closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 133 of 133

Thread: The Queen's Queue

  1. #101
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    18,715
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    0.37% of the U.K. population.

    Or 1 in ever 270 people.
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.

  2. #102
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.
    If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did? It's not as if there was any moment when they ran out of people and there was no queue, was there?

    I wasn't going to go despite my feelings until my 87 year old MIL asked me to take her. Even taking the disabled route with a wheelchair it was about five hours to get a wristband for twelve hours later and another hour in the second queue. I got her there in the nick of time and the queue closed a few hundred people behind us, so I know that that was forty two thousand because the bands for that were numbered sequentially and mine was 415xx. I was told there that a million or so had gone through, although that does seem a lot.
    Last edited by M4tt; 20th September 2022 at 14:44.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did? It's not as if there was any moment when they ran out of people and there was no queue, was there
    Placed it is the middle of Wembley stadium? A couple of hours to get 100k people in and out and much longer duration to pay respects.

    A few football stadiums around the country would have avoided tens if thousands travelling to London.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

  4. #104
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW UK
    Posts
    444


    Sums up this thread.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 20th September 2022 at 15:38.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Placed it is the middle of Wembley stadium? A couple of hours to get 100k people in and out and much longer duration to pay respects.

    A few football stadiums around the country would have avoided tens if thousands travelling to London.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    You've completely missed the context of the question you're responding to.

  6. #106
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.
    So the only way to measure grief is by counting the number of people that queue for 12+ hours?

    Noted.

    (I certainly wouldn't count myself as grieving, found myself occupied with other things this last week or so, and have no strong opinions on the monarchy either way, but there are many flaws in the logic here)
    Last edited by b-rad; 20th September 2022 at 15:47.

  7. #107
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Placed it is the middle of Wembley stadium? A couple of hours to get 100k people in and out and much longer duration to pay respects.

    A few football stadiums around the country would have avoided tens if thousands travelling to London.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    Why mess around, just sit the coffin on the central reservation barriers at Potters Bar and folks can drive past. Modern pomp and ceremony for those in a hurry? Or perhaps a theme park? Or perhaps, like Bentham we could get in the royal taxidermist and we could rebuild Her, perhaps with a languidly waving animatronic hand.

    Or just maybe you may have missed the point a little - or I’m crap at spotting irony.
    Last edited by M4tt; 20th September 2022 at 16:13.

  8. #108
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,699
    Well I don't think much of the queuing. I have a few friends who went, with their children, and were glad they did so that's good enough for me.

    However yesterday's ceremony was superbly orchestrated, and all the participants (with a few regrettable exceptions, but here is not the place to name them) conducted themselves with dignity and the utmost decorum.
    The settings and the music added to the pomp and the piper's lament at the end was very moving.
    The Beeb was in my opinion bang on cue (sorry!), informative when needed and silent when it was required. A fitting send off.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    So the only way to measure grief is by counting the number of people that queue for 12+ hours?

    Noted.

    (I certainly wouldn't count myself as grieving, found myself occupied with other things this last week or so, and have no strong opinions on the monarchy either way, but there are many flaws in the logic here)
    Even numbers of those queuing isn't a measure grief. I didn't go but if I had would be to see the spectacle, imagine many people feel the same.

  10. #110
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,849
    I was wondering how difficult it would have been to join those lining the route to Windsor? Surely a more interesting view with similar opportunity to bow/genuflect/ show grief or respect and not be in a queue for 10-12 hours?

  11. #111
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Why mess around, just sit the coffin on the central reservation barriers at Potters Bar and folks can drive past. Modern pomp and ceremony for those in a hurry? Or perhaps a theme park? Or perhaps, like Bentham we could get in the royal taxidermist and we could rebuild Her, perhaps with a languidly waving animatronic hand.

    Or just maybe you may have missed the point a little - or Iím crap at spotting irony.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  12. #112
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,273
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...see_the_queen/
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  13. #113
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ahem, Ponce Andrew an actual sweaty nonce Prince of the blood and poor cuckolded Tampon Charlie, recently retired royal bagman ad formerly chummy with Sir Jimmy Savile, so much class, nobility and regal, why it brings tears to ones eyes.

    Might add Harry spilling his guts to the world on Oprah as well...shoulda known better than airing ones dirty laundry in public, I don't claim to know the Queen, never even met her, but I imagine she was mortified being from the generation she was.
    What a load of old rubbish. Andrew is an arrogant idiot but there is no proof of what you are accusing him of.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 20th September 2022 at 17:17.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  14. #114
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,699

    The Queen's Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What a load of old rubbish. Andrew is an arrogant idiot but there is no proof of what you are accusing him of.
    Thatís sounds very much like you require the level of proof needed to prove a husband adulterous in the old days.
    $12,000,000 given to someone he never met for something he never did.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  15. #115
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thatís sounds very much like you require the level of proof needed to prove a husband adulterous in the old days.
    $12,000,000 given to someone he never met for something he never did.
    He would never get a fair trial in the US. As I said he's an arrogant idiot in my opinion, and was hanging around with some dodgy people. But then so was half the BBC, hanging around with Saville. Doesn't make them all nonces. He had no choice but to settle in my opinion. As I said, he would never get a fair trial in the US. It would be grandstanding on a massive scale. Guiffre didn't have to settle out of court, she could have pursued it further, why didn't she? There is a thread by Jay Beecher which is worth reading if anyone is interested in facts.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  16. #116
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never say science doesn't have the answer.

  17. #117
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    He would never get a fair trial in the US. As I said he's an arrogant idiot in my opinion, and was hanging around with some dodgy people. But then so was half the BBC, hanging around with Saville. Doesn't make them all nonces. He had no choice but to settle in my opinion. As I said, he would never get a fair trial in the US. It would be grandstanding on a massive scale. Guiffre didn't have to settle out of court, she could have pursued it further, why didn't she? There is a thread by Jay Beecher which is worth reading if anyone is interested in facts.
    To be fair, they were not staying the night in his private ... I'm more used to bear pit wording, so I need to work on my euphemisms... How about, 'teenager's special cuddle hotel and petting zoo'? We know that his special friend has just been found guilty, we have photographic evidence of him in a cinch that you really wouldn't expect and so on. Don't try to defend the indefensible. The real obscenity is that he has bought his own justice and that is an affront to The Rule of Law and one of Brenda's very few slips. To use that as an excuse, rather than a sin in itself is a bit rich.

  18. #118
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    To be fair, they were not staying the night in his private ... I'm more used to bear pit wording, so I need to work on my euphemisms... How about, 'teenager's special cuddle hotel and petting zoo'? We know that his special friend has just been found guilty, we have photographic evidence of him in a cinch that you really wouldn't expect and so on. Don't try to defend the indefensible. The real obscenity is that he has bought his own justice and that is an affront to The Rule of Law and one of Brenda's very few slips. To use that as an excuse, rather than a sin in itself is a bit rich.
    Like I said, I have no liking for the man. The opposite in fact. But I don't believe many of the accusations thrown around. As I said, read the thread by Jay Beecher.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  19. #119
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    He would never get a fair trial in the US. As I said he's an arrogant idiot in my opinion, and was hanging around with some dodgy people. But then so was half the BBC, hanging around with Saville. Doesn't make them all nonces. He had no choice but to settle in my opinion. As I said, he would never get a fair trial in the US. It would be grandstanding on a massive scale. Guiffre didn't have to settle out of court, she could have pursued it further, why didn't she? There is a thread by Jay Beecher which is worth reading if anyone is interested in facts.
    Just because you say he would never get a fair trial in the US - and you say it twice for good measure - doesnít make what you say true. Why wouldnít he get a fair trial? Is the US a banana republic? If youíve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.

  20. #120
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just because you say he would never get a fair trial in the US - and you say it twice for good measure - doesn’t make what you say true. Why wouldn’t he get a fair trial? Is the US a banana republic? If you’ve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.
    If you really believe that it's pointless me answering your question.

    O J Simpson.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  21. #121
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If you really believe that it's pointless me answering your question.

    O J Simpson.
    Andrew would have had the best defence money can buy. I wonder why his family were happy to put out the message he was willing to co-operate with the authorities and actively doing so when clearly that wasnít the case at all?

  22. #122
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    16,065
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just because you say he would never get a fair trial in the US - and you say it twice for good measure - doesnít make what you say true. Why wouldnít he get a fair trial? Is the US a banana republic? If youíve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If you really believe that it's pointless me answering your question.

    O J Simpson.
    Simpson's criminal trial worked very well for him. The prosecution failed to convince the jury 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The defence did its job: the prosecution didn't. Simpson was acquitted.

    The second trial was a civil case where the burden of proof is lower. Simpson was found liable for the deaths of Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown. He received a financial penalty.

    Simpson was convicted of a completely different crime a year later (involvement in a robbery in Las Vegas). He served 9 years of a 33 year sentence.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  23. #123
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,911
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Andrew would have had the best defence money can buy. I wonder why his family were happy to put out the message he was willing to co-operate with the authorities and actively doing so when clearly that wasn’t the case at all?

    Maybe because they paid for it to go away, it doesn’t make him guilty nor does it make him not guilty. That is something that only a court can do (unless of course you prefer the lynch mob option), and currently it’s never been to court because “the lady” in question decide to accept a pay off instead.

    However this thread isn’t about Prince Andrew, it’s about the queue.
    Last edited by Andyg; 21st September 2022 at 18:57.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  24. #124
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,714
    There was about 26 million for the TV audience mostly BBC. Who knows what the world wide audience was.
    250,000 filed past the coffin....
    Amazing.

  25. #125
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Maybe because they paid for it to go away, it doesnít make him guilty nor does it make him not guilty. That is something that only a court can do (unless of course you prefer the launch mob option), and currently itís never been to court because ďthe ladyĒ in question decide to accept a pay off instead.

    However this thread isnít about Prince Andrew, itís about the queue.
    Nah, I donít like the lynch mob mentality. Not so sure what a launch mob is though.

  26. #126
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,226
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Simpson's criminal trial worked very well for him. The prosecution failed to convince the jury 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The defence did its job: the prosecution didn't. Simpson was acquitted.

    The second trial was a civil case where the burden of proof is lower. Simpson was found liable for the deaths of Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown. He received a financial penalty.

    Simpson was convicted of a completely different crime a year later (involvement in a robbery in Las Vegas). He served 9 years of a 33 year sentence.
    Exactly my point. If that was justice Iím a banana.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  27. #127
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,699
    Justice always relies on the respective professional capabilities/diligence of both the defence and the prosecution. I have little doubt that Andrew would have had a satisfyingly competent defence team.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  28. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There was about 26 million for the TV audience mostly BBC. Who knows what the world wide audience was.
    250,000 filed past the coffin....
    Amazing.
    I make that 2.7% of London's population and 0.37% of the UK's who filed past the coffin. Perhaps 0.4% if you factor in those in Edinburgh at St. Giles'.

    38% of the UK population may have watched it, which is possibly not as amazing a number as you hope, given that 100% of terrestrial and most satellite channels were broadcasting the same feed.

    Of course 28 million watched Eric and Ernie for their Xmas Special in 77.

    Bring me sunshine, in your smile...

  29. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I make that 2.7% of London's population and 0.37% of the UK's who filed past the coffin. Perhaps 0.4% if you factor in those in Edinburgh at St. Giles'.

    38% of the UK population may have watched it, which is possibly not as amazing a number as you hope, given that 100% of terrestrial and most satellite channels were broadcasting the same feed.

    Of course 28 million watched Eric and Ernie for their Xmas Special in 77.

    Bring me sunshine, in your smile...
    Why bring up that 0.37% stat (and it's not the first time it has been mentioned in this thread)? It's almost as if some are attempting to demonstrate that no-one really cares about QE's passing... For clarity, you do realise that given the time available plus the way it was organised 250,000 was as much as could be achieved?

    I'd say 38% is a sizeable chunk of the population and given the fact that we're much more of a 24/7 society than back in '77 I'm not entirely sure it's a fair comparison. I know of a number of people who simply weren't able to watch it, live anyway.

    Eric and Ernie were almost royalty in their own right, in that sense it's no wonder they pulled in a crowd.

  30. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Eric and Ernie were almost royalty in their own right.
    Another things I never understood

  31. #131
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    16,065
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Exactly my point. If that was justice Iím a banana.
    There's a difference between justice & the law. Trials take place in law courts, not justice courts.

    The process of law found Simpson innocent at his first, criminal trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was released.

    The process of law found Simpson guilty at his second, civil trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was required to pay reparations to the families of Goldman & Brown.

    The process of law found Simpson guilty of involvement in separate crime, a robbery, at his third, criminal trial. Justice was served when he was sentenced.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  32. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    0.37% of the U.K. population.

    Or 1 in ever 270 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.


    Bless.

    R
    Last edited by ralphy; 21st September 2022 at 12:01.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  33. #133
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    There's a difference between justice & the law. Trials take place in law courts, not justice courts.

    The process of law found Simpson innocent at his first, criminal trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was released.

    The process of law found Simpson guilty at his second, civil trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was required to pay reparations to the families of Goldman & Brown.

    The process of law found Simpson guilty of involvement in separate crime, a robbery, at his third, criminal trial. Justice was served when he was sentenced.
    Call me pedantic, but justice is the idea that the right thing happens to the right person for the right reasons. A process of law is an attempt to arrive at justice, but it isn't actually the arbiter of it, because the law reflects the opinions of a legislature. It's worth noting that after the trial they changed the law...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information