closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EV Journey planning tips

Master

EV Journey planning tips

I am doing my first long journey in my EV this weekend and to say the least I'm a bit stressed out about it 🤣

Any tips for planning the journey to ensure I don't run out of juice?

It's about 160 miles each way, so I should be able to get to the destination with about 60 miles left. But I'd like a bit of contingency, as I will need some range at the destination, so would ideally like to top up at the 140 mile mark or so. Then probably another to up on the way home if needed.

I have various Apps (zap-map, wattup, ABRP) so should be able to find something but would like a firmer plan ideally, and just wondering what people are finding works best for them.

Do I need apps for the charging stations? Or can you just turn up and pay when done? E.g., Shell have their recharge app and a physical card, is that actually needed or is it a loyalty points thing?

All help, advice and experiences gratefully received

Blog Entries
    Been doing 200 miles from Suffolk to York over the past couple of years with no issues. Easily without a stop but I do stop at a Tesla SC en-route.

Yes, the public network can be a PITA but it has massively improved in the last couple of years with contactless rolling out on most of the new ones.

Use Zap-Map to plan and you can filter to show the quicker ones, 50’s should be enough whist using the gents and grabbing a cuppa.

You will be fine.

Pitch

I use ABRP but it usually just stop at a tesla SC when I need a wee. Gives it enough juice by the time you've finished up and bought a coffee.

Master
    Does your car not optimise the route to pickup charging points using remaining charge and minimal detours?

Journeyman
    Good luck on your EV travels.

I'm staying with my petrol car. Nothing at all against EV's, they can help reduce pollution in our cities, but to me, we are around 20 years too early on battery technology and potenrially more hope for hydrogen fuel cells on that timescale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighG View Post

I'm staying with my petrol car. Nothing at all against EV's, they can help reduce pollution in our cities, but to me, we are around 20 years too early on battery technology and potenrially more hope for hydrogen fuel cells on that timescale.
    Can you elaborate on why you think we are 20 years too early on battery technology?
    20 years ago (almost) if you wanted electric, you would be driving around in a G-Wiz which would give you 50 miles if you were lucky. Even just 12 years ago the Nissan Leaf had an official range of just over 100 miles. Today you can buy an EV that will easily top 300 miles.

Zap Map has a Journey Planner in which you can plot your route and indicate when you'd like charge and it'll show you everything in the area. I've done my first few long journeys recently and had similar worries, I simply stopped at a motorway services and plugged it in - nothing to worry about.

I have just been reminded of the early 1980s, in rural Bucks on my motorbike with a nearly empty tank, when some petrol stations closed on Sundays.

This ^^^
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I use ZapMap, filter to show only those 50kw or over and then try and find a charger that’s on my route where I can grab something to eat or do some shopping whilst the car is charging.
    When planning your route it is also worth weighing up whether to go with the shortest route which may take slightly longer in driving but which avoids the need to charge compared with a longer but faster route. EVs are much more efficient at A and B road speeds than they are at motorway speed so that’s another factor

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    did a trip to Holland last week and worked out ok.

If you load the Tesla app they now have many stations that charge non tesla cars, this will give you lots of extra options.

if you are charging, just get to approx 80% as after that the charge slows (you probably know this already)

does your car manufacturer app now have assistance for this? If not use the app suggested and filter out the low KW chargers

Master

unless you are one of the few people that regularly travels over 200 miles in a single trip then thats claptrap, sorry.

Blog Entries

I really cannot see this. After 30,000 miles there has been zero issues living with an EV and the majority of my journeys are not to the corner shop and back.

Putting the green agenda to one side (indeed if there is one) financially it’s a no brainier for our business and personally for the three of us that now have EV’s.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I don’t have an EV but the only tip I would add is to allow additional time for your journey. That would reduce my stress levels.

The key is to plan the stops and in my experience choose commercial stations with multiple chargers. Provided you don't expect to roll into an MWay services almost empty and charge then it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    I simply stopped at a motorway services and plugged it in - nothing to worry about.
    That's what my mate does in his MG Z EV
    from Surrey up to Darlington.
    No problems.