closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suggestions for solo holiday in October

Craftsman

Suggestions for solo holiday in October

I’m looking to go away in October for a solo holiday. My wife used to sort everything out, however we separated last year.

I feel I need to get away but literally have no idea where to go or how to get started.

Anyone have any suggestions for a 4 day break? Would be nice to get some sun if possible.

Literally open to any suggestions near or far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva Las Vegas.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tenerife ideal
    Weather, like minded people, sport or just relax

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My last few holidays have been solo.

Last one was Kiev in 2020 but think that ship has sailed.

Malaga is perfect for 4 days short flight chance of sun and enough to see.

Tenerife
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It would help to know what you are into. I could easily spend a week somewhere on my own, but my recommendations would be quite specific to my interests (road trips, weird hotels, busy cities, museums, food and shopping). 4 days is short, so I'd stick to Europe and go to a more urban centre where I wouldn't feel out of place exploring on my own. Sun is a bit of an issue though as most places I'd want to go in Europe in October aren't particularly warm.

I absolutely love road trips and don't mind doing them on my own as it's so peaceful and therapeutic. If I had a week I'd fly to San Francisco and do the coastal route down to LA with stops in Carmel, via Big Sur, San Luis Obispo (Madonna Inn, Hurst Castle, etc.), Malibu... Visit the Petersen Museum and then drive through the desert to Pioneer Town, then to Las Vegas, buy a watch to commemorate the experience, and fly back from there. It would be a spiritual journey!

Master
    I know you said sun, but if I was travelling solo I’d take a trip to Reykjavik. Short flight, you can see quite a bit in four days on organised tours and get the chance to meet other people. Very social place.

Learn to Scuba dive in the Canary Islands or Red Sea resorts.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Barcelona could be a good option - covers several options, lots to see - good museums, good food, decent beach...

See this thread

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    It would help to know what you are into. I could easily spend a week somewhere on my own, but my recommendations would be quite specific to my interests (road trips, weird hotels, busy cities, museums, food and shopping). 4 days is short, so I'd stick to Europe and go to a more urban centre where I wouldn't feel out of place exploring on my own. Sun is a bit of an issue though as most places I'd want to go in Europe in October aren't particularly warm.

I absolutely love road trips and don't mind doing them on my own as it's so peaceful and therapeutic. If I had a week I'd fly to San Francisco and do the coastal route down to LA with stops in Carmel, via Big Sur, San Luis Obispo (Madonna Inn, Hurst Castle, etc.), Malibu... Visit the Petersen Museum and then drive through the desert to Pioneer Town, then to Las Vegas, buy a watch to commemorate the experience, and fly back from there. It would be a spiritual journey!
    Pretty much open to anything. I like it all cities,beach, countryside. I’m happy reading by the pool or going on adventures.

Craftsman
    Great suggestions already. Much appreciated!

Dubrovnik is a fab place to enjoy a few days and will be warm in October - I'm not sure if he's still on here but we have a TZ member from Croatia who was really helpful to me and gave me details of an AirBnB to stay at

Lanzarote is my favourite Canary island but you'd probably need a week there - great for relaxing, loads of excursions etc

Rome - I used to go there a lot in my 20s when I was learning the language. A multitude of things to see and do....Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, lovely piazzas

Journeyman
    Venice is quite the sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I’m looking to go away in October for a solo holiday. My wife used to sort everything out, however we separated last year.

I feel I need to get away but literally have no idea where to go or how to get started.

Anyone have any suggestions for a 4 day break? Would be nice to get some sun if possible.

Literally open to any suggestions near or far.

I've always wanted to visit Athens, so much history and culture.

I'm not sure if everything might have closed down tourist-wise by October though?

Maybe Marrakech, Lanzarote or Cyprus?

Blog Entries
    Lanzarote is my favourite Canary island
    Lanzarote is awesome! If you're into cycling: it's perfect for that (including challenging hills...). You're likely to meet like-minded people. Caleta de Famara (NW Lanzarote) is a good spot for surfing (lessons).

4 days is also fine if you want to learn how to sail! I've been teaching people the fine art of sailing for almost 40 yrs now and tons of people I had on my boat were single. Cat sailing, or another type of boat. I think that the Canaries are a perfect place for that in October.

Master
    I spend 5 days in Prague by myself. I had a fun trip despite the weather being miserable. It was November so cold and wet but did mean the city was quieter. I explored the city during the day, visited the castle and museums, listed to a string quartet play Dvořák in a church, ate some good food in restaurant and winter markets, read in coffee shops and in the evening struck up conversations with people in various pubs abd bars in the evening. All in all a good break.

Alicante.

Weather - tick.

Food & drink - tick.

Beach (if you want) -tick.

History/culture - tick.

Cheap flights - tick.

Short flight time - tick.

Short transfer from airport - tick.

Loads of hotels at various prices - tick.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Alicante.

Weather - tick.

Food & drink - tick.

History/culture - tick.

Cheap flights - tick.

Just back from my second trip there.
    Only used to use it as a transit point but it’s a great city in its own right and all your bullet points are right.

Other than that OP, I’d recommend Bilbao with San Sebastián .
    Best foodie destination for miles and you can even do a day on the Camino trail to walk it off .

Bucharest and travel to Transylvania to see Draculas castle.

Master

Hi op. Perhaps hire a camper van.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Alicante.

Weather - tick.

Food & drink - tick.

History/culture - tick.

Cheap flights - tick.

+1, I love Alicante, great city, often overlooked but ticks so many boxes. Otherwise Vilamora in the Algarve is not a bad bet.

Istanbul, Marrakesh?

Journeyman
    I think you could fill 4 days quite happily in Rome, it’s my favourite city.

Master
    I went to Valencia alone for 4 days.
    Cracking beach
    Great historic city.
    Great food and you could take in a football game at the mestalla if Valencia at home(I watched a Valencia v Ajax) champions league game whilst there.
    A few Irish bars to head to which you don't feel out of place drinking in.

Craftsman
    Fab suggestions. Got some homework to do this weekend

Craftsman
    Another vote for Tenerife. We (myself and the ex) used to go to Los Cristianos every year for about a decade. Not as commercial and cheesy as PDLA can be, but plenty of bars and restaurants. Lovely weather, great friendly people. And October is a good time for autumn sun. From there excursions out to sea, up into the hills to the volcano and lots of nice villages around for the proper authentic taste of life.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

This is great advice if you don't dive already. A whole new world is waiting.

Maybe sailing around the Greek isles ?

There have been a couple of suggestions for Rome, and that was my first thought, too. Get a central hotel, walk everywhere. There is something to see around every corner. Listen to Mike Duncan's History Of Rome podcast before you go - it's only about 70 hours!

I had the best pizza of my life in Rome...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Another vote for Tenerife. We (myself and the ex) used to go to Los Cristianos every year for about a decade. Not as commercial and cheesy as PDLA can be, but plenty of bars and restaurants. Lovely weather, great friendly people. And October is a good time for autumn sun. From there excursions out to sea, up into the hills to the volcano and lots of nice villages around for the proper authentic taste of life.
    And +1 as there’s also Mount Teide to see!

Master
    There’s literally so many fantastic places you can go to in the south of Europe and the weather will hopefully still be good. Not sure what your budget is, but maybe worth looking at flights initially as you may find some good deals on prices, which will leave you more for accommodation. Italy - Rome is fantastic, but also flight to Naples for Sorrento, Capri, Vesuvius and some amazing villages. Pisa for Florence and some amazing coastal places across Tuscany. Nice in the S of France and get day trips on the train to Monaco, Cannes etc. Spain - Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga, the Balearics, the Canary Islands, all have so much to do either there or surrounding areas. Faro for the Algarve.

Look at flights, then decide whether you want history, beach, food, relaxing or all of them.

Craftsman
    I would be looking at Spain rather than Greece. The Greeks wind down pretty quickly for Autumn about now. I got caught like this and if You aren’t careful you can trudge the length and breadth of a resort just to try and find an evening meal. Spain will be open for a few more months yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I would be looking at Spain rather than Greece. The Greeks wind down pretty quickly for Autumn about now. I got caught like this and if You aren’t careful you can trudge the length and breadth of a resort just to try and find an evening meal. Spain will be open for a few more months yet.
    Crete doesn’t, it is open throughout October and the weather is better than Spain.

I’d be looking to hire the loudest two seater sports car available and undertake a road trip from the Uk to the south coast of France, pull up outside the most elegantly ancient hotel, hand the keys to a chap and embark on a couple of days of drinking the best wines, eating the best food, walking the best walks and people watching whilst reading trashy novels. The return trip would be completed in the longest time available. Four days or forty days of cathartic travel.

Master
    Thailand is quite popular for single blokes. Not sure why but I’m sure there is a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Thailand is quite popular for single blokes. Not sure why but I’m sure there is a good reason.
    A fool and his money springs to mind

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I reckon almost anywhere can be a solo vacation if you have the right mind-set.
    In your position (and I almost am) I'd just go on last minute.com or whatever the current equivalent is and book whatever looks the biggest bargain.
    The modern version of chucking a dart at a map.

Personally I might be tempted with a cruise of some sort... different city every day, lots of "me time" whilst aboard.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Israel is always rather nice and quite cheap if you book early - everything can be done by bus cheaply and easily. Malta never disappoints and has an awful lot of 'off the beaten track' for a small island chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I’d be looking to hire the loudest two seater sports car available and undertake a road trip from the Uk to the south coast of France, pull up outside the most elegantly ancient hotel, hand the keys to a chap and embark on a couple of days of drinking the best wines, eating the best food, walking the best walks and people watching whilst reading trashy novels. The return trip would be completed in the longest time available. Four days or forty days of cathartic travel.
    That idea alone is worth a divorce.

From my experience when I got divorced many years ago: First time, I made the mistake of going somewhere where there were a lot of couples as well. I had the idea of being 'singled out' so to speak and I was annoyed and angry at my ex-wife for putting me in that situation(...)

I don't know how the OP thinks about that, but perhaps it's something to consider when booking a holiday. The idea of doing something you would never have done when married, could be an interesting angle as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

My friend did that after his wife died - he said learning to dive took his mind of things and he really enjoyed it (as much as he could of course)

B

Interested to know why solo,do you want to go on your own or none of your mates available.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Interested to know why solo,do you want to go on your own or none of your mates available.

Yep, no one available. Wives , kids etc.