closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Queen's Queue

^^^^^I didn’t say that the overseas news press hadn’t published articles on the queue, more that a spot check as at lunchtime today didn’t show anything on their webpages.

Still plenty of coverage, but the ad-nauseam coverage of the queue from the British press is not replicated overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Its a shame some here think this reflects poorly on our country and I don't believe such to be the case.

I totally agree people should do whatever they choose to do, but there's no need to mock others' choices as some here are doing.
    ISTM that for some there is a real need to mock - baffling as that may be to others.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Incredible
    She's actually wanting to take the poor kid back in.
    Lunatic.
    imaginary 'honest' pep talk by her Ma'' Now pay your respects young Darcey and don't you worry your pretty head about the 12 million SHE paid to get her nonce son off, and remember all little girls deserve to be treated like a Princess...unless it's the Queen's favourite son ''

Lunatics...extraordinary cognitive dissonance, selective memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The whole tradesmen entrance thing must be a kick in the nuts to all waiting, I’d understanding Charlie and the crew not waiting but imagine waiting 24 hrs to see Phil Scoffers slope in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Respect for what Gordon the Gopher endured for years.

I'm on the side of the group that thinks this could have been organised, TYOOL 2022, in a way that wouldn't require mourners to stand for 24 hours. Maybe timeslots with an online application, linked to passport number (given a lack of national ID card.) Maybe have a funeral cortege travel a long distance through the city to allow people to see the late monarch.

Given the different ways that this could have been done, I can't help feeling that "the performative theatre of suffering and mourning is the point", as I read earlier today.

I'm not denigrating those who choose to mourn, of course. I'm suggesting that this could have been done in such a way that didn't demand a public physical trial to prove one's devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I'm on the side of the group that thinks this could have been organised, TYOOL 2022, in a way that wouldn't require mourners to stand for 24 hours. Maybe timeslots with an online application, linked to passport number (given a lack of national ID card.) Maybe have a funeral cortege travel a long distance through the city to allow people to see the late monarch.

Given the different ways that this could have been done, I can't help feeling that "the performative theatre of suffering and mourning is the point", as I read earlier today.

I'm not denigrating those who choose to mourn, of course. I'm suggesting that this could have been done in such a way that didn't demand a public physical trial to prove one's devotion.
    ah but the more they suffer, the more it shows how much they care, greater respect portion paid therefore higher personal virtue, see already the manifestation of extra respect for that inky plum Beckham for queueing like a normal...In years to come there'll be folk humblebragging they queued for weeks to pay their respects, thru snow and tornados with nowt but a single slice of kendall mint cake to see them through.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm not an anti-Royalist, I had a lot of respect for the Queen, but queuing outside for 24 hours to spend two minutes looking at some flags draped over a box seems like madness to me.

Each to their own, but while I can see that some people believe this is the best way to pay their respects and others, no doubt, want to feel a part of a historic event, I can't pretend to understand either view.

M
    Some guy did it twice over and some even made babies endure it.

If Danny Dyer turns up, is he entitled to a queue busting pass?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ah but the more they suffer, the more it shows how much they care, greater respect portion paid therefore higher personal virtue, see already the manifestation of extra respect for that inky plum Beckham for queueing like a normal....
    That should secure the knighthood.
    Posh would have sent him over the top on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    The massive queue is probably the clearest indicator of the nation's respect for the Queen, and I imagine many around the world are looking on in awe - and possibly a little envy that their heads of state wouldn't be able to garner the same.
    I’m not so sure, what are the estimates, 750k to 1m people will view the lying in state, not all from the UK, from a population of 65m. Also, generally all coverage is going to those in support of the monarchy, I suspect there are many more that don’t support it. Personally I’m more ‘live and let live’ if people want to queue 24 hours it has no impact on me whatsoever.

The London ambulance service have said they have cared for 710 people along the lying-in-state queuing route since Wednesday, with 81 people taken to hospital.

The service said it treated 291 patients on Wednesday, of whom 17 were taken to hospital, 144 patients on Thursday, of whom 25 were taken to hospital, and 275 patients on Friday, of whom 39 were taken to hospital.

The majority of the incidents were faints and collapses, which resulted in head injuries, the service said.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The London ambulance service have said they have cared for 710 people along the lying-in-state queuing route since Wednesday, with 81 people taken to hospital.

The service said it treated 291 patients on Wednesday, of whom 17 were taken to hospital, 144 patients on Thursday, of whom 25 were taken to hospital, and 275 patients on Friday, of whom 39 were taken to hospital.

The majority of the incidents were faints and collapses, which resulted in head injuries, the service said.
    Probably overcome with emotions more than anything else.

I think the queuing system is fantastic all things considered. In fairness no one could have imagined the queen would die one day and there was no way to plan this in advance.

Jesus, they've been planning the queue for 10 years….WOW
    Knighthood for Prof Keith Still
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 17th September 2022 at 16:50.

Master
    If the wee lassie's experience was ruined by what happened then it is only fair that she should be taken back in.

Master
    https://news.sky.com/story/second-ha...-ebay-12699578

Just glad I have a "gold" wrist band or like my wife and I called it "shit brown" 🤣

The Queen's Queue

This Morning has broke cover.

Who would have thought that the press had special access? Lolz.

Surely it is all about personal mourning and the Royal machine is not favouring the press over those standing in the queue for 24 hours?

Yeah right. What BS. Surprising (not) that the royal PR team have kept silent on this.

Just stinks but to be expected from the royal PR spin machine.

This Morning presenters 'did not jump queue' say show
    ITV show This Morning has said its presenters Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby did not “jump the queue” for the Queen’s lying in state and were there to report on the event as media.

The pair have received criticism from some on social media after they appeared inside Westminster Hall without having taken part in the queue.

A statement shared on a story on the programme’s Instagram account said: “Hello everyone, we would like to clarify something. We asked Phillip and Holly to be part of a film for this Tuesday’s programme.

“They did not jump the queue, have VIP access or file past the Queen lying in state – but instead were there in a professional capacity as part of the world’s media to report on the event.”

Can’t have someone in the queue waiting 5hrs for an ambulance - bad optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don't think so. I think that the Met did what they were told, and their professional expertise was to make it happen, not to decide what form it could take.
    As to who decides on what the protocol should be, I don't know but I am not sure the latter has been revised since before the advent of social media.
    On this you are wrong, very wrong.

The planning for this time has been ongoing for the last couple of years - in great detail.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

The planning for this time has been ongoing for the last couple of years - in great detail.
    I actually know this.
    Hence my belief that this queue is entirely deliberate.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I actually know this.
    Hence my belief that this queue is entirely deliberate.
    The queue is there to demonstrate to the world how much Britain loves the monarchy...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Try 10 years Chris, on the beeb last night, whole team of them.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The queue is there to demonstrate to the world how much Britain loves the monarchy...
    Exactly. And we both know how hard it is to catch a squirrel in winter!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Exactly. And we both know how hard it is to catch a squirrel in winter!
    The point you're missing Marc is that we're a nation united in grief...

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The point you're missing Marc is that we're a nation united in grief...
    My impression is that its a genuine grief for some, but a contrived grief for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    My impression is that its a genuine grief for some, but a contrived grief for others.
    Think for most it's a chance to join in, 'be part of history', see the spectacle and get it on Facebook, Instagram or whatever.

Blog Entries
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It seems pretty simple to me. All anyone had to do to pay their respects was wait patiently for far, far longer than we are used to doing. Why isn't the ability to wait patiently a perfectly good selection criteria? Given the nature of the event, it seems entirely appropriate, even metaphorical, that prospective mourners have to behave like pilgrims to get there.

I may be wrong, but 81 hospitalisations per million people sounds pretty good odds to me and I'll bet that the wristbands on ebay are mostly from folks who waited long enough to get a wristband then nipped home.
    Last edited by M4tt; 18th September 2022 at 23:29.

Somewhat amusingly, the only ones complaining about the queue are those who didn't join it.

Collective virtue-signalling perhaps?

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 19th September 2022 at 06:30.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Somewhat amusingly, the only ones complaining about the queue are those who didn't join it.

R
    I'd say at least 700 people who joined the queue would also complain about it. Plus the paramedics who had to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    I haven't been in the queue so I've nothing to complain about as such, however I have an opinion which I know isn't shared by everyone.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd say at least 700 people who joined the queue would also complain about it. Plus the paramedics who had to help them.
    I think you are wrong. 700 seems a very small number out of what will probably end up over a million people. So the queue almost certainly reduced the work of paramedics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It seems pretty simple to me. All anyone had to do to pay their respects was wait patiently for far, far longer than we are used to doing. .
    Lots of ways for people to pay their respects one of which will be the silence today but really there are countless ways though not all may garner the kudos of having stood in "the queue".

Master
    Thoughts are with the regular civilians who have had hospital appointments cancelled today.

But that’s the pecking order I guess. Privileged elite trumps all of us I guess. You either support it or you don’t.

Master
    The queen's queue has lots of "e"s in it, two "u"s, one "n", one "s", and two "q"s. One "q" seems to have been jumped!

I think you are wrong. 700 seems a very small number out of what will probably end up over a million people. So the queue almost certainly reduced the work of paramedics.
    That's one way to look at it. I'd completely disagree.

Master
    Exactly. You could have been given a ticket with a specific time slot on the basis that as long as you turn up at that time slot you will gain entry and maybe join a smaller queue. Then you are free to shop, go home, or just do whatever you want to do. Too many people, then start a ballot.

Nobody in their right efficient mind would create a queueing system like they have done for the queens funeral, unless your specific aim is to add to the ceremony, deference, monarchs importance and general pomp and circumstance.

I am all for people wishing to pass by the coffin if they wish to pay their respects, but going through some medieval overnight 24 hour unnecessary queueing torture as devised by the monarchs admin team, is just playing the public. The unquestioning public are happy to oblige.
    Who also are, and have been , the backbone of this country. As opposed to the wining and disparaging self important prattle being peddled by certain "members" on this thread...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's one way to look at it. I'd completely disagree.
    Cool so the claim is that:

I'd say at least 700 people who joined the queue would also complain about it.
    At some point soon, we'll find out how many folks queued and then we can do some simple maths.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Lots of ways for people to pay their respects one of which will be the silence today but really there are countless ways though not all may garner the kudos of having stood in "the queue".
    This tells us how you would feel about doing something like that, but there may well be other motives that you haven't considered.

Despite being a lifelong Republican I joined the queue. Apparently I joined the wrong one. There was a consolation though, I got a Moonswatch Neptune from the Swatch store.

Cool so the claim is that:

At some point soon, we'll find out how many folks queued and then we can do some simple maths.
    You're trying to turn this into a percentage success of how many people needed emergency medical treatment Vs queued when my claim is at least 700 people would complain about the queue.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You're trying to turn this into a percentage success of how many people needed emergency medical treatment Vs queued when my claim is at least 700 people would complain about the queue.
    Ah, equivocation, my favourite. Well done.

Blog Entries
    All the people desperately trying to having a dig at the Queen. While trying desperately to look like they're not having a dig at the Queen. Yeah course.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    All the people desperately trying to having a dig at the Queen. While trying desperately to look like they're not having a dig at the Queen. Yeah course.
    Not me, I absolutely adored our Queen,

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Who also are, and have been , the backbone of this country. As opposed to the wining and disparaging self important prattle being peddled by certain "members" on this thread...

Well said. Unfortunately some “members” here seem unable to help themselves by demonstrating their own brand of class.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    What nonsense, suppose we’re spineless now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Well said. Unfortunately some “members” here seem unable to help themselves by demonstrating their own brand of class.
    ahem, Ponce Andrew an actual sweaty nonce Prince of the blood and poor cuckolded Tampon Charlie, recently retired royal bagman ad formerly chummy with Sir Jimmy Savile, so much class, nobility and regal, why it brings tears to ones eyes.

Might add Harry spilling his guts to the world on Oprah as well...shoulda known better than airing ones dirty laundry in public, I don't claim to know the Queen, never even met her, but I imagine she was mortified being from the generation she was.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th September 2022 at 13:17.

Culture Secretary estimates 250,000 queued to see the coffin they carried her off in, but was unwilling to put an estimate on what it might have cost the nation,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-says-minister

Could this be a considerable underestimate, I thought someone said it was a million...and if it were only 250k, how come sometimes it took up to 17 hours...

The Queen's Queue

0.37% of the U.K. population.

Or 1 in ever 270 people.

0.37% of the U.K. population.

Or 1 in ever 270 people.
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.