closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When are you turning your heating on?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Now that is one beautiful whippet. Gorgeous
    Thank you. Eli will be nine in a couple of months time. He spent the first 18 months of his life living in an outhouse in rural Lincolnshire. It took him a while to become accustomed to city living. Earlofsodbury’s two Salukis are especially beautiful too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    My gas CH is controlled by a NEST stat and fired up about a week ago for the first time since early May. This Winter I have lowered my overall heating temperatures by half a degree and turned the combi water temp down by about 20c and the water heating down by the same amount, radiators in spare bedrooms have the thermostats turned down to 1. I have no idea if I will save anything on my gas consumption and I don’t have a smart meter so difficult to tell with all the price rises.

Loads of people have told me not to install a smart meter and I must admit to being on the fence about it, any thoughts?
    I’ve resisted smart meters - if it ain’t broke…
    They’re fine if you can’t figure out that you can save money by switching things off but they will lead to dynamic pricing in due course + they have their own issues.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's set to come on by temperature not date. If it gets cold enough it comes on. Simples.
    Exactly this. You program the thermostat for set temperatures during the week and you adjust clothing if required.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

In previous years usually it is on for an hour or so at night time, by early to mid November.

Master
    I've got excellent loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, double glazing everywhere yet our early 50s detached bungalow gets really cold. It's currently 15 inside and probably warmer outside...!!! :0(

Plus retired and unable to work so no extra money coming in. Still a lot better of than a single pensioner on just the old state pension though. They are the ones I really worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I don't know why, but it is...yes fully insulated from underneath. We are used to the slow response and try to plan for it usually.

Maybe when we do put it on I need to monitor how much the meter moves...you are absoutely correct in that when it is on the upstairs is heated from downstairs and we tend to be able to switch off upstairs heating at times. Thanks for your post, I will keep an eye on it when we next use it.
    We have a 3 story house with the same ‘wet’ underfloor heating on the ground floor. I’ve set all the thermostats to 20 degrees and it’s now on 24/7 to maintain that temperature. I’ve always been told it functions most efficiently that way as it takes more energy to let it cool down then heat up again, and in that way you never have to plan a couple of hours ahead to heat the house. However I haven’t switched on the radiators yet on the top 2 floors and I don’t intend to until it gets a lot colder. I’ve also shut all the internal doors upstairs on the rooms we don’t regularly use. Also cut down the hot water heating time considerably until we started running out of hot water then added a few minutes. We have a fixed tariff until the end of the year so I’m using this time to finesse the system, but I’ve never found the wet underfloor system to be expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Is that last onee a Saluki?

They both are - sort-of: the white-and-tan girl is a lurcher from Ireland who is half Saluki / half greyhound; the black-and-tan lad is a true Saluki from Iran - so he looks different from the ultra-gracile show Salukis you see normally. He's a VERY strong dog and very fast - at 12 he still outruns the 4 year old girl, and running on a beach easily outran our friends' two ex-race greyhounds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Exactly this. You program the thermostat for set temperatures during the week and you adjust clothing if required.
    Not rocket science is it? Can't believe people make such a song and dance about it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Sitting in the garden with just T-shirt on at the moment. Temperature is 18 degC, but the wind has dropped and it is humid, making it feel warmer.

I am sitting at the garden table with the fairy lights on just about to pour a nice chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and we have friends over so plan to eat outside tonight in maybe a light jumper.

What where you saying about turning the central heating on?

Sounds delightful, like a spring evening. In Edinburgh it’s been very mild too, the change when it comes will be a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Sounds delightful, like a spring evening. In Edinburgh it’s been very mild too, the change when it comes will be a shock.
    Probably a bit colder down in the Borders - I'm putting the heating on for around 2hrs in the evenings only. It's the electricity consumption that is the principle part of my cost. Must have a look into that...................

I was in Moffat for a couple nights in September and it was noticeably colder than being in more built up areas.

Master
    I've had my heating on for about two hours over the last couple of weeks. It's back up to 20°C here, and the house holds its heat very well (it's a new build about five years ago), so I'll leave it off as long as possible.

Master
    I'm on a 3 yr fixed contract from last Sept so I'm basically melting the polar ice caps for the next 2 years whilst it's remotely affordable.

I've been in the teeth of a dilemma lately - outside during the daytime is substantially warmer than inside the (unheated) house.

However, if I open the place up, dozens of mosquitoes immediately head indoors and take-up position, waiting to puncture me and the Mrs once we settle down. Curse of living in a low-lying, swampy part of the world.

I'm rather looking forward to some good hard frosts - cull the whiny little bastards a bit...

Heating's still off, but that may go-on for longer than planned since the boiler is acting-up!

All of our rooms still hovering around 18 degrees according to our tado thermostats.

I've managed to get this far without the heating on. My initial aim of October has now turned to November. My "office" bedroom faces north and it gets bloody freezing in there even with the heating on!

I’m doing relatively well, only had the heating on once so far and that was for about 30 mins just to take the chill off. This current warm spell certainly helps, didn’t have any heating on last night until around 9pm then put the living room gas fire on for an hour and a half or so.

CH pre set to 20°c flow control reduced.
    Hardly kicked in yet. Very warm South facing flat, so well pleased.

Blog Entries
    25C today. In fact this whole month was extremely warm. Every now and then, the heating kicks in around 6 in the morning. I turn it off about an hour later. And my wife starts the log burner in her office in the evening.
    Next week, local temps will fall to normal November level.

Already using heating, I like the house at 22 so I can wear a t shirt. It costs what it costs but my comfort is my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Already using heating, I like the house at 22 so I can wear a t shirt. It costs what it costs but my comfort is my priority.
    Can I come and stay with you?

Master
    Had my boiler serviced today. The engineer’s advice - if your not warm enough put another jumper on. Its cheaper…
    Sounds reasonable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sitting in the garden with just T-shirt on at the moment. Temperature is 18 degC, but the wind has dropped and it is humid, making it feel warmer.

I am sitting at the garden table with the fairy lights on just about to pour a nice chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and we have friends over so plan to eat outside tonight in maybe a light jumper.

What where you saying about turning the central heating on?
    Had last week off & was in a T-shirt most days out and about.

We tested the heating last Friday & the circulating pump seized up. All replaced now, but weird it worked for hot water and then broken when call for heat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I must be getting more northern by the day….just got me big coat out ready for Autumn.

With a bit of luck the heating will only get put on in December (when we get back from Southern California )

Got back from three weeks away in the motorhome yesterday. House was bloody freezing so had to get the log burner going. Heating still not been turned on though.

Got a good stash of logs so still on track for leaving the heating off. Now looking forward to the trip to California

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Had my boiler serviced today. The engineer’s advice - if your not warm enough put another jumper on. Its cheaper…
    Sounds reasonable.
    So engineers not only service boilers, but are qualified in such other practical wisdom.

I needn’t have bothered with my 4 year engineering degree.

So engineers not only service boilers, but are qualified in such other practical wisdom.

Not again, you don't own the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not again, you don't own the word.
    Haha - just waiting for this, lol.

Master
    No chance it’s still 21° here today - shorts and tshirt still(outside)

Master

I use a boiler doctor - not as clever as a boiler engineer but charges more…

I have had the occasional fire in the log burner, but still not had the heating on this year. Today I had the October gas bill come in and it was £37, a quarter of which was Standing Charges. I guess that usage was just our hot water. I have never been more aware of our Energy usage and costs in 26 years of home ownership.

Until recently we've had the cooling fans on as the apartment is permanently warm! No chance of heating any time soon

I am 100% remote - heading comes on for an hour first thing (I'm not getting up in the cold) and the home office stays warm enough until the evening. Benefits of a modern house.

Master

You did an engineering degree?

You should have mentioned it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thermostat set at 18 degrees this year (previously 19) and have noticed that the heating hardly ever clicks on (so far). I do wear a sweater in the house during winter months. Heating/ hot water (both thermostatically controlled) also timed to come on at 7am till 8.30, 11 to 12.00, then 4.30 till 6.30, then finally 9.30 till 10.00pm.

Heating has been on for a good while now since coming home from Florida.

We live in a large 1930's detached so we don't get any heat from other sources unlike terraced houses/flats.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Ongoing enforced abstinence here - boiler's kaput and the engineer's proving utterly useless and unreliable! Starting to get a bit nippy....

Master
    Still relying only on the woodburner for now. Reckon it will only be a couple of weeks max before the central heating goes on.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

In San Diego, I flipped it on for the first time last night as temps tumbled below 10C.

Finally just relented and have put it on to take the chill off, won’t be on for long though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The temperature took a nose dive today but still haven't switched the main heating on, i have however got 3 logs on the burner and the room has crept up form a chilly 16.5 to a more acceptable 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The temperature took a nose dive today but still haven't switched the main heating on, i have however got 3 logs on the burner and the room has crept up form a chilly 16.5 to a more acceptable 18.
    Same here, but yesterday I found out I have work from mid-Nov through Aug next year, so I put the heating on for an hour to celebrate……

This morning it was +2C but car frozen, so heating is now on twice a day but still planning on reducing the off period in the evenings. Hot water still on manual

It`s 15 degrees in our hall.
    Heating not on yet but will have to relent soon as we`ve done a ton of washing this week and it won`t dry in these conditions and the house is affected by condensation in the mornings.
    I`m sat here wearing a Tempex Coldstore freezer suit - an all-in-one insulated `onesie` that fork lift drivers wear in these huge industrial drive-in freezer depots. My main use of this for the last 10 years has been to keep warm whilst flying my paramotor at 2000`+, now i`m using it indoors..
    Mind you, i always feel cold - my min temp for feeling comfortable is 18 degrees.

19 degrees in our hall which means it is probably 20-22 in the main receptions.

I like a warm house, nothing macho about being cold.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    I'm probably from another planet and I just live on Earth, in my apartment the temperature never drops below 27 degrees Celsius...

And yes, I pay all my own bills.

Craftsman
    We finally succumbed to the cold 2 nights ago and decided it was time to turn the heating on only to find that the boiler refused to play ball so its now time to get the thermal underwear on until our very busy plumber turns up to rectify the issue. Hey ho, at least its not snowing … yet !!

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    We finally succumbed to the cold 2 nights ago and decided it was time to turn the heating on only to find that the boiler refused to play ball so its now time to get the thermal underwear on until our very busy plumber turns up to rectify the issue. Hey ho, at least its not snowing … yet !!

Feel your pain - our boiler's OOO - Worcester-Bosch engineer due Monday. It's damn chilly, but it's the shower I'm really missing!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    19 degrees in our hall which means it is probably 20-22 in the main receptions.

I like a warm house, nothing macho about being cold.
    +1!

I juggle the radiator thermostats to avoid heating unoccupied rooms unnecessarily but I won’t live in a cold house, I don’t see it as a badge of honour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had to put the heating on to stop our 1950s house to stop it becoming a mould fest. Have a shower and the bathroom turns into a cloud. I can handle the cold but the house needs the heat.