closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina - any good?

Craftsman

Certina - any good?

Having looked at the link in the PSA thread in the Sales Corner, my eye was drawn to some of the Certina automatics which look rather nice. What's the forum's take on Certina - are they any good?

Yes they are, the DS PH200M is an absolutely stunning looker if you like Military looking watches, but all the DS are good.

Yes they are same as tissot and hamilton build quality but be warned those sale prices are naff compared to what i have seen them at.
    I think that sale is poor in general.

Master
    Good looking, but build quality seems variable. My Certina DS Podium quartz has been beset with strange issues and unreliablity. Being a cheapskate, I bought it S/H off ebay, which may tell its own story! But its just a quartz watch so it should have been basically bang proof....

Craftsman
    It's the automatics that interest me, and the Powermatic 80 movement sounds promising.

The popular dive watches seem to have painted dials which does not appeal to me.

I associate painted dials with cheap watches.

I always look for applied indices as it provides some element of quality, and these can be bought at similar prices.

Not sure what this 'painted dials' business is all about?

Most dials on most watches are at least partly pad-printed, those that are wholly PP'd (fnarr!) are usually a design decision - typically vintage-style and tool watches go this way, and it's perfectly valid - e.g. Old Rolexes seem to change hands for 5-figures upwards with exactly such dials.

Also, I owned a (not-so)humble quartz DS Action Diver, and it was really well made: ceramic bezel insert, really lovely sunburst dial, crisp 3D applied indices with quality lume, and what is still the best on-the-fly micro-adjust bracelet clasp I have ever encountered - even on FAR more expensive watches.

I've also owned a Hamilton that had the 80-hour movement, and it was flawless, kept great time and it was always nice to find it still ticking long after everything else had run out of steam. Flipside - name any movement, or any brand, and someone, somewhere will have had problems with it...

Ignore the moaners, for some of them if a watch isn't one of half-a-dozen name-droppable brands recognisable at the 19th hole, it's garbage...

edit - coupla pics, FWIW:

Last edited by earlofsodbury; 22nd September 2022 at 16:51.

I love this old girl

and the re-issues

are a bargain pre-owned.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Not sure what this 'painted dials' business is all about?

Most dials on most watches are at least partly pad-printed, those that are wholly PP'd (fnarr!) are usually a design decision - typically vintage-style and tool watches go this way, and it's perfectly valid - e.g. Old Rolexes seem to change hands for 5-figures upwards with exactly such dials.

Also, I owned a (not-so)humble quartz DS Action Diver, and it was really well made: ceramic bezel insert, really lovely sunburst dial, crisp 3D applied indices with quality lume, and what is still the best on-the-fly micro-adjust bracelet clasp I have ever encountered - even on FAR more expensive watches.

I've also owned a Hamilton that had the 80-hour movement, and it was flawless, kept great time and it was always nice to find it still ticking long after everything else had run out of steam. Flipside - name any movement, or any brand, and someone, somewhere will have had problems with it...

Ignore the moaners, for some of them if a watch isn't one of half-a-dozen name-droppable brands recognisable at the 19th hole, it's garbage...

edit - coupla pics, FWIW:
    That does look rather lovely! It was a blue or green dialled one that caught my eye so might have to find a dealer to try one on :)

Yes, can highly recommend. This was bought because I love alpha hands and ticks all the other boxes - 100m WR, sapphire, heat blued seconds hand and 40mm case. Would have preferred 38mm but never mind. Changed the awful strap out for a nice leather. Gives the JLC Master Control a complex. Currently running at a very respectable +2s/day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know much about contemporary Certina but the company has a rich history of watchmaking. Kurth Freres was the original company & they produced Grana labelled watches. Later they produced watches under the Certina brand. I'm a massive fan of vintage Certina, the Certina cal. 25-651 is sublime, & the Certina DS2 super ph500m Tektite is one of my grails.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhQZJ1TcEU
    https://www.longitudi.fi/en/product/...-divers-watch/
    Last edited by trident-7; 22nd September 2022 at 19:17.

