closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 53

Thread: First Big Bike Suggestions

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,450

    First Big Bike Suggestions

    So Iíve just completed my last CBT (third one) booked the theory and paid to do the DAS.

    I have followed Tony's thread on his motorbike journey and have been looking at what bike I should buy once I pass and sell my CB125R

    I should be able to get 2.5k for my current bike.

    What Iím thinking is, its easy to look at finance options for a new triumph etc BUT should I just get something older, just to enjoy and if it got the occasional scrape/scratch its not that big of a deal and something to practice on. I did my last CBT on a old beaten up YBR and it was great fun. Iíve realised maybe I donít need a digital dash, clock, gear shift indicator etc

    I get bored easy and can see myself going through several bikes so doesnt make much sense buying new if I did decide to flip. What would be a kind, older and affordable bike, one that isnít a giant of a machine either, any suggestions please or just get something new, like a 650R / Trident ?

  2. #2
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,481
    I'd go for a Bandit or a Hornet, something like that. Get 12-18 months out of the way and then look at something like a Triumph.

    I went from a 650 bandit (couldn't afford a Hornet) to a 1200 GS then three 1200 GSAs and I'm very happy I dropped and scuffed the bandit, not something nicer.

  3. #3
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    6,214
    Was there not a Honda CBR on here in the last week or so ? That of any interest ?
    I'm not a biker but it looked the part and seemed fair money...

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    norf lincs
    Posts
    124
    Bandit 650 or fazer 600 thank me later :)

  5. #5
    I'd seriously think about a new one, if you don't mind the finance. All the gizmo's and safety features, very little maintenance, no breaking down, warranty etc and if you pick a manufacturer you think can offer more in the future, they will normally work with you to change up etc. Good deals at the end of summer and plenty about at £100 a month.

  6. #6
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,487
    Everyone will tell you that you will drop it so get something 5-10 years old with crash bungs/bars (and not too much plastic fairing etc) that you won't feel too bad about picking up of the road, car park, petrol station (diesel deathtrap!) with a couple of extra scrapes on it. I bought new and haven't dropped it.

    Everyone will tell you that you don't actually don't know what you want so get something that's already depreciated so you won't lose too much money when you inevitably sell it on. I knew what I wanted (Caballero 500 Scrambler), bought it and haven't regretted it.

    Having said that I do think those pieces of advice that I ignored are very good advice.

    Also, bear in mind like watches where technically you don't need more than one, that doesn't mean you'll only have one. While my bike is great for what I bought it for (blatting round local lanes for an hour or so) I want to get something for longer, overnight/multi-day touring.

  7. #7
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    So Iíve just completed my last CBT (third one) booked the theory and paid to do the DAS.

    I have followed Tony's thread on his motorbike journey and have been looking at what bike I should buy once I pass and sell my CB125R

    I should be able to get 2.5k for my current bike.

    What Iím thinking is, its easy to look at finance options for a new triumph etc BUT should I just get something older, just to enjoy and if it got the occasional scrape/scratch its not that big of a deal and something to practice on. I did my last CBT on a old beaten up YBR and it was great fun. Iíve realised maybe I donít need a digital dash, clock, gear shift indicator etc

    I get bored easy and can see myself going through several bikes so doesnt make much sense buying new if I did decide to flip. What would be a kind, older and affordable bike, one that isnít a giant of a machine either, any suggestions please or just get something new, like a 650R / Trident ?
    If you get bored easy it doesn't make much sense getting hit by the depreciation every time you decide to change, although some seem to manage that well here, possibly because they use the same dealer. What was a well sorted bike 2 or 3 years ago remains a well sorted bike today.
    And that is before considering the fact you are a new rider, and that your CBT is nothing else than an authorisation to learn to ride on the road with a powerful bike. I believe it is O. Wilde who wrote that "experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes"...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  8. #8
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,471
    Check carefully what each bike on your eventual shortlist - costs in insurance premiums.

    Also - be careful of mid-policy changes to another bike.

  9. #9
    Master OldHooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,114
    Another vote for the Hornet. Easy to ride, forgiving, bullet proof and fun.

    Kawasaki Z650
    Triumph Trident
    Husqvarana Svartpilen 701

    All are naked bikes, which would give you a better feel for and learning curve of a bike than a faired sports bike.

    Failing that, you cannot really fail with the CBR 650. Does everything well.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,286
    Really something you like the look of- get some test rides on something thatís pleasing to the eye(to you)
    Everyone has their Ďlookí fir me itís a Ďoff roadí or naked look- wouldnít entertain a cruiser if it was rated as the best most comfortable bike on the road

  11. #11
    just buy something you like the look of and feel comfortable riding , nakeds are prob better for scooting around and seating position and for weekend blasts , it doesnt matter about your age - i reg see 60+ yr olds on fireblades and hyabusas.

    bikes dont loose anywhere near as much money as cars on the second hand market so swapping around is not so painful.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,939
    Middleweight 600 all-rounder would be ideal, as has been suggested: Fazer, Hornet, Bandit, or SV650 if you fancy a twin.

    Fazer was my bike of choice back in the day. Super-capable, do anything you want.

  13. #13
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,481
    Fazer is a great suggestion too. I had the bandit, one friend had a hornet and another had a Fazer. Only thing which put me off the Fazer was the double exhaust - I was too cheap to want to pay for two of them!

  14. #14
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    As mentioned above, buy a that you like the look of.

    Youre more likely to keep a bike you buy with your heart rather than head.

    Iíve had an XJR1300 for a couple of years and I really like it, itís only issue is that itís not a Kawasaki!

  15. #15
    My suggestion is buy the bike you really want. I went to a 600cbr after 125 and very quickly went to Fireblade, taking a bath on the 600. These big bikes are a doddle to ride, especially the Fireblade and are only as fast as your wrist. In some ways they are smoother at slow speeds than the 600ís. Like I say, get the bike you lust.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    My suggestion is buy the bike you really want. I went to a 600cbr after 125 and very quickly went to Fireblade, taking a bath on the 600. These big bikes are a doddle to ride, especially the Fireblade and are only as fast as your wrist. In some ways they are smoother at slow speeds than the 600ís. Like I say, get the bike you lust.
    Trouble being is I lust after almost every bike I see!

    Thanks to the suggestions though everyone, I think I know which bike I may just get.

  17. #17
    Plenty of good suggestions so far. I'll add (unless I missed it) the Street Triple.

    My first bike (over 20 years ago) was a Fazer FWIW & it was great.
    Andy

    Wanted - Damasko DA38 or DC80 Green - not the black versions.

  18. #18
    Best choice for a first bike as suggested above is something naked & droppable. You only really start to learn once you're out there on your own. Situations such as parking on a gradient, low speed manouvering, wheeling the bike in/out of garage etc are very good at catching out a new rider. I would also recommend against something with frantic power delivery.

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    247
    And when you park in a public place take up two bays.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #20
    You should buy my Kawasaki Z650 RSÖ
    Cracking bike and wonít get you into any troubleÖ



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    You should buy my Kawasaki Z650 RSÖ
    Cracking bike and wonít get you into any troubleÖ



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks absolutely fantastic and ticks all the boxes but will be almost certainly out of my budget unfortunately!

  22. #22
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    34,124
    Keep your eyes peeled for an older 675 Street Triple too. Theyíll be keenly priced by now, Iíd have thought.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    What is your budget? Are you only looking to do end what you get for yours? If so, it will definitely change what gets recommended.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,130
    The current iteration of the Suzuki SV650 was my first proper bike, thoroughly recommend.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    3,279
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    So I’ve just completed my last CBT (third one) booked the theory and paid to do the DAS.

    I have followed Tony's thread on his motorbike journey and have been looking at what bike I should buy once I pass and sell my CB125R

    I should be able to get 2.5k for my current bike.

    What I’m thinking is, its easy to look at finance options for a new triumph etc BUT should I just get something older, just to enjoy and if it got the occasional scrape/scratch its not that big of a deal and something to practice on. I did my last CBT on a old beaten up YBR and it was great fun. I’ve realised maybe I don’t need a digital dash, clock, gear shift indicator etc

    I get bored easy and can see myself going through several bikes so doesnt make much sense buying new if I did decide to flip. What would be a kind, older and affordable bike, one that isn’t a giant of a machine either, any suggestions please or just get something new, like a 650R / Trident ?
    I have a mk2 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200S K3 model in blue with only 5670 miles and 11months MOT.

    It’s exceptionally clean and runs as well as it looks. Could be tempted to sell for £2750 or so if you’re interested?

    Few pics here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/38fixjwjs...h2GEsE2Ua?dl=0

    Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 22nd September 2022 at 21:23.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht, Nederland
    Posts
    2,183
    You shoudnít worry about dropping the bike in first place in my opinion.

    Just buy something you like. Except for those 1 liter sport bikes. Better choose a 600.

    My first bike was a cbr400rr. Dropped once or twice, but fairing is very cheap on ebay. No mind dropping a bike so you donít worry make scratches on it.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Matlock, Derbyshire
    Posts
    856
    Draw up a short list of what youíre looking for, test ride as many as possible. What people tell you might be a good choice you may really dislike.

    Even if you decide to get something up to ten years old there will be dealers that will have bikes for sale. Try to test ride before you commit.

    There are no really bad bikes out there in the past ten years+, potentially there are bad examples of them so try to avoid these by taking a knowledgeable friend along.

    Try to ride single cylinder, twin cylinder, triples and fours. They all have different characteristics and only you can decide what you prefer. Ultimately buy what you like and not what someone says you should like. Good luck!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,857
    All good advice, mostly. Shiny bike syndrome is always a danger or heart over head if you like. As with most things try and buy something that is popular and easy to sell on if you should change your mind. As mentioned a few times, a Honda CBR600 with history and reasonable mileage are a great first big bike on every level, fast, economical, cheapish to insure and easy to fix if you should drop it. A natural precusor to my favourite bike, a Blade, should you eventually feel the need for more speed.
    Hornet is basically a naked CBR, another good choice.
    No one has mentioned going the 'dirt bike' route. Suzuki DRZ 400S in Supermoto or off-road guise is a good choice, also Aprilia Pegaso or BMW F650.
    However this could eventually lead to one of the ubiquitous big BMW GS tourers and then all your money's gone lol.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,286
    I ‘returned’ to 2 (motorised) wheels with a G650GS just over a year ago- great eBay purchase with 10k on the clock
    Rode it for 6 months and loved being back on The bike - nothing particularly wrong with it but ivv be wanted something newer
    I sold it privately making £500 and bought a 700 Tenere - new
    Not for everyone (it’s big) but the engine is super sweet, not too many toys to go wrong and I paid £8.6k new otr
    T7 by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 23rd September 2022 at 07:18.

  30. #30
    Master Lammylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,747
    Triumph Bonneville is a great bike, enough power for real world use, relaxed low revving twin with plenty of torque, comfortable riding position with ability to tour and fantastic classic looks.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    941
    My first bike was a new ZXR 400 which I have great memories of. Since then Iíve had a few Ducatis, currently have a 749. Also owned a CBR600rr and a KTM 640 LC. In my experience the KTM would be most suitable for a first bike, with something else joining it when you get Ďboredí. IMO youíll inevitability end up with more than 1 bike so donít put all your eggs in one basket first time around.

  32. #32
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    My first bike was a new ZXR 400 which I have great memories of. Since then Iíve had a few Ducatis, currently have a 749. Also owned a CBR600rr and a KTM 640 LC. In my experience the KTM would be most suitable for a first bike, with something else joining it when you get Ďboredí. IMO youíll inevitability end up with more than 1 bike so donít put all your eggs in one basket first time around.
    I had a KTM640SM and really didnít get in with it. I bought it new and did less than 1000 miles on it.

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    646
    My first bike


    When I finally did my test I got a 550 Zephyr, used to be the 600 Hornet, Fazer, Bandit or SV650 all made great starter bikes so as people have said stuff like these but I always really liked the Hornet out of that lot

  34. #34
    Personally I'd suggest getting something a bit older that can do most things with enough power to keep you happy and at a good enough price so that you don't take a bath when you move it on for that 'perfect' (lol) bike.
    As has been mentioned before its the other hazards that will surround you every day rather than your lack of experience that will be the problem. Obviously experience helps but you only need to look at some of the incidents in the 'More bike related stuff' thread to realise everyone is out to kill you.

    That said, my choice would be the incredibly versatile ZX9R E2. Plenty of very controllable power. You can tour on it, track it, scrape those knee sliders with ease and it looks bloody lovely! It can also be had for ridiculous money for what it is.

    Net pic but I had one for years just like this.....

    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Personally I'd suggest getting something a bit older that can do most things with enough power to keep you happy and at a good enough price so that you don't take a bath when you move it on for that 'perfect' (lol) bike.
    As has been mentioned before its the other hazards that will surround you every day rather than your lack of experience that will be the problem. Obviously experience helps but you only need to look at some of the incidents in the 'More bike related stuff' thread to realise everyone is out to kill you.

    That said, my choice would be the incredibly versatile ZX9R E2. Plenty of very controllable power. You can tour on it, track it, scrape those knee sliders with ease and it looks bloody lovely! It can also be had for ridiculous money for what it is.

    Net pic but I had one for years just like this.....

    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I had a ZX9R C1 when they first came out in 1998. I really wouldnít consider it a first big bike, it was a top of the heap Superbike back in the day. If it hadnít been for the first R1 being released the same year, it would be considered a classic in the same vein as the GPz1100, GPZ900R or fire blade.

  36. #36
    The wrist goes both ways Dave! Lol!
    People are doing their (DAS anyway) training on big bikes these days. I've never ridden a C1 so can't comment but the later E2 was more of a sports tourer/all-rounder (in my opinion)as the superbike class had moved on.
    Maybe a ZX6R might be a better choice for a noob but at similar and cheap prices I'd still say the 9 was a better buy and you won't get bored with it.
    I learned on a CG125 and my first big bike was a GPZ500s. An absolute rocketship by comparison but considered a girls bike these days.

  37. #37
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225

    First Big Bike Suggestions

    Youíre right, it does indeed. Things had moved on by 2001/2 and it was considered a sports tourer by then but it was no less of a bike.

    My C1 was the best bike I ever toured on and also made a good track bike (although I preferred my ZX6R with less weight and power).

    They are still a 175mph+ bike though and really not ideal for a beginner, especially considering they are pre abs, traction control etc.

    To put it another way, would you want your wife/son/daughter riding one immediately after passing their test?

  38. #38
    I've not been over 150mph in a long time. I just don't need to. I'm not sure a bikes top speed is that relevant. Just how useful it is from day to day. In my mind the ZX9R ticks all the boxes.
    I have no idea about the statistics but I imagine more accidents happen at much lower speeds.
    I'm assuming the OP is reasonably sensible as he asked a sensible question.
    He'll probably go for a naked anyway....
    Enjoy this thread and discussing bikes with bikers.
    Thanks Dave

    Ray

  39. #39
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    The ZX9R is more than enough bike for (probably) any of us on here. I loved mine and would have another in a heartbeat if it suited my needs or if my garage was twice the size and my wife never went in there!

    I still donít think itís suitable for a novice though but weíll have to agree to disagree on that one.

    Iíve not been at those speeds for some time either, thatís why I bought the XJR1300!

    Iíve also just picked up an R3; Iím quite looking forward to thrashing the life out of it.

  40. #40
    Now the XJR1300 is a bike I'd love to try. The ultimate muscle bike in my opinion. Yellow speedblock would be my choice. I could put it in the front room and just look at it (but not sure the Mrs would be pleased).

  41. #41
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,225
    Well if youíre ever down my way, youíre welcome to take it for a spin. Mineís blue though so youíll just have to close your eyes!


  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,286
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Now the XJR1300 is a bike I'd love to try. The ultimate muscle bike in my opinion. Yellow speedblock would be my choice. I could put it in the front room and just look at it (but not sure the Mrs would be pleased).
    Loved mine - put 30k on it commuting

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The ZX9R is more than enough bike for (probably) any of us on here. I loved mine and would have another in a heartbeat if it suited my needs.

    I’ve also just picked up an R3; I’m quite looking forward to thrashing the life out of it.
    Im enjoying riding my Ktm Duke 390. There something to be said in taking a bike into its redline in each gear and still be doing double figures. Enjoy the R3

  44. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London and SW
    Posts
    210
    A long time ago (25 years or so) I went from a Honda H100/CBT to a Ducati Monster 750.

    Not my best moveÖ the engine braking of the twin was almost too much for my novice ability. In a fit of genius (!) I then swiftly traded to a Suzuki GSXR750 which was much easier to ride.

    Several GSXRs gave way to a Fazer which only lasted 4-months before buying a brand new GSXRÖ

    As others have said - buy with your soul but if at all possible give the choice a decent (2 or 3 hours) of test ride.

    Enjoy whatever you choose.

  45. #45
    Master OldHooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,114
    Iíd agree, the ZX9 is a bike youíd probably not tyre of, butÖ.. the acceleration and wind diffusion, compared to the nakeds mentioned is more likely to get you into difficulties. All bikes can of course, but a superbike more so.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I've not been over 150mph in a long time. I just don't need to. I'm not sure a bikes top speed is that relevant. Just how useful it is from day to day. In my mind the ZX9R ticks all the boxes.
    I have no idea about the statistics but I imagine more accidents happen at much lower speeds.
    I'm assuming the OP is reasonably sensible as he asked a sensible question.
    He'll probably go for a naked anyway....
    Enjoy this thread and discussing bikes with bikers.
    Thanks Dave

    Ray
    I enjoy reading all the banter about bike choices. I know mine are a bit left field because I am content using the bike as an ejoyable, stress free, means of transport rather than as an adrenaline rush toy. I did down through France and Spain, right along the n african coast and back through Greece on a Morini 350. That same bike did the 4 points challenge (Dunnet Head to Ardnamurchen Point, to Ness Point, to The Lizard) in under 24 hours.... but these days you need a 1000cc to go to Starbucks! Highly amusing.

    My r100Cs has increased by 100% in the last 2 years. My R80GS has done 400% value increase in the last 5 years.... I still ride them regularly and they continue to increase in value. The bike I enjoy the most is the smallest, the X Country is a 650 single and it is more than capable of nipping down to the South Coast and back the same day, or touring The Lakes for a few days fishing and photography.





    With regard to the number of accidents at slower speeds, by that reckoning if everyone were made to go over 150mph 95% of crashes would be averted.....
    Last edited by Kairos; 24th September 2022 at 11:32.

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    The current iteration of the Suzuki SV650 was my first proper bike, thoroughly recommend.
    An SV650 would be high on my list too. I picked one up for about £2k and spent another £500 replacing the shot suspension with nicer bits. The result had great handling, tons of grunt, and was just as much fun as the bikes it replaced, an R6 and an RS250, both of which were stolen . It was more useful than the R6 in town, in fact. The R6 was my direct access bike, and probably not the smartest choice. The first year was unnerving, the second year I got the hang of it, but Iím not recommending this!

  48. #48
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser3 J View Post
    A long time ago (25 years or so) I went from a Honda H100/CBT to a Ducati Monster 750.

    Not my best move… the engine braking of the twin was almost too much for my novice ability. In a fit of genius (!) I then swiftly traded to a Suzuki GSXR750 which was much easier to ride.

    Several GSXRs gave way to a Fazer which only lasted 4-months before buying a brand new GSXR…

    As others have said - buy with your soul but if at all possible give the choice a decent (2 or 3 hours) of test ride.

    Enjoy whatever you choose.

    I'm newer to the bike scene, but after completing the DAS - I did consider each of the following:

    Triumph Daytona 955
    Triumph Sprint RS
    Honda SP2 (WTF was I thinking!!!)
    Kawasaki Z750 (can't remember exact model)

    In the end - I bought a BMW R1100s Boxercup Replika, which was a pretty good first bike (100bhp) which handled touring very well. The only downside was that as a big twin - I had to deal with possible rear wheel lock up on downshifting in wet conditions. That took a bit of practice.

    For the OP:

    I think I'd recommend a bike that 'satisfies' without 'intimidating'.

    I think a Suzuki SV650 would quickly feel limiting, but in the same size - a Honda CBR600F would not. (new female riders seem to like the SV650/Gladius for the weight/height/non-intimidating attributes).

    I'd avoid full supersport bikes due to the body position and insurance

    If you think a 600 is not enough - the Kawasaki Z750 might fit the bill?

    If you feel you'd like to travel/tour within the first year - get something sports/touring (VFR800/R1200r/R1200rs/Yamaha Tracer etc)

    Do lots of insurance comparisons as that might cool your jets a bit too.

    It's a journey, but if you get it right (for you, not for me) - it doesn't have to be an expensive journey !!!

  49. #49
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London and SW
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

    In the end - I bought a BMW R1100s Boxercup Replika, which was a pretty good first bike (100bhp) which handled touring very well. The only downside was that as a big twin - I had to deal with possible rear wheel lock up on downshifting in wet conditions. That took a bit of practice.

    For the OP:

    I think I'd recommend a bike that 'satisfies' without 'intimidating'.

    I think a Suzuki SV650 would quickly feel limiting, but in the same size - a Honda CBR600F would not. (new female riders seem to like the SV650/Gladius for the weight/height/non-intimidating attributes).

    I'd avoid full supersport bikes due to the body position and insurance

    If you think a 600 is not enough - the Kawasaki Z750 might fit the bill?

    If you feel you'd like to travel/tour within the first year - get something sports/touring (VFR800/R1200r/R1200rs/Yamaha Tracer etc)

    Do lots of insurance comparisons as that might cool your jets a bit too.

    It's a journey, but if you get it right (for you, not for me) - it doesn't have to be an expensive journey !!!
    Great advice. Iím not a huge fan of the SV650 (my other half had one) but each to their own.

    Iím currently riding a Royal Enfield Himalayan (all 24bhp !). I commute 180-miles (each way) on that a couple of times a week. I am considering moving back up the power spectrum so Iím also reading the suggestions with interest.

  50. #50
    Craftsman Richie_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK.
    Posts
    850
    If a 600 Hornet appeals to you then you might also want to consider its bigger brother, the 900. With a de-tuned Fireblade engine (including fuel injection rather than the carbs on the 600) it has power all through the rev range, and 108bhp is plenty for a naked.

    It was panned by the media when released as everyone was just expecting a Fireblade without a fairing, and it never really recovered from that, but it's a hidden gem if you like older bikes (in my opinion anyway. )

    Decent looking example here, though I'm not sure if the price is fair as I don't follow the market.

    Rich.
    Last edited by Richie_101; 25th September 2022 at 12:25.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information