closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The superb Grand Seiko SBGR311, a 42mm Heritage model at last.

The superb Grand Seiko SBGR311, a 42mm Heritage model at last.

Some may be aware that I have been trying for a while to find out if GS ever made any >41mm Heritage models as I really wanted one in my small collection. And finally, here it is. But it is not just another GS limited edition as this GS has a couple of cool features the first of which is the rather striking brown-bronze and patterned dial, and the second, the beautiful case design. So finally I own a 42mm heritage model, which I had all but given up on until I stumbled across this watch on another forum. The movement is a 9268 with a 72hr PR, the first non-SD GS I have owned. This watch was released to commemorate 20 years of the 9S movement.

The spiral design dial is lovely, enhanced by the gold second-hand and GS logo. It comes to life in bright light while remaining quite muted otherwise, like many GS dials. This is a lovely piece of design from GS and a somewhat unique dial combination. The craftsmanship of the immaculately finished sword hands and markers really set the watch off as any GS owner knows too well.

It only arrived today so I am still in the honeymoon period, but I hope this GS stays the distance. Ali its predecessors were moved on due to being too small and I reckon this one may just be right, although it doesn't feel its full 42mm due to the thin lugs and stepped case shape. It is very shiny though!

index4 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

index1 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

index3 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

index2 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Well done, an absolutely beautiful watch.

Blog Entries
    Wow - that dial is amazing!

Dial really is something else, enjoy

Appreciate the comments, it is a pretty cool watch and stunning on the wrist, and aslo the only watch I have ever been compelled to measure the case diameter of. No surprise that it is 42mm but it really doesnt wear like it, more like a chunkier version of a 40mm model. Here it is compared to a 42mm Seamaster.

42mm by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Journeyman
    That’s a stunning face. I mean, I know they’re renowned for that, but that’s a particularly good one. Bravo.

Craftsman
    I’m really into Grand Seiko at the moment, having 2 in my collection but I could easily end up bankrupting myself as there are so many stunning models to choose from !!

Lovely watch, nice addition. Your comment about the 42mm size wearing more like a 40mm rings true with me. I have the Godzilla LE which is a 44mm case, but wears more like a 42mm watch due to the case shape and the shorter lugs.

One of my favourite ever dial designs that really stands out in a unique way with an outstanding level of detail and stunning colour, congratulations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barchettaman View Post
    That’s a stunning face. I mean, I know they’re renowned for that, but that’s a particularly good one. Bravo.
    This in every way.

There's something about (most) of the Grand Seiko faces that show a true, long-standing history of watch making.

Lovely.

It really is a stunning watch, it changes so much depending on the light that it's almost like a two-in-one. In bright light, the dial comes alive with the hand-polished markers and hands; in dull light, it is pretty muted and the dial is almost black. So cool. The case really sets it off though, I am pretty sure the case design is unique to this model.

Once my SGGC247 comes I think I will have found my perfect two-watch GS collection.