closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me decide.

Help me decide.

I have been looking for a sports/outdoor watch with ability to connect to my phone, the two that I have narrowed it down to are the Tag Heuer connected and the Tissot T Touch solar expert (if I can find a new one) does anyone have any of these and can give some positives or negatives about each one, I have been Googling for what seems eternity, and not a lot about both side by side.
    Or should I just stay with a conventional auto and forget the tech?
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 16th September 2022 at 09:17.

I have thought about a smart watch for a while, I even bought the Mrs an Apple Watch so I could have a good look at it

I think the Tag looks quite nice and seems to be good quality. That said I like the Idea of the smart Alpina watch that seemed a nice half way house solution.
    But after lots of back forth I was finally put off the idea for the following reasons

1. They become obsolete very quickly, there is always a new one about to be released
    2. The idea of being connect to tech all the time became really off putting for me emails grrrrr!
    3.the constant need to charge the things

I will stick with a normal watch I think
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th September 2022 at 14:09.

I’ve had a Tag connected which didn’t have a great battery life and isn’t really suitable for being knocked about.

My brother gave me an Apple Watch which I use on a Spigen strap which is much better. I don’t really like smart watches and switch back to mechanical when I’m not working.

Casio also do connected G-Shocks for rugged.

It’s an SE so older tech now but I don’t worry about tech having to be up to date as it still does the job it always did, it just doesn’t have some of the latest distractions.

Master
    How about something like the Garmin Fenix 7 Pro or the Garmin Epix 2 (which has the AMOLED screen)?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    How about something like the Garmin Fenix 7 Pro or the Garmin Epix 2 (which has the AMOLED screen)?
    The wife has the Garmin and I am not too keen, even the alert is annoying, she knocked it in her sleep and my phone woke me to tell me she needed help...........grrr

What do you actually want? A smart watch, a fitness watch, a step tracker, an in between?

Garmin or Withings would be my picks.

I have a Vivosmart 5 rubber band type thing for one wrist and a real watch on the other. Notifications only on for phone calls and SMS.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6 which I used with the GPS for cycling and long forest walks. Same notifications as above.

My wife has a Withings watch which is very discreet and mostly looks like a normal watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What do you actually want? A smart watch, a fitness watch, a step tracker, an in between?

Garmin or Withings would be my picks.

I have a Vivosmart 5 rubber band type thing for one wrist and a real watch on the other. Notifications only on for phone calls and SMS.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6 which I used with the GPS for cycling and long forest walks. Same notifications as above.

My wife has a Withings watch which is very discreet and mostly looks like a normal watch.

Will check Withings now

Checked and not keen.
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 16th September 2022 at 10:50.

Journeyman
    Funnily enough I bought a Tissot T-Touch Connect Solar on Wednesday. Managed a 15% discount from Ernest Jones in Birmingham.
    I didn't want a 'smart watch' and wasn't interested in helath / heart / sleep tracking.
    As you probably know it's a Hybrid watch with ABC Sensors and is ideal for outdoor use on my walks . It's also a nice looking watch for everyday casual use.

Positives
    Solar powered and is meant to last six months on a full charge! I haven't charged mine yet and its still full!
    Well built and finished
    Legible dial
    Really like the touch screen (it does lock to prevent accididental use)
    Nice range of strap and bracelets and case finish. I went Black PVD coating and Black rubber strap
    Very user friendly and the button pushes follows a logical sequence
    Comfortable on wrist. Lightweight Titanium case

Negatives
    Terrible app (see Google Play reviews!)
    Fiddly to set up and initially connect to phone
    Terrible connetivity - keeps losing connection with phone
    It's a big watch, but I guess that's to be expected for an outdoor activity timepiece
    Step tracker doesn't seem very accurate. I may try to calibrate by changing my height on the menu!

Overall, I like it! Very positive so far.
    Not overly concerned about the app as you can just use the watch without the app if you want to. To be fair, Tissot issue regular updates to the software so the connectivity issues may get sorted at some point.
    Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Funnily enough I bought a Tissot T-Touch Connect Solar on Wednesday. Managed a 15% discount from Ernest Jones in Birmingham.
    I didn't want a 'smart watch' and wasn't interested in helath / heart / sleep tracking.
    As you probably know it's a Hybrid watch with ABC Sensors and is ideal for outdoor use on my walks . It's also a nice looking watch for everyday casual use.

Positives
    Solar powered and is meant to last six months on a full charge! I haven't charged mine yet and its still full!
    Well built and finished
    Legible dial
    Really like the touch screen (it does lock to prevent accididental use)
    Nice range of strap and bracelets and case finish. I went Black PVD coating and Black rubber strap
    Very user friendly and the button pushes follows a logical sequence
    Comfortable on wrist. Lightweight Titanium case

Negatives
    Terrible app (see Google Play reviews!)
    Fiddly to set up and initially connect to phone
    Terrible connetivity - keeps losing connection with phone
    It's a big watch, but I guess that's to be expected for an outdoor activity timepiece
    Step tracker doesn't seem very accurate. I may try to calibrate by changing my height on the menu!

Overall, I like it! Very positive so far.
    Not overly concerned about the app as you can just use the watch without the app if you want to. To be fair, Tissot issue regular updates to the software so the connectivity issues may get sorted at some point.
    Good luck with your choice!

I am edging towards the Tissot as the Tag seems to be trying to muscle in on the iWatch and Android market, as you say the Tissot is a hybrid watch so I wont get bored with it in a day or two, do you know the difference between the Solar and the solar expert, it only appears to be dial style?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    I am edging towards the Tissot as the Tag seems to be trying to muscle in on the iWatch and Android market, as you say the Tissot is a hybrid watch so I wont get bored with it in a day or two, do you know the difference between the Solar and the solar expert, it only appears to be dial style?
    Sorry I may be wrong but I thought the 'Expert' was an old model. Certainly wasn't offered it at Ernest Jones!
    I don't think you will disappointed with Tissot, but prepare frustration with the app!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Sorry I may be wrong but I thought the 'Expert' was an old model. Certainly wasn't offered it at Ernest Jones!
    I don't think you will disappointed with Tissot, but prepare frustration with the app!!

I have just checked and you are correct Wolfman53, the latest is the solar 2, now all I need to do is decide which colour and do I want a strap or bracelet..........decisions, is there an option for both a strap and bracelet I wonder ;-)

Journeyman
    Yes, there are plenty of options. You can even go bling with the Gold PVD!
    Tissot sell leather and rubber straps on their website for the T-Touch. Not sure about the bracelet.
    I was going to change my rubber strap over to a Barton but the Tissot is actually a decent strap.
    The watch end of the strap is curved and the thickness appears to taper from watch to buckle.

I think the Tissot is the one, going to see if the deal is still on at Goldsmiths and see if I can blag me a Mont Blanc pen in the process

Update: forget Goldsmiths, the watch is over the £1000 threshold, but isnt in the pen giveaway, will look for one elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 17th September 2022 at 14:07.

Journeyman
    Is that on the bracelet?
    I paid 799 on rubber strap at Ernest Jones, which is 15% off.
    I was offered the same price online with first class watches.

Yes £1025 on Ti bracelet I have been talking to the virtual assistant, that turned into a real person after 2 minutes and she says if I order it, she will put a Mont Blanc pen in the order when I give her my order number.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    Yes £1025 on Ti bracelet I have been talking to the virtual assistant, that turned into a real person after 2 minutes and she says if I order it, she will put a Mont Blanc pen in the order when I give her my order number.
    Just to let you know that mapping currently isn't available for outdoor activities on the Android app. I wasn't aware of this!
    I think Tissot are hoping to include this on a future update to the app.
    Disappointing, but I have still enjoyed wearing the watch this week on holiday!