the house at the moment, and I’m struggling not to switch the heating back on.

I think I’ll go for a hot water bottle on my lap while I’m working at the kitchen table.

The central heating has been off for pretty much a month now, but today is the coldest it has been since then, and I am in the SE which tends to be a little warmer at this time of year.

I have been using an electric-throw working in my office over winter - very economical.

Since getting a hive controller I have been recording the total firing time of the boiler on CH and controlling the HW manually - think I am down to 1.22hrs per day average since beginning of the year. (Just heating kitchen/snug to comfort level and low throughout rest of house.

No such luck on having it off here but to be fair my in-laws have their heating twinned with the equator and don't like to come here as it's cold. Temp currently at 18.5 and set to 21.5 as they're coming for dinner. We used 109 hours in Feb, 108 in March.

The next time the Delonghi oil filled radiators are in Costco I'm grabbing two for WFH.

Master

Mine dipped to 14oC as one of the kids let the dogs out earlier and left the back door wide open.

Not had any hearing on the past week and it's been cold in South Wales. Just put it on for 45 minutes as it's bloody miserable being frozen to the core!

Reduced our gas and electric usage by 83% year on year. £2k in credit and just had the majority sent back to our account and they've reduced the monthly DD FROM £220 TO £150 for gas and electric.

I'm from the Nort West originally and grew up without central heating...... Bought all the kids Oooodies for Christmas to keep warm, haha, they hate me and I love it!!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I have been using an electric-throw working in my office over winter - very economical.

Since getting a hive controller I have been recording the total firing time of the boiler on CH and controlling the HW manually - think I am down to 1.22hrs per day average since beginning of the year. (Just heating kitchen/snug to comfort level and low throughout rest of house.
    How in the name of the Almighty do you keep your house warm by keeping the heating on for just 1.22hrs per day. If I remember correctly we had weather below freezing in January. That 1.22 hrs equates to 3 minutes per hour over the course of a day. Have I mis interpreted what you have said?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    How in the name of the Almighty do you keep your house warm by keeping the heating on for just 1.22hrs per day. If I remember correctly we had weather below freezing in January. That 1.22 hrs equates to 3 minutes per hour over the course of a day. Have I mis interpreted what you have said?
    It's an average.

Blog Entries
    We have a central heating on natural gas like 99% of the houses here. But the system is partly from 70s: some radiators are. We're replacing those for 21st century radiators. That technology has gone forward in 50 yrs. Same size generates a lot more heat for the rooms.

Furthermore: we're replacing the wood burner in my wife's office for a soapstone stove. It takes less wood to heat the office. The current burner/stove will be installed in the annex that's on our property. I've to cut down a handful of trees this summer; the summer drought has taken its toll on some birches. So plenty of wood for years to come. With the current 'burning rate' of wood: enough logs for the next 12 -14 yrs, those newly cut-down trees not included.

I remember that my parents had a coal stove in the living room and it was put out on Easter Sunday. Every year. No more heating from that moment on.
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th April 2023 at 22:49.

Not had the heating on this month, big jumpers though
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th April 2023 at 07:08.

Heating on in the home office for an hour today after 3 hours freezing and couldn’t type anymore.

Heating on this evening from 8 but just the two rads downstairs.

The past week has been shite and it’s nearly May.

Master
    My heating comes on at 6.45am and goes off at 11.00pm with the thermometer set at 20 degrees. The house is always warm and the boiler clicks off more than it is on. By keeping it on the fabric of the house stays warm and it seems the sensible way to use central heating.

I am only at home half the week, and it is boiler ‘firing time’. The heating may be on at varying temps during the day (say for 8hrs), but the boiler is only firing for (say) 3:10 hrs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No such luck on having it off here but to be fair my in-laws have their heating twinned with the equator and don't like to come here as it's cold. Temp currently at 18.5 and set to 21.5 as they're coming for dinner. We used 109 hours in Feb, 108 in March.

The next time the Delonghi oil filled radiators are in Costco I'm grabbing two for WFH.
    Where do you find the data that tells you how many hours the heating is on?

We have Hive and I can't see it on the app. I dread to think how many hours it is on, but good data to have I guess!

Turning the CH off hasn't even been considered yet in our house, but our fixed rate comes to an end this month so I'm going to be like a man possessed with energy saving. Wife's birthday treat this year is going to be one of those electric heated throws, though I'm not yet sure how she'll react

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Turning the CH off hasn't even been considered yet in our house, but our fixed rate comes to an end this month so I'm going to be like a man possessed with energy saving. Wife's birthday treat this year is going to be one of those electric heated throws, though I'm not yet sure how she'll react
    The prices are coming down and at the moment the smart money says keep it variable until autumn and fix thereafter. No doubt the good Martin Lewis will let everyone know.

