closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back after selling my collection off!

Back after selling my collection off!

Covid killed my business so moved on all but my Apple Watch!

Sold my beloved AP Openworked and now a few years later decided it’s about time I got back on the saddle so it were..

Unfortunately the AP days are long behind me, plus Mr Rolex called me as they wasn’t too pleased I’d sold my watches on, funny as that kind of put me off Rolex yet my first purchase was sort of from the same stable (actually buying another Rolex might be out of the question now)

Anyways I picked up my first Tudor and a standard Pelagos and the excitement doesn’t change be it a 4K watch or a 40k watch.

Here it is and my first Q

Can I buy the FXD nato strap on its own without owning the designated watch and if so where’s best?

Edit: Tell I’m out of touch as I can’t upload the pictures

What’s the best method to post pics now?

Has to be via my iPhone so an app or something simple please

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    What’s the best method to post pics now?

Has to be via my iPhone so an app or something simple please
    Tapatalk App is easiest for me, I’m sure an AD will sell you an FXD NATO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covid killed my business…………

…………Rolex called me as they wasn’t too pleased I’d sold my watches on……
    Absolute arseholes. This makes my blood boil. I hope you told them to foxtrot oscar!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Absolute arseholes. This makes my blood boil. I hope you told them to foxtrot oscar!
    The more I hear regarding Rolex the less interested I become.

Welcome back
    How dare any third party business express their views about what a customer chooses to do with their property once they have bought it and title has passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 12th September 2022 at 09:26.

Master
    Out of the many watches I've bought, I had one great AD experience buying a Tag years ago. Everything else has been pretty average, the excitement and buying experience hasn't correlated to the price of the watches at all.

I don't know about buying the nato but having owned an FXD id say the fabric velcro strap was excellent and I hated the rubber. A few other members felt the same. Worth noting if you wanted the rubber, also the velcro now comes in different lengths too.

Master
    How did Rolex know you sold your watches on?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    How did Rolex know you sold your watches on?
    Due to my financial position I sold a few to a couple of watch dealers.

Rolex have a team checking this $hit out and long story short contacted my AD to say they have seen a watch my AD sold be put up for sale and obviously given the current market above retail, said AD then contact me and said they will no longer be willing to sell me another Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Out of the many watches I've bought, I had one great AD experience buying a Tag years ago. Everything else has been pretty average, the excitement and buying experience hasn't correlated to the price of the watches at all.

I don't know about buying the nato but having owned an FXD id say the fabric velcro strap was excellent and I hated the rubber. A few other members felt the same. Worth noting if you wanted the rubber, also the velcro now comes in different lengths too.
    AP has been my best experience by far, they flew me out to tour the factory which was epic!

With the FXD I plan to get a strap maker to take the strap and reuse the buckles etc and make me a similar design but in black 

Rolex have a team checking this $hit out and long story short contacted my AD to say they have seen a watch my AD sold be put up for sale and obviously given the current market above retail, said AD then contact me and said they will no longer be willing to sell me another Rolex!
    Would they rather see you starve, freeze or go homeless? I bet after that AD experience you wouldn’t want one now anyway.

Anyway, I’m glad things are looking better for you now.

Master
    Would they rather see you starve, freeze or go homeless? I bet after that AD experience you wouldn’t want one now anyway.

Anyway, I’m glad things are looking better for you now.
    In a word, yes.

Yep they were happy taking my money and a considerably amount at that!

To be honest at the time I had more pressing things on my mind so didn’t really argue my point but to be honest guy I always dealt with said it came from HO so out of his hands.

Be interesting with all the data laws to send a request into to Rolex and WOS to see what details of mine they have on files

Or to put it another way, would you want to give any company that treated you like that your cash? I would not.
    It’s no loss to you, there are other watches out there.
    They have lost a customer, yes they can sell all the Rolex they get currently, but nothing lasts for ever, and I am sure you would not go back to buy anything else.

Grand Master

Don't worry about it, you've proved you can survive without owning a Rolex, ask yourself whether you really want to own one again considering the crazy supply situation. Crazy is the only word that sums it all up.

Not fussed about Rolex TBH

Horses for courses but the Pelagos is all the tool like things I wish my Seadweller was!

Would of liked to try out the 41mm Sub without the date but not losing any sleep over it.

Loving the Pelagos

Would of liked a ani/digi Breitling but seems they have really slimed down that line now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the business but I guess you are coming good now.

I’m sure you will find plenty of watches to meet your needs.

Certainly would be interesting to serve a Subject Access Request to Rolex and the AD for a copy of your data.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...-of-your-data/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    nice to see you back PB.
    Sorry you seem to have had a rubbish time but glad to hear things are on the up again.
    Love the Pelagos.

Sorry to hear about your business and the watch drama. Pelagos is a solid watch to start it up with again. Send the wife in to ask for a ND 41!

Craftsman
    Welcome back< glad things are picking up for you.

Tony

Don’t want to get too much into it but safe to say my world pretty much changed overnight!

Sold off my watches which was a tidy sum and down sized my cars so managed to cover myself but it’s taken all I built up and some :-(

I can’t ever see myself getting back to where I was but I’m okay with that!

On a side note doesn’t anyone know or can recommend a place to make custom nato straps? I have reached out to Carl at GasGasBones but know he’s a busy man and as yet I haven’t heard back.

Does anyone have an email address for Rolex?

Got Tapatalk to work

Here is my Pelagos

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone have an email address for Rolex?

customer.services@rolex.co.uk

Really sorry to hear about your business OP. I am curious what sector you were / are in. I've sold off most of my collection to find a new house and I don't see me replacing my outgoings any time soon. I'm looking at Casio and Seiko for kicks rather than Tudor so things can't be all that bad👍

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Thanks, I couldn’t find anything on their site and a quick Google did bring up the above but wanted to check

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Really sorry to hear about your business OP. I am curious what sector you were / are in. I've sold off most of my collection to find a new house and I don't see me replacing my outgoings any time soon. I'm looking at Casio and Seiko for kicks rather than Tudor so things can't be all that bad
    Corporate hospitality just went overnight pretty much, my other business is I’m a domestic appliance engineer that suffered but has slowly picked back up and is now my main source of income.

Oh yeah buying a 4K watch is still a luxury and not something I did without a lot of consideration in my position now and moving forward.

Master
    Great to hear of your business recovery. I have friends that were in a similar position and I know the tough times they have been through. Good luck, though I’m sure you don’t need it. If you have managed to survive the last couple of years, you can tackle anything.

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Great to hear of your business recovery. I have friends that were in a similar position and I know the tough times they have been through. Good luck, though I’m sure you don’t need it. If you have managed to survive the last couple of years, you can tackle anything.
    Thank you, yeah it’s been hard I’m now living on less then 50% of what I used to turn over, luckily I had the means to cover my income and took the approach of reducing my out going’s with what was left.

Bit of a kick in the balls but hey ho I’m still happy and more importantly healthy (I did have some dark days mind)

Back on topic my spring bar tool arrives today so I can fit a generic nato I have here

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Welcome back
    How dare any third party business express their views about what a customer chooses to do with their property once they have bought it and title has passed

Why not? They didn’t try to stop him selling it, nor could they as it’s his property, but they absolutely can choose not to sell him another which is what they’ve done.

OP had a genuine reason to flip and by the sounds of it he made the right decision given the circumstances. But we all know people flip Rolex all day long for profit and anything they can do to prevent that should be applauded IMO.

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your difficult time but it seems like you're in a better place now. Nice as the 15407 is, the visit to the factory is beyond awesome and very few people are lucky enough to be invited for such a visit. Good on you.

Enjoy the Pelagos. It looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Welcome back and sorry to hear about your difficult time but it seems like you're in a better place now. Nice as the 15407 is, the visit to the factory is beyond awesome and very few people are lucky enough to be invited for such a visit. Good on you.

