closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a single “keeper” watch?

Do you have a single “keeper” watch?

The one that will stay even when all the others have gone?
    This is mine. Recently through the hands of the legendary Peter Roberts and now sweet as a nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I keeping wearing this one. It goes to the office, it has been swimming, it has been flying, it pretty much does everything I want and I love how it looks.

0 60 ford edge

Unfortunately not, flipperitus has well and truly seen to that. I’ve also owned and sold about half a dozen grail watches, which sort of says everything about grail watches

Grand Master
    My philosophy is the total opposite of the flippers. Consequently I own several watches that are keepers, but it’s taken 20+ years to put my collection together.

Craftsman
    This may not be the answer the OP was asking for but I have five that will NEVER leave the collection.
    Three are Omega but don’t read too much into that. A vintage Seamaster and Tudor were inherited an SMP and AT were landmark gifts and a Glycine Airman I bought with an inheritance.

At the moment I have about ten, at minimum, that I don’t envisage selling. Three Rolex, three Tudor, two Omega and a couple of JLC.

Craftsman

The second of my vintage keepers.

I’ve never sold a watch yet.

If I sold them, the proceeds would help me fund new purchases.

But even if I don’t wear them that often, it’s nice to keep putting them back on every now and then.
    Last edited by MDSWATCH; 18th September 2022 at 20:25.

It would be this one, purely because it was bought on our honeymoon, so it has sentimental attachment for the wife as well, it does make a good all rounder, working well on the bracelet, leather and can manage a nato or canvas as well.

I have around 20 watches, and the great majority are keepers. There are about 5 that I may sell for something else, so last man standing is more like a team of 15.

D

Blog Entries
    This will always stay - bought in memory of my Mum from last cheque via probate

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    A damn fine watch. I hope you're feeling well.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Of all my keepers this is my definition of keeper.
    Let's just say we go a long way back

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    mine is my Omega Seamaster 300m co-ax 2220.80 from 2006.....this is definitely staying.

For me it would have to be my 5513 from 1981 which, when I bought it 9 years ago this month, came with a NOS Tropic 19 Superdome crystal as well as a period-correct NOS 93150 bracelet. The dial is perfect, with gorgeous lemon-coloured plots and the hands are absolutely free of any corrosion.

It’s actually a Mark IV maxi dial, for anyone interested. Aside from the serial range being a pointer its recognisable by the sans serif font, the size and position of the plots and the relative positioning of the bottom text (and specifically the “=” symbol). It also has a beautifully faded Mk III fat font insert, which whilst being a little early to be absolutely correct for the watch gives it an appearance that I think is quite sublime.

My 14060M bought new in 2004 from then Leslie Davies in Portsmouth think it is now Ernest Jones, it's been on my wrist when I was in Asia for a year diving, has a lot of sentimental value now regardless of the increase in value.

I look back on some of the places I wore it and the nights I had out and wonder how it stayed on my wrist!
    Last edited by Bruce; 16th September 2022 at 08:06.

Master
    I only buy a watch if I want it which means I have no intention of ever selling it. I only have eight watches so it's not as if they are taking up space in the house.

My daily beater in the UK is the Explorer1 and for Spain I will wear a 1986 Omega Constellation which will be of no interest to a Rolex ripper.
    Last edited by Mick P; 16th September 2022 at 09:13.

Master
    I do, this...

I love everything about it and it's my most worn piece. Others have come and gone but this has stayed throughout.

Master

Omega Bond

My 1st quality watch and got me started- bought with some money left to me by my grandad
    SMP by biglewie, on Flickr

My 1980 Rolex GMT-Master, bought new. It is a ‘life & career’ watch, and a daily wearer for years.

Never sell it.

I've a few I can't see me parting with, but the only absolute 100% 'keeper' is the watch my parents bought me for my 21st.

A gold Jaquet-Droz dress watch (from before the brand was a high end one!).

I don't really like yellow gold at all and it's too small (around 34mm) to wear regularly, but it's worn on family events and the like and I'll never sell it.

At one point, when watches were just something to tell the time with for me, I wore it as my daily on a NATO!

Despite pushing 40 and never having had a service, it still keeps good time.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

From my current 3 watch collection, I'd say 2 are currently keepers.

The Seiko Arnie - bought my dad when I was born, I passed to me on my 18th. The true beater in my opinion.

Next my daily BB58, bought when my daughter was born, so has sentimental value, as well as IMHO being GADA.

Master
    I have 2. Neither of which get worn much. First was an 18th present from my Nan and the other is the watch i was wearing when I got married. I don't really like it anymore to wear but its worth so little Id never sell it now.

A recent addition (bought off SC), but probably the only one I would never sell. Perfect lume plots, matching hands and pip, decent lug thickness and what appears to be a ?T19 superdome. I doubt I’ll find anything close to this even at top dollar.

Last edited by kinyik; 16th September 2022 at 11:57.

Master
    I have about 14 watches, only 2 or 3 of which I would ever envisage flipping.
    Most are keepers to be left to my son unless of course some unexpected financial catastrophe hit me or the family, or I seriously fell out of love with the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    My 1980 Rolex GMT-Master, bought new. It is a ‘life & career’ watch, and a daily wearer for years.

Never sell it.

Lovely watch, at the time did it feel like a indulgence?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Lovely watch, at the time did it feel like a indulgence?

In a way, yes. I bought it at a ‘proper’ seafarers’ tax-free store in Rotterdam. Cost me Ł208 (UK price was Ł500 at the time, I think).
    Colleagues said I was mad paying that sort of money, but to me having seen all the ads in Nat Geographic etc - it was a classic design.

It was always going to be a ‘lifetime’ watch, I think.

Paid around Ł18 duty on it (as I followed the customs officers’ lead of - “Nice watch, but I wouldn’t have paid Ł208 for it”, and eventually paid the Ł18 on a ‘more realistic value’ of Ł150. )

Back then I think I might have been on a salary of Ł5,000, but being at sea - could save well.

My Seiko Bullhead bought 4yrs previously - first ‘decent’ watch, is still with me too.

Master
    This was my first Panerai, purchased in 2009, and it has been around the world with me. At 40mm it is a little small for my current taste, but I still wear it quite a lot, and it would be the last one to go.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

A have a few watches with a single keeper on the strap:-)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In a way, yes. I bought it at a ‘proper’ seafarers’ tax-free store in Rotterdam. Cost me Ł208 (UK price was Ł500 at the time, I think).
    Colleagues said I was mad paying that sort of money, but to me having seen all the ads in Nat Geographic etc - it was a classic design.

It was always going to be a ‘lifetime’ watch, I think.

Paid around Ł18 duty on it (as I followed the customs officers’ lead of - “Nice watch, but I wouldn’t have paid Ł208 for it”, and eventually paid the Ł18 on a ‘more realistic value’ of Ł150. )

Back then I think I might have been on a salary of Ł5,000, but being at sea - could save well.

My Seiko Bullhead bought 4yrs previously - first ‘decent’ watch, is still with me too.
    Wonderful, thanks for sharing that story, it's been on a lot of voyages and adventures with you no doubt.

I was going to say, “no” thinking I have at least 8 that I would like to think are long termers so to speak. I then recalled selling most of my collection off five or so years ago, keeping just a Tag Super Pro and my dads old Timex (that I still need to get fixed).

Not sure why I kept the Tag other than I’d searched for a while to get one in really good condition. That said it survived the cull when I had lost interest in the hobby and made the decision to keep just one piece. A subconscious choice at the time but giving it some hard thought now, and if I had to single out one, I think it would probably be the same watch. Maybe.

I’’ve got a seiko kinetic which was a graduation present from my parents. Also happened to be wearing it when my kids were born. Doesn’t get worn much at all now but a keeper.

Can’t see the speedy going either. Gets worn a lot and like the idea of it being passed down one day.

Also the FXD is getting a lot of wrist time now. Doubt that will go.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My 14060M.
    Bought still stickered in 2014.
    When my mother died she instructed me to consolidate her jewellery as she knew I would never wear it and buy a watch that I would wear.
    I dont wear it very often as its still sore but its just not for sale ever.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega Seamaster – 1965 – Grandad’s Watch

Refurbed and serviced by Paul Walker …

I have three: one a gift from my wife, one a gift from my mother and one I inherited from my father.

In truth I rarely wear any of them, if ever but they stay as mementos.

Everything else is expendable. I’m currently considering selling what I thought was my never-seller. The hobby is meant to be fun and in my mind, as soon as something loses its appeal, it’s fair to move it on.

Yes for me Daytona 116520
    Got it new 2010. Won’t sell it

I sometimes wish it was a single "keeper", but there's several that I would not be willing to let go -

The Seiko dates from 1979 and was a present from my mum. I have nothing else left from that time, we had very little money, and she will have scrimped and saved for some time to buy me that, perhaps in some faint hope that the desperately immature and dysfunctional 15YO me would mature into the watch... It needs servicing, as it chews through a battery in about 3 months, presently.

The Christopher Ward quartz chrono was a surprise 50th birthday present from my wife. It's themed for Campbell's 'Bluebird' WLSR car, something I've always loved since a visit to Beaulieu Motor Museum with my dad as a child. The detailing - like the tiny enamel bluebird inlaid into the crown - is amazingly good for what was a fairly affordable watch. I tend to wear it when my wife and I have our 'date nights' out from time-to-time.

The Edox moonphase was bought just a few years ago, from 'Drop' of all places, and so was absurdly cheap for what is actually a beautifully put-together watch. I have no occasion to wear dress watches nowadays, so most of its outings have been to funerals of friends and family, of which there has been a depressingly large number in recent years. Morbid though it sounds, seeing it brings people to mind whom I love and miss, and will otherwise never see again, and so I don't think I can let it go.

The Damasko DC-57 is here simply because it's the best all-rounder in my collection: hugely versatile, total strap-whore, practical, rugged, super-legible, handsome and by some margin my most-worn watch. When I can't make my mind-up - on this goes. Purchased from SC three years ago from an absolute gent.

The Omega PO is a much more recent buy, again from a lovely chap on SC, and was the fulfilment of a desire prompted by this model and its grey titanium sibling when they first appeared about five years ago. When my mum passed away back in June, she left a small legacy to me and my brother, and I decided a watch was a good way to carry a reminder of her around with me. She'd have liked the PO, she liked a bit of vibrant colour and some nice shiny bling, and it has both in spades. It tends to be a 'Special Occasions' watch, and thus lives in its beautiful lacquered box most of the time!

Guess I have no hope of ever being a one watch guy...

Sure.

Can't really imagine being without the classic steel Sub.

Out of 15 Rolex watches I've owned the 16610 classic Submariner is easily my all time favorite.

Master
    I can’t see myself ever selling this one. Most other watches could plausibly form part of a fevered scheme to upgrade. But here the man maths could never work, I’d be losing far more than I could possibly gain. Sometimes what something means to you personally has no relationship to its market value.

Birth-year 1956 DJ

Model 6605

My son bought me this for my 50th, 16 yrs ago, I only wear it for high-days and holidays these days.

There's some very slight wear on one side of the engine-turn, just shows what all
    those years of shirt-cuffs can do.

Master
    Maybe this but who knows

Craftsman
    Has to be this

Master
    Just this one...in fact i am down to three watches now as i have lost interest in the hobby.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 3, my dad and granddad's watches are low value but priceless, and I picked up my 114060 an hour before finding out uncle had passed, so that's not going anywhere if I can help it. The rest could come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I keeping wearing this one. It goes to the office, it has been swimming, it has been flying, it pretty much does everything I want and I love how it looks.

0 60 ford edge
    I’m with you brother, superb watch

This one

Yes , the one on the right.

This one will never leave me. Bought with the left over money from my Dads estate after I lost both parents suddenly over a 23 month period.

My youngest daughter (10) has put a claim on it saying she wants the watch after me because it reminds her of grandma and grandad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Model 6605

My son bought me this for my 50th, 16 yrs ago, I only wear it for high-days and holidays these days.

There's some very slight wear on one side of the engine-turn, just shows what all
    those years of shirt-cuffs can do.

Never seen this one before. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk