closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parcel force delivered Item missing / stolen `

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Thanks for the inside track on this, useful to know. Did seem odd to me that the PF person wasn't expected to be upfront about a clearly damaged parcel so good to know there's a clear protocol for identifying and acknowledging damage.

I'd have used RMSD. My only experience of a potentially tampered with delivery was with RMSD but it transpired that the sender had not included the items. The box was poorly packaged which initially lead to questions about courier theft but these were nullified when the sender was reluctant to make a loss claim and I subsequently found him selling the exact same item on another forum. I still had to go through 'small claims' but did so on principle!
    Wow what a scumbag, hope you were successful in small claims.

Craftsman
    This is why I always insist on sending items at their declared value. Sorry to see your having to go through this can imagine it’s quite some hassle and stress for yourself and the seller

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    This is why I always insist on sending items at their declared value. Sorry to see your having to go through this can imagine it’s quite some hassle and stress for yourself and the seller
    i dont see how this is the OPs issue at all really, until the goods are in his hands in good condition the sale isnt completed.

pain for the seller though,

A quick update
    I’ve spoken to the seller. He’s speaking to parcel force this afternoon
    Hope we both get sorted

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Wow what a scumbag, hope you were successful in small claims.
    Yep, took about 15mths and c20hrs to go through the paperwork resulting in judgment in my favour. The seller then sought time to pay for to hardship so was told to pay £250 over 12 mths. This was despite me providing emails showing him referring to owning Rolexes and his completed means schedule showing some fairly unnecessary but extravagant personal expenditure. So a win overall but quite a time consuming process, even though I'm fairly comfortable with 'evidential' based processes. I'd never done it before so it was good experience but I can see why folk are reluctant to use it for minor debts generally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Hope it was insured at the correct value otherwise it will be tears before bedtime
    Not sure it makes a difference, you can only claim for what you declare/sell it for, not what it might cost to replace etc. If seller was happy to sell at £600 and it was insured for that, it's all good.

How many places would a parcel such as this be alone with someone where it could be opened and the bag removed unobserved? Very few I'd guess, with the primary place the end delivery. It does seem the branding was a little too visible through the packaging imo - always worth sticking things like this in a black bin liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Not sure it makes a difference, you can only claim for what you declare/sell it for, not what it might cost to replace etc. If seller was happy to sell at £600 and it was insured for that, it's all good.
    He’s referring to whether it was insured for the sale price or not. Doesn’t matter what you sell it for if it’s only insured for the minimum to save ££.

No idea why RMSD wasn't used. I sold a bigger LV bag than that recently and I sent it RMSD so this one would have fit.

Presume you already have your refund and won't be asked to wait the 2 months or so it will take for the seller to get his refund?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No idea why RMSD wasn't used. I sold a bigger LV bag than that recently and I sent it RMSD so this one would have fit.

Presume you already have your refund and won't be asked to wait the 2 months or so it will take for the seller to get his refund?
    No refund yet Ryan
    I’ve spoken to the seller via what’s app and asked for it and sent him all my bank details
    See what happens tomorrow
    Last edited by lenlec; 17th September 2022 at 07:18.

Good Morning all!,

My name is Jon the person who sold the LV bag.....What a mess hey?....

May I thank everyone for their insight on this thread, I must admit it has opened my eyes to some things.

What a lesson I've learnt.....The only reason I didn't use RMSD was the size of the wretched box. But even by RMSD this would/could have happened.

A little about me: I spent the first half of my career with Admiral working in Fraud, and the second severely underpaid by the Government in vehicle fraud. I retied Sep 2021.

I have seen everything you can imagine, every deception, bright idea, loophole and outright theft. This is in the first instance .....Theft. So a criminal matter firstly.

The method of sending differs only to compensation and doesn't prevent the act of course. So firstly the police need to be informed.

I am concerned about something which I will share here, as this is now a public mater.

I used very thick wallpaper to wrap the box, as it was the only thing that would hide the branding of LV, Nothing could be seen from the outside...nothing...So how on earth would anyone have the knowledge a £1800 bag was inside?....Just got lucky....No way....The box weighed nothing so hardly a target of note.

Why hasn't the driver followed SOP's rendering any claim invalid?......I'm about to discuss this with Parcel force after I finish this Coffee.

Put simply....I will follow due diligence before I Blindly part with £800(The sale price) on the basis of a few photos and a story I need to confirm.

I'm hoping the bag will "turn up" once the police are told.....or at the very least the "empty bag" will be returned to me for forensics and to make claiming valid.

However at this point I am not blaming anyone or accusing anyone of wrongdoing...Way too soon for that....and my reputation on TZ is flawless and worth far more than £800 pounds.

I'm not going anywhere, and if nothing else is may this be a lesson........Don't buy overpriced bags....I suspect the watch gods are punishing both me and Andy.
    Best
    Jon
    Last edited by Juice; 17th September 2022 at 10:56. Reason: adding wrapping details

Lesson 1: always use RMSD at that level. Lesson 2: money can’t buy taste.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the item was properly insured I see no problem here.

I’d always use RMSD for any item of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If the item was properly insured I see no problem here.

I’d always use RMSD for any item of value.
    Agreed, however by refusing the delivery it has apparently invalidated any claim. I must admit I would have done the same as OP

Packaging is everything. Wallpaper? Easily ripped by anything it catches.

It's easy in hindsight, but surely a sealed plastic jiffy bag would have been preferable?

And planting a suggestion that the OP and the driver might be in on the theft? Not a great look.

I hope it all works for both of you. It's messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Packaging is everything. Wallpaper? Easily ripped by anything it catches.

It's easy in hindsight, but surely a sealed plastic jiffy bag would have been preferable?

And planting a suggestion that the OP and the driver might be in on the theft? Not a great look.

I hope it all works for both of you. It's messy.
    I used industrial tape so it was secure, far too big for a Jiffy bag.

I take your point, and not accusing anyone of anything. It wasn't my choice to make this public.

Indeed if the OP hadn't of mention it, I never would have known. I suspect the only answer is for me to take the hit. But I have to rule out the obvious.
    Last edited by Juice; 17th September 2022 at 10:36. Reason: grammar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I used industrial tape so it was secure, far too big for a Jiffy bag.

I take your point, and not accusing anyone of anything. It wasn't my choice to make this public.

Indeed if the OP hadn't of mention it, I never would have known. I suspect the only answer is for me to take the hit. But I have to rule out the obvious.
    That silver tape is very easy to tear by the light fingered, and in a nice straight line as well, just about the worst tape to use for the postal system.

I did 15 years as a Royal Mail Mgr in my ‘first career’, and a bit of that was working with the investigation branch to catch thieving posties. I was always impressed by the ingenuity and perseverance of some of them, and trust me they knew exactly what size and weight boxes to target, even if they were wrapped so no logos were visible.

Best of luck with the claim etc, never a nice thing to have to try and sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    That silver tape is very easy to tear by the light fingered, and in a nice straight line as well, just about the worst tape to use for the postal system.

I did 15 years as a Royal Mail Mgr in my ‘first career’, and a bit of that was working with the investigation branch to catch thieving posties. I was always impressed by the ingenuity and perseverance of some of them, and trust me they knew exactly what size and weight boxes to target, even if they were wrapped so no logos were visible.

Best of luck with the claim etc, never a nice thing to have to try and sort out.

Thank you buddy......It will get resolved so the OP is happy.

In my old job I was often impressed with the ingenuity too........Does make you a cynic though.

Hope you get sorted, Jon and that you have a speedy resolution.

Must admit it is always a fear that something goes missing when I buy or sell. Thankfully such situations have been rare and only on one occasion has a watch gone astray. Seller immediately refunded me and followed up the claim his side. I was extremely thankful for such integrity but can’t deny I felt incredibly awkward that the seller was in this position, especially given the fact he’d reached out to offer me a watch he wasn’t actually selling but knew I’d owned it before and regretted the sale. To this day I’ve never forgotten his kindness. Anyway the claim was duly settled and the watch deemed lost or stolen in transit.
    Last edited by RLE; 17th September 2022 at 11:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, however by refusing the delivery it has apparently invalidated any claim. I must admit I would have done the same as OP
    Really? How can the insurance be invalidated by the actions of the recipient over which the sender has no control?

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Probably not the best choice of words then.......

In all seriousness hope you get sorted, Jon and that you have a speedy resolution.

