closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Omega. X-33 digi-only

Master

New Omega. X-33 digi-only

...is my prediction, based on a recent post I spotted..

the recent pic..

Blog Entries
    I estimate MRP £5,000 or so. If it’s digital only WTF (excuse my language) is the bezel for??
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I estimate MRP £5,000 or so. If it’s digital only WTF (excuse my language) is the bezel for??
    My guess would be a digital handset.

You still have my old one, btw? :)

The teaser I've just seen on twitter seemed to show a very prominent crown and no obvious pushers.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    My guess would be a digital handset.

You still have my old one, btw? :)
    Still with me. Ta. I bought a bracelet of you not sure about the watch ? It was quite some time ago.

perhaps Omega are going to deliver their “Deep Sea”. Well overdue.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th September 2022 at 19:20.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a big fan of the x-33 but not sure about that rendition.

Will look forward to what actually gets released.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Surely it'll have to have smartwatch functionality if it's to even begin to justify the word "leap"?

Wouldn't be the first X-33 without hands if memory serves, the special NZ edition of the original watch ?

Numbers going round "this way and that" are not easy to read.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Last edited by Mr_Mac; 27th September 2022 at 14:45.

That is b*ll*cks! Low-contrast display... Two-year battery life - no solar charging... No Alaska Project references anywhere... Hilariously dated functionality... Only 30m WR despite the ludicrously oversized case and thick caseback... Cheapo drinks-can alloy bezel... And £Six grand!

Omega have lost the plot.

Master
    That's somewhat of a disappointment. Just the Skywalker with a brown bezel. The Poomaster.

EDIT: £6k!!!

‘Massive’ leap forward for the brand?!

Slowly but surely falling out of love with the brand that got me into this hobby.

Big let down. When you hype / count down to a release, it should amount to more than relatively minor changes to an existing watch. Brown bezel definitely not to my taste either.

Digi only would highlight how pointless it is compared to other options. With the hands it at least still trades on the brand heritage.

Blog Entries
    Poop. They release a watch you can’t buy (Deep Sea) and now this… a brown bezel and 6K - they could have put a long life battery in?

I guess it does have some extra digi features if you are on a flight to Mars.

I think it will sell as well as the original X-33 did when it came out. It too, was more than the analog Speedmaster at the time.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th September 2022 at 15:56.

......- they could have put a long life battery in?
    This way they will be seeing you every couple of years and finding all sorts of little invisible faults that you have to pay to fix. And don't try DIY battery changes... Do you know how much one of those screws at the back cost to replace?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    This way they will be seeing you every couple of years and finding all sorts of little invisible faults that you have to pay to fix. And don't try DIY battery changes... Do you know how much one of those screws at the back cost to replace?
    !! Indeed - I have a complete set when a service was done on my previous X-33 so I should be good for a few years

Master
    Before I sold my last one (I've had a couple..) I sent it into the Omega service centre in Southampton for a battery & seals change, and when it came back half of the tiny titanium screws were mangled. They did fix it, but shocking they let it out of the door in the first place.

This is true. I put my X-33 just for a battery swap. First quote was £25. One it reached the service centre suddenly the quoted increased to £165!

I got it sent back and I did the battery change myself. Took 15mins and cost £2!

Just picked up an older x33 (2016) but fully serviced the other month. Love it - but for half the price and no poo-bezel.

I will defo be changing the battery myself - if it can be done in Zero G 10000miles above earth with a Leatherman, then a sausage-fingered middle-Englander should just about manage it at home with a decent Bergeon screwdriver.
    I also have a bunch of spare screws as Omega return all parts serviced, apart from the movement (which I think is a great touch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That is b*ll*cks! Low-contrast display... Two-year battery life - no solar charging... No Alaska Project references anywhere... Hilariously dated functionality... Only 30m WR despite the ludicrously oversized case and thick caseback... Cheapo drinks-can alloy bezel... And £Six grand!

Omega have lost the plot…
    I was just thinking today why this or more other HEQ do not have any solar charging ability!

Surely that’s a simple technology to implement, and makes so much sense.

(But less £££ for them in servicing, possibly?)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I was just thinking today why this or more other HEQ do not have any solar charging ability!

Absolutely. This is an area that the Japanese are decades ahead - for at least 20 years you have been able to buy cheap Casio and Citizen (and probably Seiko) watches that sync to different time signals. First to 'atomic' clocks, then phone networks, or bluetooth, or whatever. I have one from about 20 years ago, it is solar powered and (on a good day, if i get up high enough and point it NNW!) it synchs with the RRC at Anthorn. It's the watch I set all my others by. It's never needed any kind of power cell/capacitor replacement either.

This turd-coloured essay in futility from Omega is a joke - I genuinely thought it would feature at least a limited smartwatch functionality as a bare minimum! Instead it sits uneasily in no-man's-land between retro-appeal, and technological desirability - lacking both.

Props to Omega for making a watch with fully FIVE cocks on the face.

I must admit I was hoping for something a bit more "Minority Report"

Blog Entries

I don't think the sun is too bright inside a mars shuttle craft?

Devils Advocate: In Omega's defence they were tasked with making a revised watch for the next Mars missions. This version has some interesting features if you happen to be on Mars - such as tracking the Mars date / times with Mars' different rotational rate and year length compared to Earth, sidereal times. Apparently it has a solar compass useful as Mars has no magnetic field.

So bravo to Omega to providing another tool watch - perhaps this time it will live up to its X-33 name when getting to Mars.

I don't think the sun is too bright inside a mars shuttle craft?

Devils Advocate: In Omega's defence they were tasked with making a revised watch for the next Mars missions. This version has some interesting features if you happen to be on Mars - such as tracking the Mars date / times with Mars' different rotational rate and year length compared to Earth, sidereal times. Apparently it has a solar compass useful as Mars has no magnetic field.

So bravo to Omega to providing another tool watch - perhaps this time it will live up to its X-33 name when getting to Mars.
    Unfortunately, this watch is just made to time Mars missions from Earth. It isn’t built to be operational on Mars.

The screen, movement and battery would not last or cope with the temperature and pressure extremes on the surface of Mars

I don't think the sun is too bright inside a mars shuttle craft? ...
    Hold yer arm out of the window for a bit, pointing backwards - sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Props to Omega for making a watch with fully FIVE cocks on the face.
    The 12 marker is a little… pronounced, perhaps! :)

Blog Entries

Disappointing. So many missed opportunities…

For example

z
    Last edited by zelig; 27th September 2022 at 22:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Unfortunately, this watch is just made to time Mars missions from Earth. It isn’t built to be operational on Mars.

The screen, movement and battery would not last or cope with the temperature and pressure extremes on the surface of Mars
    Thought it was ESA tested? I need to dig out the tests

“ The timepiece proved itself capable of surviving anything an astronaut might experience – and more. First, it displayed ruggedness by surviving ESTEC’s shaker simulating the intense vibrations of a launch. Then it was spun in a centrifuge to reach seven times the gravity we feel on Earth, just like an astronaut might endure when returning to our planet.

The next step was to analyse its performance after sitting in a vacuum chamber with temperatures ranging from –45°C to +75°C, a far greater range than an astronaut would ever have to endure.

Finally, the watch was blasted with radiation in Sweden under supervision by France’s ONERA/DESP aerospace centre to simulate space radiation. Each watch was inspected visually and its functions were reviewed before and after each test.

but I imagine they would be worn inside space suits or cabins (not EVA) - much like the current X-33 in use in space.

Thought it was ESA tested? I need to dig out the tests

“ The timepiece proved itself capable of surviving anything an astronaut might experience – and more. First, it displayed ruggedness by surviving ESTEC’s shaker simulating the intense vibrations of a launch. Then it was spun in a centrifuge to reach seven times the gravity we feel on Earth, just like an astronaut might endure when returning to our planet.

The next step was to analyse its performance after sitting in a vacuum chamber with temperatures ranging from –45°C to +75°C, a far greater range than an astronaut would ever have to endure.

Finally, the watch was blasted with radiation in Sweden under supervision by France’s ONERA/DESP aerospace centre to simulate space radiation. Each watch was inspected visually and its functions were reviewed before and after each test.

but I imagine they would be worn inside space suits or cabins (not EVA) - much like the current X-33 in use in space.
    Exactly. Check the Mars Temperatures day and night, it would never survive an hour n surface Mars walk! Plus the battery would need to be changed in any case when they arrived as it only lasts 2 years. Isn’t the journey time about that?

Interestingly the X-33 was worn on an ISS EVA Spacewalk recently but I can’t find information on its performance!

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Check the Mars Temperatures day and night, it would never survive an hour n surface Mars walk!

Interestingly the X-33 was worn on an ISS EVA Spacewalk recently but I can’t find information on its performance!
    If EVA the temperatures are going from absolute zero (nearly) to extremely hot in fractions of a second. If it survived those conditions Mars would be a walk in the park?

if inside a space suit it would be near body temp.

Journeyman
    When you compare this to the Apple Watch Ultra, and even a G-Shock, it seems badly spec'd. Let alone at the price they are asking!

I had the original and loved it apart from the contrast between the dial and hands, by which I mean when the digital stuff was lit up it looked great but when it wasn't, the bright white hands just looked lost. I'd still have it were the information on the dial actually properly visible all the time, but it wasn't, so off it went. And I do miss it, I really did like the rest of it.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    earlofsodbury;6073363]That is b*ll*cks! Low-contrast display... Two-year battery life - no solar charging... No Alaska Project references anywhere... Hilariously dated functionality... Only 30m WR despite the ludicrously oversized case and thick caseback... Cheapo drinks-can alloy bezel... And £Six grand!

Omega have lost the plot.

Couldn't agree more...i just missed out on a Casio MRG 5000 for £2500 which is silly money for a digital watch but compared with this it's a bargain even at full RRP.

As a fan of both Omega and the X-33 Skywalker, I think this is definitely evidence that someone at Swatch Head Office has lost the plot.

I’ve always enjoyed Omega in spite of the slew of Limited Editions and the relentless trading on the Apollo Program, James Bond etc. - but I find this off-putting. It’s hilariously expensive, ugly (to my eyes) and adds nothing of any value to the original watch (again, IMO). Pre-release hype of this kind makes my stabbing hand itch, too. Bah.

My boring old standard X-33 is great - a good backlight, I find it easy to read, the alarm is enough to wake the dead and it’s my go-to travel watch as fiddling with time zones and so on is really easy and intuitive. I find the whole control schema to be years ahead of four-button G-shocks (which I also love) and it’s definitely a keeper. But the design is a good few years old and something really original to replace or develop it would have been more welcome than this rather lacklustre facelift.

Plus, I now cannot un-see the knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Disappointing. So many missed opportunities…

For example

z

That at least looks better

Blog Entries

Alternatively, Breitling do have “plug in” charging for rechargeable batteries in some of their “professional” range - keeps them topped up. Seiko have the ‘kenetic’ series. Some batteries last 10years without replacement.

I guess it’s a “no” for this Omega then!

Craftsman
    They haven't bettered the 3291.50.00 yet

Alternatively, Breitling do have “plug in” charging for rechargeable batteries in some of their “professional” range - keeps them topped up. Seiko have the ‘kenetic’ series. Some batteries last 10years without replacement.

I guess it’s a “no” for this Omega then!
    Not an equivalent watch but my Garmin Instinct Solar manages to have both solar and plug in charging.

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Check the Mars Temperatures day and night, it would never survive an hour n surface Mars walk! Plus the battery would need to be changed in any case when they arrived as it only lasts 2 years. Isn’t the journey time about that?

Found this on another forum - indeed the current X-33 is being used for EVA. Shows capable of withstanding zero atmosphere and solar radiation.

Also there is a fun video showing a battery change being done in zero gravity on the ISS I guess this new one could make it's way to mars.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th September 2022 at 20:43.

Craftsman
    Seriously, but why? What possible benefit does knowing the time on Mars bring the average consumer? A NASA team member, ESA astronaut... ok, sure... provide those individuals specialised watches, but a consumer release? I just don't get it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Seriously, but why? What possible benefit does knowing the time on Mars bring the average consumer? A NASA team member, ESA astronaut... ok, sure... provide those individuals specialised watches, but a consumer release? I just don't get it.
    Maybe that IS the point? Omega is producing watches that will be used by Astronauts (The current X-33 is used in space as shown above, the analog Speedmaster has been retired from deployment in space) and are specialist tools. If members of the public want to buy them as well, they can. . . . at a cost. The Gen1, Gen2, Gen3 etc X-33 did not sell well (to the public). I guess this version will sell the same.

I guess the benefits are (in no particular order):

1. Astronauts get to input to the functions of a watch for their mission
    2. The public get to buy the same watch
    3. Omega gets to sell more watches
    4. NASA doesn't have to pay for development of a specific watch

So it's a bit of a win/win in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That's somewhat of a disappointment. Just the Skywalker with a brown bezel. The Poomaster.

EDIT: £6k!!!
    Harsh - but i agree.

The Apple Watch ultra is starting to look like the future compared to this silly exercise in vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JoT View Post

I'd not considered one of these before, does the digital information stay on the screen all the time or disappear and leave it blank?
    "A man of little significance"

Video that I have just watched on the Marstimer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8QnPDZmcI

Quote Originally Posted by JoT View Post

IMHO the Skywalker is a considerably better watch. But get one of the Premium Gshocks that start at £1500 and that's on par with the X33 fit and finish wise with a better module. Go for one of the MRG metal square gshocks (around £3k or so) and that is vastly superior than this latest offering and only half the price