closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have car insurance prices rocketed

Have car insurance prices rocketed

Our Electric Jag is coming up for renewal, LV are quoting 30% more than last year, we have had a good look around, everyone else seems to be about the same.

Have they decided they don't like the car or are prices rocketing up?
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th September 2022 at 13:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My renewal is £14.00 more than last year,so not bad.

My LV renewal quote last month was £40 up on last year, £240 vs £200, jumped ship with someone new for £180, cheapest i've ever had i think

Mine came down by about a third, so quite the opposite for me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I'll keep looking, I'm wondering if they now have some history on the car and if they are very expensive to fix,

Blog Entries
    Pretty stagnant in my experience, renewals have been within 10% (+/-) for the 4 cars in our household.

Master
    Might be increased numbers of electric vehicles on the road means the chance of an accident in one is now greater than before??

Just renewed mine.

Up £12 on last year so didn't even bother shopping around.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    My wife insured her car last week, it went up £14 for the year. My motorbike insurance is next week and went down £18.
    A friends son works in insurance, only answering phones he isn’t in some fancy position, he says pan roofs have sent premiums up massively due to the price of glass and large number of claims. Apparently a pan roof can be thousands to replace. Electric cars have been costing them a lot too because if they catch fire it’s a total loss not to mention the third party damage that leaves behind to roads, buildings and other vehicles. So whilst the number of claims isn’t vast he says the cost of each claim can be eye watering. 🤷*♂️

Master
    I was told repairs have increased dramatically. And guess replacing write offs will have to

My ex-neighbour broke the rear glass in his almost-new Audi A5 convertible and it cost c. £5000 to sort out. The whole roof had to be replaced as Audi stated the glass could not be replaced on its own. Curious as to where I stood should the same thing happen to my Jaguar convertible I looking into my insurance policy (Admiral) and lo and behold:
    Under Windscreen Damage section:

2 What is not covered

We will not pay:

for replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet car when the glass forming part of it is not repairable
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My LV quote was up this year and I ended up going with a new online only company which was entirely owned by ...LV. Much lower premium - the cynic in me thinks they are quietly trying to push more business online only . Can't remember the company offhand but it won't be difficult to find on the web.

Just checked - the company I went with is Flow Insurance

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JonRA; 12th September 2022 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Our Electric Jag is coming up for renewal, LV are quoting 30% more than last year, we have had a good look around, everyone else seems to be about the same.

Not car related but our house insurance renewal quote from LV increased approx 80% from last year.

Needless to say we did not renew with them and went somewhere else for a £25 increase.

Our 3-car policy with Admiral Multicar jumped from c£800 to c£1200 this year. On the advice of a friend who is an insurance broker, I got a quote from LV=, which came in at c£600.

Craftsman
    Quotemehappy.com are LV online I believe They are online only. They have no phone number and you can’t haggle. They are a fixed price no messing online broker. Results are subjective but they don’t charge admin fees for swapping car or address because it’s online and needs no human intervention. Quite good cover levels too. I’m sure someone will say they do charge for car changes or something now but things change, I’m just saying I have not been charged in the past. They offer a £40 pa multi car discount too. Worth a look at least.

Not in my experience, my insurance seems a tag cheaper this year than the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    Quotemehappy.com are LV online I believe They are online only. They have no phone number and you can’t haggle. They are a fixed price no messing online broker. Results are subjective but they don’t charge admin fees for swapping car or address because it’s online and needs no human intervention. Quite good cover levels too. I’m sure someone will say they do charge for car changes or something now but things change, I’m just saying I have not been charged in the past. They offer a £40 pa multi car discount too. Worth a look at least.
    I had to leave them the second year as renewal was stupidly high after moving to multi car.

I had similar shock on renewal earlier in the year (not QMH). It was like they had a good couple years with no one driving due to COVID then everyone forgot how to drive the cars we have and put the prices up, even shopping around was very little in it.

Master
    My renewal fell from £398 to £331 this year. Falls every year with 1st Central.

Not bad for 25k miles, SDP&C plus business and carriage of goods on an M series BMW.

Surely can't get much lower than that though!

I thought QuoteMe was MoreThan?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My ex-neighbour broke the rear glass in his almost-new Audi A5 convertible and it cost c. £5000 to sort out. The whole roof had to be replaced as Audi stated the glass could not be replaced on its own. Curious as to where I stood should the same thing happen to my Jaguar convertible I looking into my insurance policy (Admiral) and lo and behold:

R
    I found the same clause when I first insured my rather more modest golf mk6 cabriolet - I wasn’t happy and ended up paying about £100 more for insurance without that clause. A new roof was £2500 although in the last year or so I’ve noticed there are 3rd party options available for around £1000. The glass is bonded to the fabric of the hood apparently hence the whole thing needs replacing if the glass is broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I insured with LV some years ago. I went through one of the comparison sites and got a quote for like for like insurance £40 cheaper with LV. Now I know that they are not supposed to do this now, but it would be worth checking.

Just renewed mine, stayed with Churchill and was £10 more expensive.

Master

LV did the same for my Cayman & Smart. They were cheapest last year, but Churchill now insured them for £170 each. I feel old getting a sporty car insured for so little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Might be increased numbers of electric vehicles on the road means the chance of an accident in one is now greater than before??
    But - They are insuring an individual risk, not the entire complement of EVs on the road.

The OP’s risk has not altered due to the number on the road.

Craftsman

We’re paying £325 for our I-Pace with Direct Line, other quotes on comparison sites were £600+.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But - They are insuring an individual risk, not the entire complement of EVs on the road.

The OP’s risk has not altered due to the number on the road.
    It may be that the Jag was a new car when we first got it, it may be that now they have some data the repair costs are higher than original estimates, we are not having much luck elsewhere,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Mine came down by about a third, so quite the opposite for me.
    My LV insurance went from 368 to 220 on the renewal. So cheap I didn't even bother doing a comparison.

It may be that the Jag was a new car when we first got it, it may be that now they have some data the repair costs are higher than original estimates, we are not having much luck elsewhere,
    That is probably the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    We’re paying £325 for our I-Pace with Direct Line, other quotes on comparison sites were £600+.

they quoted us £960 9 years + no claims

Master
    My renewal quote was £14 more than previous year, however, I managed to get £60 off by adding a named driver.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My renewal was £25 cheaper this year. I telephoned them to tell them my wife had now retired and it went down another £37

We paid £234 9 years plus NC 12 month old X3 2.0d M Sport
    Last edited by hilly10; 13th September 2022 at 10:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    they quoted us £960 9 years + no claims

I wonder if electric cars are dearer to insure across the board with them being a lot faster etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My renewal was £25 cheaper this year. I telephoned them to tell them my wife had now retired and it went down another £37

We paid £234 9 years plus NC 12 month old X3 2.0d M Sport
    When my dad retired his policy doubled. Apparently because he was now able to drive his car 24/7 if he wanted, the 6000 mile limit seemed to miss their attention then?! They said he was also more likely to drive in busy peak times now he wasn’t at work, surely when he was driving to and from work mid rush hour every day that was about as busy as roads get? They make it up to suit their pockets if you ask me.

I wonder if electric cars are dearer to insure across the board with them being a lot faster etc.
    I have an AMG GT, A modified Renault Sport Spider and a very modified 600 BHP Noble M400 all on the same policy with no restrictions for £1100, so the Current quotes for the I-Pace are taking the micky.

Grand Master
    Car insurance has never seemed fair, I said that aged 17 in 1975 and nothing changes, but it’s based on statistics which are generally very reliable. There will be reasons for charging higher premiums for
    EVs and they might seem odd, but I suspect cost of repair is a major factor. Most of the risk the insurer underwrites is for third party damage to people, that’s where the expensive claims come from, fixing/ replacing the bent metal has always been less significant but nonetheless its a factor. Contrary to public perception insurance companies do not make big profits on car insurance, they never have.

As ever, it pays to shop around, and it definitely pays to challenge a steep increase in renewal cost from the same insurer, sometimes a 10 minute conversation will get the numbers down. Talking seems to be going out if fashion, but trust me it’s a very effective means of communication when negotiating!

Master
    I swapped from diesel to an electric car which was much more valuable and the change was free of charge ( forgive the pun).

Significant increase in value. The electric car has a lot of safety and security, but the tech is very new and repairs are expensive so not sure how they worked it out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Car insurance has never seemed fair, I said that aged 17 in 1975 and nothing changes, but it’s based on statistics which are generally very reliable. There will be reasons for charging higher premiums for
    EVs and they might seem odd, but I suspect cost of repair is a major factor. Most of the risk the insurer underwrites is for third party damage to people, that’s where the expensive claims come from, fixing/ replacing the bent metal has always been less significant but nonetheless its a factor. Contrary to public perception insurance companies do not make big profits on car insurance, they never have.

As ever, it pays to shop around, and it definitely pays to challenge a steep increase in renewal cost from the same insurer, sometimes a 10 minute conversation will get the numbers down. Talking seems to be going out if fashion, but trust me it’s a very effective means of communication when negotiating!
    By way of illustration, I read the glass panoramic sunroof on an iX costs £18k for the part plus the fitting.

Master
    Mr's has just renewed. Her renewal quote was cheaper than last year and cheaper than any quote on a comparison site....which is a first for us!

Golf R went up £12 to £240-ish

Master
    Mine dropped to below £200 this year with LV. I was happy at first but then realised it’s because I’m old and drive a boring car!

Master
    Had to change insurer in late August as renewal offer was slightly more than last year. Did the price comparison sites and got it quite a bit cheaper. (Sainsburys Insurance, for what it’s worth.) The car's getting on a bit so not worth a massive amount and mileage these days is still less than it was pre-pandemic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    By way of illustration, I read the glass panoramic sunroof on an iX costs £18k for the part plus the fitting.

Don’t know how they can justify that. Absolutely ridiculous cost

I used to do quite a lot of work at the Webasto factory in Minworth they manufacture all the Pano roofs for Jaguar Land Rover Honda amongst others, the guy I know told me a full Pano roof for a Range Rover costs for them to build under 2k
    Last edited by hilly10; 13th September 2022 at 17:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Golf R went up £12 to £240-ish
    I wish mine was that...it's nearly double with 9 years NCD and no accidents or convinctions.

I do live in a nice area but right in the middle of two cities where the people like to come out at night and borrow my car while i am asleep

My Tesla Model 3 insurance has gone up from £719 to £1259 best quote! No accidents, 7 years NCB

Master
    Blog Entries
    Remember reading an article which pointed out that the Audis so beloved by thieves are cheaper to insure if you park them on the road as most thefts were from driveways.

We have just managed to prove something has changed with the post code, I did a quote on compare the market at a friends address 5 miles away and the price halved.

Moving house seems a bit extreme!

Craftsman
    We have just managed to prove something has changed with the post code, I did a quote on compare the market at a friends address 5 miles away and the price halved.
    Park at his house then cycle home !!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I used to have 2 addresses, legitimately, I stayed at both for a pretty even amount of time. I am unsure which of them was my legal main residence, I had bills at both etc, but I used to insure my cars at the cheaper one. Questionable I expect but I had to claim when a lady drove into my unattended car on a petrol filling station and they didn’t quibble. It didn’t even occur to me at the time about the address issue.

There is a vast difference between that and insuring a car at a friends address mind you.

I actually got a £70 reduction on my Classic Car insurance, but have seen a £300 increase in my house insurance.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche