closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patagonia.

Blog Entries

Patagonia.

Nice read today which doesn’t surprise.

My experience of the brand is faultless, earlier this year I ripped a hole in the sleeve of a hooded down sweater contacted them to suggest how to repair and response was to send it back to them for a postage paid free of charge repair. All about sustainability and keeping their clothing out of land fill.

Whole thing took about 5 weeks with regular updates from them.

Patagonia: Billionaire boss gives fashion firm away to fight climate change https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62906853

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

My experience of the brand is faultless, earlier this year I ripped a hole in the sleeve of a hooded down sweater contacted them to suggest how to repair and response was to send it back to them for a postage paid free of charge repair. All about sustainability and keeping their clothing out of land fill.

Patagonia: Billionaire boss gives fashion firm away to fight climate change https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62906853

Pitch
    Read that earlier too, hats off to him and agree about the brand, quality and doing more than it’s fair share i’d say.

Yeah I read that earlier also, agree with what's been said previously about him and the brand - an impressive deed in a world consumed by greed.

New York times article goes into a bit more detail:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/c...chouinard.html

His book 'let my people go surfing' is a decent little read and proves there's another way to do business.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great book that. Some pioneering stuff in it.

What a man, what a boss, what an inspiration!

Have to say, every item of Patagonia clothing I've owned has been spot on and has lasted years.

Kudos to the billionaire for helping to save the environment by producing millions and millions of items of clothing in Chinese factories to be shipped and sold worldwide

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    Product, customer service and ultimately the legend owner have all been way above anything I expected. Humbled with his decision, a very unique gent who has stood by the original values and not cashed out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very interesting.

Generally always liked their kit, although don't think their down stuff is that great.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Nice way to retain control of the company and exempt yourself from a $700m tax bill once you've already made your billions. Just the cynic in me.

I think that's great

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice way to retain control of the company and exempt yourself from a $700m tax bill once you've already made your billions. Just the cynic in me.
    So he gives away a company worth 3 billion to avoid a tax bill of 700m? I doubt/hope it isn't all a tax avoidance scheme.

Craftsman
    If only more billionaires did the same rather than buying football clubs!

Master
    Im sure 20 plus years ago Yvon Chirard ( or however its spelt) was giving 10% of pre tax profits or 1% of turnover to activists and environmental protesters. Product miles has also been a big thing , eg they source make and ship as close to their mkt as possible.

Also echo above I have two poplin shirts of theirs 25 yrs old , cant wreck them no matter how hard I try!

I bought a pair of these Iron Forge hemp pants a few years ago when they were £75.

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/produ...sport-workwear

They are super heavy duty and seem to be indestructible AND there's a free repairs service
    They are soft, comfortable, incredibly well thought out with pockets and gubbins and I am impressed.

They company branding and "kind to the planet" is just marketing crap, but the products are good. These were made in Sri Lanka, I doubt much of the current £110 purchase price goes to them. Why do you think the owner was so rich? if I was being Responsible I would grow cotton in my garden and get a bloke in the pub to make the trousers for me.
    Last edited by The Doc; 17th September 2022 at 11:19.

I have always tried to adhere to the concept of buying fewer things, and buying better quality.
    I have had (and still own) quite a few Patagucci things, from capilene underlayers (made from recycled fibres before it was at all fashionable and still fine, but superceded by merino in recent years) to fleeces, shells and trousers.
    All have been fantastic, and none have failed.
    I compare them to The North Face, who started with just as stellar a reputation for quality, and who now have demeaned themselves into a fashion brand. I know who I would prefer to spend my money with.
    D