timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What makes Seiko collectible?

What makes Seiko collectible?

This is an interesting read:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/what...o-collectible/

I also found this history lesson fascinating:

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/podca...ling-factories

I'm relatively new to this game but nearly all my small collection are Seiko now. I think that they are still good value, although prices are steadily increasing.

I'd be interested in hearing the perspective of some of the more seasoned collector's on here.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 11th September 2022 at 11:59.

Of the millions and millions of watches Seiko have made over the years very few are collectable in reality.

Even most 1960's Seikos can still be purchased for very little money compared to the main Swiss makers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I was okay with Seiko until I arrived here
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    They have some history, are reasonably cheap to buy depending on which end of the Seiko scale you go from, they have no waiting lists and servicing is cheap. O , and they are nice watches:)

It's a question that invites discussion of semantics. For example, if you own more than one watch: you have a collection and are a collector.
    I'd argue that intent must be there - you must deliberately set-out to form a collection.
    A collection should also have a theme: it might be 'wristwatches', or it might be 'Green-dialled Seiko Alpinist wristwatches', or whatever.

Unless they have huge amounts of space and cash, most collectors quickly realise they need a self-limiting theme.
    Seiko, with its large ranges of similar models, incessant churn of SEs - most no more than tweaks to details, plus erstwhile value-for-money pricing, is a natural choice for Collectors.

Seiko itself is killing this particular golden goose with its unrelenting price-rises. Watches that were once Japanese-made bargains have seen manufacture shifted to Korea or China, and they now compete with price-equivalents made in Switzerland and Germany. With persistent QA problems - e.g. patchy timekeeping, misaligned hands, dials, rehauts & bezels - Seiko needs to improve quality to match prices.

All that said, Seiko also has massive horological credibility. It's been around since the C19th, it's innovated constantly, it almost single-handedly bought the Swiss to their knees, and it continues to make some superbly engineered wristwatches which can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best.

I think there's been a shift in mindsets, too. I've noticed that few themed collections get shared on here, and those that do seem apologetic - with talk of "Madness!" and "I really should sell them all...". This despite the value of the entire collection being less than one mundane mass-produced Rolex. The snobbery that accompanies the current obsession with a handful of expensive brands also plays its part to deter.

Seems a shame to me. I love a themed collection - especially the obsessive/completist sort - and my favourite threads on here are SOTCs
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 13th September 2022 at 11:52. Reason: Cull of egregious apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    They have some history, are reasonably cheap to buy depending on which end of the Seiko scale you go from, they have no waiting lists and servicing is cheap. O , and they are nice watches:)
    I’d add that there seem to be thousands of different models, with new ones seemingly appearing every week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk