closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Parking like a prat

Master

Parking like a prat

Pulled into a petrol station the other day (Cardiff West Services, so a busy forecourt) and spotted this bike parked like this.
    Selfish or just thoughtless?
    Feel free to add your own examples.
    Attachment 19712
    Extra photo added to show where he was parked
    Last edited by jaytip; 12th September 2022 at 13:02.

Probably a 4x4 driver on weekdays, and used to parking across 2x spaces.
    Or as mentioned above - he could have lined up next to someone parked across the bays, and filled the remaining gap.
    Last edited by Reeny; 12th September 2022 at 10:15.

Looks like he's considerately allowed space for people to park either side of him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    You don't know what was parked there when the motorcyclist parked.

In areas where there is no dedicated m/cycle parking it's a bit of a pain for a biker.

It's common enough for car drivers to park too close(most bikes have no reverse gear), whack the bike with a car door(they are easily knocked over if hit on the 'stand side'). Or even not see it altogether and just smash into the thing.
    That being the case why not just park in the middle of the empty bay? No chance of it being bumped by a car then, and as for a driver not seeing it, if a driver can’t see that big bike parked there then they shouldn’t be driving full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Or as mentioned above - he could have lined up next to someone parked across the bays, and filled the remaining gap.
    Would he not have been better off just using the whole empty bay to his right? Or failing that, park in a different bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Looks like he's considerately allowed space for people to park either side of him.
    That bike is too big for cars to fit either side of it and still allow that bike to manoeuvre out.

Was this in 1995? What's with the resolution on that photo???

Anyway, better that than right in the middle of the bay, I think and as someone said, who knows what was there when he parked.

At least another bike could share the bay.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Would be better in middle of bay. A car can't realistically safely park in the middle of those adjacent bays.

Hard to tell through binoculars !

No idea what was parked, where - when he arrived, is there?

This seems to be modern day road use, especially if you live inside the M25 - be as selfish as possible, only consider yourself. The other day I was in single carriageway traffic and an ambulance was on blues and two's. Everyone pulled to the side to let it through, then the guy behind me decided that it is a good opportunity to leap ahead by one car by instantly pulling out around me rather than allowing me my place in traffic. He was willing to risk me not being observant to him putting his foot on the accelerator and getting into a collision just to get one car length ahead! Always best to assume people are both stupid and selfish on the road.

Master
    Google YPLAC for some fine examples of inconsiderate parking......... I would normally put a link up, but as this is the G&D I'd better not

Master
    Blog Entries
    You don't know what was parked there when the motorcyclist parked.

In areas where there is no dedicated m/cycle parking it's a bit of a pain for a biker.

It's common enough for car drivers to park too close(most bikes have no reverse gear), whack the bike with a car door(they are easily knocked over if hit on the 'stand side'). Or even not see it altogether and just smash into the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Anyway, better that than right in the middle of the bay, I think and as someone said, who knows what was there when he parked.

M

Or he could of parked it like a prat!

Because then people moan that the 'biker is using up a whole space for 'just a motorbike'. Some places even ban motorcyclists from using 'car spaces' yet fail to supply bike dedicated parking.

You have clearly never ridden a motorbike for any length of time.

Bikers also park so they can see the motorcyle as they seem to be magnets for fools.

Most built car parks have slopes to drain water, a sensible 'biker has to consider exactly where to leave his 'bike so he/she
    can easily manoeuvre out without a reverse gear, in view, away from moving car drivers who reverse reliant on mirrors/parking aids
    who never look behind with their eyes.

Try sitting in your car for half an hour in a busy car park, it's an eye opener when it comes to the lack of skills when reversing. So yes... it's
    a risk leaving a 'bike in a bay for someone to reverse into it not expecting it to be there.
    I do agree a lot of motorbikes seem to be magnets for fools

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

That bike is too big for cars to fit either side of it and still allow that bike to manoeuvre out.
    That's his problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

I have to blame the TZ-UK app for the image.
    I usually use Tapatalk but it won’t let you post pictures now unless you sign up and I haven’t done so yet.

Master
    Because then people moan that the 'biker is using up a whole space for 'just a motorbike'. Some places even ban motorcyclists from using 'car spaces' yet fail to supply bike dedicated parking.

You have clearly never ridden a motorbike for any length of time.

Bikers also park so they can see the motorcyle as they seem to be magnets for fools.

Most built car parks have slopes to drain water, a sensible 'biker has to consider exactly where to leave his 'bike so he/she
    can easily manoeuvre out without a reverse gear, in view, away from moving car drivers who reverse reliant on mirrors/parking aids
    who never look behind with their eyes.

Try sitting in your car for half an hour in a busy car park, it's an eye opener when it comes to the lack of skills when reversing. So yes... it's
    a risk leaving a 'bike in a bay for someone to reverse into it not expecting it to be there.
    I have ZERO problem with a biker taking up a whole bay, but this guy has taken up two because a car can’t park safely on either side of him.

Not everyone is as laid back and easy going as you.
    Yep, some bikers are kn@bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yep, some bikers are kn@bs.
    Lol

Parked like an entitled prick. Had he/she/they/them parked in the middle of the bay, there would be no issues but effectively taking up two spaces is knobbishly knobby behaviour.

Craftsman
    Often thought about taking pics of badly parked cars here in Italy, but I'd never get any work done.

Master
    Had you considered he could of originally been one of 3 riders with one parked either side - 3 bikes 2 bays?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Had you considered he could of originally been one of 3 riders with one parked either side - 3 bikes 2 bays?
    Possibly, but there were no other bikes when I pulled up. I was waiting in the car while my family got some food and took a toilet break. We were done and away before that bike left. If he was going to spend so long in there after his mates had gone, why not just reposition the bike properly in the bay when the others left.
    Or, alternatively, as another poster pointed out, he could just be inconsiderate.

Isn't this just a bit of a...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Last edited by David_D; 13th September 2022 at 01:05.

Master
    Last edited by David_D; 13th September 2022 at 01:15.

Master
    And the winner is …

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Exactly what I thought. Most likely explanation.

And it doesn’t exactly look busy on the photos, with no other cars parked there!

If you head over to PistonHeads currently on Volume 4, page 551, is a thread called "The BAD PARKING thread" if you like that sort of thing...

Journeyman
    I have never had the urge to photograph a perceived bad parking event, then go onto Google and add that picture as well (with a helpful arrow) and add it onto a watch forum. Strange people about these days. Maybe they are missing something in their lives......

Why would someone park like that, when they could park sideways and block three spaces?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Maybe they are missing something in their lives......
    Which is what 99% of people would say about those obsessed enough with watches to participate in a forum on the subject.

Very dodgy ground criticising others before having a look in the mirror!!

I have never had the urge to photograph a perceived bad parking event, then go onto Google and add that picture as well (with a helpful arrow) and add it onto a watch forum. Strange people about these days. Maybe they are missing something in their lives......
    On Pistonheads there is a thread on bad parking which is currently at Vol 4, 550 pages, so quite a few people are missing something in their lives. I must be one of them.

Is it any different to people adding a photo of the watch they are wearing on a Friday thread for others to look at. Imagine explaining that to members of the public.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Is it any different to people adding a photo of the watch they are wearing on a Friday thread for others to look at. Imagine explaining that to members of the public.
    Exactly! I have various interests, including watches, that most people might find obsessive or “strange”!

As I’ve heard people say, Tim Berners-Lee has a lot to answer for!

Master
    Nothing perceived about it. It’s inconsiderate parking full stop. I added the Google earth photo as some commentators thought it might have been a regular car park and not a petrol station forecourt.
    Have you added a similar comment to the Nice Plate thread?

If something as insignificant as this gets you worked up like that you’re working yourself towards an ulcer.
    Assuming the guy was alone from the off, it’s no worse than 30-40% of car drivers using a public parking and getting a bit off center, touching or crossing a white line.
    Most parking spaces are too narrow for modern cars anyway. Irrelevant for a bike but a daily occurrence in a car.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If something as insignificant as this gets you worked up like that you’re working yourself towards an ulcer.
    Assuming the guy was alone from the off, it’s no worse than 30-40% of car drivers using a public parking and getting a bit off center, touching or crossing a white line.
    Most parking spaces are too narrow for modern cars anyway. Irrelevant for a bike but a daily occurrence in a car.
    It doesn’t get me worked up, but do I think it’s inconsiderate? Absolutely. In my first post I actually suggested people add their own photos (or some they have seen online) so that we can all have a chuckle at some ridiculous or selfish parking.
    I’ve owned 3 NSX’s over the years and I would never have dreamed of taking up two bays in them despite the possibility of a door ding being an expensive fix due the design of the doors and the fact they were aluminium.
    I was just hoping the thread would grow along the lines of the Good Plate thread.

People do park poorly, it is a fact. A little bit is down to incompetence at the wheel but mostly incivility.
    I actually class myself among those who are incivil: I usually shop at times when the supermarket is as empty as possible but almost always park in a family space. Possibly because I am a bit of a Richardhead, but mostly because I resent having to squeeze myself in and out of the car without damaging the one next to me because the size of parking spaces (and garages!) have not grown with the times like cars have. I therefore try not to inconvenience actual families (I park far from the shop and again at a quiet time) but like nothing better than an employee from Tesco (or a.n.other) saying something because it allows me to show them the errors of their way. In fact in my local Tesco they now say hello if they say anything
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman

Car Parks

Why does my wife think I'm parking at the back of the car park, well away from other cars, just to make her walk further!?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would never choose to park alongside a bike for fear of it falling in to my car. So if one parked in the middle of a bay I would consider the two bays either side as being out if bounds for me - but then I am an ‘anorak’ when it comes to keeping my car clean etc. I reserve my grumpy anger for people who abuse designated disabled or parent/child spaces. And the worst culprits? Yep chelsea tractors or under 25s who want to use the cash machine…..

Master
    I was told ‘your parking is typical of an obtuse bmw driver’ or something very similar. There were lots of cars parked there initially, mine was the last to go.

1.99 restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It was a note left on my windscreen. I don’t know if it was serious or someone taking the mick.

Not sure I understand. It looks parked bang in the middle of the bay to me??

Master
    It was very odd ! I assumed it was someone who knew me, but no one ever admitted it. I kept the note and have subsequently bought another bmw

Am I the only one who read this thread whilst humming “white lines” 😁

Kick the bike over next time and move on!

Not related to parking but funny - very funny, excuse the french as its the G&D -

Craftsman
    An interesting take, I know someone who buys two tickets in most Pay & Display car parks so they can park in both bays with no risk of their doors being hit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    An interesting take, I know someone who buys two tickets in most Pay & Display car parks so they can park in both bays with no risk of their doors being hit!

Would never have that would be acceptable but now presume it is? Might steal that idea it it really does work…

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Would never have that would be acceptable but now presume it is? Might steal that idea it it really does work…

Doubt it is. Many car parks specify that cars must be parked within the bays.

This one, maybe, has to take the biscuit....

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

As that’s a super expensive luxury sports car, it’s fine!

Craftsman
    Outrageous