closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier Galbee Service

Cartier Galbee Service

My dad has the option to purchase a Quartz Cartier Galbèe, I’ve seen some pics and the thing is scratched to death & also needs a battery.

Any recommendations for this? Or best to send to Cartier? Prices roughly?

Steel 29mm version from what I can tell.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Be very wary of a watch that ‘needs a battery’, how does he know that the movement isn’t faulty, it’s an optimistic assumption that putting a new battery in will make it run! Is the watch definitely genuine?

Battered and scratched, needs a battery, why buy it?..........I wouldn’t!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Be very wary of a watch that ‘needs a battery’, how does he know that the movement isn’t faulty, it’s an optimistic assumption that putting a new battery in will make it run! Is the watch definitely genuine?

Battered and scratched, needs a battery, why buy it?..........I wouldn’t!
    Financial troubles apparently. As for father -always looking for a deal!

Scratches for me looks well worn, but I know most Cartiers suffer from this.

No idea regarding the movement/ battery issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Surely, being Cartier, if it does need work (and sounds probable), it will be disproportionately expensive?

I'd run a mile...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A new battery and seals is £40 at Cartier, always thought this was reasonable for a high end brand.

A full service starts from £330 which includes refinishing.

https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/servic...just-or-repair
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    A scratched and battered example can be improved by refinishing but there’s every likelihood that it can’t be brought back to good condition again, I think people fail to realise this. If a watch us scratched and battered there’s a good chance that the bracelet us worn too. Buying a cheap scruffy non- running watch is an act of folly for most people and they learn the hard way.

Assessing whether a watch can be successfully refinished isn’t straightforward, it depends hiw heavily it us marked and where the marks are.

From what the OP has posted I think this is best avoided, if he wants a nice example go out and buy a nice example and be prepared to pay accordingly, buying cheap and playing catch- up rarely ends well.

Update this morning, my old man bought it for £750, has been quoted £200 from his local watchmaker to polish and fit a new battery. No box or papers but does have Cartier letter of authenticity I'm told.

When I get a chance I'll post some pictures of the condition now.

Guess overall outlay below £1k isn't too bad, providing the above brings it back looking good (& running I might add)

I'd be very nervous about a polish from a local jeweller unless I had already seen their work. If they get it wrong and soften all of the edges it will be difficult to get it back to anything decent.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd be very nervous about a polish from a local jeweller unless I had already seen their work. If they get it wrong and soften all of the edges it will be difficult to get it back to anything decent.
    I was just thinking the same thing Alan.

For an extra £130 I would not hesitate to send it back to Cartier for the piece of mind that its been done properly and would have provenance in the form of Cartier guarantee of work.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Send it to Cartier, get a quote, and take it from there. You will be in a better informed position to decide your next step.

Update, received some pictures from my dad regarding the watch, received back from the guy he uses (went to Hatton Gardens apparently). Polished and battery change only thing they didn't do was chrome polish the screws. He's mentioned his friend now owns it and all in all owed him £1k, inc purchase.

For what it's worth I would've sent it to Cartier and have it done by them. Think their cost was a bit higher but not much. Shame my dad passed it on, as I had a cheeky inkling it was coming to me! Oh well.

Omega was also polished and previously bought got £650.

Picture before service

Last edited by McBeardy; 2nd November 2022 at 15:43.

Hmmm. I think I would have sent it to Cartier. There seem to be versions of this with a matching finish to the case & bracelet and others with the opposite. Likewise some with satin versus polished bezels. Mind you, I've seen worse.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Looks like it originally had a matching finish on the watch case and the bracelet - now it’s a brushed watch on a shiny bracelet. As long as the buyer is happy that’s all that matters, but it looked better before the polish imho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Looks like it originally had a matching finish on the watch case and the bracelet - now it’s a brushed watch on a shiny bracelet. As long as the buyer is happy that’s all that matters, but it looked better before the polish imho!

Yes, and what’s happened to the bezel?

I'd still send it to Cartier, even after the service by the independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Hmmm. I think I would have sent it to Cartier. There seem to be versions of this with a matching finish to the case & bracelet and others with the opposite. Likewise some with satin versus polished bezels. Mind you, I've seen worse.
    I personally would've too.

Thanks for confirming different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Now I've studied it a bit more, yes it looks that way, that would bug me! But she seems to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, and what’s happened to the bezel?
    Maybe just the poor camera phone, think the bezel is OK. Although knowing Cartier once breathed on will scratch