closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Queen's Queue

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nation united in grief...uhm hardly, I'd say that's another myth busted.
    If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did? It's not as if there was any moment when they ran out of people and there was no queue, was there?

I wasn't going to go despite my feelings until my 87 year old MIL asked me to take her. Even taking the disabled route with a wheelchair it was about five hours to get a wristband for twelve hours later and another hour in the second queue. I got her there in the nick of time and the queue closed a few hundred people behind us, so I know that that was forty two thousand because the bands for that were numbered sequentially and mine was 415xx. I was told there that a million or so had gone through, although that does seem a lot.
    Last edited by M4tt; 20th September 2022 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did? It's not as if there was any moment when they ran out of people and there was no queue, was there
    Placed it is the middle of Wembley stadium? A couple of hours to get 100k people in and out and much longer duration to pay respects.

A few football stadiums around the country would have avoided tens if thousands travelling to London.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Sums up this thread.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 20th September 2022 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Placed it is the middle of Wembley stadium? A couple of hours to get 100k people in and out and much longer duration to pay respects.

A few football stadiums around the country would have avoided tens if thousands travelling to London.

You've completely missed the context of the question you're responding to.

Journeyman
    So the only way to measure grief is by counting the number of people that queue for 12+ hours?

Noted.

(I certainly wouldn't count myself as grieving, found myself occupied with other things this last week or so, and have no strong opinions on the monarchy either way, but there are many flaws in the logic here)
    Last edited by b-rad; 20th September 2022 at 15:47.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Why mess around, just sit the coffin on the central reservation barriers at Potters Bar and folks can drive past. Modern pomp and ceremony for those in a hurry? Or perhaps a theme park? Or perhaps, like Bentham we could get in the royal taxidermist and we could rebuild Her, perhaps with a languidly waving animatronic hand.

Or just maybe you may have missed the point a little - or I’m crap at spotting irony.
    Last edited by M4tt; 20th September 2022 at 16:13.

Well I don't think much of the queuing. I have a few friends who went, with their children, and were glad they did so that's good enough for me.

However yesterday's ceremony was superbly orchestrated, and all the participants (with a few regrettable exceptions, but here is not the place to name them) conducted themselves with dignity and the utmost decorum.
    The settings and the music added to the pomp and the piper's lament at the end was very moving.
    The Beeb was in my opinion bang on cue (sorry!), informative when needed and silent when it was required. A fitting send off.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    So the only way to measure grief is by counting the number of people that queue for 12+ hours?

Noted.

(I certainly wouldn't count myself as grieving, found myself occupied with other things this last week or so, and have no strong opinions on the monarchy either way, but there are many flaws in the logic here)
    Even numbers of those queuing isn't a measure grief. I didn't go but if I had would be to see the spectacle, imagine many people feel the same.

Master
    I was wondering how difficult it would have been to join those lining the route to Windsor? Surely a more interesting view with similar opportunity to bow/genuflect/ show grief or respect and not be in a queue for 10-12 hours?

Blog Entries
    Why mess around, just sit the coffin on the central reservation barriers at Potters Bar and folks can drive past. Modern pomp and ceremony for those in a hurry? Or perhaps a theme park? Or perhaps, like Bentham we could get in the royal taxidermist and we could rebuild Her, perhaps with a languidly waving animatronic hand.

Or just maybe you may have missed the point a little - or I’m crap at spotting irony.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

If that's a myth busted, can you explain how more people could have got through than did?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...see_the_queen/
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    ahem, Ponce Andrew an actual sweaty nonce Prince of the blood and poor cuckolded Tampon Charlie, recently retired royal bagman ad formerly chummy with Sir Jimmy Savile, so much class, nobility and regal, why it brings tears to ones eyes.

Might add Harry spilling his guts to the world on Oprah as well...shoulda known better than airing ones dirty laundry in public, I don't claim to know the Queen, never even met her, but I imagine she was mortified being from the generation she was.
    What a load of old rubbish. Andrew is an arrogant idiot but there is no proof of what you are accusing him of.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 20th September 2022 at 17:17.

The Queen's Queue

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What a load of old rubbish. Andrew is an arrogant idiot but there is no proof of what you are accusing him of.
    That’s sounds very much like you require the level of proof needed to prove a husband adulterous in the old days.
    $12,000,000 given to someone he never met for something he never did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That’s sounds very much like you require the level of proof needed to prove a husband adulterous in the old days.
    $12,000,000 given to someone he never met for something he never did.
    He would never get a fair trial in the US. As I said he's an arrogant idiot in my opinion, and was hanging around with some dodgy people. But then so was half the BBC, hanging around with Saville. Doesn't make them all nonces. He had no choice but to settle in my opinion. As I said, he would never get a fair trial in the US. It would be grandstanding on a massive scale. Guiffre didn't have to settle out of court, she could have pursued it further, why didn't she? There is a thread by Jay Beecher which is worth reading if anyone is interested in facts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Never say science doesn't have the answer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    He would never get a fair trial in the US. As I said he's an arrogant idiot in my opinion, and was hanging around with some dodgy people. But then so was half the BBC, hanging around with Saville. Doesn't make them all nonces. He had no choice but to settle in my opinion. As I said, he would never get a fair trial in the US. It would be grandstanding on a massive scale. Guiffre didn't have to settle out of court, she could have pursued it further, why didn't she? There is a thread by Jay Beecher which is worth reading if anyone is interested in facts.
    To be fair, they were not staying the night in his private ... I'm more used to bear pit wording, so I need to work on my euphemisms... How about, 'teenager's special cuddle hotel and petting zoo'? We know that his special friend has just been found guilty, we have photographic evidence of him in a cinch that you really wouldn't expect and so on. Don't try to defend the indefensible. The real obscenity is that he has bought his own justice and that is an affront to The Rule of Law and one of Brenda's very few slips. To use that as an excuse, rather than a sin in itself is a bit rich.

Blog Entries
    To be fair, they were not staying the night in his private ... I'm more used to bear pit wording, so I need to work on my euphemisms... How about, 'teenager's special cuddle hotel and petting zoo'? We know that his special friend has just been found guilty, we have photographic evidence of him in a cinch that you really wouldn't expect and so on. Don't try to defend the indefensible. The real obscenity is that he has bought his own justice and that is an affront to The Rule of Law and one of Brenda's very few slips. To use that as an excuse, rather than a sin in itself is a bit rich.
    Like I said, I have no liking for the man. The opposite in fact. But I don't believe many of the accusations thrown around. As I said, read the thread by Jay Beecher.

Master
    Just because you say he would never get a fair trial in the US - and you say it twice for good measure - doesn’t make what you say true. Why wouldn’t he get a fair trial? Is the US a banana republic? If you’ve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just because you say he would never get a fair trial in the US - and you say it twice for good measure - doesn’t make what you say true. Why wouldn’t he get a fair trial? Is the US a banana republic? If you’ve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.
    If you really believe that it's pointless me answering your question.

O J Simpson.

Master

O J Simpson.
    Andrew would have had the best defence money can buy. I wonder why his family were happy to put out the message he was willing to co-operate with the authorities and actively doing so when clearly that wasn’t the case at all?

O J Simpson.
    Simpson's criminal trial worked very well for him. The prosecution failed to convince the jury 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The defence did its job: the prosecution didn't. Simpson was acquitted.

The second trial was a civil case where the burden of proof is lower. Simpson was found liable for the deaths of Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown. He received a financial penalty.

Simpson was convicted of a completely different crime a year later (involvement in a robbery in Las Vegas). He served 9 years of a 33 year sentence.
    ______

​Jim.

Andrew would have had the best defence money can buy. I wonder why his family were happy to put out the message he was willing to co-operate with the authorities and actively doing so when clearly that wasn’t the case at all?

Maybe because they paid for it to go away, it doesn’t make him guilty nor does it make him not guilty. That is something that only a court can do (unless of course you prefer the lynch mob option), and currently it’s never been to court because “the lady” in question decide to accept a pay off instead.

However this thread isn’t about Prince Andrew, it’s about the queue.
    Last edited by Andyg; 21st September 2022 at 18:57.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

There was about 26 million for the TV audience mostly BBC. Who knows what the world wide audience was.
    250,000 filed past the coffin....
    Amazing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Maybe because they paid for it to go away, it doesn’t make him guilty nor does it make him not guilty. That is something that only a court can do (unless of course you prefer the launch mob option), and currently it’s never been to court because “the lady” in question decide to accept a pay off instead.

However this thread isn’t about Prince Andrew, it’s about the queue.
    Nah, I don’t like the lynch mob mentality. Not so sure what a launch mob is though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Simpson's criminal trial worked very well for him. The prosecution failed to convince the jury 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The defence did its job: the prosecution didn't. Simpson was acquitted.

The second trial was a civil case where the burden of proof is lower. Simpson was found liable for the deaths of Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown. He received a financial penalty.

Simpson was convicted of a completely different crime a year later (involvement in a robbery in Las Vegas). He served 9 years of a 33 year sentence.
    Exactly my point. If that was justice I’m a banana.

Justice always relies on the respective professional capabilities/diligence of both the defence and the prosecution. I have little doubt that Andrew would have had a satisfyingly competent defence team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There was about 26 million for the TV audience mostly BBC. Who knows what the world wide audience was.
    250,000 filed past the coffin....
    Amazing.
    I make that 2.7% of London's population and 0.37% of the UK's who filed past the coffin. Perhaps 0.4% if you factor in those in Edinburgh at St. Giles'.

38% of the UK population may have watched it, which is possibly not as amazing a number as you hope, given that 100% of terrestrial and most satellite channels were broadcasting the same feed.

Of course 28 million watched Eric and Ernie for their Xmas Special in 77.

Bring me sunshine, in your smile...
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I make that 2.7% of London's population and 0.37% of the UK's who filed past the coffin. Perhaps 0.4% if you factor in those in Edinburgh at St. Giles'.

38% of the UK population may have watched it, which is possibly not as amazing a number as you hope, given that 100% of terrestrial and most satellite channels were broadcasting the same feed.

Of course 28 million watched Eric and Ernie for their Xmas Special in 77.

Bring me sunshine, in your smile...
    Why bring up that 0.37% stat (and it's not the first time it has been mentioned in this thread)? It's almost as if some are attempting to demonstrate that no-one really cares about QE's passing... For clarity, you do realise that given the time available plus the way it was organised 250,000 was as much as could be achieved?

I'd say 38% is a sizeable chunk of the population and given the fact that we're much more of a 24/7 society than back in '77 I'm not entirely sure it's a fair comparison. I know of a number of people who simply weren't able to watch it, live anyway.

Eric and Ernie were almost royalty in their own right, in that sense it's no wonder they pulled in a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Eric and Ernie were almost royalty in their own right.
    Another things I never understood

Exactly my point. If that was justice I’m a banana.
    There's a difference between justice & the law. Trials take place in law courts, not justice courts.

The process of law found Simpson innocent at his first, criminal trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was released.

The process of law found Simpson guilty at his second, civil trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was required to pay reparations to the families of Goldman & Brown.

The process of law found Simpson guilty of involvement in separate crime, a robbery, at his third, criminal trial. Justice was served when he was sentenced.
    ______

​Jim.

0.37% of the U.K. population.

Or 1 in ever 270 people.

Bless.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 21st September 2022 at 12:01.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    There's a difference between justice & the law. Trials take place in law courts, not justice courts.

The process of law found Simpson innocent at his first, criminal trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was released.

The process of law found Simpson guilty at his second, civil trial regarding the deaths of Goldman & Brown. Justice was served when he was required to pay reparations to the families of Goldman & Brown.

The process of law found Simpson guilty of involvement in separate crime, a robbery, at his third, criminal trial. Justice was served when he was sentenced.
    Call me pedantic, but justice is the idea that the right thing happens to the right person for the right reasons. A process of law is an attempt to arrive at justice, but it isn't actually the arbiter of it, because the law reflects the opinions of a legislature. It's worth noting that after the trial they changed the law...