closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone screens bright weather readability.

iPhone screens bright weather readability.

Genuine question, why can't Apple produce the iphone with a screen you can read in bright daylight ?

I have 40 + year old Seiko digitals I can read in any light.

Master
    Is it just different technology?

Mind you, I bought a lovely little Canon EOS-M a few years ago. No viewfinder; just a screen. I found it unusable outside and sold it.

Can’t say I have a major issue with my iPhone but then I don’t live somewhere where the sun often shines!

My Samsung is the same and the Samsing before that, the Huawei before that, the Sony before that one... Never owned an IPhone though.

Craftsman
    Apple are working on anapp that dims the sunCheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Genuine question, why can't Apple produce the iphone with a screen you can read in bright daylight ?

I have 40 + year old Seiko digitals I can read in any light.
    The iPhone 14 Pro can reach 2000 nits peak brightness in sunshine. This is the brightest any phone (currently being sold) can get.

Master
    Apple do, and have done for many years. Easily read in direct sunlight without issue. Mine is so bright I often find myself reducing the brightness.

What iPhone do you have?

Your Seiko LCD is not backlit so can't be compared at all - it's a different type of display that doesn't render 16 billion colours and refresh each pixel at 120Hz. Try reading that in pitch black and then compare it to an iPhone.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 20th September 2022 at 18:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Apple do, and have done for many years. Easily read in direct sunlight without issue. Mine is so bright I often find myself reducing the brightness.

What iPhone do you have?

Your Seiko LCD is not backlit so can't be compared at all - it's a different type of display that doesn't render 16 billion colours and refresh each pixel at 120Hz. Try reading that in pitch black and then compare it to an iPhone.
    What he said.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My iPhone 13 seems pretty good, it automatically dims/brightens according to ambient light. LCD and a phone display are very different. I must admit that polarising sunglasses can make it hard to see the screen well.

Craftsman
    I’m sure my 12 Pro adjusts brightness automatically as I seldom have an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd question. Apple produce the brightest phone screen on the market.

Master
    I have zero trouble reading an iphone screen in bright sunlight.

Had 3, 4 ,7pro , 11pro max , 13pro max , 14 pro max

All with the exception of the last one I’ve used in really bright environments like snow scapes and high altitude deserts . No issues with seeing the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Odd question. Apple produce the brightest phone screen on the market.
    Not at all to me as I don't just struggle I find it impossible to see the screen in bright sunshine

Are you also wearing polarised sunglasses at the same time?

No different to any other phone TBF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Are you also wearing polarised sunglasses at the same time?
    Normal light reactive lens glasses when I look with polarised sunglasses it is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No different to any other phone TBF.
    Fair enough but I have used an iphone for many years (iphone 3) so I don't know what others are like.

IPhone 15 will definitely have a screen brighter than the sun. Unfortunately the battery will only last a nanosecond.

Not at all to me as I don't just struggle I find it impossible to see the screen in bright sunshine
    The odd part was singling out Apple, given they are market leading for screen brightness.

But as for the general point, I guess it depends what phone you're using (newer = better screens), how you're using it (i.e. battery health and is screen brightness cranked up), and ultimately of course your own eyesight will play a factor.

Obviously any sunglasses don’t help of course. My photochromic lenses often darken unnoticed even when overcast or in the shade and they’re best taken off to see screen.

Put on polarised sunglasses, then look at your lcd watch. Now turn the watch and the digits will disappear. Same with the dashboard of my car - in fact both our cars. The solution is I don’t bother with polarised glasses any more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Normal light reactive lens glasses when I look with polarised sunglasses it is even worse.
    So you can’t see the screen wearing sunglasses. I think you’ve found the issue. I can’t either.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The odd part was singling out Apple, given they are market leading for screen brightness.

But as for the general point, I guess it depends what phone you're using (newer = better screens), how you're using it (i.e. battery health and is screen brightness cranked up), and ultimately of course your own eyesight will play a factor.
    I couldent talk about any other makes as I havent used any other makes for many years.

Blog Entries
    I have no issues reading my iPhone 12 Pro max in 32C sunlight.

Only problem is the screen dims dramatically when the phone gets hot (almost dark) - self preservation mode to save the battery when the phone gets hot.

OP: was your iPhone hot to the touch because it’s been in the sun for a while?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th September 2022 at 20:57.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG