closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf club fitting / swing analysis help

Golf club fitting / swing analysis help

Looking for a little advice on getting an appropriate driver without having to remortgage...

I'm a high handicapper in my mid 50s and haven't carried a driver in my bag for decades as any attempt to use one proved disastrous. I recently bought a 5 wood with a lite / senior flex shaft that has proved to be my most reliable/accurate club so I use it off the tee with greater accuracy than anything before.

A custom fitting would no doubt help, but I don't want to mislead or waste the time of a golf pro or shop when I have no intention of spending many hundreds on the latest and greatest - I intend to buy a used club.

So is anyone aware of whether pros/shops/driving ranges offer a 10 minute swing assessment for a fee and a little advice on what club might be best for my swing? I'm not after a lesson - of which I've had many over the years. Or should I just take a punt on a 3 or 4 year old high loft lite flex driver?

Cheers

A swing assessment won’t tell you what driver you need at your level.

Why do you want a driver?

If you are getting the ball round with the clubs you’ve got then stick with those and play the course using the handicap you have.

If you’re looking to bring your handicap down you can do that with the above and good course management. A driver on its own won’t do that.

If you must add a driver then go for one with a similar shaft to your 5 wood with an adjustable head. Something like a Taylormade R1 10.5 degree. Hit the ball on the up to reduce spin. If you come in to steep the ball will balloon up in the air with spin. That’s when the problems start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you're buying a 2nd hand club from them then I'd expect them to facilitate some time on a launch monitor or at least allow you to purchase some balls/time to see that data to compare to your existing driver. Another option is to pay £30-45 for a fitting, or book into a free fitting day, as that way you'll find out what head/shaft combo you prefer but they'll be current models so you'd have to look for a used model c3-6mths old at c50% rrp.
    Failing that, check the specs of the shaft you like in your 5 wood and buy an older model with a similar spec shaft on the basis you can move it on at minimal cost. I'd favour the fitting route as a) you know it suits your swing and b) it negates the hassle and time if you need to buy/sell until you're happy.
    Next to your putter, I think the driver is the most important club in the bag given it dictates the quality of the second shot available to you.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 24th September 2022 at 14:31.

Thanks both - useful info. Further questions based on a couple of Andy's points:

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    A swing assessment won’t tell you what driver you need at your level.
    Then I'm either using the wrong term or bemused - what other purpose would a swing assessment serve? Isn't this what American golf etc offer?

Why do you want a driver?
    To hit longer tee shots. I'm reasonably consistent now with the 5 wood off the tee so am hoping to exceed 200 yards with a similar consistency

If you are getting the ball round with the clubs you’ve got then stick with those and play the course using the handicap you have.
    Don't we all aspire to shave a stroke or two off of our score? Not that I have an official handicap - my measure of success is to get around a course in under 100 and with the same ball :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    My measure of success is to get around a course in under 100 and with the same ball :wink:
    Five shots per hole gets you 90. Five shots can consist your 5 wood off the tee, a 7 iron, wedge and two putts on the majority of 400-450 yard holes. Yes, par 5's can be more of a challenge for those who don't hit as far, but three 7 irons at 150 yards only usually leaves a short approach and a putt. Take 4 shots on a couple of par 3's and that compensates for the odd 6 on par 5's.

I still carry my driver and sometimes hit it well, but I don't need it to score well. Truth is, we just all want to use one/play well with one, but course management wins the day for me.

I'd maybe buy the 3 wood version of your 5 wood and maybe that will get you the extra off the tee you want?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I still carry my driver and sometimes hit it well, but I don't need it to score well. Truth is, we just all want to use one/play well with one, but course management wins the day for me .
    Every extra 10yds off the tee means you're hitting one club less into a green and that can make a big difference, all things being equal. I don't know any low single figure golfers who don't use a driver but it's not how, it's how many, so shot selection/course management is always important.
    IME many high handicappers could save c5 shots a round by better shot selection and a similar amount by hitting more fairways with a driver.
    That said the impact of any improvements are very dependent upon the strengths of your game. My driver is key to my low single figure handicap as it puts me in play and in reach of most greens in two.

I play with a bloke who plays off +5, I've only seen him use his driver a handful of times.
    Not much use for you I know, as you want to get better with a driver but if your main aim is to reduce your handicap then it might be better getting to grips with 3/5 wood or even a hybrid.
    Take this with a pinch of salt though as I'm crap at golf but I still love to go every week.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I absolutely disagree with the comment above regarding a driver being the second most important club in the bag.

Its not what clubs you have but how you use them. If the OP is a high handicapper who has stated that throughout his golfing life any attempt to use a driver has proved disastrous then why look to get one now?
    Saying that an extra few yards of the tee means a shorter shot into a green is meaningless if (a) you can’t hit the driver and (b) your short game needs work.

If the 5 wood is working then stick to that and also,I would hazard a guess,work on improving the short game. I would guess that more shots will be saved over a round by improving that area of the game rather than thinking a driver is some sort of automatic game improver. It’s potentially much more likely to cost more shots.

In the OP’s case my recommendation would be to stay away from the driver.

There’s a few guys on twitter who do stats for pros and amateurs and they are of the opinion people should be hitting driver wherever possible.
    Let’s be honest…… if you’re a high handicap golfer you’re going to be equally inconsistent with a 3 or 5 wood as you will be with a driver but you’ll be further down with a driver.
    I would say to the OP try to get a driver fitting somewhere even if it’s just to get an idea of what shaft suits you best (e.g. regular or stiff, weight of shaft). Getting the right shaft is by far the most important and then you can shop around with a bit more confidence for one that suits your budget.

A custom fitting would no doubt help, but I don't want to mislead or waste the time of a golf pro or shop when I have no intention of spending many hundreds on the latest and greatest - I intend to buy a used club.
    If you feel that you’d benefit from a driver on certain holes, then there’s no reason at all that you shouldn’t try one.

Going to your local pro to find out what spec shaft and driver head suits you, is exactly the right thing to do. Be straight from the outset and say that you have no intention to buy new, there is no obligation for you to do so. The pro would charge you the normal rate for their time and analysis, whether you buy or not, so it’s a win, win.

Once you’ve been, you’ll know whether a driver is for you or not, and if it is, then you’ll know what to look for. Places like eBay and Facebook are riddled with drivers and shaft combo’s that were released last year or the year before and are being offered for sale by flippers who like to keep up-to-date with the latest releases.

£35-£50 investment for a fitting and expert insight would be money well spent imho.

Just my 2p worth.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    There’s a few guys on twitter who do stats for pros and amateurs and they are of the opinion people should be hitting driver wherever possible.
    Let’s be honest…… if you’re a high handicap golfer you’re going to be equally inconsistent with a 3 or 5 wood as you will be with a driver but you’ll be further down with a driver.
    I would say to the OP try to get a driver fitting somewhere even if it’s just to get an idea of what shaft suits you best (e.g. regular or stiff, weight of shaft). Getting the right shaft is by far the most important and then you can shop around with a bit more confidence for one that suits your budget.
    I agree with this 100%, if you drive the ball well you will score better and you won’t know if you can drive the ball well without a driver.

I would say buy the best Ping driver you can with a similar shaft flex to your 5 wood. The forgiveness on the Pings is excellent, I call mine the cheat stick.

Ross

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I play with a bloke who plays off +5, I've only seen him use his driver a handful of times..
    Most + golfers hit a long(ish) ball so have the option to use lesser clubs and still be easily in reach in 2. The shorter your length off the tee the more valuable the driver can be if played well.

Master
    I started playing earlier this year so I’m sure my thoughts are the least credible of the advice above.

I started learning in a Trackman lab with a pro so have an okay understanding of the variables.

I recently decided not to use my driver as I had better results with a straight 4 iron giving me 190yds versus the driver giving me 210 ( best was 251) but too frequently with an unacceptable dispersion.

I told the pro I’m not carrying the woods for winter as I want to break 100 ( with same ball) and am targeting 95 by Easter next year. His advice was to not give up on it as the head speed, face to speed, smash factors, etc were good it’s just about the practice and, in my case, adequate stretching before playing.

My advice for what it’s worth is a session with a pro to get the data so that you know what specification you’re looking for.

Master
    Find a second hand ping G10 in regular flex.
    Job done

I would get a lesson on the driver, practice what he tells you and once you’re happy get a fitting.
    I got a fitting a couple of months ago, love my new driver, cost £500 (Titleist).
    Worth every penny for me as it gives me confidence standing on the tee box.

Master
    If you have an American Golf Store nearby, book a free driver fitting online. Then go in and tell the fitter you are just getting back into golf and have little knowledge on what might suit your game or if a driver is right for you at all.

The fitters are not on commission and if you pick a spot midweek, most aren't busy and will be happy to help without making a sales pitch, avoid peak hours though. You will hit a load of shots in a net with different driver head and shaft combinations with the results being measured by a machine called a launch monitor. That will give you a sense of the type of thing that works for you, in terms of loft and shaft flex as well as what does not work. They will fit you into the latest models and you won't want to pay what they cost but it will help you focus on what might work and the type of thing you like. Zero issue telling them that you want to "think" about whatever they fit you into as it's a large cost investment for someone finding their way in the game.

Then see what you can find secondhand - clubs are pretty expensive at the moment, a few pointers:

Loft is your friend - unless you have a decent swing-speed to generate ball-speed, more loft generates more spin which keeps the ball in the air at lower ball-speeds and generally less loft exacerbates any sidespin (a ball can only spin on one axis) so more loft reduces misses left or right by adding bias to the vertical axis through backspin. Don't be afraid to try a 12degree driver, easy to fall into the trap of not having enough loft, far more common than having too much loft and more fatal unless you have a fast swing.

Shaft flex - relates to both swing speed and tempo. A smooth swinger at say 100 mph can get better results from a softer shaft than someone who swings at 100 mph but has an aggressive transition which puts more strain (and flex) on the shaft. Lighter shafts can give you faster clubhead speed but you need to be able to control the clubhead and that can be more difficult if a shaft is too light.

Try to get a driver that has an adjustable head. These allow you to change the loft and lie of the driver so you can not only play around with it to find a setting that works best for you now, but if your swing changes a bit you may be able to adjust the driver in a manner that still makes it a reasonable fit for you.

Driver length - drivers get longer and longer 45.75" is now the standard for most. Longer is more difficult to control, so pay attention to what length feels right and without getting too technical, the weight of the head needs to be matched to the shaft length as if you simply cut 0.75" off the end of the shaft to shorten to a more manageable playing length of 45", you may well find the club feels a bit too light.

One final generalisation, Ping drivers tend to have more actual loft than is stated on the clubhead, and rightly have a good reputation for being forgiving. They will be a little more expensive than other secondhand drivers of an equivalent age but equally you get more money back on selling. And don't be afraid to discover you are more consistent with a 3 wood, use whatever works!

You're on the right track...Cobra Airspeed or AirX 11.5 Degree lite flex, 40 Gram shaft. High launch, stupidly straight. Great club for seniors, pick one up on the bay.

I've had many fittings over the years so have learnt to understand the data and various equipment options pretty well.

With regard to any driver fitting I would only advocate one at an outdoor range where you can see the ball flight and not therefore hitting into a screen/off a mat on a monitor. The flight of the ball with a driver is key and you cannot purely rely on the launch monitor data for that.......so seek a Pro/Fitter who will do a fitting outdoors is my advice for a driver.

As someone else rightly said the shaft is the absolute key component for the driver followed by the head but you need for both to work together and in your hands/with your own swing/AoA = how you deliver the clubhead to the ball.

I'd also recommend a fitting after lessons and, ideally, with the same pro you see for those lessons as they will know your swing/bio-mechanics best. Good luck!

Sorry I had missed a few posts - thanks all for the advice (and SpeedyExplorer for the very kind offer of his own driver).

Ping clubs sound like the Submariner of the golf world in terms of value retention

Master
    Get a ping g g30 or g400 10.5 degree reg flex from ebay. Try it if you don't like it stick it back on ebay.

Couple of cracking Ping clubs on sales corner OP.
    I've bought clubs of Gareth before and they have been first class.

Thanks Chukas, and they do look lovely - though I'm too slow for stiff shafts.

I've just taken delivery of a Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 12 degree with senior flex - planning on taking it to the range at the weekend. Great price and service from GolfGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Couple of cracking Ping clubs on sales corner OP.
    I've bought clubs of Gareth before and they have been first class.
    Cheers Brian. Both the G425’s are sold into the Trade guy now.

Bit of a thread resurrection I know, but surprisingly little mention of golf on the forum considering membership is quite well aligned to the typical golfer demographic...
    So my Cobra driver with senior shaft is a revelation. After 15 years without a driver in the bag I'm using it off most tees and cannot believe how forgiving it is compared to drivers of yesteryear.
    I must admit, being a mostly sedentary 56 year old fair weather golfer, 9 holes every couple of weeks in the summer is about my frequency. 18 holes is a tiring day, and having played 18 this evening I have another round tomorrow so expect to be popping the ibuprofen. Still, it's a fantastic feeling when you have a good round/hole/shot and the exercise is undoubtedly good even if the golf is carp. Takes the mind off of the daily grind, can be a bit of social interaction, and a beer in the 19th tastes good.
    How are the golfers out there enjoying the game?

Master
    Can't beat golf at the moment.
    Courses in top shape with the amount of rain we've had.
    Played Western Gailes today and after a fairly calm start the wind whipped up a fair bit to make things fairly tricky.
    A nice Magners at the 19th to round off a cracking day.
    New Ping 430 driver in the bag at the moment which I'm going to tinker a bit with over the weekend to get the height down a bit.

Master
    Yeah golf is ace right now - my home track is in great nick. Obviously I’m ruining it all by my current tendency of playing like a donkey but just getting out there for the exercise and a few beers makes up for that. Off to Spain on our annual tour next month too which is always a highlight.

Golf club fitting / swing analysis help

I’m booked with a few mates for a long weekend golfing in Tenerife in November. 3 different courses and quite excited. Though rather than arriving home from holiday refreshed, we’ will be fubar’d after burning the candle at both ends.

Master
    I’m booked with a few mates for a long weekend golfing in Tenerife in November. 3 different courses and quite excited. Rather than arriving home from holiday refreshed, we’ll be fubar’d after burning the candle at both ends.
    Haha
    My wife always says "just take it easy"
    That's not an option is the stock reply.
    13 of us off to Lisbon side of Portugal for 5 days and four rounds of golf end of Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    ...Western Gailes...
    Had a bit of a flashback there.

I used to be a boy caddy at WG. I'd walk an hour & a bit from my house to the course, stand about for a couple of hours, get a crabbit Glaswegian's bag at the caddymaster's pleasure, walk the course for nearly four hours with the incontinent hacker & then walk the the hour & a bit home. All for ten bob/50p.

It was almost 55 years ago, though!
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Had a bit of a flashback there.

I used to be a boy caddy at WG. I'd walk an hour & a bit from my house to the course, stand about for a couple of hours, get a crabbit Glaswegian's bag at the caddymaster's pleasure, walk the course for nearly four hours with the incontinent hacker & then walk the the hour & a bit home. All for ten bob/50p.

It was almost 55 years ago, though!
    Jesus. Different days.
    I think the norm now is £60 plus gratuity and if a caddie doesn't come away with at least £100 it's a poor bag.
    Some will do 2 rounds a day.
    Mostly American visitors.