closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Merc CLS owners out there?

Any Merc CLS owners out there?

Bit of a random one but I’ve used the hive mind here previously to good effect.

My lease car is going back and I don’t fancy jumping into a new deal because the deals and cars available don’t really appeal.

I’ve always lusted after a Merc CLS but it’s never been the right time or deal. I’ve seen a 2006 one available which is a 320 diesel and I’m seriously tempted to take a punt.

It’s got 146k on the clock and has had a service and mot in July. The transmission oil was done on it 18 months ago and there’s a decent amount of receipts and history.

All of the above is £2.75k and I’m teetering on the side of taking the plunge and giving it a go.

Only thing that doesn’t work is the parking sensors.

Any owners/ former owners out there who could let me know whether I would be a fool to go ahead and buy it?

I will be doing about 15-20k of motorway miles over the next year.

Master
    My brother had one for years and loved it.
    Obviously have a good look and check that everything works.
    It might be worth getting it checked by a Merc independent as they will be able to plug it into the Star diagnostic system as well as give it a thorough once over and give you a report.
    I had one done when I bought my used Merc and it was worthwhile.
    There are some very good forums for Mercedes that are really helpful when/if things go wrong.

I keep looking at them and will probably take the plunge on a late mk1 at some stage.

The reversing sensors on my 2005 E class were very temperamental so I switched them off and never used them. I had no other electrical issues so it wasn’t a sign of something worse and, if I were buying the car that you’re considering, it wouldn’t put me off.

As standard, they’re around 220bhp but the later Grand Editions are 272bhp so should be able to be remapped quite easily.

Cheers for the input. It’s a hell of a lot of car for the money. I spend loads of time watching YouTube videos where people take the plunge and I’ve never had the nerve. Was amazed that the insurance was the same as my outgoing golf estate.

Had the estate version, 250, styling is a bit marminte, preferred it to my (now ex) wife’s e class, just felt a bit more classy. Very comfy and fugal on the motorway.

Master
    Had a couple of these in varying generations.

Brilliant cars.

At that mileage check for a long and detailed service history obviously.

Suspension I would want checking too.

The engine is good for 100,000s if maintained well.

However at that price which is probably equal to 4-5 month lease rental these days, definitely worth a punt.

Master
    I’ve been running a mk2 (2013) CLS350 for over a year. Not had a single issue.
    I know it’s an earlier model/generation you are looking at but for that kind of money it’s really not too much of a gamble. As someone else said, the cost is basically about 5 months of a contract for something decent.
    The mileage wouldn’t worry me at all.

Have you test driven one? They aren’t the sportiest handling of cars. I know they look sleek but there’s still a lot of mass. They can deal with a modicum of spirited B road driving but excel at wafting along.

I really shouldnt read these threads, off to Autotrader and Piston Heads for a look now!

Master
    We've just bought an estate and so far it's great. I don't find much loss of boot space over an E class and it's a great shape. This one goes well too. Woozle likes it and I like her as long as she doesn't jump onto the roof!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    We've just bought an estate and so far it's great. I don't find much loss of boot space over an E class and it's a great shape. This one goes well too. Woozle likes it and I like her as long as she doesn't jump onto the roof!
    That looks like a great one!
    How old is it if you don’t mind me asking?

Master
    It's a 2012 Edition 1 car. Had a few options as standard. carbon fibre trim, dynamic cooled seats etc and the S remap to 558bhp....
    All the petrol facelift cars are S models so run 585bhp. There is one cls500 about, not sure how as they didn't officially sell them here but it's a rhd car.

I pulled the trigger and pick up my new to me CLS on Sunday morning. Managed to find a gem with 79k miles, 07 plate with full mot for £3.5k.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny778 View Post
    I pulled the trigger and pick up my new to me CLS on Sunday morning. Managed to find a gem with 79k miles, 07 plate with full mot for £3.5k.
    Great stuff!
    Look forward to some pics of the new beast when you pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    Ironically my parking sensors have now packed up, I suspect the auxiliary battery as the stop/start has also become more random.
    Every possibility a new battery will fix these issues however they are very complex and sometimes quirky cars with faults.
    You really need a good indie, they’ll have seen it all before and can save you much heartache and time replacing parts by self diagnosing.