closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back after selling my collection off!

Master
    Yup I had much the same I disappeared from watch forums for about 12+ years after a seriously stinging divorce back end of 2005 that saw me having to sell off my IWC chronographs, some early Panerais, and a few other random but much loved pieces I've never quite managed to get back (ML Calendrier Retrograde and Heuer Bund flyback among them). Welcome back!

I've never bothered to try and build a comparable set to what I was forced to sell up. When funds recovered I mainly put my spare money into hifi. But it's a nice feeling to get something nice again and as you say, it doesn't need to be at some crazy nosebleed price to bring joy. I have only one 'expensive' piece now, an IWC BP43, bought on retirement though sometimes I do get the urge to flog it and get 2-3 'interesting' watches instead ... I do miss the Zenith Chronometro Tipo CP2 that went to fund it.

Never quite understood how how the current Rolex mania came about, only one I owned was a 5513 which I bought and then sold for the same £1800 way back 20 years ago, when a rattly old Rolex was just a rattly old Rolex ... still is in my world, but somehow 'collectibility' and 'investment potential' have got all strangely jumbled up with 'desirability'. On pure horological grounds there are no current Rolex models I'd take over quite a number of current IWCs, Zeniths or even UNs ... Tudor is a much more interesting brand these days in my view. (Love the Pelagos, but I'm quietly hunting a slate dial BB Bronze).

So I don't think you are missing much in selling on your Rolexes. With China's ongoing property crash, and the Ukraine-induced oil and gash shock enveloping pretty much everywhere right now with the exception of North America, I'm sure the speculative bubble will burst at some stage, possibly sooner rather than later ... your move may well turn out to have been well-timed. Interesting Rolex are so on top of this, they must be the most fearful of all of the house of cards coming tumbling down, with a lot of collateral damage to the brand.

I’ll ad my name to the list of ex-Rolex owners who sold up and now owns Tudors!

Whilst I agree Rolex can sell to whoever they want to, it’s definitely not right for an AD to call you up to tell you off/tell you you are being punished. Fine, refuse to add your name to the list next time you walk in to actively try and buy one but to phone you up is another example (along with the whole “dealer relationship” thing) of why I hate the pretentiousness of the brand nowadays.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th October 2022 at 20:49.

Can someone tell me what they should do?

If they sell to people who flip, everyone complains that flippers are buying up all the watches and they can't get one at retail.

If they counteract and take steps to not sell to people who flip, everyone complains that they're too big for themselves and have no right to comment on what people do with their property.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

If they sell to people who flip, everyone complains that flippers are buying up all the watches and they can't get one at retail.

If they counteract and take steps to not sell to people who flip, everyone complains that they're too big for themselves and have no right to comment on what people do with their property.

Quite simple, if they discover a flipper don’t sell them any more. You don’t need to ring them up and slap their legs, just don’t sell them another when they next walk into an AD.

Can someone tell me what they should do? ...

I'd politely suggest they man-up and ignore the complaints - their property to dispose of as they see fit.

Of course, if they profiteer off the back of SC, they should expect to be despised and ignored subsequently.

Actions have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Quite simple, if they discover a flipper don’t sell them any more. You don’t need to ring them up and slap their legs, just don’t sell them another when they next walk into an AD.
    Is it fairer to leave someone thinking they're on a list for years though?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'd politely suggest they man-up and ignore the complaints - their property to dispose of as they see fit.

Of course, if they profiteer off the back of SC, they should expect to be despised and ignored subsequently.

Actions have consequences.
    I wasn't clear, the 'they' I was referring to was Rolex.

I'm not sure it would work like that though. Someone, for whatever reason, gets spotted buying a Rolex and immediately selling and gets blacklisted - fair enough, that is up to Rolex and benefits us all to stomp out the scalpers.

The individual would then have to contact the AD to get on a list again at which point they could explain he is not allowed to join it. It's the phoning him up with the only reason of effectively telling him off that I think is out of order.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm not sure it would work like that though. Someone, for whatever reason, gets spotted buying a Rolex and immediately selling and gets blacklisted - fair enough, that is up to Rolex and benefits us all to stomp out the scalpers.

The individual would then have to contact the AD to get on a list again at which point they could explain he is not allowed to join it. It's the phoning him up with the only reason of effectively telling him off that I think is out of order.
    This assumes the seller isn't already on the list for something else. I can see the argument both ways, but it's not clear cut. I certainly wouldn't want to be lectured, but personally I would like to be told the situation.

Master
    Great to see you back mate alweays a pleasure dealing with you and I had a similar stance with my business during COVID but life goes on :)

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Covid killed my business so moved on all but my Apple Watch!

Sold my beloved AP Openworked and now a few years later decided it’s about time I got back on the saddle so it were..

Unfortunately the AP days are long behind me, plus Mr Rolex called me as they wasn’t too pleased I’d sold my watches on, funny as that kind of put me off Rolex yet my first purchase was sort of from the same stable (actually buying another Rolex might be out of the question now)

Anyways I picked up my first Tudor and a standard Pelagos and the excitement doesn’t change be it a 4K watch or a 40k watch.

Here it is and my first Q

Can I buy the FXD nato strap on its own without owning the designated watch and if so where’s best?

Edit: Tell I’m out of touch as I can’t upload the pictures

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lots of people sitting on lists, or think they are, who will never get “the call” …

My understanding was the call was to chastise the seller not to inform them of their deletion from a list.

... I wasn't clear, the 'they' I was referring to was Rolex.
    And - to be fair to you - I was absolutely the whole beer. All of it. Same again tonight. Too many good pubs round here...

Smile

Who is “they” here please?

Rolex are a wholesale business who deal with appointed retailers. One deals with retailers and the other with retail customers buying watches.

Both parties are well within their rights to sell to retailers/consumers who are a) properly qualified and b) buying for their own use and not resellers. It’s the same in many other consumer goods markets so nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Who is “they” here please?

Rolex are a wholesale business who deal with appointed retailers. One deals with retailers and the other with retail customers buying watches.

Both parties are well within their rights to sell to retailers/consumers who are a) properly qualified and b) buying for their own use and not resellers. It’s the same in many other consumer goods markets so nothing new.
    Utter bullshit, and you know it.

I have never experienced a Rolex retailer who appeared/came across as 'properly qualified' - they are constrained in terms of their retail space for the brand and have targets, nothing more.

I am unaware of the particular part of consumer legislation which restricts a purchase at retail that is limited for 'personal use'.

Stop defending the situation - it sucks (and you know it). I understand you are in that space etc. but please do not patronise those of us who have had the brand for many, many years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Utter bullshit, and you know it.

I have never experienced a Rolex retailer who appeared/came across as 'properly qualified' - they are constrained in terms of their retail space for the brand and have targets, nothing more.

I am unaware of the particular part of consumer legislation which restricts a purchase at retail that is limited for 'personal use'.

Stop defending the situation - it sucks (and you know it). I understand you are in that space etc. but please do not patronise those of us who have had the brand for many, many years.

Thank you for your frank reply Chris.

My comment on “qualification” was entirely about the retailer who “qualifies” the customer enquiries and you seem to have misunderstood that given your response.

I made no reference to any “consumer legislation” to quote your phrase here by the way. It is a choice, for both consumer and retailer.

I am also not “defending”, to use your phrase, but am actually just responding to some of the posts here per se for the sake of both balance and fact. I’ve actually been buying the Rolex brand for almost 34 years so please don’t you “patronise” me with a misguided and ill judged reply here.

Craftsman
    Welcome back, sounds like you made a great choice with the Pelagos (what do you think of the new 39mm model). I kind of agree re AD purchasing experiences, they have all be pretty average for myself apart from when I purchased my first luxury peice, an Omega Seamaster 300m back in 2006.

To add to that, a couple of years ago I needed to have the bracelet adjusted on the Seamaster but wasn't confident at that time, to do this myself, so I went into my local Omega boutique and asked them to do the resize for me. I fully expected to pay for the adjustment and after the mini consultation regarding the size I wanted, I came back after 30 mins to which the bracelet had been resized perfectly and also (whilst the bracelet was off) cleaned the watch for me as well.

When asked regarding the cost and I was very kindly told, "no charge", so I walked out the Omega boutique a happy chap with a watch that fitted perfectly and money in my pocket.

I was extremely impressed with the service provided by Omega, I wonder if Rolex would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Thank you for your frank reply Chris.

My comment on “qualification” was entirely about the retailer who “qualifies” the customer enquiries and you seem to have misunderstood that given your response.

I made no reference to any “consumer legislation” to quote your phrase here by the way. It is a choice, for both consumer and retailer.

I am also not “defending”, to use your phrase, but am actually just responding to some of the posts here per se for the sake of both balance and fact. I’ve actually been buying the Rolex brand for almost 34 years so please don’t you “patronise” me with a misguided and ill judged reply here.
    Of course - apologies for being 'direct'.

I have owned them for a similar amount of time, but I refuse to play the game they seem to insist on these days - hence my disdain for the process and (to some extent) those who go along with it/support it. Porsche have similar 'dance' for their halo models, I find it ridiculous, but clearly there are enough people who go along with it so it perpetuates.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Welcome back, sounds like you made a great choice with the Pelagos (what do you think of the new 39mm model). I kind of agree re AD purchasing experiences, they have all be pretty average for myself apart from when I purchased my first luxury peice, an Omega Seamaster 300m back in 2006.

To add to that, a couple of years ago I needed to have the bracelet adjusted on the Seamaster but wasn't confident at that time, to do this myself, so I went into my local Omega boutique and asked them to do the resize for me. I fully expected to pay for the adjustment and after the mini consultation regarding the size I wanted, I came back after 30 mins to which the bracelet had been resized perfectly and also (whilst the bracelet was off) cleaned the watch for me as well.

When asked regarding the cost and I was very kindly told, "no charge", so I walked out the Omega boutique a happy chap with a watch that fitted perfectly and money in my pocket.

I was extremely impressed with the service provided by Omega, I wonder if Rolex would do the same.

I think it depends entirely on the retailer. I'm lucky enough to work just around the corner from an Omega boutique and about 5 mins away from Rolex St James, and I've had exemplary service (often at no cost) from both.

Thanks guys, I’m loving the Pelagos and as much as I know it isn’t a Rolex or AP in a way I’m just as happy!

Picked up a few various nato style straps I’m alternating it on.

Did a check with Rolex and WOS and it looks as if it just WOS who have a problem with me, I’m apparently ‘black listed’ with them, nevermind I’ll go elsewhere if I ever want a Rolex.

Onwards and upwards

Great attitude. Though I struggle to see why you’d ever want another one now!

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Great attitude. Though I struggle to see why you’d ever want another one now!
    Why wouldn't he?

Exactly, it was watches of Switzerland, not Rolex that treated him shabbily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back and what a great choice of watch. Sad state of affairs when you can't liquidate your own property as you like. Enjoy and wear it in good health!

BW,
    Michael

I give up