closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MOT reminder for car reg I don’t own?

MOT reminder for car reg I don’t own?

Had an email MOT reminder for car reg that is not mine. I have signed up for reminders for both of our cars. Doesn’t appear to be any kind of scam so could it just be an admin error?

Master
    If the reminder is from the DVLA then whoever you sold the car to has not registered the fact.

If its from a garage etc then they just havent updatd their records.
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 26th September 2022 at 10:41.

Reading the OP I get the impression it's for a car he has no history with.

I'd ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    If the reminder is from the DVLA then whoever you sold the car to has not registered the fact.

If its from a garage etc then they just havent updatd their records.
    Would the DVLA have one's e-mail ? I pretty sure they don't have mine or my wife's.

They have mine because I signed up for reminders. I have no history with car I received the reminder for.

Master
    Ignore it then. Cannot be responsible for something you have no connection with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Ignore it then. Cannot be responsible for something you have no connection with
    I certainly wouldn't ignore it.

If it were me I'd write to the DVLA pointing out the error and asking for confimation that no further action would be taken against me, e.g. being fined for not having an MOT. There are times with the DVLA when you become guilty even if innocent.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

If it were me I'd write to the DVLA pointing out the error and asking for confimation that no further action would be taken against me, e.g. being fined for not having an MOT. There are times with the DVLA when you become guilty even if innocent.

R
    This … they obviously think it’s your car and so they may be other surprises coming.

I'd enter the reg number into the DVLA's online checking system out of interest.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    This … they obviously think it’s your car and so they may be other surprises coming.
    Such as speeding tickets

Master
    Do the DVLA send MOT reminders, if so, I've never had one. Tax, yes, but MOT, no.
    I do get a reminder from my garage that renewal is imminent & service due.
    Last edited by Nealywheelie; 26th September 2022 at 18:44. Reason: Typo

Master

R
    You cannot be fined for not having an MoT test on a vehicle you do not own or are the registered keeper of.

However , I would agree, contacting them to confirm that they have made an error is being proactive. Just in case.

You cannot be fined for not having an MoT test on a vehicle you do not own or are the registered keeper of.
    This - I agree with. I'd just ignore it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    They have mine because I signed up for reminders. I have no history with car I received the reminder for.
    Ah, I didn't know they offered that convenience, makes sense.

However , I would agree, contacting them to confirm that they have made an error is being proactive. Just in case.

You could end up being issued a fine and then needing to challenge it.

You’ve never owned the vehicle

If you’ve never been the registered keeper, write to DVLA to ask for proof that you’re not the registered keeper. Give them as much information about the vehicle as possible.
    DVLA will update their records and send a letter of confirmation to you within 4 weeks.
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1ZZ
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-fines-let...wn-the-vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Ah, I didn't know they offered that convenience, makes sense.
    https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

R

Master

R

This ^^^^^^

B

I'd enter the reg number into the DVLA's online checking system out of interest.

R
    My apologies to all. I’ve just done this and it is my old car on a new plate - a cherished number I think. I traded into to aBMW (Inchcape Colchester) dealer in March against an approved used BMW. Presumably the reminder is still linked somehow.

I’m a prat - not big news to my wife.

My apologies to all. I’ve just done this and it is my old car on a new plate - a cherished number I think. I traded into to aBMW (Inchcape Colchester) dealer in March against an approved used BMW. Presumably the reminder is still linked somehow.

But you shouldn't be linked to it because you don't own it anymore? Maybe you just have to cancel the reminder but I would have expected the link to have automatically been severed once the car was transferred to a new owner. Maybe I expect too much?

Craftsman

10/10
    Well done.
    :)
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But you shouldn't be linked to it because you don't own it anymore? Maybe you just have to cancel the reminder but I would have expected the link to have automatically been severed once the car was transferred to a new owner. Maybe I expect too much?
    Getting MoT reminders by email is entirely an "opt-in" service. Every email reminder has details (and a link) to stop getting email reminders for that particular vehicle.

There may well be parties other than the Registered Keeper (DVSA knows nothing about a vehicle's "owner") who wish to continue to receive MoT reminders after a change of RK - Fleet Managers, for example - so it would make no sense for DVSA to automatically stop sending reminders when there is a change of RK.

R

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Such as speeding tickets
    And rude messages from the London organisation that controls the law carbon zone demanding seventy quid because a car that you don't own was used in their restricted area. And it's a right royal pain to sort it out - ask me how I know....🤨 My advice is to go to DVLA and ask them to confirm if the vehicle is in fact registered to you and take it from there.