closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: From flipper to one watch guy.

Blog Entries

From flipper to one watch guy.

Having seen it all I now just want one (maybe two) watch for all occasions.
    Having owned this one from new, one of the last ever made, it really gives me a smile when I strap it to my wrist every morning.
    Built quality and attention to detail are excellent and having finally received my 19mm Unckle Seiko rubber strap (Brexit makes buying from the UK a disaster and quite expensive) it's looking different yet again.

Last edited by Daddelvirks; 12th September 2022 at 08:56.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Very nice mate, I've gone from around 10 to 2 (well 4 if you count my G Shock and Fenix 6X Pro). Now seem to wear my SLA021J1 most of the time and my Planet Ocean for more special occasions.

I’ve also gone from a box full down to one watch, which I cannot wear at the moment as I have agreed a trade on it and once a deal is agreed it would be wrong in my eyes to continue wearing it.

One out, one in whilst retaining a balance of one…

Blog Entries
    Secretly I was always jealous of people (non wis) who bought one good watch and did everything with it without giving it a thought. My best friend's dad bougt one of the first titanium Breitling Chrono Avengers and really did everything with that watch, hunting, mountain climbing and survival stuff. After nearly 20 years he decided it needed a service although it was still running reasonably well!

Master
    Glad for you...i am down to three and probably one more to sell shortly.

I am wearing a smart watch more and more and after 20 years of buying and selling i think my interest is no longer in it.

crazyp has one of these and I was playing with it a while back. Superb quality and a great watch from an era when things weren't just churned out relentlessly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    crazyp has one of these and I was playing with it a while back. Superb quality and a great watch from an era when things weren't just churned out relentlessly.

Very true, with Seiko going global with the entire range the 'special' JDM models are often just the same watches with another dial, the really special models only for Japan are now as good as history sadly.

Well done and a top choice. I'm clearly a flipper and I know it's because I'm addicted to the buzz of a new arrival. There can't be much in my price range that I've not tried now so maybe, just maybe....

That’s a top pick. I don’t think I could go down to 1 but I’m convinced 3 is the right number. I’m down to 4 but two are being serviced and 2 in rotation is too few. Just need to decide what goes

Always liked that kinetic model Landmaster, they are becoming quite rare now, I have this Prospex LX Spring Drive Landmaster version, I didn’t think there was much love for watches with a compass bezel on here but I love mine so good to see another fan of this genre.

Last edited by shalako; 12th September 2022 at 14:08.

Well done Rich!

I've been gradually whittling down my collection for a little while now too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Always liked that kinetic model Landmaster, they are becoming quite rare now, I have this Prospex LX Spring Drive Landmaster version, I didn’t think there was much love for watches with a compass bezel on here but I love mine so good to see another fan of this genre.

That's rather lovely, wouldn't mind that, except it's to valuable for me and I would baby it again ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Well done Rich!

I've been gradually whittling down my collection for a little while now too.
    Thanks Neil, comes with age I guess ;)

Maybe I'll have a second, just in case, but it will again be something maintenance free and indestructable, I just don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for a service anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Having owned this one from new, one of the last ever made, it really gives me a smile when I strap it to my wrist every morning.
    Built quality and attention to detail are excellent and having finally received my 19mm Unckle Seiko rubber strap (Brexit makes buying from the UK a disaster and quite expensive) it's looking different yet again.

Great-looking watch, and in remarkably good condition for an only-watch! I somewhat envy your self-control, too...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Great-looking watch, and in remarkably good condition for an only-watch! I somewhat envy your self-control, too...

Cheers Earl,

The high grade titanium they use is something of a mystery, but from the information I can gather from users it seems very difficult to get it scratched/damaged.

Grand Master
    Maybe I'll have a second, just in case, but it will again be something maintenance free and indestructable, I just don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for a service anymore.
    Even though I service my own I can relate to this problem, owing a collection of several watches involves ever-increasing service costs. Blame the manufacturers for that, they've got away with restricting parts availability to such an extent that the independent repair trade is being killed off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Even though I service my own I can relate to this problem, owing a collection of several watches involves ever-increasing service costs. Blame the manufacturers for that, they've got away with restricting parts availability to such an extent that the independent repair trade is being killed off.
    I have just had my Omega Constellation returned for a service with no polishing. it was £450.00. If you can't afford that, don't buy a decent watch. In twenty years time, my Omega will still be going and whoever buys it can be confident that it is 100% genuine Omega. It's called protecting the brand and it was long overdue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have just had my Omega Constellation returned for a service with no polishing. it was £450.00. If you can't afford that, don't buy a decent watch. In twenty years time, my Omega will still be going and whoever buys it can be confident that it is 100% genuine Omega. It's called protecting the brand and it was long overdue.
    I can pay for it but I don't want to anymore.

I just can't explain it to myself anymore when I have family abroad that need money and I pay 500/600 Euro's for servicing a watch.

I'm glad micro brands have stepped into the gap left by the luxury brands and there's still fun to be had in the lower regions.

Great choice you have made.
    Mine has become my most trusted. It is a rugged, handsome watch which seemingly laughs off scratches and dings. Yet the precise machining of the bezel for example is very satisfying, if you appreciate that kind of thing. Oh yes, and its kinetic - how very unfashionable.
    These long gone, affordable, high quality professional series watches are true treasures.

Grand Master
    As ever, I’ll disagree with you on this point. It isn’t protecting the brand, that’s utter bollocks. Enjoy the warm feeling, because that’s what you’ve paid for.

Don’t try bullshitting me by claiming the only folks who can service your watch are the Omega service centre, I’ve taken enough examples of your watch apart to know that’s rubbish.

As ever, I’ll disagree with you on this point. It isn’t protecting the brand, that’s utter bollocks. Enjoy the warm feeling, because that’s what you’ve paid for.

Don’t try bullshitting me by claiming the only folks who can service your watch are the Omega service centre, I’ve taken enough examples of your watch apart to know that’s rubbish.
    I totally agree in-house servicing only exists to create a monopoly imagine the outcry if you had to take your BMW to a BMW service centre to top up the oil or fill with screen wash, not far off with sealed units from a lot of car manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wear mine all the time still on bracelet - even with the crappy end links!

Speaking of, i think my capacitor is a bit off - it hit 6 months and went down to a month rather quick, so may need a new movement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Wear mine all the time still on bracelet - even with the crappy end links!

Speaking of, i think my capacitor is a bit off - it hit 6 months and went down to a month rather quick, so may need a new movement.
    New capacitor only, I hope?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Mine has become my most trusted. It is a rugged, handsome watch which seemingly laughs off scratches and dings. Yet the precise machining of the bezel for example is very satisfying, if you appreciate that kind of thing. Oh yes, and its kinetic - how very unfashionable.
    These long gone, affordable, high quality professional series watches are true treasures.

I can only Agree ;)

Master

I do not dispute that independents have the knowledge and ability to service watch but the trouble is that they often fit non standard parts. Most Omega and Rolex owners want a 100% genuine watch on their wrist and the only way to guarantee this is to go to Rolex or Omega where you can be confident of having a totally genuine watch returned back to you.

I do not dispute that independents have the knowledge and ability to service watch but the trouble is that they often fit non standard parts. Most Omega and Rolex owners want a 100% genuine watch on their wrist and the only way to guarantee this is to go to Rolex or Omega where you can be confident of having a totally genuine watch returned back to you.
    Surely you can see that there’s two ways of managing this. Either parts are made readily available and thus there’s no reason for non-OEM parts to be used, or OEM parts are totally restricted and manufacturer service centres monopolise all repairs and services.

I just had a watch returned from an omega service centre with two hour hands but no minutes hand. I sent the watch there as a means of authentication, as well as the fact it was due a service. I didn’t get any warm fuzzy feeling from having two OEM hands that make it impossible to tell the time and it didn’t give me much faith in the work done given that lack of attention. £480, 14-week wait and now another 8 weeks to get it corrected (presumably, a 10-minute job). I Won’t be going there again…

New capacitor only, I hope?
    It's ok for now, let me try and charge it back up to 6 months and see how long it takes to go down. I believe I've heard good feedback with watchkings so will probably use them (I also have a few other seiko that need a clean and service!) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/watchkings

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Surely you can see that there’s two ways of managing this. Either parts are made readily available and thus there’s no reason for non-OEM parts to be used, or OEM parts are totally restricted and manufacturer service centres monopolise all repairs and services.

I just had a watch returned from an omega service centre with two hour hands but no minutes hand. I sent the watch there as a means of authentication, as well as the fact it was due a service. I didn’t get any warm fuzzy feeling from having two OEM hands that make it impossible to tell the time and it didn’t give me much faith in the work done given that lack of attention. £480, 14-week wait and now another 8 weeks to get it corrected (presumably, a 10-minute job). I Won’t be going there again…
    I’m sorry but I almost cried laughing at that. Two hour hands lmao, I’d love to have listened in to your conversation with Omega after that!

Grand Master
    Don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the ‘2 hands’ saga! How anyone could fail to spot this is beyond me!

This is the same Omega that restrict supply of parts and are reluctant to let me monkeys like me work on their hallowed timepieces, even the ones they sold 40 years ago!

I presume someone got a KUTA* over this mistake!

*70s abbreviation for kick up the arse, probably not allowed in the current-day workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I’m sorry but I almost cried laughing at that. Two hour hands lmao, I’d love to have listened in to your conversation with Omega after that!
    It was very calm but I made it clear I thought they were idiots. The service centre manager was very apologetic. I was hoping for some sort of discount (given the cost and length of time) as way of apology but nothing was forthcoming.

Well said. 👍

Master
    I was hoping for some sort of discount (given the cost and length of time) as way of apology but nothing was forthcoming.
    Sometimes you just need to ask (possibly with the mention of them not wanting pictures/details broadcast on the web/social media ). Do you have a picture showing the 2 hour hands?

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Sometimes you just need to ask (possibly with the mention of them not wanting pictures/details broadcast on the web/social media ). Do you have a picture showing the 2 hour hands?
    I didn’t even think to take a picture. Even if I had, I don’t think I would have wanted to blackmail them with one. You’re right though, rather than hoping, I should have just said I’ve waited a long time and paid over the odds for disappointing levels of service! Ah well, I’ll chalk it up to experience.

Master
    Ah well, I’ll chalk it up to experience.
    Understandable. You could still fire off an email but I'd want to suggest suitable recompense i.e. a refund, voucher against future service etc. What's the inconvenience worth, £50?

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    This thread is making me want to track down a Landmaster!

What reference is that model please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Mine is a SBDW005.

The current Spring Drive version is the SNR025J1

Blog Entries
    Well done. I couldn't do that myself. In fact it must be time to add one, it's been >6 months! (Trouble is the total lack of class shops here - and its a 3hr trip to Lisbon.)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Well done. I couldn't do that myself. In fact it must be time to add one, it's been >6 months! (Trouble is the total lack of class shops here - and its a 3hr trip to Lisbon.)
    Thanks Martyn.

Six months?, I feel for you ;)

Blog Entries

It is the last of the kinetic Landmasters made the SBDW005, watch it though there are some cowboys out there asking silly prices for garbage.