closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek 7234G-001

Blog Entries

Patek 7234G-001

Can I ask if there are any owners on the forum of this Patek. If so what are your thoughts?

I guess I should explain I have a chance to purchase this model and it has always intrigued me as it’s 37mm but with complications.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I'm sure I've seen the men's 42mm version of this model on the Friday thread, so they might pop in to give their opinion. I'd personally go for that larger 5524 version.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm sure I've seen the men's 42mm version of this model on the Friday thread, so they might pop in to give their opinion. I'd personally go for that larger 5524 version.

With 6 3/4" wrist I am hoping the 37.5mm version (apparently wears larger) will suite my wrist. I need to try it on before seeing if it is too small for me. My ideal watch is perhaps 39mm which is Not far off - considering the bold pushers.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th September 2022 at 22:53.

For this pilot style of watch I think the larger version looks more "right" for want of better word. When I was in Hong Kong over the summer I saw the red gold version of the 7234R selling for what I thought was a pretty reasonable HK$268000.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Sorry to Hi-jack your thread but never having been to Hong Kong,what is the availability of Patek over there?

Would it be possible to get a 5167A - Aquanaut from an AD and if so how much approximately would one cost,or is it just buying from grey dealers? Again at what approximate price?

I have made a few inquiries in the UK and cant seem to even get on a list for one.

I dont know if I am being very naive but I suppose if you dont ask then you will never know!!

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    Sorry to Hi-jack your thread but never having been to Hong Kong,what is the availability of Patek over there?

Would it be possible to get a 5167A - Aquanaut from an AD and if so how much approximately would one cost,or is it just buying from grey dealers? Again at what approximate price?

I have made a few inquiries in the UK and cant seem to even get on a list for one.

I dont know if I am being very naive but I suppose if you dont ask then you will never know!!
    To be honest I think the situation in HK is just as bad if not worse than UK. The 7234R I saw was in a grey dealer and there are a lot of them in the Mongkok area of Kowloon where I'm more familiar with.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post

Zero chance. HK used to be easy for Pateks - I bought a 5167 as a walk in with a 5% discount about 10 years ago but today there is no chance whatsoever. Likewise the other 'easy' market was Bangkok where you could buy 5711 quite easy (white dial variant again 10 years ago could be had for some £12.5k at an AD - blue dial was even then a waitlist piece), Daytona again a walk in piece readily available particularly in white dial config but again today no chance at all

Blog Entries
    I hope to get along to the AD soon to try the 7234 in person. The MRP though...

Good Luck to the OP and thanks for the reply's, looks like I had better cancel the flights to HK!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I hope to get along to the AD soon to try the 7234 in person. The MRP though...
    There's one on Subdial listed at £33k. I reckon they'll be flexible on the price.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

It's very cool and I would be delighted to own one.

But considering the money, a vintage piece would be my first instinct or just a cheaper modern interpretation.

Did the old pilot's watches have complications such as GMT?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    There's one on Subdial listed at £33k. I reckon they'll be flexible on the price.

Thanks for the lead.

Blog Entries
    I tried the 7234G today and for me it would be the right size. The icing on the cake would be to get the one from subdial which is less than retail. We'll see. I thought you'd like to see some pictures.

Movement shot:

Compared to my 5146J:

I saw some other beautiful watches by JLC particularly. Those will be for another time.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 30th September 2022 at 22:10.

Did you manage to try on the 42mm version to compare? The 5524G.

The 5205G is also interesting but more formal.

I like the colour of the dial, but IMO your existing 5146 just looks so much nicer. Hope you manage to get yourself sorted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

none in stock sadly to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I like the colour of the dial, but IMO your existing 5146 just looks so much nicer. Hope you manage to get yourself sorted.
    thanks. I think they are different and complementary. The 5146 is lovely and got complementary remarks from the AD.

Looks much better on you than it does on me, despite my smaller wrist. I think the 42mm would be too big for you based on the photos you’ve show.

I found the strap a little narrow too but again I don’t see that on your wrist!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah looks perfect you. The 42mm will be way too big. Only thing I'd change is the strap. Don't like that shade of blue, does it not come included with a mid brown strap?

Master
    I think 36mm - 40mm are the two safe limits for any watch if you want to safe guard it against any future fashion trends. Whether we like it or not, the WIS market is a slave to fashion. I would avoid 42mm.

I must admit Martyn, the blue does look nice - and not as small on the wrist as I was expecting. It would be good to see 37 & 42 side-by-side, pity none in stock. I assume this was a UK, not Portuguese, AD?

Craftsman
    I was fortunate to try on both the sizes of the rose gold a few years ago. I preferred the larger of the two on my 7 1/4” wrist but would have been happy with either tbh.

Lovely watch Martin and wears very well on you.

I tried one on my wrist (see above), I have quite big wrists apparently but it wore big for its size and it’s really nice watch but not really my thing.

Still very cool.

I’ve never seen someone wear a watch I thought was too small for them. Frequently see people with stuff that’s way too big. It is a bad look. I could tell you without wrist shots that the smaller one is the one I’d go for with 7.25” wrists.

