closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you buy a 2013 Rolex Sub with no box/paperwork.

Master
    Very difficult as could be an absolute bargain. I think I’d go for it subject to a thorough inspection.

Quick question to those in the know - are there super fakes of the pre ceramics?

I'd steer clear if I were you, OP - and stick with what you know (which doesn't sound like it's Rolex). Plenty of other good, and cheaper, watch brands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'd steer clear if I were you, OP - and stick with what you know (which doesn't sound like it's Rolex). Plenty of other good, and cheaper, watch brands out there.
    Thanks and in some cases perhaps better as well as cheaper Seiko comes to mind but it would still be nice to have the likes of a Sub as a beater

Update.

The owner texted today and asked if I could stretch to £6K for the sub, I replied if I was to pay the £6K I would like to borrow the watch for a couple of days to check it out before paying, as of yet no reply.

If he lets you borrow it, well worth getting it to Haywood, then you will know for sure one way or the other.

Don’t know where you are, but Haywood’s shop is just over the road from Lime Street Station in Liverpool.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    It’s a 16610, iirc these had finished by about 2011. IMHO one of Rolex’s very best. Even if it’s genuine it is pretty beaten up, and there is still the issue of being certain the seller has title.

If you bought it, it went to Rolex, and it wasn’t fake or stolen, it would need a £600 service, and they would want a crown, and a new clasp at the very least. With its hard life, I wouldn’t be surprised with new glass too. At least £1000, at least.

Would I?

If I was clear it was genuine, and the seller had title, I think I would. The issue is the moment you say:

“ I just want it checked by a Rolex expert”

“ I need the serial number so I can check whether it is lost or stolen”

Your relationship is broken. So I would leave it

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clasp May just need a blind pin. I’ve had one done on a datejust for about £20.

Journeyman
    I would buy at 5000 usd if I could get it independently authenticated first

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Update.

The owner texted today and asked if I could stretch to £6K for the sub, I replied if I was to pay the £6K I would like to borrow the watch for a couple of days to check it out before paying, as of yet no reply.
    Weren't you originally offered this at 5k gbp and now he wants 6k. Has he had it serviced by Rolex? If not, why the uplift when apparently the market has fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Weren't you originally offered this at 5k gbp and now he wants 6k. Has he had it serviced by Rolex? If not, why the uplift when apparently the market has fallen.
    Yes I was offered it a £5K but I did tell him that I thought it would be worth more if he had it serviced and he was going to make some inquiries so perhaps after making some inquiries he has been told £5K is under price ? I don't know, as apart from the text I havent heard from him.

Has the market fallen for subs ?

Master
    I don't know personally that the market has fallen for subs, just going on what can easily be read on this and other forums. Seems that it has not been serviced then? It's still a hmm.... for me. Your choice though op.

Looks like the op is considering buying for the sake of buying maybe because its a Rolex? Funds not readily available, no general idea on the watch itself. value or the market. I'd forget all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Looks like the op is considering buying for the sake of buying maybe because its a Rolex? Funds not readily available, no general idea on the watch itself. value or the market. I'd forget all about it.
    Not so much "buying for the sake of it" or because its a "Rolex" but more because I do have a little interest in watches in general and as I said it would be nice to have a daily wearer "beater" sub, it would give me a warm feeling :)

Funds could be readily available but I wouldent want to "waste" £5 or £6K as that would hurt/piss me off.

I don't have a great deal of idea about this specific watch but it would be the third Sub I have owned :)

Has for value I see what they are advertised for on the forums, TZ etc but what do they actually change hands for ? I don't know.

I may well forget all about it but then again I wouldent want to miss out on a "bargain" :)

Time will tell I imagine.

If you want a Rolex put up a WTB and wait for someone trusted to get in touch.

Buying a cheap watch like this has a 99% chance of ending in tears.

Nice one on SC at present. Tritium dial, lug holes in the case, original papers and a stunning bezel insert.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 1st October 2022 at 21:08.

[QUOTE=Wallasey Runner;6076188]Nice one on SC at present. Tritium dial, lug holes in the case, original papers and a stunning bezel insert.[/QUOT

But too nice too wear as a daily beater and I very much doubt he would take an offer of £5 or £6K for such a lovely piece (but if the seller would please pm asap).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    But too nice too wear as a daily beater and I very much doubt he would take an offer of £5 or £6K for such a lovely piece (but if the seller would please pm asap).
    You cannot be serious. No one is that thick.

It’s not 6 for the watch anymore it’s 7 if you include the service.

I think I’d walk on at 6+1.

Blog Entries
    Getting boring now.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you want a Rolex put up a WTB and wait for someone trusted to get in touch.

Buying a cheap watch like this has a 99% chance of ending in tears.
    I disagree. If due diligence is done it’s actually 99% chance it WON’T end in tears.

£6k and have a blind rivet in the clasp and a service plus polish and he’s still looking at change out of £7k.

Wear it for however long and lose nothing, in fact £8k is your starting point now for a 16610 so he’s up really. 2, 3, 5, 10 years down the line it could be worth substantially more, and likely if he needs cash at some point he could chop it in for at least what he paid for the package.

The gamble is only about provenance, that’s the 1% risk but with due diligence that could be completely negated.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I disagree. If due diligence is done it’s actually 99% chance it WON’T end in tears.

£6k and have a blind rivet in the clasp and a service plus polish and he’s still looking at change out of £7k.

Wear it for however long and lose nothing, in fact £8k is your starting point now for a 16610 so he’s up really. 2, 3, 5, 10 years down the line it could be worth substantially more, and likely if he needs cash at some point he could chop it in for at least what he paid for the package.

The gamble is only about provenance, that’s the 1% risk but with due diligence that could be completely negated.
    Agree in theory but Haywood is selling superfake bibles to jewellers and pawnbrokers who are being caught out so the average punter or even a keen WIS could easily be conned.

The #1 rule by country miles is always buy the seller and I'm a firm believer of that.

I've had a fair few Rolex but I've never handled a superfake and wouldn't fancy my chances.

Agree in theory but Haywood is selling superfake bibles to jewellers and pawnbrokers who are being caught out so the average punter or even a keen WIS could easily be conned.

The #1 rule by country miles is always buy the seller and I'm a firm believer of that.

I've had a fair few Rolex but I've never handled a superfake and wouldn't fancy my chances.
    There is (to me, at least) an element of “I can jump in on the Rolex wave - for a budget cost”

That - is risk taking, but hey! Not my risk to take.

Jump in - if it works out, You’ve won ………. If not, keep quiet about it and retain your dignity.

Master
    This is why I bought my 16610 from Haywood...

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    And one of the reasons I have serviced Rolex before selling……………

Blog Entries

As mentioned, due diligence. If you’re not confident, the risk increases exponentially of course.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Also bought my 16610 from Haywood, anecdotally. It was £8k and private sales were £7500+ so seemed like a no brainer

If I was offered one for 6k privately, the man maths cogs would have began to turn…..

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    As mentioned, due diligence. If you’re not confident, the risk increases exponentially of course.

Also bought my 16610 from Haywood, anecdotally. It was £8k and private sales were £7500+ so seemed like a no brainer

If I was offered one for 6k privately, the man maths cogs would have began to turn…..
    Haywood has one now for &9.5k. You bought well.

Update: The "deal" continued to drag on so I thanked the seller for the offer and withdrew my interest, I do still think it was ok but...........

If you ever do pony up and buy something you are going to get absolutely fleeced.

If you ever do pony up and buy something you are going to get absolutely fleeced.
    I very much doubt it as I will have bought it from Haywood :)