closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best budget backpack

Master
    Blog Entries

Best budget backpack

Any recommendations for a laptop backpack for commuting. Ideally less than £100!

I alternate between this Dell one which I s pretty good. Bought another for my wife.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...carrying-cases

Thule are the other backpacks I have. Extremely good but more expensive.

Master
    I have a small Millican one which has been great for the 8 times I’ve commuted this year! Joking aside they’re well made and great value.

Sale currently on, so worth a look. We walked around NY with, small and discreet enough.

Previously had an Osprey, again great quality. This one had a frame so it would stand up on its own when on the tube. But heavier as a result.

Master
    Big fan of Millican here, had numerous over the years and all have lasted well and have been easy to use with lots of thoughtful storage.

I might have a spare 15/18l Fraser and an Oli as I bought a few in a sale a while back for family and don't think we've used them all so pm me if you're interested and I'll have a look at what's left.

I’ve been using an Amazon basics for the last two years, held up exceptionally well and water resistant to boot. I think it was about £50

Craftsman
    Wenger, great quality.

Master
    Never had an issue with Targus, used them for years.

Master
    Had several Wenger, not because there’s anything wrong with them but as I get bored, my lads been using a Kroser from Amazon which seems a cheaper version of the Wenger ones and has lasted up well looking almost new after daily use for other a year.

Colleague uses an Arcteryx one that looks good - dunno on cost.
    I have an Eastpack one, 3 pouches, padded laptop section. Good straps, durable.

https://www.eastpak.com/uk-en/backpa...2S+00+999.html

I think it has a lifetime guarantee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you don't mind paying £100 then you won't get much better than an Osprey, both myself and the wife thought they were overpriced but she then got one and it was really good so I bought the Osprey Radial and its the best bag I have ever owned, its light, strong and also has a frame thats actually hidden they are mega comfy, both bags go all over with us now.

And lifetime guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Wenger, great quality.
    +1

I've got this Samsonite one you can have for £30, posted. It's used, but you wouldn't really know to look at it. Drop me a PM if you need more info!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some great suggestions thank you! I need to do some pricing!

Master
    I've just thrown out a Wenger that was about 15 years old because the stiching on one of the straps finally gave way. For the first 5 years of it's life it followed me round the country doing circa 250 software demos and carrying a laptop, a largish projector, a 5m extension lead, a water bottle and a sheaf of brochures. Most of the traveling was by train so it didn't just spend it's time on the back seat of the car.

I'd buy another Wenger if I needed one.*

(Except I try really hard these days to not create demand for plastic so I'd probably spend a bit more and take the compromises of a cotton one. The BearMade one looks nice but they are definitely not budget).

Craftsman
    Osprey has served me well. Check the zip quality as this is often a point of failure.

Master
    If you live near a TK Maxx then job jobbed :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend Dakine. I bought one about 10 years ago for a ski trip as they seem to be the go-to Skiers/Snowboarders backpack. Since then it has been on around 20 ski trips as well as seeing regular daily service as my gym bag. It might have been double the price of a Nike or average backpack but for longevity it is awesome value for money.

Blog Entries
    I still have a Targus laptop bag that was provided by my employer back in 2002 (I think it was about £30), which I used daily for 13-14 years.

I don't use it much now and it's stuck in the bottom of my cupboard but it's still like new - with only some minor wear to the "bottom", where I've put it on the ground. I doubt the quality is the same nowadays.

I love how this forum considers a 'budget' backpack to be up to £100!

I treated myself to a Millican rolltop in the sale in January, been very pleased with it.

If you're really on a budget, check out Decathlon!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Don’t get Deuter

Master
    Wenger for me too. Nice padded pocket for the laptop and plenty of other pockets/space. Over 3 1/2 years old and still looks new.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Musto one, it’s excellent but I suspect these are all much the same.

I’d just look for the one with the biggest discount available if you are not bothered by brand.

Pm'd you.