Must admit it is always a fear that something goes missing when I buy or sell. Thankfully such situations have been rare and only on one occasion has a watch gone astray. Seller immediately refunded me and followed up the claim his side. I was extremely thankful for such integrity but can’t deny I felt incredibly awkward that the seller was in this position, especially given the fact he’d reached out to offer me a watch he wasn’t actually selling but knew I’d owned it before and regretted the sale. To this day I’ve never forgotten his kindness. Anyway the claim was duly settled and the watch deemed lost or stolen in transit.
    Your right and I've amended my wording. Poor bloke doesn't deserve such inference based on my bad career choice.lol.

I appreciate your kind words, and In the short time ive been processing this I'm inclined to do the noble thing also.

Your right and I've amended my wording. Poor bloke doesn't deserve such inference based on my bad career choice.lol.

I appreciate your kind words, and In the short time ive been processing this I'm inclined to do the noble thing also.
    I have edited my post to remove the relevant quotes.

Can see from the way you are discussing the issue on this thread, it’s clear you are a decent chap. Only reason I mentioned and reflected on my experience was to suggest the buyer probably feels just as bad. For what it’s worth and for clearer context, my watch had been shipped from the Netherlands to the UK and had gone missing before any attempts at delivery so the claim was, by all accounts, a little easier to progress.

Best of luck.

Thank you buddy......It will get resolved so the OP is happy.

In my old job I was often impressed with the ingenuity too........Does make you a cynic though.
    Cheers Jon. Thank you. I’ve sent you my bank details. I really hope you get reimbursed fully.

Master
    Really? How can the insurance be invalidated by the actions of the recipient over which the sender has no control?
    This, especially as a previous poster with 'inside experience' suggested otherwise. Who has advised that the claim was invalidated by the delivery person taking the package back to 'show his boss'?

I strongly suspect that was nonsense, given the contract exists between sender and courier, not recipient.

The seller should refund pure and simple. Then take the battle up with the courier and hopefully get the value back if the right insurance was used.

The mere suggestion that the buyers integrity is under suspicion for a parcel he didn’t even accept from the courier is cast iron proof that he made the absolute right decision to reject the delivery. Imagine how this conversation would look if he had accepted the delivery then claimed he received an empty parcel?

I strongly suspect that was nonsense, given the contract exists between sender and courier, not recipient.

The seller should refund pure and simple. Then take the battle up with the courier and hopefully get the value back if the right insurance was used.

The mere suggestion that the buyers integrity is under suspicion for a parcel he didn’t even accept from the courier is cast iron proof that he made the absolute right decision to reject the delivery. Imagine how this conversation would look if he had accepted the delivery then claimed he received an empty parcel?
    Precisely. 100% the correct thing to do here. All this talk of “evidence” in the wrong hands etc isn’t helpful, buyer has photographs of the damaged/empty parcel and crucially proof that it wasn’t accepted by him.

I hope the seller has done the right thing and sent the buyer a refund?

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    A little late, but surely RMSD would have been best. I send everything valuable that way regardless of cost
    +1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Yeah I know. I said to the driver can’t you see the box has been cut open. He said no.
    Unbelievable.
    He said NO?

The delivery guy must be thick as a brick then! Stevie Wonder could see that package has been hacked open!

Master
    Blog Entries

Agreed, as the delivery was refused this will be a return to sender case then the sender will have all they need to make a claim.

The sender has not stated if the parcel was correctly insured in the above, I hope it’s was as then there seems to be no real issue.
    Last edited by Montello; 17th September 2022 at 20:45. Reason: Typo

Master
    I get the sneaky feeling that it wasn’t insured properly.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I get more than a whiff of something not quite right with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I get the sneaky feeling that it wasn’t insured properly.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Even if it wasn’t, that doesn’t affect the underlying claim/issue, insurance just provides peace of mind if the courier cocks it up or something happens in transit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    i dont see how this is the OPs issue at all really, until the goods are in his hands in good condition the sale isnt completed.

pain for the seller though,
    I never said it was, I said it was hassle ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Even if it wasn’t, that doesn’t affect the underlying claim/issue, insurance just provides peace of mind if the courier cocks it up or something happens in transit.
    If it wasn’t insured, then there really isn’t a claim to be made is there?

I can confirm it was indeed……Un-insured.

Literally couldn’t be any worst….And can’t even speak to anyone at parcel force until Tuesday

Serviceexpress48
    within 2 working daysCompensation cover*£100Post Office® Prices from£8.95Online Prices from**£8.00

Correction it’s covered up to £100 pounds
    Last edited by Juice; 18th September 2022 at 12:25.

Literally couldn’t be any worst….And can’t even speak to anyone at parcel force until Tuesday.
    Any chance of my £800 back please?

Literally couldn’t be any worst….And can’t even speak to anyone at parcel force until Tuesday

Serviceexpress48
    within 2 working daysCompensation cover*£100Post Office® Prices from£8.95Online Prices from**£8.00

Correction it’s covered up to £100 pounds
    All so easily avoided if you had sent insured, instead of choosing to take that risk yourself. Hopefully lesson learned. But, that shouldn't delay the OP's refund.

I won’t thank you for stating the obvious,

The OP should be refunded….of that I agree.

You are all so very lucky to think of 800 pounds as a trivial amount. The whole reason I sold it was to raise funds. I stupidly used the money to buy my daughter the iPhone 14 for her Birthday . So as we speak I am trying to sort something ,

The snobby crowd need not comment or judge.

I could quite easily piss off, but I’m not a coward . I’ll happily shed my vanity and ego and admit I’m not as wealthy as the average TZer

If it wasn’t insured, then there really isn’t a claim to be made is there?
    There could be between seller and shipper depending on their terms, possibly no. But between buyer and seller yes.

Master
    Not sure why Lenlec hasn’t been reimbursed yet. He hasn’t pulled a fast one on the seller who decided to skip the insurance and has now discovered exactly why it’s so vital. When we sell items on SC we shouldn’t commit the funds elsewhere until we know the buyer is happy. Not a case of being wise after the event, either.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 18th September 2022 at 12:56.

You are all so very lucky to think of 800 pounds as a trivial amount. The whole reason I sold it was to raise funds. I stupidly used the money to buy my daughter the iPhone 14 for her Birthday . So as we speak I am trying to sort something ,

I could quite easily piss off, but I’m not a coward . I’ll happily shed my vanity and ego and admit I’m not as wealthy as the average TZer
    Jon. Thankyou
    If it helps. I can wait a few days for you to get the £800 together ?
    Andy

Len ….You have been nothing but kind, honest and now classy…..I’ll get it sorted somehow mate…..

I am so angry at myself…..
    I am genuinely so sorry this has happened.

Well said both of you, hope it works out as well as it can.

As to stating the obvious, insurance wasn't that obvious to you at the time. As to not being as wealthy, I'm not the one buying Louis Vuitton.

However, that said, well done in advance for doing for honourable thing with the OP. And good luck getting your £100 from PF.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    There could be between seller and shipper depending on their terms, possibly no. But between buyer and seller yes.
    There is no claim or insurance between the buyer and seller.
    Lenlec bought and paid for the item in good faith. The item was stolen in transit which has nothing to do with Lenlec. The seller needs to accept that he made a mistake in not insuring the item for the amount it sold for and give Lenlec a refund.

There is no claim or insurance between the buyer and seller.
    Lenlec bought and paid for the item in good faith. The item was stolen in transit which has nothing to do with Lenlec. The seller needs to accept that he made a mistake in not insuring the item for the amount it sold for and give Lenlec a refund.
    He's said he will, why not let it lie?

Master
    The seller needs to accept that he made a mistake in not insuring the item for the amount it sold for and give Lenlec a refund.
    From reading the sellers comments above, this appears to be already accepted

Master
    I wonder if a claim in small claims could be in order. Ultimately it was stolen whilst in PF care and almost certainly by one of their employees

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I wonder if a claim in small claims could be in order. Ultimately it was stolen whilst in PF care and almost certainly by one of their employees
    Yes, surely they should be responsible for something in their care. Why has insurance become a virtual necessity?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    He's said he will, why not let it lie?
    Read all my posts and who they were too. I wasn’t talking to the seller, my post quoted another poster who seemed to suggest that there was some sort of claim between the buyer and seller. Legally there isn’t, but morally there is.