closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inspiration, please for a good practical watch, with the following criteria?

Inspiration, please for a good practical watch, with the following criteria?

Having recently sold my watches, apart from my BB58, I am looking for a good sturdy all round watch with the following parameters.
    Certainly NOT a ROLEX.

Automatic movement.
    39 - 40mm and maximum of 11 mm in height.

Date; black numbers on a white background, so is easy to read or a large date.
    Fantastic lume.
    WR 100m - I don’t need a divers watch.
    Is fitted on a strap or can be.

I have been contemplating the new IWC mark
    XX black dial, shorter lug distance and increased WR, as it seems to tick most of the boxes or the Cartier de Santos WSSA0047 which has the lighter dial.

What other watches should I also consider?

Thank you.

Last edited by Topcat30093; 23rd September 2022 at 10:01. Reason: Amended title

Master
    Sinn?

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Sinn?
    Thank you

Any particular one?

I always thought that they were quite chunky or had a large diameter.

Blog Entries
    Have you looked at the Damasko DA 37 on Sales Corner at the moment. Biblical lume, can be a strap monster if desired and incredibly robust build quality. I would suggest all boxes ticked except the dressing up option.

There's a PVD Sinn 556 on the SC at the moment at what feels like an honest price?

(Lume isn't amazing on these, but it's OK!)

Master
    I’d embrace the medium size Santos personally, very nice paired with the 58.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.
    Will take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One from the left-field, Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 - it's a better watch than 556, as it has a hardened steel case, hardened steel bracelet, shorter lug-lug, better lume, an 18mm lug width which means it can be worn with slimmer straps, lots of different configurations, same movement, same WR, sapphire crystal, &c &c, and it's the best part of £300 cheaper. I have the red-dialled version, and it's one of the most comfortable watches I own.

There's a full-lume white dial, too -

Ickler make cases for a lot of other people, so the quality is top-notch.

There's a slightly larger 41mm version, a Ti version and a chronograph as well.

Inspiration, please for a good practical watch, with the following criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    One from the left-field, Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 - it's a better watch than 556, as it has a hardened steel case, hardened steel bracelet, shorter lug-lug, better lume, an 18mm lug width which means it can be worn with slimmer straps, lots of different configurations, same movement, same WR, sapphire crystal, &c &c, and it's the best part of £300 cheaper. I have the red-dialled version, and it's one of the most comfortable watches I own.

Win!!
    I am having one of those…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Hope the OP goes for the IWC Mark XX. It could be the first one on the forum.

Thanks Earl for the link.
    They have some good looking tool watches.
    Damasko are also a possibility.

But as Seabiscuit touched on, I am looking at the IWC.
    Though which colour dial?

My head says black as it is a matt colour, but the blue which a sunburst colour, will change in different shades from light blue to black.
    And I don't believe that it should affect the legibility much.

On enquiring with several AD's blue appears to be the only one in stock!
    No black dials available, which is a shame.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Hope the OP goes for the IWC Mark XX. It could be the first one on the forum.
    Me too. I'm very tempted by this watch. Waiting for the bracelet version to come out first though.

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Me too. I'm very tempted by this watch. Waiting for the bracelet version to come out first though.
    You can also get a rubber strap for them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    You can also get a rubber strap for them

Interesting.

... I am looking at the IWC.
    Though which colour dial?

My head says black as it is a matt colour, but the blue which a sunburst colour, will change in different shades from light blue to black.
    And I don't believe that it should affect the legibility much.

On enquiring with several AD's blue appears to be the only one in stock!
    No black dials available, which is a shame.
    I'd want to see them side-by-side before spaffing north of £5K!

Mind, personally I prefer the Mk XVIII (looks at least) - and for the price of the XX you could buy an XVIII and an Archimede!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Win!!
    I am having one of those…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Great thread, impressed with these!

Does anyone have or had the 41 mm chrono version? Would love to see some real life pictures and experiences if possible.

Jon

There's a full-lume white dial, too -

Ickler make cases for a lot of other people, so the quality is top-notch.

There's a slightly larger 41mm version, a Ti version and a chronograph as well.
    Great suggestion, never handled any of these in person but sniffed around them online countless times!

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Great suggestion, never handled any of these in person but sniffed around them online countless times!
    They're a really sleek wee thing in-the-metal, the short, concealed lugs make them wear smaller than they are, yet the large dial is super-legible. They really deserve more attention than they get, they're an honest-to-god bargain and I struggle to think of a better field watch.

Also, Ickler really deserves its reputation for a high quality well-finished case: hand-on-heart they're superior to any of the Sinns and Damaskos I own/owned.

I really want to add the chronograph version to the collection at some point.

Craftsman
    Have you considered a Longines Spirit watch?

They come in 40mm width, (also 37mm and 42mm), different colours, 100m water resistance, decent date , COSC certified and a good power reserve on the movement of 64 hours. Seems to tick most of your boxes.
    Last edited by Bonny Marco; 25th September 2022 at 12:59.

They're a really sleek wee thing in-the-metal, the short, concealed lugs make them wear smaller than they are, yet the large dial is super-legible. They really deserve more attention than they get, they're an honest-to-god bargain and I struggle to think of a better field watch.

Also, Ickler really deserves its reputation for a high quality well-finished case: hand-on-heart they're superior to any of the Sinns and Damaskos I own/owned.

Earl, do they have any UK dealers, or do you buy direct from them?

https://pilotswatches.co.uk/ He is near Harborne, Birmingham. I have bought several watches from him in the past, when he sold Jorg Schauer, Stowa and Fortis.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I’d embrace the medium size Santos personally, very nice paired with the 58.
    This is great advice, although you don't get the date so depends on how important that is.

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    https://pilotswatches.co.uk/ He is near Harborne, Birmingham. I have bought several watches from him in the past, when he sold Jorg Schauer, Stowa and Fortis.
    Thank you for the info.
    I contacted them, but unfortunately they no longer do that brand.
    Due to Brexit it was getting too complicated!

You sure you don't work for them?
    Cheers for your insight and well, I'll keep sniffin' till I snatch one, I reckon!

Earl, do they have any UK dealers, or do you buy direct from them?
    TBH, I didn't know they had a UK dealer, so thanks to Tempfort for that! I dealt with them direct. Be cheaper, obviously, to use the dealer.

[QUOTE=earlofsodbury;6072874]TBH, I didn't know they had a UK dealer, so thanks to Tempfort for that! I dealt with them direct. Be cheaper, obviously, to use the dealer.[/QUOTE

Ooof! I bet a lot of smaller brands are going the same way - just not worth the hassle for the small number of sales.