closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fundraiser flagging

Fundraiser flagging

The fundraiser has received almost £13,000 in the past year yet previously it has averaged around £20,000 a year. Sales Corner seems as active as ever so why is the fundraiser flagging?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Probably because the known dealers are not being dealt with accordingly?

Most are 'good guys' and folk don't want to upset them.

Should they be reported using the report post function? Would you be keen to know the dealer posts, and act on them?

I’m not too sure everything on sc is selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fundraiser flagging

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Probably because the known dealers are not being dealt with accordingly?

Most are 'good guys' and folk don't want to upset them.

Should they be reported using the report post function? Would you be keen to know the dealer posts, and act on them?
    Buying Pateks with their profits.

Blog Entries
    For non-UK residents, the SC has become less attractive since Feb 1, 2020. (Avoiding politics here, not wanting to break this subforum's rules!). For me personally, it makes a huge difference. I think that it's one of the reasons why we're shy of 7k.

And... (correct me when I'm wrong), I think that we used to have more spontaneous for sale ads with: 'For sale XX, money goes to the Fundraiser.'

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

That is my impression too…particularly the more expensive (but still desirable) items; I assume people are tightening their belts and finding it harder to justify large outlays on luxuries.

Master
    The H&V posts are still very buoyant so things must still be moving somewhere on the forum.

Seems an obvious reflection of the wider economy. SC appears to be as slow as I’ve ever seen it. Rolex going unsold for example isn’t something we’ve seen for a few years. Maybe look upon it as £13k is fantastic in today’s economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Buying Pateks with their profits.
    Indeed. Multiple.

Master

Fundraiser flagging

Sign of the times,not everybody is at home buying stuff from furlough money and boredom. Many watches have been recirculated and kept on the forum. For example one of the MM300 has sold 3 times in the last year and one of the LX Prospex maybe 4 times. I think it’ll get tighter and tighter and we will see used modern subs at rrp within the next year . That would be nice :)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 25th October 2022 at 13:11.

Craftsman
    As someone who still classes myself as a newbie i would add that for me its not overly ' advertised ' what the fundraiser is .

Of course i can see it added to sales posts but i couldn't really tell you what it has raised or perhaps more importantly where it goes to.
    Now im sure if i dig around i will learn more but perhaps that is the point ?
    Perhaps it should be a little more ' headline ' so its easier to see what it has done in the past. present and future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    As someone who still classes myself as a newbie i would add that for me its not overly ' advertised ' what the fundraiser is .

Of course i can see it added to sales posts but i couldn't really tell you what it has raised or perhaps more importantly where it goes to.
    Perhaps it should be a little more ' headline ' so its easier to see what it has done in the past. present and future.
    If you are using tapatalk, it doesn’t appear.

If you’re in a browser, it’s at the top of the page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post

https://www.justgiving.com/team/tz-uk

And this, from last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Since 2013, three fundraisers have run and including gift aid, have raised a total of £186,863.04. Many thanks to all who have contributed.

Eddie
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I sell very little to nothing on here however, the SC board is an interesting place. A small donation just tipped up here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    For non-UK residents, the SC has become less attractive since Feb 1, 2020.
    Genuine question - why is that? A donation is just that, no?

He's talking about selling on SC not being attractive and therefore donations as a % of sales will fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

For non-UK residents, the SC has become less attractive since Feb 1, 2020. (Avoiding politics here, not wanting to break this subforum's rules!). For me personally, it makes a huge difference. I think that it's one of the reasons why we're shy of 7k.

And... (correct me when I'm wrong), I think that we used to have more spontaneous for sale ads with: 'For sale XX, money goes to the Fundraiser.'
    Doubt proportion of foreign sellers was ever large, certainly not 7k's worth and Eddie did say SC was as active as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    VAT. For our European neighbours, buying from the UK became potentially 20% more expensive once we left the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    VAT. For our European neighbours, buying from the UK became potentially 20% more expensive once we left the EU.
    Definetely one of the reasons. Even more then 20%. For example, when buying from UK, I must pay 25% VAT on final price (with shipping) + some to post or agent for statement. Anything I can potentially buy is cca 30% more expensive and that is just too much. Probably similar with selling to UK
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 25th October 2022 at 17:40.

Tightwads, plain and simple - who think nothing about using such an excellent free facility and not contributing. I would be interested to know the amount of saved fees by all these non-donating sellers (if anyone is keeping tabs / a spreadsheet log).

I very rarely use SC, but would gladly donate on anything I sold (not just above the 3 per week limit).

Recently sold two Subs on a different forum I pay £12 per year for. Would have preferred to sell here and pay a voluntary amount into the fundraiser. Both are marked as on hold/sold so anyone would easily think they were sold here but sadly not.

The are some clear violations of wholesale dealer posts however where the guys will clearly never pay anything into the fundraiser and it would be better to just revoke SC access.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Recently sold two Subs on a different forum I pay £12 per year for. Would have preferred to sell here and pay a voluntary amount into the fundraiser. Both are marked as on hold/sold so anyone would easily think they were sold here but sadly not.

The are some clear violations of wholesale dealer posts however where the guys will clearly never pay anything into the fundraiser and it would be better to just revoke SC access.
    Same. I sold a few watches recently via the same forum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Same. I sold a few watches recently via the same forum.
    Same again. On that forum I don’t have to put up with people who have no intention of buying the watch trying to derail my thread with stupid questions and comments. Sold my ND sub on there too.

It has become a very tough audience, I have had a trade recently on TZ, but recent sales have all been off forum to either friends, via Facebook, px to a car dealer or to Chase Hatton Watches. Ever since I got torn apart on a very quickly amended SC post and then low balled on the same watch, it just has not been worth while. I was always happy to pay into the FR and have even offered up items for the FR previously, as well as plug and encourage FR contributions. A great shame but not helped by the backstabbing going on in the BP SC thread tearing some decent members apart for no good reason.

the owner has allowed the site to be moderation free , as great as it sounds there are always people that will take advantage of it in some way or other.

* make the donation a sale corner rule and enforce it
    Last edited by pugster; 26th October 2022 at 06:27.

How about suggesting an annual “subscription” voluntary donation? I’d be happy to pay a tenner to charity each year for the pleasure of using the forum (not just SC, which I have barely used)

Journeyman

If you're selling a few watches worth £20K then surely a small donation isn't too much to pay in to the fundraiser whether they sell or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    How about suggesting an annual “subscription” voluntary donation? I’d be happy to pay a tenner to charity each year for the pleasure of using the forum (not just SC, which I have barely used)
    The problem would be you'd risk killing off new membership. Pay to access Sales Corner on the other hand, I could see that working.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    If you're selling a few watches worth £20K then surely a small donation isn't too much to pay in to the fundraiser whether they sell or not?
    That seems a strange position to take. The rules are simple, they don't apply in the scenario you quoted.

Whether the person chooses to donate to charity outside of the rules is totally their own choice, and while charity is always applaudable it seems odd to single out that someone owns something therefore they should donate to a specific fundraiser..?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Whether the person chooses to donate to charity outside of the rules is totally their own choice, and while charity is always applaudable it seems odd to single out that someone owns something therefore they should donate to a specific fundraiser..?
    Understood. I was just pointing out that if you pay £12 to advertise on the other forum whether it sells or not, you could equally do the same here voluntarily. On a £20K sale it's peanuts.

That seems a strange position to take. The rules are simple, they don't apply in the scenario you quoted.

Could consider it a listing fee, not a tax on ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Could consider it a listing fee, not a tax on ownership.
    Which would be totally cool if that was the rule in the future, but it isn't currently. It's not the general notion I'm critiquing, it's just that it was pointed at a specific individual in a scenario where I think it was unfair to do so.

Maybe the true dealers don't want to post anymore and pay the 10% when the stealth dealers are selling, paying nothing and not being pulled up on it.
    I'd be reluctant if I were a dealer.

Eddie - Should we flag stealth dealer threads using the report function?

I've listed a few on SC, but there they languish. Suppose VAT has something to do with it.

Which would be totally cool if that was the rule in the future, but it isn't currently. It's not the general notion I'm critiquing, it's just that it was pointed at a specific individual in a scenario where I think it was unfair to do so.
    Also not currently the rule that the seller should pay if his watches sold here, doesn't stop people commenting on such a scenario.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 27th October 2022 at 15:24.

I pay in from time to time anyway. I'm not going to pay additionally for the privilege of being lowballed.

Master
    I pay in from time to time anyway. I'm not going to pay additionally for the privilege of being lowballed.
    Lowballed, threads getting picked apart by the self appointed , and SC posts getting slagged off in the bitch pit….. makes the £12 a year membership fee on other forums seem like paradise:)

Master

This. It's slow, people are skint.

By "people" I definitely mean me. Been bloody hard this year. I usually have a steady stream of ins and outs, not in 2022 I haven't.

Blog Entries

Totally agree. Both buying and selling.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th October 2022 at 19:24.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Understood. I was just pointing out that if you pay £12 to advertise on the other forum whether it sells or not, you could equally do the same here voluntarily. On a £20K sale it's peanuts.
    The £12 is for a years membership access all areas of a moderated forum. I have also sold via the forum referred to. I recently choose not to renew.

I think that there are a combination of things going on. There's an increased lack of awareness amongst new members due to a shift towards mobile platforms and content blockers being used after the introduction of advertising and charity is hit early on when people feeling the cost of living pinch.

And please don't forget the generosity of the members here who donated over £10.5k to Laura's Fundraiser earlier this year, and the huge amounts raised for Ukraine charities thanks to Eddie letting us use his platform for such causes. I think that combined we must be well north of £30k.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH