closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Queen's Queue

Master

The Queen's Queue

Possibly a thing made for British people but I did it today with my wife. Joined 06:30 this morning and viewed the casket exactly 12 hours later. Quite a moving and powerful experience in Westminster Hall. Missed the children standing guard by 30 mins but did get to see a guard change happen as we entered. The queue itself was a big part of the experience and overall time went faster than you expected. Some bits dragged at the time and it was pretty chilly with the wind and in the shade for a lot of the time. Not sure I'd want to overnight it. Plenty of loos and drink/food places along the way. The route is anyway one of our favourite walks in London. Made some new besties and everyone was in good spirits including police from all over England and Wales. Legs and back ached a bit by the end but we were both glad we made the effort. I would say it is a very white queue which I found a bit surprising.
    Last edited by reecie; 16th September 2022 at 22:47.

Blog Entries
    Respect to you for doing it. I wish I was able to.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I've been playing the live stream on the spare monitor as I work, quite therapeutic. I would have joined had I been closer (sadly I wasn't here for the Edinburgh one). By all accounts it is quite the experience. Treat yourself to a hot toddy before bed!

P.S. I've become a tad irked by 2 changes in recent days - splitting each line into two on each side within the Hall (not so good for those at the back), and the ushers encouraging folk along all too quickly (FFS, if you've just stood in line for 9 hours, they could at least give you 5 seconds to stop and pay your respects!).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 16th September 2022 at 22:21.

Three ladies from our village went up to London yesterday evening, stayed overnight and joined the queue early morning. Then they laid some flowers they'd collected from their gardens and got back home tea-time today. Told SWMBO it was such a moving experience, from talking to complete strangers in the queue, being looked after by several ex-military chaps, the silence in the hall and the stewardess on the return train providing them with coffees and biscuits with no charge. They were very glad that they'd made the effort to go and were grateful that they'd got the opportunity to pay their respects to their Queen.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I just can't get my head round this.

There's no way I'd queue up for hours to walk past the coffin of someone I had no direct connection to.

I really think we've lost the plot and I have nothing against the royal family.

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Respect to you for doing it. I wish I was able to.
    What is stopping you? If the queen served you for 70 years, the least you can do is put yourself out for one or two days and honour her.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 16th September 2022 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What is stopping you?

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    That may be Ian's personal business and not something he's happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That may be Ian's personal business and not something he's happy to share.
    I am sure he is grown up enough to speak for himself and say he is not happy to share.

I am sure he is grown up enough to speak for himself and say he is not happy to share.

I'm sure he is.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 17th September 2022 at 00:17.

Blog Entries
    What is stopping you? If the queen served you for 70 years, the least you can do is put yourself out for one or two days and honour her.
    My missus had a knee replacement last week, and needs me here to look after her.

My missus had a knee replacement last week, and needs me here to look after her.
    Sending my regards to your wife. I really hope she gets better soon. I mean that.

But, get on that train to London if you can. I am no fan of the monarchy, but you clearly are, and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to pay your respects, and be part of history.

Master

Cmon man get down there.

I walked along side the queue from Tower Bridge up to Westminster, then crossed the bridge to Parliament Square and then on to St. James' Park, past Buckingham Palace and then to Green Park. It was a touch chilly out of the sun and in the breeze however it didn't matter. IEveryone, young and old, appeared to be in good spirits along the line and, as has been said, the support was superb.

I don't/didn't have the time to join the line proper, it was still an experience not to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I would say it is a very white queue which I found a bit surprising.
    My experience of watching the livestream on several occasions at various times of the day and night is that the queue is quite diverse.

Craftsman
    Bet there’s some right jeans and sheux action in that queue.

People queued to walk past a coffin being guarded by a sex offender. As a country we have gone beyond parody.

The Queen's Queue

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Bet there’s some right jeans and sheux action in that queue.
    No idea what you mean by that?

Edit: just googled it. Never mind
    Last edited by Halitosis; 17th September 2022 at 06:59.

Master
    Much respect to those who join the queue, giving their time and effort rather than disparaging comments from a keyboard in 10 seconds.

Read the wait reached 24 hours. Means they can’t be closing the queue which always seemed daft, ended up with a queue for the queue.

As for Beckham, apparently turned down an offer from an MP to jump the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Much respect to those who join the queue, giving their time and effort rather than disparaging comments from a keyboard in 10 seconds.
    Gentle parody surely...respect when someone runs a marathon for charity or something of that nature... ´respect ´´for queueing though, let´s try and keep some perspective, grip on reality, as a nation...what next ´respect´ for queueing for 12 hours to buy the latest iphone, trainers, insert newest- fad consumable of choice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Cmon man get down there.
    Unfortunately as flesh wounds go it’s a very painful one and her mobility is limited for a while. So while I can get out for a couple of hours I don’t think all day would be a good idea.

They should call the queue 'The Elizabeth Line'

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    They should call the queue 'The Elizabeth Line'
    Excellent

Some people really do miss the point, ridiculing people for queuing for so long.