Master
    I feel too hot if the house is at 20oC now, the max ours is ever set to is 19 and a 30 minute burst in either the morning or evening is enough to get the house warmed up.

We live in a modern very well insulated house, 12 years old, double skinned (natural stone outside, air gap + insulation and then air / breeze blocks that have an insulated backing and then "dot and dab" plasterboard).

I think our boiler spends more time heating water..... If we were staying I think I'd be looking at one of the solar panels to heat the water in the tank.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

No comment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    No comment.
    My last electricity bill in Spain (July / August) was €360. My son said it was hot and used the aircon.

The only reason why Spanish electricity is cheap is that the electric company (Endesa) has no control over prices. The prices are determined by local Mayors and Community Presidents who increase their chances of re election by forcing prices down on behalf of a grateful electorate.

In Vera (local Spanish Town) the water company was so broke, it could not pay its electricity bill. Therefore it was cut off four years ago and is now powered by emergency generators. It's almost Monty Python.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Heating on in the home office for an hour today after 3 hours freezing and couldn’t type anymore.

Heating on this evening from 8 but just the two rads downstairs.

The past week has been shite and it’s nearly May.
    I end up with the same, I’m fine without the heating being on & then gradually my hands stop working on the keyboard properly!

Master
    The prices are coming down and at the moment the smart money says keep it variable until autumn and fix thereafter. No doubt the good Martin Lewis will let everyone know.
    Glad I ignored his advice not to fix in 2021, my fixed deal finishes in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Where do you find the data that tells you how many hours the heating is on?

We have Hive and I can't see it on the app. I dread to think how many hours it is on, but good data to have I guess!
    I get a monthly email for our house, the in-laws and my mum but it doesnt include underfloor heating as that's electric. Fun to compare the hours we all use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Glad I ignored his advice not to fix in 2021, my fixed deal finishes in October.
    I spent the last six years of my career in buying electricity for large firms and it is a totally rumour riddled industry. You could fry your brains out if you investigated every whisper or rumour that was circulating.

I have now totally lost interest in it but Martin does seem to be in the know. To be fair, no one thought Putin would do what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    A lot of folk people fixed in 2021 including me. Unfortunately most of the utility companies (outside of the big few) went bust rendering the fix worthless.

Martin does seem to be in the know.
    He has absolutely no idea which way the energy markets and pricing will go. He helps you plan for today and 'what if' future events.

Master
    He has absolutely no idea which way the energy markets and pricing will go. He helps you plan for today and 'what if' future events.
    Yes obviously so, it's pure judgement on the day and nothing else.

Master
    A lot of folk people fixed in 2021 including me. Unfortunately most of the utility companies (outside of the big few) went bust rendering the fix worthless.
    To be fair, you had to be a bit of a chancer if you went outside of the big six.

My last electricity bill in Spain (July / August) was €360. My son said it was hot and used the aircon.

The only reason why Spanish electricity is cheap is that the electric company (Endesa) has no control over prices. The prices are determined by local Mayors and Community Presidents who increase their chances of re election by forcing prices down on behalf of a grateful electorate.

In Vera (local Spanish Town) the water company was so broke, it could not pay its electricity bill. Therefore it was cut off four years ago and is now powered by emergency generators. It's almost Monty Python.
    Blimey Mick my one this month is below 80 euros, y on y they've not moved hardly at all, our Summer bill is nowhere near 360 a month, iirc around 120/140 last year...that´s including some AC, pool filter and robot cleaner...We must just be lucky or could a neighbour also be using/ on your supply or are you on builders supply tarriff?

Actually I´ve over estimated last years bills, just checked emails, August´s was 101 euro, Septembers was 91 euro.
    Seems you´ve been rumped Mick or sonny boy ran the AC continuously 24-7, mebbe with the windows open.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th April 2023 at 12:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Blimey Mick my one this month is below 80 euros, y on y they've not moved hardly at all, our Summer bill is nowhere near 360 a month, iirc around 120/140 last year...that´s including some AC, pool filter and robot cleaner...We must just be lucky or could a neighbour also be using/ on your supply or are you on builders supply tarriff?
    Just to be clear, I am billed for energy and water six times a year. The €360 was for two months. We have a 8mx4m pool which has to purify heavily because our kids walk around plastered in sun cream. Two expensive little luxuries.