closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New ZRC Grands Fonds 38

New ZRC Grands Fonds 38

Basically an exact (bar the movement) reproduction of one of their 1968 pieces - they've done likewise with another 1960s model.

Stunning. Pics of both versions below although I think I'll go for the non shovel hand variant

https://zrc1904.com/product/gf38263/

The dot bezel is lovely.
    Should pull I finger out and buy one, no idea why I don’t really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The dot bezel is lovely.
    Should pull I finger out and buy one, no idea why I don’t really.
    I didn’t notice that when I first looked. It’s absolutely fantastic.

Very lovely. What price would that be in the Pounds Sterling (I guess there would be import duty too)?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Very lovely. What price would that be in the Pounds Sterling (I guess there would be import duty too)?

About £2800 imported

The design does nothing for me and the price is very toppy for what it is.

Few more pics of the 2 models. IMHO this has replaced the Tudor Pelagos 39 as the Diver I desire most. They've even replicated the presentation box and guarantee certificate of the 1960s version!

Last edited by ryanb741; 15th September 2022 at 23:16.

I like that. A bit more than I'd be happy spending though

Thanks Ryan - I definitely don't need another dive watch but I do like the dot bezel / numeral dial variant! I've always liked this design but have been concerned about the case size and the length in particular. The new size should fix this. Are there any retailers where a discount might be available or can you only buy direct?

In two words : that's expensive.

New ZRC Grands Fonds 38

I had one of the 40.5mm versions of the ZRC Grands fonds, I have to say it felt very well made and very solid. The bracelet, although of an acquired taste, is well made and had spring loaded links that feel very solid too (nothing flimsy).
    I am definitely tempted by one of these 38 (I think they actually are 39mm in diameter), not because the other ones were too big but because I like the version with the regular pencil hands.
    The only thing bugging me is the fact they didn’t keep the bevels on the case, which were helping the watch feeling a bit more refined and added some visual interest

Master
    Interesting watch which I like a lot. Not sure about the bracelet though.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Thanks Ryan - I definitely don't need another dive watch but I do like the dot bezel / numeral dial variant! I've always liked this design but have been concerned about the case size and the length in particular. The new size should fix this. Are there any retailers where a discount might be available or can you only buy direct?
    Yep I already messaged Ocarat in France as they routinely offer 10% off. As this is a new release it is not yet showing on their site however I am sure they will be able to get it as they are a ZRC AD. If that then came in at £2500 shipped with 10% off that is a great price for what is a refined and unusual watch that is very well made. I have had 2 Grands Fonds before and I love this vintage reproduction

Does anyone know the lug to lug length and thickness? And is it possible to wear straps on the watch or does the crown get in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Does anyone know the lug to lug length and thickness? And is it possible to wear straps on the watch or does the crown get in the way?
    If they do the same as the full size, there will be an optional kit which is basically consisting of an endlink at 6 to cover the crown and with a straight end which allows the use of a strap instead, that you can then use to wear 2 pieces straps (I wouldn’t try a one piece nato, that would look odd with the case design and endlink)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep I already messaged Ocarat in France as they routinely offer 10% off. As this is a new release it is not yet showing on their site however I am sure they will be able to get it as they are a ZRC AD. If that then came in at £2500 shipped with 10% off that is a great price for what is a refined and unusual watch that is very well made. I have had 2 Grands Fonds before and I love this vintage reproduction
    I’d be up for one at £2500 clear, I use to have the north adventure watch and was fantastic quality but the bracelet clasp was an awkward thing felt like you needed three hands to fasten, one thing which bothered me about the north and this dot bezel version is the lack of minute markers on the dial

These are definitely unique pieces that wear unlike anything else.

The price for new ones is high, yes, but try buying an original and the price for a new one seems reasonable. I sold my Series II (large hands) a while ago because it was too valuable to enjoy; I still have the Series III (narrow hands) that is still very valuable but I wear it regardless. I wore it today, as a matter of fact. They are chunky, bold pieces that stand out.

I would not hesitate to get one if I already did not own an original.

Blog Entries
    Ryan would you mind sending me details of Ocarat seeing as I’m in the EU and that watch looks very interesting! All the best. Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Ryan would you mind sending me details of Ocarat seeing as I’m in the EU and that watch looks very interesting! All the best. Martyn
    No probs it's this site

https://ocarat.com/

I've used them 7 times all fine. If you use the contact form they do have English speakers. Currently that watch isn't listed as something they sell but surely they will as they are a ZRC AD.

They are now available on the ZRC website, badly tempted…

https://zrc1904.com/fr/categorie/montres/gf-38-fr/

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    They are now available on the ZRC website, badly tempted…

https://zrc1904.com/fr/categorie/montres/gf-38-fr/
    They've been available there a couple of weeks now. Just got this from Ocarat - I'll wait until mid Oct as Ocarat will do 10% off always and that's then £2500 or so landed which is a great price for that watch

They've been available there a couple of weeks now. Just got this from Ocarat - I'll wait until mid Oct as Ocarat will do 10% off always and that's then £2500 or so landed which is a great price for that watch
    The way I understand it is that it was possible to order one but not to actually get it before now, it seems it is new that you now can buy it directly.
    But I might be wrong. The conclusion being that hopefully we soon see some of these popping in the new arrival thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The design does nothing for me and the price is very toppy for what it is.
    Agreed. Plus I don’t see any reason to locate the crown at the 6 marker.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Agreed. Plus I don’t see any reason to locate the crown at the 6 marker.
    Makes the crown be out of the way and naturally protected by the bracelet so you don’t knock it.
    Agreed though it’s an acquired taste

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    H2O/Helberg have a very similar watch for half the money.
    Bear in mind it is their original design, developed in collaboration with the MN.
    You will of course have to pay for it, just like you do when paying for a submariner despite many homages looking like it being available at a fraction of the price

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Do Triton not have the same design? There is also Anonimo who have the crown at 12
    Triton (on which the H2O is based) has a very similar design, but crown at 12, the endlink covering the crown is actually blending in the case, or is part of it (whereas the zrc’s endlink is actually just a simple flat link), and the dial on the Triton is more submariner esque.

It was commonly repeated by Triton fans that back in the days, the original triton was a quality piece, more expensive watch than the submariner.

Both triton and ZRC made their original design back in the 60s if I am not mistaken, so they (arguably) have heritage and legitimacy as opposed to newly founded micro brands.
    You will notice the use of “arguably” as I certainly don’t want to start here a debate on micro brands, revived brands etc…
    The triton reissues actually are really expensive and make the zrc look like a value proposition in comparison…arguably!

I got scammed out of a triton I sold on eBay lost the watch and my money

OK guys it's on Ocarat. Use the code WELCOME to get 10% off. Should come in at £2500 ish with VAT. Just ordered one.

https://ocarat.com/montre-grands-fon...zrc-96202.html

Don't forget to sign up to their loyalty scheme - works out at 5% of the sale value in points which you can use on future purchases - would pay for a Gshock for example outright

Breakdown of my costs below. 3 weeks delivery time as it's not officially released yet. Note every time I've bought a Grands Fonds there has always been a delay while they register the warranty- seems ZRC put it in their archive. The watches are great quality - easily superior to comparatively priced Breitlings and Tags for example
    Last edited by ryanb741; 21st September 2022 at 01:08.

OK guys it's on Ocarat. Use the code WELCOME to get 10% off. Should come in at £2500 ish with VAT. Just ordered one.

https://ocarat.com/montre-grands-fon...zrc-96202.html

Don't forget to sign up to their loyalty scheme - works out at 5% of the sale value in points which you can use on future purchases - would pay for a Gshock for example outright

Breakdown of my costs below. 3 weeks delivery time as it's not officially released yet. Note every time I've bought a Grands Fonds there has always been a delay while they register the warranty- seems ZRC put it in their archive. The watches are great quality - easily superior to comparatively priced Breitlings and Tags for example
    Nice which one did you go for? I’m extremely tempted by this

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Nice which one did you go for? I’m extremely tempted by this
    I went for this one

Size wise, this looks lovely, but I am with previous posters in missing the chamfers on the case edges, which really elevated the case above other, all brushed alternatives.
    I do think you went for the right option Ryan, the broad hands and dot bezel are real signature features.
    I look forward to seeing piccies when it gets here.
    D

I went for this one
    Lovely

I went for this one
    Best choice, absolute cracker of a watch!

This thread is killing me. I should not want another one (after owning the original) but do. I am actually considering going into debt to get one...

I think this will be the best version as from owning the north adventure version it wore big , I think this version will be perfect
    Noticed that this version doesn’t have the bezel cleaning hole like the bigger ones
    I would have been on this but holding on for a omega no time to die

Looks great, so much lume on those hands!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Beautiful watch, the crown at 6 is fantastic, bit i think is quite expensive

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app