Enjoy the Pelagos. It looks great
    Yes the AP and then RM tour was amazing, had a booked signed by Mr Papi

That’s something I’ll never forget.

Was it yourself who had the custom Submariner commissioned a few years back? Matt ceramic bezel insert on a nato, looked great!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Why not? They didn’t try to stop him selling it, nor could they as it’s his property, but they absolutely can choose not to sell him another which is what they’ve done.

OP had a genuine reason to flip and by the sounds of it he made the right decision given the circumstances. But we all know people flip Rolex all day long for profit and anything they can do to prevent that should be applauded IMO.
    I genuinely don’t understand this point of view I’m afraid. Once you own something it is your property to do with as you wish. That’s what owning means isn’t it?
    If you have the money to buy a product, and can sell it at a profit because people will pay over the odds, what’s the problem?
    Why don’t Rolex just raise their rrp to the price that some people will pay/the market will bear, rather than interfering in what happens to their product after they’ve sold it (which I thought meant they no longer own it?) - it feels very odd/wrong to me, but some people seem to think it’s fine? Genuinely befuddled how they believe that punishing someone for selling a watch they own by preventing them buying another is in any way ‘fair’?

Last edited by RobDad; 13th September 2022 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Was it yourself who had the custom Submariner commissioned a few years back? Matt ceramic bezel insert on a nato, looked great!
    Yep that was me ;)

Went to a member on here, not sure if he’s still got it.

You know I miss that watch and my 116600 the most out of all my collection, the AP’s were amazing but I little limited in use.

Plan is to put the Pelagos onto a nato for a similar look/style
    Last edited by pitbull666; 13th September 2022 at 22:25.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I genuinely don’t understand this point of view I’m afraid. Once you own something it is your property to do with as you wish. That’s what owning means isn’t it?
    If you have the money to buy a product, and can sell it at a profit because people will pay over the odds, what’s the problem?
    Why don’t Rolex just raise their rrp to the price that some people will pay/the market will bear, rather than interfering in what happens to their product after they’ve sold it (which I thought meant they no longer own it?) - it feels very odd/wrong to me, but some people seem to think it’s fine? Genuinely befuddled how they believe that punishing someone for selling a watch they own by preventing them buying another is in any way ‘fair’?

I think we may have to disagree on this one then, as I think it’s absolutely fair. They haven’t prevented the person from selling the watch, nor could they. They’re simply deciding who to sell their in-demand products too going forward. I think you’re inadvertently conflating “I won’t sell you another watch” to be an ownership challenge to watches that have been previously sold. It’s simply not the case.

For the in-demand models we all know there’s a long queue (or whatever we’re calling it these days). Plenty of folk who want one can’t even get into the queue, let alone make it to the front. Why should people who are buying and then seen selling for a sizeable profit be allowed to keep buying more watches at RRP, at the expense of others who don’t get to buy one at all (aka the people having to pay grey prices..)? Surely that would be the definition of unfair? I can only applaud the brand for taking steps to stop those flipping for a quick profit from reaching the front of the long queue again.

As for the argument to just raise prices to match grey, that would be a very short sighted way to set prices. If the grey prices crash, should Rolex reverse and drop prices? Huge brand risk to Rolex in the long term and who benefits in the short term - certainly not customers.

p.s. none of this is meant to be derogatory towards the OP, he did what he needed to do in the circumstances and he’s perfectly entitled to sell his property, just as the manufacturer is perfectly entitled to decide who to sell too in the future.

All difference views with different perspectives.

At the time I had more things on my plate to worry about but in hindsight I wish I had of said more!

I can understand the stance against flippers and it’s hard to draw a line from their perspective.

But what annoys me now is that fact they called me, almost to tell me off for selling something that is mine, if I’d of called them after a watch and they said ‘sorry we can sell you another Rolex’ I’d kind of get that, but to feel they needed to call me is a little much in my opinion.

But what annoys me now is that fact they called me, almost to tell me off for selling something that is mine, if I’d of called them after a watch and they said ‘sorry we can sell you another Rolex’ I’d kind of get that, but to feel they needed to call me is a little much in my opinion.
    They have no watches to sell so have to spend their time doing something i guess..

Master
    Blog Entries
    All difference views with different perspectives.

At the time I had more things on my plate to worry about but in hindsight I wish I had of said more!

I can understand the stance against flippers and it’s hard to draw a line from their perspective.

I agree, if they didn’t want to sell you any more watches they could have simply black listed you. They didn’t need to call you at a difficult time and slap your legs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I couldn’t find anything on their site and a quick Google did bring up the above but wanted to check
    It is there - though maybe a phone call would be quicker:

https://www.rolex.com/watch-care-and...edkingdom.html

Welcome back
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th September 2022 at 12:42.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

At the end of the day your property is within solely your rights to do what you want with.
    If there is no contract specifically forbidding resale then wos need to go and do one. I can understand reselling for a profit is not great but that is just the way of the market we are participating in.
    Do they make a profit yes… so they are basically saying it’s ok for themselves to sell on but not for jo public . Nothing more than sour grapes. Have a market price if it’s a limited commodity and go with that .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great to hear you're on the way up again :)

Never mind the Rolex, you done what needed to be done.

I have the blue Pelagos and love it. I sill wish I can get my hands on a 126610 LV at RRP, but that's not possible, so I console myself in the fact that I would not be happy wearing & enjoying a 9K watch I can sell anytime for 18K. Lol. What a world we live in.

I wear mine on a 'high' quality grey Phenome Nato which does not cost an arm and a leg and really suits the watch.

Enjoy the Pelagos and don't look back!

They (Rolex & AD) where happy when I lost money on my YM and DD haha

I’m over it and really happy with the Pelagos (might get flack for this) it’s feels more like what I wanted my Sub and SD to feel and look like, I actually did a custom sub which was nearly ‘there’ I just couldn’t make the dial matte.

Plus I feel a lot safer walking around with this on my wrist then I did the AP

Forgot about the lume…

Used to my watches not having any

Welcome back after your period of absence PB. The Pelagos is a fine watch with which to rekindle your watch interest.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your business during Covid, but no one could reasonably criticise the selling of the watches you had.

It is reasonable for Rolex to check on where secondary market watches originate, however rather than tell you off and black listing, considering the seismic event that has been the pandemic, it would have been far better to have gently identified the facts. It shows a disappointing lack of nuance.

If it was me I would write to the agent, and their head office, and copy it to Rolex. You were an excellent customer, one they ought to cultivate, yet you were hit with something out of your control. I’m not one for confrontation, but I would challenge it.

Glad business is in the up, you are back, and have a fine watch

Dave

Craftsman
    Welcome back to WISdom mate.

Hope all goes better for you now. Sounds like the pandemic certainly hit you hard. Always a shame to hear of small businesses taking a hit.

Can’t go wrong with Tudor. Had a few myself and always been impressed. The Pelagos has a lot going for it and I personally prefer the newer in-house movement version.
    Last edited by MartC; 15th September 2022 at 06:47.

Fair - I’m in favour of the stance Rolex take on this, but not necessarily on how they deliver the message. Were you still down on a list for any other watches? That would perhaps explain why they proactively called. Or I guess there’s an argument for it being transparent at least.
    Last edited by M1011; 14th September 2022 at 23:31.

In some ways I’m comforted that they are out there looking for people buying and flipping for profit and insisting AD’s remove those type of customers off lists. But why is so many land in grey dealers windows that are brand new ????

Chasing down people that have owned their watches for a while is a nonsense.

That said it’s an issue they’ve consciously created themselves so it’s all a bit rich tbh for Rolex to get involved.

Welcome back
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    The more I hear regarding Rolex the less interested I become.
    Exactly why I'm happy to wear homages of their pieces, but would never buy a genuine one. Sounds like they feel their clients "rent" them, or should somehow be beholding to them for selling pieces.

They've lost touch with watch collectors. It's all pure snobbery now.