Mate has the 5524R-001 and I’ve tried it a few times. Sits very flat on the wrist and super comfortable too….and at 42mm it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Mate has the 5524R-001 and I’ve tried it a few times. Sits very flat on the wrist and super comfortable too….and at 42mm it works well.
    Very nice watch. I've tried on the R but it was quite lairy as I'm extremely pale. The G was better but at the time there was one brand new in WF unworn for almost £10k less than retail. The sales associate assured me it's impossible to lose money due to inflation! Might take 10 years to get the 40k back but you'd get the 40k back one day. Not sure that's how inflation works...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I must admit Martyn, the blue does look nice - and not as small on the wrist as I was expecting. It would be good to see 37 & 42 side-by-side, pity none in stock. I assume this was a UK, not Portuguese, AD?
    It was a Portuguese AD. 50min drive each way from me but we’ll worth the trip.

Back in 2019 I did manage to see both together and it was difficult to choose between them. The 42mm was the rose gold so a different look. I’ve been on the look out since then but not seen one of either size since, until now

Very nice watch. I've tried on the R but it was quite lairy as I'm extremely pale. The G was better but at the time there was one brand new in WF unworn for almost £10k less than retail. The sales associate assured me it's impossible to lose money due to inflation! Might take 10 years to get the 40k back but you'd get the 40k back one day. Not sure that's how inflation works...

Yeah, it’s skin tone dependant if you go White or Rose Gold.

And it’s certainly one of those rare Pateks that is, and has always been, an outright depreciation piece. Maybe the SA would put his PAYE salary on the line to prove me wrong………….or not……….

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Yeah looks perfect you. The 42mm will be way too big. Only thing I'd change is the strap. Don't like that shade of blue, does it not come included with a mid brown strap?

Ha ha - this is Patek. I would guess an extra strap would be another 360+ though I might see if I could get one included if from the AD.

The blue version looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments. Has anyone dealt with Subdial as a company?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Am I imagining it, or did someone a few years ago post that they had issues with this watch as the pushers were on the left of the case? Not sure if he wore it too tightly.

I was fortunate to be able to have a look at one of these in May when I was in Liverpool, Boodles. Saw it in their window and they were selling it as a womens watch. The proportions look great and the colours are great too. Looks great on your wrist. Good look finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. Has anyone dealt with Subdial as a company?
    I haven’t yet bought anything from them but email correspondence negotiating / buying / selling has been timely and professional. I only ever hear good things from people who have bought / sold from / to them.

Blog Entries
    Popped into WB today to pick wife’s new DJ and they have the complete Patek range on display.

Amazing few minutes peering and funny enough……

Pitch

Question

Assume "exhibition only" pieces Paul?

There was a Rolex thread recently about this

If they have prices they are be for sale, UK law apparently

This is why all the Rolex windows don't have any prices in them. If they do they'll have to sell you the watch

Think Top Cat started the thread with the details.

^ Your hand was shaking with excitement (before you rushed in with Amex in hand!).

Blog Entries
    The wait begins (hint: I didn't pay anywhere close to retail and it was an EU seller so no additional tax to pay, thank you Chrono24.pt)...
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th October 2022 at 18:32.

Blog Entries
    Indeed buddy. They have the full range display once a year for a couple of days. Amazing to see.

Really enjoyable afternoon chatting, being looked after and picking up Mrs P's new DJ she was so chuffed. And I think I could get away with a 31mm after all. Ha,,!!!!

Pitch

Craftsman
    There was a Rolex thread recently about this

If they have prices they are be for sale, UK law apparently

This is why all the Rolex windows don't have any prices in them. If they do they'll have to sell you the watch

Think Top Cat started the thread with the details.
    That is categorically false and the thread in question correctly explained the precise opposite.

See fisher v bell and all the other pertinent case law.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    That is categorically false and the thread in question correctly explained the precise opposite.

See fisher v bell and all the other pertinent case law.
    Ah, I must have been mistaken. There were two pictures of a Rolex AD as a before and after, one with prices and one without. The member here was offered to buy anything which had a price in the window but there and then only. The prices were removed from the window immediately after.

I'm not knowledgeable in that area so will take your response as true.

Blog Entries
    All I can say is…. Don’t ever use UPS, at least in EU.

Dam Martyn, that is a huge disappointment.
    I have suffered the same issue and frustration.
    Hopefully it will arrive on Monday??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Dam Martyn, that is a huge disappointment.
    I have suffered the same issue and frustration.
    Hopefully it will arrive on Monday??
    Hi. Yes, after some hair pulling and losing a few heart beats - I was all ready to take a 450Km round trip to the Customer Service Centre in Lisbon when I got a phone call, "Hello Sir, UPS Driver here - I have a package for you, can you text me your location details and I can deliver your package." Fourty minutes later - the package arrived safely.

The driver had seen my phone number on the package and used his initiative to phone me. I had tried the re-direct box but the webpage was throwing an error so would not accept. The driver knew UPS Corp would probably have had the package sent back to the central pickup point 200 odd Km away from the Algarve.

- anyway, bottom line - its arrived. Just doing a little review to be published soon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    7 1/4” wrist ...

What exercises have you been doing to increase your wrist size? I always thought we had similar sized wrists?