closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Private plate question

Blog Entries

Private plate question

I've just sold my car and the guy is picking it up on Monday. Question is I need to change my plate and also change address at the same time is this possible? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

First of all, put the plate on" retention" , on line with the DVLA, which will allocate an age related plate to the car, then the change of address might take a bit longer.

Master
    From memory, you can do it all online but the new V5 for the age related plate will take a few days/week at least to come through the post.

The car will (normally) get its original registration back, mine always do when putting my plate on retention, which costs £80 a pop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    First of all, put the plate on" retention" , on line with the DVLA, which will allocate an age related plate to the car, then the change of address might take a bit longer.
    This...you can't do both at the same time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Highly recommend you don't hand over the car with the plate you want to keep (or its V5).

Make the transaction once you have the age related plate and corresponding V5

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    The car will (normally) get its original registration back, mine always do when putting my plate on retention, which costs £80 a pop.
    It’s this. You do it all on line and once you have the confirmation go and get two plates made and stick them on.

It can all be done in a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As soon as you put your plate on retention and are issued an age related (as said usually the original) number, you can put that plate on the car.
    I always keep the plates that come on the car with that number and just screw them back on, so no cost or trips to the motor factors. If you don't have them IIRC, the notification from DVLA is sufficient for the plates to be made up, if you take appropriate ID with you.
    The advice re putting your plate on retention before parting with the car is sound. If you don't, the number goes with the car and if the new owner decides to keep your number (finds a fault and thinks you were trying to get one over on him/her, or just fancies keeping it) you are stuffed.

Blog Entries

Private plate question

Thanks guys as always. I’ve just put the plate on retention but unfortunately you can’t change the address at the same time. However I do have Royal Mail redirect so not an issue (when it works lol). I can’t get the plates made up today as I have the originals in storage about 3 hours away, so I’ve messaged the dealer who’s buying the car to see if he can bring trade plates.

Looks like it will all work out and at least I’ve put it on retention now. Thanks again

Most buyers wouldn’t want to pick up a car unless the correct V5 was present.

I’m not sure if the dealer you say is picking it up will be happy with the incorrect V5 or not. I’d guess that they will be, but they’ll be having to trust you to forward the new one on to them once it’s posted to you.

I’d certainly call them to ask before they make the journey over to pick the car up. They may prefer to wait until the new V5 has arrived in a week or so.

Blog Entries
    Thanks yeah dealer is happy to pick up without v5. I checked with him before putting on retention.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    Correct - hence if you buy a second-hand car and then put a private plate on it, hang on to the original plates. DVLA are normally quick to process the admin back to the original plate and you will have them when DVLA advises it is OK to put the original number plates back on.

Craftsman
    As a car dealer I would normally agree a figure of £250 to be held back on the total sales price until I receive the new V5. Ive had a number of issues previously as sellers often forget or cant be bothered to send on the V5 once the car has been sold and the money is in the bank and I feel this just a gentle reminder to do so. Never had an issue with this as it means they get the majority of the money instantly rather than having to wait for it.