closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When are you turning your heating on?

Hybrid View

When are you turning your heating on?

Boring thread, apologies, but when are you putting your heating on?

I've said not to turn the heating on until 1st Nov. My wife thinks this mental and said if we had kids it would be classed as neglect.

Master
    I also thought 1st October but it's currently on, as at home with a mild dose of covid. Best laid plans etc...

Grand Master
    Wifey has decreed that it can`t go on till Oct 1st, but I`ve had it on for a couple of short blasts whilst she's been out

As I`ve got older I`ve started to feel the cold more, she's only 1 year younger but she doesn`t seem to be affected. Looks like I`ll be wearing more layers of clothing this winter.

I`m willing to bet the OPs wife will get her own way on this one.......or a compromise heavily biased in her favour will be reached. Cold unhappy wife isn`t worth the hassle, doesn`t bear thinking about!

It has come on very briefly a couple of times recently. Tado works it out for me and adjusts according to the weather, so it has mostly been a short burst in the early morning and then nothing for the rest of the day.

Hot Water on by manual boost every day or two.

Heating on for an hour in evening if absolutly required, and not-in-use rooms set at 'frost'.

Determined to economise.

Master
    Mine hasn't been off...partner kicks off if it's not 23...i am sat in shorts and t shirt and still too warm.

Luckily it's a new build and the bill is more for electric than gas.

Master
    When it’s cold and below 20 o in house.

If you don’t heat the house for a long(er) period while its cold and wet, you ask for problems. Funges is the least of them.

In my opinion its nonsense not to turn on the heating.

November o'clock if its cold, otherwise what's wrong with a jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    When it’s cold and below 20 o in house.

If you don’t heat the house for a long(er) period while its cold and wet, you ask for problems. Funges is the least of them.

In my opinion its nonsense not to turn on the heating.
    That is more usual with lack of ventilation. It manifests itself readily in lower-standard rented property where the occupants see open windows and ventilation as a heat-loss of their stretched finance.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Boring thread, apologies, but when are you putting your heating on?

I've said not to turn the heating on until 1st Nov. My wife thinks this mental and said if we had kids it would be classed as neglect.
    LOL! Sam’s currently minding the house and has been complaining for days that it’s freezing. I just told him to man up and put a jumper on.

We’re also planning to wait until November this year, and we’re setting a max temp of 20 degrees; I’m also planning on turning it off during the day when it’s just me at home!

When it gets cold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had it on for about an hour last night,and again for a short burst this morning.

Craftsman
    It’s getting very cold in the mornings already and it just doesn’t feel right putting it on just yet although I’m very tempted at times! Similar to wearing a thicker coat as well!

My better half is one of those ‘put an extra jumper on’ people and this is the first winter we’ve lived together in the same house so I think we might be having some ‘discussions’ about the heating in the coming months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the fire in the living room on a couple of evenings this week, but no plans to use the CH.

Never been a believer in setting a regular program, in winter if it’s cold pop it on for 20 mins then turn it off. Use sparingly as required.

Master
    Ours had been on for a week. It’s actually never off but instead controlled by thermostat temps. I like to keep the house at 20 degrees. It kicked in for the first time a few days ago.

I've held off although last night felt a bit chilly for the first time and it is definitely cooler in the morning when getting ready. Thing is, it still warms up in the daytime enough to make it comfortable without any heating. When I checked first thing it was 17C inside and 9C outside....need to be made of stronger stuff and not buckle now if I don't want to be spending mortgage-like monthly payments on heating this winter!

Master
    Wife and i adamant that we’ll hold out from putting the CH on as long as possible, pit the fire on for downstairs when absolutely necessary.
    She’s actually holding out for the end of November when we clear off for 3 weeks but i think that’s a touch on the optimistic side!

Master
    Slightly OT but I am amazed at the temperature some people keep their houses at. I let a property to a mate last year, and often popped over to watch footy and a few beers. The heat in the place was astonishing, almost at the point of being unbearable to me.
    I often wonder if I have some polar bear genes in my makeup.
    And to answer the original question, not yet. And not until I really have to. I bought "oodies" for the kids, nice and snug in those

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Wife informed me from the drive this morning that the car said 2C. I was still warm under the duvet.

I am glad it is me that works from home and not her as we would be broke! She really feels the cold and luckily I do not. Have some thermal layers ready, but it’s my hands that feel it the worst.

November is my target for heating. There may however be the odd log burnt during the day & forsaking a large monitor in my office for the comfort of a fire and MacBook screen.

Master
    I must be getting more northern by the day….just got me big coat out ready for Autumn.

With a bit of luck the heating will only get put on in December (when we get back from Southern California )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I must be getting more northern by the day….just got me big coat out ready for Autumn.

With a bit of luck the heating will only get put on in December (when we get back from Southern California )

Haha lucky bugger, they climate must be rather pleasant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

Got back from three weeks away in the motorhome yesterday. House was bloody freezing so had to get the log burner going. Heating still not been turned on though.

Got a good stash of logs so still on track for leaving the heating off. Now looking forward to the trip to California

Craftsman
    Only turning on when ice starts appearing in living room

August, to make sure it's working OK, and when the 'heating engineers' aren't too busy if anything needs sorting.

First turned on just this morning for a bit to get some heat in the house for the day.

Although it's early and costs are high, the wife works from home and needs to be comfortable so we consider it like any other subscription... Would we pay £50 per month extra starting now to be comfortable at work all day?? The answer is definitely yes!

Not this day. This day, I’m walking around in shorts, polo shirt, gilet. This day I’m cocking a snook at the plummeting temperatures and laughing in the face of temperature-based diversity. This day I’m wondering why I didn’t put the heating on so I could actually feel my feet as I got into the shower and didn’t have to endure an icy blast amongst my nether regions after said shower.

Blog Entries
    It's set to come on by temperature not date. If it gets cold enough it comes on. Simples.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    When Eli looks especially miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Is that expensive? Read stories of people removing them.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...t-their-stoves
    We disconnected our AGA a couple of years ago as it was not only woefully inefficient, but is absolutely crap to cook with! Trouble-is it's unsellable now, no-one wants them, and on trying to 'sell' to a refurbisher he wanted £250 to take it away!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Doggy-coats FTW - Tara rocking the Harley Quinn look:
    (Max is a good deal hardier!)

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Now that is one beautiful whippet. Gorgeous

Craftsman
    Thankfully I'm in a reasonably recent build. Once the sun shines, the house warms up and holds the heat nicely. The hot water is dealt with by a solar diverter using excess power from the solar panels, so don't need the boiler at all for the summer months: just starting to get to that point that I need to turn things back on to let the boiler kick in for an hour in the morning to take the chill off the house after a cooler night.

Normally I'd just stay under the duvet until it warmed up a bit, but my 3 month old seems to have his internal alarm clock set for 0715hrs, so that doesn't work any more.

Definitely not been one to choose a date - if it gets cold for a few days on the trot, or the solar output falls off for 2-3 days and the diverter can't keep the hot water going, then I'll kick the boiler on.

Ours is on now, well for a couple of hours in the morning but off rest of the day once the sun is warming things up

Master
    Usually mid October but looks like its going to be cold this next week so might have to cave in, ofc just as prices go thru the roof but God likes a laugh.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My gas CH is controlled by a NEST stat and fired up about a week ago for the first time since early May. This Winter I have lowered my overall heating temperatures by half a degree and turned the combi water temp down by about 20c and the water heating down by the same amount, radiators in spare bedrooms have the thermostats turned down to 1. I have no idea if I will save anything on my gas consumption and I don’t have a smart meter so difficult to tell with all the price rises.

Loads of people have told me not to install a smart meter and I must admit to being on the fence about it, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's set to come on by temperature not date. If it gets cold enough it comes on. Simples.
    Exactly this. You program the thermostat for set temperatures during the week and you adjust clothing if required.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Exactly this. You program the thermostat for set temperatures during the week and you adjust clothing if required.
    Not rocket science is it? Can't believe people make such a song and dance about it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    First turned on just this morning for a bit to get some heat in the house for the day.

Although it's early and costs are high, the wife works from home and needs to be comfortable so we consider it like any other subscription... Would we pay £50 per month extra starting now to be comfortable at work all day?? The answer is definitely yes!
    Yes hear you loud & clear. I don’t pay £40 a day to commute to London, eat lunch out etc but still hate to turn the heat on for some reason.

Craftsman
    I'm not. Went swimming in Puglia last week....in the sea. Got to be some advantages to living in Italy.

Journeyman
    November I suppose, but our entire estate (84 houses) gets hot water for heating and bathing from a central boiler that’s fired by wood pellets so we are largely immune from the insane price rises in fuel costs.

Plus the house is ridiculously well insulated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As and when to be honest, I am on a fix till May 31st 2023 so not really going to affect me, plus we are in Cape Verde and Spain most of Dec.

Cold in the Borders today, so 2hrs of heating on this evening ..................

In previous years usually it is on for an hour or so at night time, by early to mid November.

Mines been for a few days now

Craftsman
    Definitely not until after I've switched from the summer duvet to the winter one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was close to giving in tonight but have resisted.

When your profile doesn't say, or you don't mention where you live....................

Blog Entries
    A late this year as possible... gas prices in the Netherlands have become the highest in Europe!!! (I'll stop here before it's all too much about politics on this part of the forum).

I have tons of logs for the burners in the garden and under/in a specially made storage (thanks to an interesting example shown here on the forum about 1.5 yrs ago). So we heat the living room and my wife's office with the log burners. 3x this week now. Starting around 7 or 8pm. Two or three logs per burner will do nicely for now.

I lit my log burner tonight (28/9), I intend to not use the gas central heating anymore. If the sun is shining I’ll be using the solar to run my air source heat pumps too. I am all for cheap energy now I have invested in the infrastructure at home.

We have smart thermostats on every radiator and no rooms have gone bellow 18 degrees yet and w haven’t had the heating on. When we do turn on it will be for a short burst in the afternoon but our house is very well insulated

Test run this week…