closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay selling, click-through rate and sales conversion rate

Blog Entries

eBay selling, click-through rate and sales conversion rate

I'm not a professional seller on eBay but I'm curious to know if my click-through rate and sales conversion rate are good, bad or indifferent. I'm selling a few coins on eBay at the moment (the same sort of coins I had up for sale in SC a few weeks ago). The coins are selling satisfactorily but I'm still curious about the relative performance of my sales.

Anyone familiar with selling on eBay want to comment?

My click-through rate is 2.3% and my sales conversion rate is 1.5%.

For anyone who isn't familiar with these terms:-

"Click-through rate" is "the number of page views to your listings divided by the number of impressions."

An "impression" is "When a link to your listing appears on eBay, we count that as an impression. At this point, the buyer is one click away from your listing page."

And "sales conversion rate" is "the number of sales transactions divided by the number of listing page views."

In other words, click-through rate is a measure of how attractive my adverts' descriptions, main pictures, price, P&P, and auction type are amongst people who have effectively pre-qualified themselves by looking at listings that match their interests.

And the sales conversion rate measures how often those who click-through actually buy.

It strikes me that, compared to other sales and marketing routes, eBay seems to be a pretty good tool for (a) finding potentially interested customers and (b) qualifying them as likely and actual buyers.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th September 2022 at 20:09.

Blog Entries
    Another metric I find quite interesting is "impressions by placements". This is a measure of how people came to see my adverts (in a list of other adverts).

Broken down by placement:
    Top 20 search slot impressions: 20.0%
    Rest of search slot impressions: 26.6%
    Non-search impression: 53.4%

"Non-search impressions" are where people saw my advert listed anywhere outside of explicit search results, such as in 'Similar Items' or 'People who viewed this item also viewed'.

As a buyer on eBay, I also suspect that most of my buys come through the non-search impression route.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th September 2022 at 20:08.

I work in an industry where CTR and other conversions are closely monitored however it is hard to say if your campaign is performing better or worse than similar ones as you'd need data of other coin marketing campaigns to work out how yours compares. For example the conversion of click (view) to sale of 1.5% would be high if it was based on Bugatti cars and very low if it was based on an Apple IPhone 14 Pro Max on the Apple store.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I work in an industry where CTR and other conversions are closely monitored however it is hard to say if your campaign is performing better or worse than similar ones as you'd need data of other coin marketing campaigns to work out how yours compares. For example the conversion of click (view) to sale of 1.5% would be high if it was based on Bugatti cars and very low if it was based on an Apple IPhone 14 Pro Max on the Apple store.
    Thanks. Certainly I find the sales very satisfactory: Everything that I am listing is selling and (mostly) at good prices.

Compared to my experience of being involved in selling outside of eBay (various things from industrial PPE to Internet connections and hosting), a 1.5% conversion rate is satisfyingly high. However, for me, this brings home two key points: (1) Properly qualifying leads is important and eBay near-automatically does that, and (2) the previous attempts to sell stuff in which I was involved were not overly successful in bringing in qualified wouldbe customers.

In particular, the hardest thing to my mind (and in my experience) is still the initial marketing, i.e. how to bring potentially interested people to one's business or product/service at all in the first place. eBay is a fantastically powerful too to do that (for products rather than services, at least).