The DS Action Divers look rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    ... might have to find a dealer to try one on :)
    By far the best way forward

I have a PH200M, and I really love it

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I have a PH200M, and I really love it
    I like them. My 6.5 inch wrist doesn’t.

A 38 or 39 mm version would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I like them. My 6.5 inch wrist doesn’t.

A 38 or 39 mm version would be nice.
    I have a 7.5" wrist so it fits me well. I think they could've reduced the lug to lug to 50mm without issue, which would help it fit more peoples wrists.

It could easily be scaled down to a 39mm and look just as good

^^^^for my 6.5 inch wrist, my absolute limit is 41mm case and 47mm lug to lug.

Craftsman
    I've had two versions of the PH200 that have been and gone in the mad world of collecting but still have a PH500. All three were excellent value for money and the movement in all of them was within COSC requirements. I miss the black PH200 as shown in a photo earlier and would consider getting again......

Master
    I've a DS Caimano dress that I am very impressed with. I don't usually like 1) Gold, 2) Roman numerals, but this one just spoke to me!

Last edited by apm101; 23rd September 2022 at 09:28.

A gratuitous photo of this delicious vintage Certina DS-2.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    A gratuitous photo of this delicious vintage Certina DS-2.

A faithful reissue of this would be magnificent, especially with that colour. I’ve often looked at the Helson version but never actually paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    A faithful reissue of this would be magnificent, especially with that colour. I’ve often looked at the Helson version but never actually paid for it.
    I bought the Helson as I'd never seen an affordable DS-2. I'm very pleased with it

I bought the Helson as I'd never seen an affordable DS-2. I'm very pleased with it

Yea that is very nice. Do you wear it often?

Yes I've worn it quite a few times since getting it, despite it being quite deep (actually make that very deep) it's comfortable to wear, I just wouldn't be able to have it on if I was wearing a shirt. I had no regrets after buying it.

Craftsman
    Yes I've worn it quite a few times since getting it, despite it being quite deep (actually make that very deep) it's comfortable to wear, I just wouldn't be able to have it on if I was wearing a shirt. I had no regrets after buying it.

That's quite a chunk of metalwork there :D

Thanks for all the input on this - so far there's been almost no negatives which is good :)

Yes it’s a bit thick.
    Thanks for sharing

Master
    Blog Entries

I love the thickness. There's nothing worse than a thin watch IMO

Master
    Just to add to what others have said; yes, Certinas are excellent. I've had a few, including a weird quartz Chrono moon phase, which was also excellent.

Was tempted to pick up one of these today. Was offered it with a little haggling for £556 so 20% which seemed a decent price.

Passed as the bezel pip was ever so slightly misaligned.

For anyone Interested they wear the same as the BB58 and felt very comfortable on the wrist
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 24th September 2022 at 15:08.

^If you still have a hankering for one, look for one of the older models with the ceramic bezel - they appear to be better made in every way, same as with Tissot: I think Swatch Group realised the qualitative differences between Omega and its 'orbiter' brands had become uncomfortably small a few years ago. Now I notice the latest versions have weaker feature sets, like aluminium bezels, poorer lume, less crisp finishing, &c....

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    ^If you still have a hankering for one, look for one of the older models with the ceramic bezel - they appear to be better made in every way, same as with Tissot: I think Swatch Group realised the qualitative differences between Omega and its 'orbiter' brands had become uncomfortably small a few years ago. Now I notice the latest versions have weaker feature sets, like aluminium bezels, poorer lume, less crisp finishing, &c....
    Thanks, I may be wrong but I do not believe they do the 38mm version with a ceramic bezel?

In terms of quality it did not feel any different to a Tudor or similar. The bezel action, crown winding all felt top notch and way above its price point plus ISO rated to 300m so a genuine divers watch.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 24th September 2022 at 18:18.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Thanks, I may be wrong but I do not believe they do the 38mm version with a ceramic bezel? ...
    I honestly don't know. Their model churn is pretty rapid, so they may have done. The 41mm (I think) that I had wore very small - a very easy-wearing watch all told. Only sold it on because I was overspent and had become a bit overprotective of it - it was so flawless I didn't want to be the one to spoil it! Insane...