closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Iconic Hands

Journeyman

Iconic Hands

I wanted to open up a discussion on hands.
    There are hands which define a watch brand, Tudor (snowflake), Rolex (Mercedes), Oris (cathedral). Is it time for Timefactors or Smiths to create an iconic hand set? If so what would it look like?Image1663618446.424075.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Iconic Hands

This is my first thought……

Journeyman
    IMG_1399.JPG

Grand Master
    Flawed logic, how can you claim that Rolex is defined by mercedes hands? The majority of Rolex models use straight stick hands!

Why would Eddie want to use a set of hands already associated with Omega?
    To be honest there is no one brand that focuses on one set of hands unless you look at smaller micro brands. (Zelos is the only one that springs to mind) Limiting the design of the hand set limits the design of the watch - where design constraints are already tight, why limit yourself even more?
    I think Timefactors gets it right, a large chunk of the watches are homage so need to look like the watches they are inspired by.

Journeyman
    Image1663668589.806346.jpg

Journeyman

Iconic Hands

I agree re flexibility of using a variety of hands especially on homage watches. But, I still think there is something in creating a TF hand set. It shows an individuality/brand distinctiveness and this is inspired by the broad arrow recognising TFs British military inspiration.

Last edited by Crowsfoot; 20th September 2022 at 12:23.

Journeyman
    Image1663669581.388568.jpg

Journeyman
    Image1663670068.361731.jpg

Developing a good looking but unique hand set is going to be a struggle in this day and age, all good looking design variations have been done in some way shape or form. A hand set should also reflect the use of the watch, no point putting an overly complex hand set when clarity is needed. Likewise no point putting large lumed hands on a dress watch.
    Companies that have tried to be different (Zelos as example again) tend to be over fussy and look a bit… cr@p.

Have to agree with others here - to my eye Eddie's business has thrived on reviving unobtainium designs (and the occasional innovative one), and bringing them into the C21st with qualitative improvements and technical or design tweaks, aided by a very good eye for detail, all at a high-value prices.

If he ever wanted to scratch-build a brand with a unique and singular identity, such that a unique handset would have relevance, well the time for that has passed - he has his groove.

Not to p*ss on your parade @Crowsfoot, but you clearly have some creative drive, perhaps you should consider getting some kind of Kickstarter project going?

Master
    I went to school with a lass called Tracey Hands. She landed a job in Woolworths. There was nothing iconic about her.

I am obviously thinking about this far too much…
    But Eddie developed a rather unique handset for the PRS39 that could have been used as a basis for the OPs idea. (I quite like them)
    However it apparently did not sell very well - at least they are not often seen on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Let’s bomb R…

Journeyman

Iconic Hands

Thanks for the interesting and considered contributions chaps and the big hands, brilliant. I am coming around to your points about the flexibility of using different handsets according to the watch style. I also get the point about Eddies business model and making unobtainable models available with high quality as well as some more unique models. There is a threat that the San Martins of this world taking a nibble out of TFs homage watch business stream (although some SM watches are poorly executed they are getting better). Businesses in the UK that seem to be doing well are those with a brand and USP as well as a reputation for quality. I think there is something in the TF Smiths/Precista military background that could be leveraged like Vertex, although Vertex are v expensive.

Last edited by Crowsfoot; 23rd September 2022 at 16:09.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am obviously thinking about this far too much…
    But Eddie developed a rather unique handset for the PRS39 that could have been used as a basis for the OPs idea. (I quite like them)
    However it apparently did not sell very well - at least they are not often seen on here.
    Image1663946081.328412.jpg