I think it’s fantastic, people getting to know strangers, shared views, creating new friendships.

With so much negative views, news and media bombarding people on a daily basis, can’t think of anything better than getting people together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Some people really do miss the point, ridiculing people for queuing for so long.

I think it’s fantastic, people getting to know strangers, shared views, creating new friendships.

With so much negative views, news and media bombarding people on a daily basis, can’t think of anything better than getting people together.
    Sounds very much like “panem et circenses”.
    The queue could have been much smaller if managed with a ticketing system, like they do in museums for special exhibitions. Everything else is apparently perfectly organised, with adequate policing, volunteering, food, and porta loos (hello Thérèse!). So why have they set up a system that would inevitably result in this queue? And how will they deal with the aftermath when people are forbidden from queuing (since I believe the deadline is on Monday morning). Or will they just close the gate and disperse people, betting on their exhaustion after 24 hours+ standing?
    It’s also not about ridiculing the mourners, except for the queue jumping entitled prats who deserve everything that is thrown at them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The queue could have been much smaller if managed with a ticketing system, like they do in museums for special exhibitions. Everything else is apparently perfectly organised, with adequate policing, volunteering, food, and porta loos (hello Thérèse!). So why have they set up a system that would inevitably result in this queue? And how will they deal with the aftermath when people are forbidden from queuing (since I believe the deadline is on Monday morning). Or will they just close the gate and disperse people, betting on their exhaustion after 24 hours+ standing?
    It’s also not about ridiculing the mourners, except for the queue jumping entitled prats who deserve everything that is thrown at them.
    Actually, there's been lots of ridiculing of mourners on the other thread, Marc - in fact, it's been a constant. Unnecessary, and totally lacking in emotional intelligence.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th September 2022 at 11:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, there's been lots of ridiculing or mourners on the other thread, Marc - in fact, it's been a constant. Unnecessary, and totally lacking in emotional intelligence.
    I totally agree. And those that are mocking it are generally the same old keyboard warriors who seem to spend most of each day posting the same old whining diatribe in multiple threads. Paying respects to an outstanding Monarch of the last 70 years is a more valuable use of time than constantly trying to pick fights with strangers on a watch forum. Respect to Beckham too in opting to queue for the full duration when he has no disabilities that would preclude him from doing so but could have followed the lead of other "celebrities" in being fast-tracked. RIP Your Majesty.

Journeyman
    Respect for making the effort, 18 hour queue this morning! If there's one thing us brits do well it's queue!

Everyone shows their appreciation for the Queen in different ways, and all need to be respected in my opinion, hats off to those committing to the 18 hour queues.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

. . . . . .
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 19th September 2022 at 19:16.

Exactly. You could have been given a ticket with a specific time slot on the basis that as long as you turn up at that time slot you will gain entry and maybe join a smaller queue. Then you are free to shop, go home, or just do whatever you want to do. Too many people, then start a ballot.

Nobody in their right efficient mind would create a queueing system like they have done for the queens funeral, unless your specific aim is to add to the ceremony, deference, monarchs importance and general pomp and circumstance.

I am all for people wishing to pass by the coffin if they wish to pay their respects, but going through some medieval overnight 24 hour unnecessary queueing torture as devised by the monarchs admin team, is just playing the public. The unquestioning public are happy to oblige.

Master
    Different queues. An accessible one, the big one, a press one I think and a VIP one for MPs, pop stars etc. Altho I noticed David Beckam joined the regular queue so good for him. Cant see Rees Mogg joining the plebs. No Etonians or top hats. Clearly the Queen must have had some sway over people. Mad to think the Beatles/Stones were children when she was crowned.

I'm not an anti-Royalist, I had a lot of respect for the Queen, but queuing outside for 24 hours to spend two minutes looking at some flags draped over a box seems like madness to me.

Each to their own, but while I can see that some people believe this is the best way to pay their respects and others, no doubt, want to feel a part of a historic event, I can't pretend to understand either view.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I am all for people wishing to pass by the coffin if they wish to pay their respects, but going through some medieval overnight 24 hour unnecessary queueing torture as devised by the monarchs admin team, is just playing the public. The unquestioning public are happy to oblige.
    It is definitely a social catharsis and as such the queuing is probably seen as essential, much like some pilgrimages had to be done on one's knees.

Of course, you can then question who decided it should be this way.

... queueing torture as devised by the monarchs admin team...
    What's your basis for suggesting this? I'd have thought that the Met Police and others concerned with public safety would have been the key decision makers.

The Queen gave 70 years of her life as our monarch, if people are willing and able to give a number of hours of theirs then fair play.

I rarely speak (type?) so blunlty on TZ though if anyone mocks those who are paying their respects then they can eff right off. Don't feel the desire to do it yourself? That's fine, just leave others to do as they wish.

On-line tickets you mean?

Priority access for American Express cardholders and a Ticketmaster secondary market.

What's your basis for suggesting this? I'd have thought that the Met Police and others concerned with public safety would have been the key decision makers.
    I don't think so. I think that the Met did what they were told, and their professional expertise was to make it happen, not to decide what form it could take.
    As to who decides on what the protocol should be, I don't know but I am not sure the latter has been revised since before the advent of social media.

The massive queue is probably the clearest indicator of the nation's respect for the Queen, and I imagine many around the world are looking on in awe - and possibly a little envy that their heads of state wouldn't be able to garner the same.

I’d say the decision makers have little consideration for the well-being of the public. If you must pay your respects they have caused tens of thousands of people to queue 24 hours in cold overnight weather. No sleep and standing all night. The stoic public have sucked it up as no alternative was offered. There is no reason it couldn’t have been devised more sensibly.

Can you imagine the headline. Met police interferes with queens funeral arrangements and uncaringly puts an end to 24 hour queueing.

Met police have such a general bad press; they are just puppets in the whole thing and will just say their job is keeping people safe, preventing crime and helping with crowd control.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    The massive queue is probably the clearest indicator of the nation's respect for the Queen, and I imagine many around the world are looking on in awe - and possibly a little envy that their heads of state wouldn't be able to garner the same.
    I'm pretty sure Trump's will elicit two equally large queues, one to vow vengeance on the conspirators who killed him and the other to dance joyfully on the grave...

Clearly, the Queen was greatly respected by millions who never met her and I have no problem with anyone who wants to be part of the lying in state, even if it's not for me.

She was the 'face of Britain' for 70 years and there will probably never be a monarch so long-lived as her again and I'm sure the monarchy will never be viewed with the same widespread respect again. Some of that respect can be laid at the door of her father's decision not to remove the family to the safety of Canada in WW2.

Her passing is a change of more than just a reigning monarch.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th September 2022 at 12:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The massive queue is probably the clearest indicator of the nation's idiocy for the Queen, and I imagine many around the world are looking on and thinking what the hells going on and possibly a little thankful that their heads of state arent able to garner the same.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    FIFY
    I doubt you actually believe that

I doubt you actually believe that
    I wouldn't bet on it.

The Queen's Queue

and I imagine many around the world are looking on in awe
    Not if you look at the overseas press. Just looked at the front pages of a random 3 overseas newspapers; the NY Times, Washington Post and Die Welt. Couldn’t find anything on the queue in the headline pages.

The attitude that the world is looking at the U.K. in awe is a 1950s-rule-britannia-colonial view based on superior nonsense.

I will go with bewilderment.

Getting sillier, man arrested last night for touching coffin...Darcey's Mam very unhappy...want's 7 year old Darce to get another turn on the Respecto go round, cos she's been queueing for 15 hours...Darcey's Mum still not cottoned on yet, comprehend the point, her place and role in all this performance has she.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...in-westminster

Looking on in mild bewilderment, pity and concern even.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th September 2022 at 13:10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I totally agree. And those that are mocking it are generally the same old keyboard warriors who seem to spend most of each day posting the same old whining diatribe in multiple threads. Paying respects to an outstanding Monarch of the last 70 years is a more valuable use of time than constantly trying to pick fights with strangers on a watch forum.
    Yup.

I’d say the decision makers have little consideration for the well-being of the public. If you must pay your respects they have caused tens of thousands of people to queue 24 hours in cold overnight weather. No sleep and standing all night. The stoic public have sucked it up as no alternative was offered. There is no reason it couldn’t have been devised more sensibly.
    Do tell just how it could have been devised more sensibly then.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Getting sillier, man arrested last night for touching coffin...Darcey's Mam very unhappy...want's 7 year old Darce to get another turn on the Respecto go round, cos she's been queueing for 15 hours...Darcey's Mum still not cottoned on yet, comprehend the point, her place and role in all this performance has she.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...in-westminster

Looking on in mild bewilderment, pity and concern even.
    Incredible
    She's actually wanting to take the poor kid back in.
    Lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Do tell just how it could have been devised more sensibly then.

R
    I would have added walking barefoot over hot coals, an obstacle course and self-flagellation.

Otherwise, you are not showing enough respect.

Not if you look at the overseas press. Just looked at the front pages of a random 3 overseas newspapers; the NY Times, Washington Post and Die Welt. Couldn’t find anything on the queue in the headline pages.

The attitude that the world is looking at the U.K. in awe is a 1950s-rule-britannia-colonial view based on superior nonsense.

I will go with bewilderment.

I didn't suggest it would make front page news - of course there are far more important and newsworthy headlines.

However - taking your lead I've just looked at the same three news sites where I found articles (linked below) with quotes such as "It is the queue to end all queues", "The queue for the queen has been a testament to her international appeal", and "The British capital is currently experiencing what is probably the longest queue of all time".

Its a shame some here think this reflects poorly on our country and I don't believe such to be the case.

I totally agree people should do whatever they choose to do, but there's no need to mock others' choices as some here are doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/16/w...een-queue.html
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...n-westminster/
    https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/prom...ueen-Sarg.html

The whole tradesmen entrance thing must be a kick in the nuts to all waiting, I’d understanding Charlie and the crew not waiting but imagine waiting 24 hrs to see Phil Scoffers slope in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk